Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Barring significant injury to Moreland or two outfielders, yes I think MY starts less than 40 games at first base. I take that bet, for one million fake dollars.
Who said anything about fake dollars. Take the bet as proposed or chicken shit away.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i have a sneaking suspicion that Brandon Webb in 2011 is gonna equal Rich Harden in 2010.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
i have a sneaking suspicion that Brandon Webb in 2011 is gonna equal Rich Harden in 2010.
Well it isn't starting good, that's for sure. But hey, if the ball sinks like it has in the past and he can stay healthy all of this initial trouble won't matter. We shall see.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Ill take it a step further, I bet Chris Davis has more major league starts at first base this year than Young.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Ill take it a step further, I bet Chris Davis has more major league starts at first base this year than Young.
I wish. If it meant he turned his career around and is what I always wanted him to be, AWESOME. Otherwise (and otherwise is by far the more likely choice), you my friend are crazy.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
I wish. If it meant he turned his career around and is what I always wanted him to be, AWESOME. Otherwise (and otherwise is by far the more likely choice), you my friend are crazy.
I dont think it will be for the Rangers though... I think hes a perfect change of scenery/buy low candidate for someone else. I was kind of hoping for a Davis/Alex Gordon your failed prospect for mine trade but I dont think either team does that deal.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Its getting very close to spring time in Aggtown baby!....cannot wait!

Wait do people use Aggtown?....no matter I still call Hurricane Harbor, Wet n Wild
Old 02-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
Its getting very close to spring time in Aggtown baby!....cannot wait!

Wait do people use Aggtown?....no matter I still call Hurricane Harbor, Wet n Wild
I love the example from #1.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
Urban Dictionary
1. agg town
Arlington, Texas. Da Hood.
Bitch we gone roll up on agg town this weekend and get some.

Hilarious
Old 02-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Seriously this is how I felt about all this Mike Young stuff....I empathize with the kid!

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb...ory?id=6146530

Last edited by Mav Addict; 02-22-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Mav Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #11
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

[sarcasm]
Yeah, that Borbon is a defensive wiz... Glad we have him roaming center instead of Hamilton! Likewise, it is quite nice to see that the reason that Young won't play as much 1st base as I might prefer is directly because of the extremely strong defender Mitch Moreland, who ironically enough played no role at all in Young's throwing error today.
[/sarcasm]

Last edited by Male30Dan; 02-28-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #12
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

i don't think you have to worry about Borbon. he'll take himself off the field with his play.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

The defensive wiz Borbon? 2 games played, 2 errors made...

FYI - Young had an error at 3B and didn't at 1B today... He also went 2-2. Coincidence?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
mkat
Platinum Member

Hamilton just can't play at center anymore if you want him in the line up. I don't know what they'll do there, but Hamilton isn't the long term answer.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Where are you Thiggy you sumbitch - these comments are directed right at you yet no participation. That's no fun for me.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha. I read them and rolled my eyes. I just didn't want to give you the satisfaction of responding.

The Feliz to the rotation bid seems to be gathering some steam. That should make you happy. That's the one issue that I would most prefer to be wrong about. I'd love for Feliz to make the rotation and have success.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ha. I read them and rolled my eyes. I just didn't want to give you the satisfaction of responding.

The Feliz to the rotation bid seems to be gathering some steam. That should make you happy. That's the one issue that I would most prefer to be wrong about. I'd love for Feliz to make the rotation and have success.
Hahaha...

Well, while you will most certainly end up wrong about Feliz (YAH YAH YAH!!!), I think given the quotes out there from yesterday's action (you know you read them) Young playing roughly 40 games at 1st seems much more likely as well.

Oh, and then there is Borbon...
Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

So much for Feliz starting. Apparently he prefers the closer's role. He still should start, and said he would if they feel it helps the team, but if his heart isn't in it...........
Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #19
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Well it wasn't broken....didn't need to be fixed....let him finish games...this role is almost as important as a SP.

How many games did our SP's loose b/c of the closer?...or better yet...how many games did Cliff Lee loose b/c of our closers?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well it wasn't broken....didn't need to be fixed....let him finish games...this role is almost as important as a SP.

How many games did our SP's loose b/c of the closer?...or better yet...how many games did Cliff Lee loose b/c of our closers?
1st or 2nd starters are way, way, way more valuable than closers.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #21
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Do you honestly think Neftali could become a #1 or #2....I don't...maybe a #3

EDIT: on this Rangers team?....maybe a #1 for a different ball club

Last edited by Mav Addict; 03-08-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #22
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
He has been called the most talented pitcher on our team a couple of times this spring. Yes, absolutely I do. Absolutely. If given a full opportunity to grow through any pains this year, I absolutely believe he would become that.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #23
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Quote:
1st or 2nd starters are way, way, way more valuable than closers.
Quote:
He has been called the most talented pitcher on our team a couple of times this spring. Yes, absolutely I do. Absolutely. If given a full opportunity to grow through any pains this year, I absolutely believe he would become that.
Both of you baseball nerds make me sick

EDIT: Eventually yes....right as this moment?...I wouldn't be so sure

Last edited by Mav Addict; 03-08-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #24
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

EDIT: on this Rangers team?....maybe a #1 for a different ball club
This year? No, which is why I'm on record as saying that I want him to stay in the bullpen for now.

Eventually? I think it's possible. He has fantastic stuff and was one of the best pitching prospects in baseball a couple years ago (as a starter).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 03-08-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #25
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
This year? No, which is why I'm on record as saying that I want him to stay in the bullpen for now.

Eventually? I think it's possible. He has fantastic stuff and was one of the best pitching prospects in baseball a couple years ago (as a starter).
This is the issue though. If you don't eventually give him that year, will he ever be ready, or will it always be one of those "next year" type situations? Eventually you have to throw him to the wolves and let him learn how to pitch and be successful. You sure don't want him learning with a 1-run lead in the 9th inning.

To me, he needs to start this year if he is going to start or you are just delaying his dominance. I mean, if us struggling is the reasoning behind waiting, do we want to struggle in 2012? 2013? Give him an opportunity and, if he struggles, let him. He needs to fully learn to pitch as a starter and that will likely have some bumps and bruises along the way. That said, if we want him to ever become what he has the talent to become it is necessary.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #26
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
This is the issue though. If you don't eventually give him that year, will he ever be ready, or will it always be one of those "next year" type situations? Eventually you have to throw him to the wolves and let him learn how to pitch and be successful. You sure don't want him learning with a 1-run lead in the 9th inning.

To me, he needs to start this year if he is going to start or you are just delaying his dominance. I mean, if us struggling is the reasoning behind waiting, do we want to struggle in 2012? 2013? Give him an opportunity and, if he struggles, let him. He needs to fully learn to pitch as a starter and that will likely have some bumps and bruises along the way. That said, if we want him to ever become what he has the talent to become it is necessary.
JD said that they'd only put him in the rotation if they felt he'd be a guy that could win playoff games THIS season. He doesn't have to be lights out right away, but they have to feel like he will be before the season is over.

I think that's reasonable, and I think there is value in him getting another year in the bullpen if he's not ready this season. I don't think a year in the bullpen is a year lost on possibly starting. Experience against ML hitters is going to help, whether in the bullpen or rotation.

Being in the rotation would help MORE, for sure, but you have to balance the success of the team this season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-09-2011, 01:46 AM   #27
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
JD said that they'd only put him in the rotation if they felt he'd be a guy that could win playoff games THIS season. He doesn't have to be lights out right away, but they have to feel like he will be before the season is over.

I don't think I suggested that this would be impossible - the point is he needs a season to learn. With a full season under his belt, he would definitely be dangerous in the playoffs - for the opposing team.

I think that's reasonable, and I think there is value in him getting another year in the bullpen if he's not ready this season. I don't think a year in the bullpen is a year lost on possibly starting. Experience against ML hitters is going to help, whether in the bullpen or rotation.

I am not saying a year in the bullpen is a year completely lost on possibly starting, but do you want him trying to learn a curveball with 1 on and a 1 run lead in the 9th inning? Let me help you - the answer is no. As a starter he would have a great deal more leeway to experiment and refine his 2nd/3rd/4th pitches. There is absolutely no denying that.

Being in the rotation would help MORE, for sure, but you have to balance the success of the team this season.

Again, if Neftali can't develop his secondary pitches in his closer role how will next year be any different from this year? Saying you have to balance the success of the team this season can be the exact same sentence uttered next year. Eventually you have to put a great POTENTIAL talent out to grow. It's time - wasn't that our slogan last year? Well, for Feliz, it's time.
Comments above...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 03-09-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

sport...waiting on confirmation

Last edited by Murphy3; 03-08-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #29
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I've heard Daniels talk several times about CJ being so successful with his transition because he wanted it so bad. I've noticed him sounding very pessimistic about Feliz's chances and I think this is part of the reason why.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #30
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I don't think Feliz has the secondary pitches to be a starter at this point. I think Ogando is better suited as far as his arsenal goes... I don't know if he can be stretched out that far considering his lack of innings..but, we'll see.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Yep.. you'll continue to say.."If he can only be a #3 this year, then we'll leave him as a closer." He needs that year to work his way into being a #1 or #2 if in fact he does have that ability.

As for him only being a #3, if he's good enough to be a #3 right now, he should be a starter in my opinion.... without a doubt. If he's already good enough to do that, then that's great. It'll only help his progression towards being a #1 or 2 guy in the future. Plus, you need a minimum of three solid starters for the playoffs.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

If he's a solid #3 guy, then he's more valuable to the team as a starter in my opinion. I like the bullpen depth. I like the talent fighting for spots in the rotation, but there's alot of unproven talent in the group.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #33
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
If he's a solid #3 guy, then he's more valuable to the team as a starter in my opinion. I like the bullpen depth. I like the talent fighting for spots in the rotation, but there's alot of unproven talent in the group.
I agree. And I think the Rangers do as well. JD's cutoff was a guy that would start in any playoff series, and that's #1-#3.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

It sounds like he's still going to be stretched out for another week or two and then a decision will be made. So, two-three more 3-4 inning outings and we'll know whether or not the switch will move forward if he'll end up back in the pen.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #35
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

After listening to two more interview with Daniels this morning, my own personal opinion is that it would take a dramatic turn of events for Feliz to move into the rotation this year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

I think the dramatic turn of events would be Feliz feeling comfortable and looking good his next 2-3 times out.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #37
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I disagree, I think it would take a lot more than that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Seriously? What do you think would have to happen for them to extend the look further?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #39
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Seriously? What do you think would have to happen for them to extend the look further?
Oh, to keep looking at it? I suppose they might keep doing that the entire spring. It can't hurt to stretch him out.

I just think something dramatic is going to have to happen in order for them to actually make the move. Daniels just keep talking over and over about "want to" and "the drive". He sounded very pessimistic about the possibility for this season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

Perhaps they're trying to light a bit of a fire under his arse with all the talk of "want to" and "drive". Otherwise, I don't think they'd make it so public.