Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 01-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of
Default Bush II

Inauguation, second term agenda . . .hopes? fears?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Bush's Second Term Begins With Oath

Thursday, January 20, 2005

WASHINGTON — President George W. Bush was sworn in as the nation's 43rd president on Thursday, and pledged to spread freedom to "break the reign of hatred and resentment."

In his inaugural speech, the president said the survival of liberty in the United States (search) depends on the achievement of liberty elsewhere.

"In a world moving toward liberty, we are determined to show the meaning and promise of liberty," he said. "No one is fit to be a master and no one deserves to be a slave."

Watch live coverage of the inauguration on the FOX News Channel or watch streaming video on FOXNews.com by clicking here.

During the oath of office, Bush rested his hand on the same Bible he used in 2001.

The oath was administered by Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist (search), who is recovering from thyroid cancer treatments. Rehnquist entered the stage with the help of a walking cane. A breathing tube or device to help him speak was visible beneath his scarf, and his voice was raspy as he asked the president to repeat after him.

"I, George Walker Bush do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of the president of the United States and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God," Bush swore.

In attendance at Thursday's ceremony were friends and foes, including three former presidents, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Jimmy Carter, as well as Bush's November rival, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry. The U.S. Diplomatic Corps, U.S. Supreme Court justices, members of Congress and the administration and the Joint Chiefs of Staff also attended.

The ceremony and parade to follow were expected to be attended by a half a million Americans.
House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., administered the oath of office to Cheney, who solemnly swore to "support and defend the Consitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and dometic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion and I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter, so help me God."

Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss., chairman of the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, delivered the call to order and welcoming remarks.

Accompanied by tunes performed by the U.S. Marine Band, Bush was all smiles as he descended down the steps on the West side of the Capitol building. After the oaths, the band was performing "Hail to the Chief" in honor of the president and "Ruffles and Flourishes" for Cheney.

Bush started his day at St. John's Church, located across from the White House, for a traditional pre-inauguration service.

Rev. Luis Leon gave a sweeping inaugural sermon, discussing post-Sept. 11 fears and the general "goodness" of people. Leon said his and his wife's friendship with Bush had grown over the last four years.

Invoking the famed John Winthrop phrase used by late President Reagan about "a city on the hill," Leon said he hoped the nation could again claim the sense of community that those words inspired.

"I hope we can become better people," said Leon. As a servant of God, he told the president, he hoped he could invite everyone to be good people, better people, whether black, brown, rich, poor, gay or straight.

"We are one," the reverend said, adding that he prayed for the president to help the nation overcome fear brought on terrorism.

"Do not let our fear overcome our faithfulness," he urged. Leon also delivered the invocation for the ceremony and Pastor Kribyjon Caldwell was performing the benediction.

Bush: 'I Will Speak About Freedom'

In the days leading up to the inaugural ceremony, Bush prepared his address, rehearsing in the Family Theater of the White House.

"The president right now is on draft 21 of his remarks. The edits that have taken place over the last couple of days are minor changes. Every time there's a change it becomes a new draft," White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan told reporters on Wednesday.

Bush starts his second term with greater challenges than he faced at the beginning of his first term, including a war in Iraq, an overall War on Terror and several domestic policy initiatives, such as Social Security reforms, that members of his own party have questioned.

Bush will leave policy initiatives out of the inaugural speech, saving them instead for his State of the Union address, scheduled for Feb. 2.

Speaking at the "Celebration of Freedom" concert at the Ellipse on Wednesday, Bush previewed his speech, pledging to try to unify a country divided by partisan differences.

"I will speak about freedom. This is the cause that unites our country and gives hope to the world and will lead us to a future of peace. We have a calling from beyond the stars to stand for freedom, and America will always be faithful to that cause," the president said. "I am eager and ready for the work ahead."

On Wednesday night at the Texas State Society Black Tie and Boots Ball, Bush said that the more free nations there are, the more peaceful the world will be. He then pledged not to deliver his speech ahead of time, saying that he was looking forward to giving his remarks at Thursday's ceremony.

'If you get to bed early enough, you'll be looking forward to it too," Bush jokingly told the 12,000-strong crowd of supporters.

Pomp and Circumstance

After the speech, the president and vice president will head into the U.S. Capitol for a luncheon in Statuary Hall. Congressional leaders and 200 other invited guests will join Bush and Cheney for the lunch that will also celebrate the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition reaching the Pacific and the 100th anniversary of Theodore Roosevelt's inaugural at the Capitol.

Bush is expected to accept the official framed photo of the swearing-in ceremony, the flags that were flying over the U.S. Capitol during the ceremony and lead crystal hurricane lamps produced by Lenox, Inc.

The 1.7-mile inaugural parade featuring 11,000 people, floats, vehicles and horses will be held along Pennsylvania Avenue from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The National Weather Service forecast calls for mostly cloudy conditions, with a high around 34. Winds of 10 to 15 mph are expected and temperatures may drop to around 19 by evening.

During the parade, the Senate is expected to convene and could approve Bush's new nominees for the Departments of Agriculture and Education - Nebraska Gov. Mike Johanns and Bush adviser Margaret Spellings, respectively. Both were approved by Senate committees on Wednesday.

National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice was also confirmed by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to take the post of secretary of state, replacing retiring Secretary Colin Powell, but Democrats demanded that her confirmation be held up a week so they can review her answers during two days of hearings that ended Wednesday morning.

Protests and Parties

Although temperatures are expected to be low, security isn't. More than 6,000 law enforcement personnel will be on hand for Thursday events in what has been described as the tightest inaugural security ever deployed.

Gaining access to the area around the presidential inauguration and parade route will be very difficult. More than 100 city blocks are shut down, manhole covers have been welded shut and concrete barriers and security fences will restrict pedestrians. A 120-person high-tech monitoring team will have cameras at key sites. Anyone planning on attending the inauguration ceremony or parade will have to pass through some type of security.

Still, protesters have been given space along the parade route to make their views known. The antiwar group International ANSWER will rally on bleachers at Fourth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest. It is the first time that antiwar demonstrators will have access to bleachers on the parade route. Other demonstrations have been planned throughout the downtown area.

Thursday night is the big party night. Although various organizations held pre-inauguration day events and galas during the week, Thursday is the night of the nine official inaugural balls, all of which the president and first lady likely will briefly stop by for a dance.

To close out the week of activities, a national prayer service will be held from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the National Cathedral in Washington on Friday.

FOX News' Sharon Kehnemui Liss and Liza Porteus and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I thought I would throw out a topic on the agenda for the next four years.

Admittedly, I havn't read the details of the agenda
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of
Default RE:Bush II

I think the most striking thing of this term is that the Federal Marriage Amendment is off of the agenda. I think this is significant. All analysis is that the social conservatives are really what put him over the top in 04. His agenda basically excludes their primary concern. Unless we have Supreme Court nominations that come up and reignite this base, the 06 mid term election may go to the Democrats.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I don't know why it should be such a big agenda item for social conservatives... gay marriage got slapped down handily in all 11 state elections this November.. it seems like a good issue to leave to the states, anyway.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all
Default RE: Bush II

http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/scp/viewer/index_new2.php?client_id=1172&event_id=14994
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful speech. Very reminiscent of Lincoln and Kennedy... Divine providence continues to shine the this, the greatest nation on god's green earth! Hail to the Chief!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

really? Lincoln and Kennedy? no, not at all. They spoke of inclusion and bringing the nation together.

Ulysses Grant or W.H. Harrison are much more comparitive. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I beleive Kennedy's inaugrial speech was ripe with aggressive foreign policy pursuits - the expansion of freedom and the fight against tyrrany. I think Kennedy and Bush are really almost identical in their beleifs that freedom should the US's gift to the world.

People forget that JFK was really the world's first neocon president.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

Old 01-20-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Although I didn't watch the drive through Washington completely... what I did watch I was keeping an eye out for watchers "turning their back on Bush".... I noticed one guy with his back turned, but upon closer inspection I think he was a Secret Service agent watching the crowd.

In either case, the "turn your back on Bush" thing worked brilliantly. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2005, 05:42 PM   #10
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Actually the boos on TV were there just as much as the cheers if not more.

#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was referring to vinnies posted link to the "Turn your back on Bush" protest thing. And on that website one of the key points was to not bring attention to yourself... only to turn your back. So that didn't go well...
Old 01-20-2005, 09:01 PM   #12
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

"Wonderful speech. Very reminiscent of Lincoln and Kennedy... Divine providence continues to shine the this, the greatest nation on god's green earth! Hail to the Chief!"

OH MY GOD...oh my god..sorry, but that is all that came to my head when I read the words of DUDE..Comparing anything the comes out of Bush's mouth with a Kennedy or Lincoln- that is despicable..a disgrace to two great Presidents..but then again, nothing surprises me coming out of that mouth..whatever bush says is gold- regardless of the BS he spews
Old 01-20-2005, 09:39 PM   #13
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

A truly historic day -
That's my President.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:59 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah reeds, close minded as most leftists.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-21-2005, 12:57 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Long live the King.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 02:58 AM   #16
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

Long live the king?

Disturbing

As for the speech, he did good for Bush. No one would ever confuse Bush and his impaired language abilities with a true statesman like Kennedy or Lincoln but he stuck it out and didn't really embarass himself.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:46 AM   #17
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Why does every liberal on this board take offense to the fact that chumdawg and dude support their president, even though you may not?
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #18
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

"Why does every liberal on this board take offense to the fact that chumdawg and dude support their president, even though you may not?"

supporting bush is one thing- comparing him to Lincoln and Kennedy is something totally different...something way out of line
Old 01-21-2005, 07:58 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves; and, under the rule of a just God, cannot long retain it.'"

" At this second gathering, our duties are defined not by the words I use, but by the history we have seen together. For a half century, America defended our own freedom by standing watch on distant borders. After the shipwreck of communism came years of relative quiet, years of repose, years of sabbatical - and then there came a day of fire.

We have seen our vulnerability - and we have seen its deepest source. For as long as whole regions of the world simmer in resentment and tyranny - prone to ideologies that feed hatred and excuse murder - violence will gather, and multiply in destructive power, and cross the most defended borders, and raise a mortal threat. There is only one force of history that can break the reign of hatred and resentment, and expose the pretensions of tyrants, and reward the hopes of the decent and tolerant, and that is the force of human freedom. "

Whatever reeds.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:46 PM   #20
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Where was the disclaimer that bush's speech doesn't apply to our allies Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan, Turkmenistan and to a lesser extent Russia, where freedom and liberty are virtually non-existent?

or is this administartion supporting a people's revolution in these lands?

Bush did say that he and the US will "stand by those seeking freedom" didn't he?

my favorite misstatement in the speech was this whopper:

Quote:
From the day of our founding, we have proclaimed that every man and woman on this Earth has rights, and dignity and matchless value because they bear the image of the maker of heaven and Earth.
guess he and his speechwriter forgot about all those slaves who had no "rights" or "dignity" for almost 100 years after our founding. or those women who didn't get their right to vote until 150 years after our founding.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:55 PM   #21
dude1394
Guru

typical.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:22 AM   #22
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
typical.
yeah, it is so typical of the current administration to attempt to deceive. The duplicity is alarming.

From making inaccurate statements such as above, the under the table payments to Armstrong, to the bullying of SS Administration personnel to make dire comments, they strive to spin.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:36 AM   #23
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
typical.
yeah, it is so typical of the current administration to attempt to deceive. The duplicity is alarming.

From making inaccurate statements such as above, the under the table payments to Armstrong, to the bullying of SS Administration personnel to make dire comments, they strive to spin.

Quote:
" At this second gathering, our duties are defined not by the words I use, but by the history we have seen together. For a half century, America defended our own freedom by standing watch on distant borders. After the shipwreck of communism came years of relative quiet, years of repose, years of sabbatical - and then there came a day of fire.

We have seen our vulnerability - and we have seen its deepest source. For as long as whole regions of the world simmer in resentment and tyranny - prone to ideologies that feed hatred and excuse murder - violence will gather, and multiply in destructive power, and cross the most defended borders, and raise a mortal threat. There is only one force of history that can break the reign of hatred and resentment, and expose the pretensions of tyrants, and reward the hopes of the decent and tolerant, and that is the force of human freedom. "
So which part of the above is duplicitous? How much more duplicitous than JFK was when he said we will pay any price etc, but woudln't... The reason I say typical because you CHOOSE to twist bush's words like that to score points. You CHOOSE to say that if he doesn't immediately declare war or cut off ties with Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan, Turkmenistan then he's a hypocrite, no matter that a course of action like that would be totally irrational. Much slower, steadier pressure needs to be applied there, and after iraq has become the first Arab democracy in generations, there will be (and is..in the case of saudia arabia for instance).

I think it may just be bigotry in general (or snobbery) to think that dubya can have "nuance" in his applicaiton of foreign policy. Or as I say "typical" because it's just partisanship.

If you feel that JFK should have also given a disclaimer in his "feedom" speech then okay, but I doubt that you do.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #24
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Bush is duplicitous by giving a speech in which he calls for freedom of all peoples while his actions do not reflect that ideologue. Does he "declare war or cut off ties with Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan, Turkmenistan"? no, that's not politically rationale. Therefore he shouldn't attempt to cloak himself the way he did in the speech. No "twist" of his words needed, it's very straightforward.

It is important to look over history to see that freedom and/or democracy does not in itself cause peace, it does not change those who use warfare to further their goals. Freedom and democracy will not themselves defeat terrorism.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

Dubya, Reagan have a record of "freeing" people that stands up to anyone's.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:28 AM   #26
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Quote:
From the day of our founding, we have proclaimed that every man and woman on this Earth has rights, and dignity and matchless value because they bear the image of the maker of heaven and Earth.
guess he and his speechwriter forgot about all those slaves who had no "rights" or "dignity" for almost 100 years after our founding. or those women who didn't get their right to vote until 150 years after our founding.
Of course, if our country had been built by today's liberals, we'd still have slavery - because putting ideals of freedom into practice just isn't worth the cost involved. No, better to appease the slaveholders than try to fight them. The morality of the situation is relative, after all. Better to let them secede, and continue to kill and rape and torture people than to let our economy sag. It probably would have been better just to pay the Lords of Europe in the first place than to fire a shot against the British, who were so much smarter than the back-woods hicksmen of the late 1700's. Smart people should always rule over dumb people. Yeah, that's the Democratic way.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #27
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Usually Lurkin
Quote:

Quote:
Of course, if our country had been built by today's liberals, we'd still have slavery - because putting ideals of freedom into practice just isn't worth the cost involved. No, better to appease the slaveholders than try to fight them. The morality of the situation is relative, after all. Better to let them secede, and continue to kill and rape and torture people than to let our economy sag. It probably would have been better just to pay the Lords of Europe in the first place than to fire a shot against the British, who were so much smarter than the back-woods hicksmen of the late 1700's. Smart people should always rule over dumb people. Yeah, that's the Democratic way.
likewise, if there had not been the "liberal" groups of people who opposed slavery the "conservatives" like Clay who held power would have allowed the south to continue to practice the immoral act of slave holding. Actually, those "conservatives" might have even prevented the northern states from abolishing slavery so they could protect their mercantilistic domination of the workers. Morality? They said screw the morality of slavery, the economic well being is much more important than individual rights. Yes that radical Lincoln spoiled the conservatives dream.

Those same conservatives opposed the extension of voting rights and property rights to women, preventing women from having the same rights as men (nay, that should be white protestant men) until a couple of decades into the 20th century. How enlightened those conservatives were, they saw that if they gave the women the same rights as men (gast!) women might want to actually get an education (horrors!) and take their place as equal stakeholders in America. Yes, those conservatives wanted to keep all the others (anybody but protestant white males) in their places.

Thankfully they failed. But that doesn't prevent them from continuing to try....
Old 01-25-2005, 12:22 AM   #28
dude1394
Guru

Even though the freedom "loving" liberals didn't like bush's speech it seems the rest of the world that is living under tyranny get it.

------
Reports from across Iran are stating about the massive welcoming of President George W. Bush's inaugural speech and his promise of helping to bring down the last outposts of tyranny.

Millions of Iranians have been reported as having stayed home, on Thursday night which is their usual W.end and outgoing night, in order to see or hear the Presidential speech and the comments made by the Los Angeles based Iranian satellite TV and radio networks, such as, NITV or KRSI.

The speech and its package of hope have been, since late yesterday night and this morning, the main topics of most Iranians' conversations during their familial and friendly gatherings, in the collective taxis and buses, as well as, among groups of young Iranians who gather outside the cities on the Fridays.

Many were seen showing the " V " sign or their raised fists. Talks were focused on steps that need to be taken in order to use the first time ever favorable International condition.