Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-01-2002, 10:13 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

game just started..rangers down quickly in the first.
Chan Ho Park gives up a hit and drills velarde in the wrist..he's still down.

not a great start for ho park
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2002, 10:21 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

if the rangers can win today..it will be a near perfect day in sports.

Cubs lose.. I always love the cubs lose and sosa has a bad day (leaves 3 men on base with no runs or RBI's)
Braves win.. Favorite NL team since 1982
Seattle loses.. Good to see them off on a bad note this year
Yankees loses.. can't stand the team
Boston loses... Can't stand the Red Sox all of a sudden
Old 04-02-2002, 03:21 AM   #3
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Unfortunately did not happen. I am still pissed about the off season pick up of Park.

For less money this team could of had Helling and Sele. Who would you have rather had Park or Helling and Sele.

IMO Park will do a hair better than the average Helling season which basically means we could have gotten Sele for nothing.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 09:41 AM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

We had Helling and Sele; and where did that get us? Oh yeah, the playoffs.

Right on guys, the Park pick up was pure idiocy. The only thing dumber than that was letting Helling go. I don't blame them for not getting Sele as I don't think he would ever come back here.

As far as I can tell, we are last year's Orioles.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 11:51 AM   #5
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Yep, I am afraid it will be a long season. I hope by June we have more to watch/cheer for than Blalock's chase for ROY.

Nice start for him last night. 1/3 1 RBI, 2 SO.

Old 04-02-2002, 12:29 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

why was the park pick up a bad one?
no, it wasn't a bad move. however, i wish the move would have gone along with another move to pick up someone like sele.. ..however, the park move by itself was not a bad one. yes, i wish the rangers would have resigned helling..but that's a different issue. he simply didn't fit into hart's plans
Old 04-02-2002, 01:03 PM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

As far as value goes, I think it was a bad move. Like the Rogers move two years ago. And the Oliver move.

Park was brought in here to be an ace. The guy has not shown that he can be that. For the price of a true ace, I believe you can get a solid No. 2 and No. 3 starter. I will take a true ace. But short of that, I would rather have 2 solid pitchers. Signing Park didn't answer any questions, just created them. I will give him the season, but I don't expect much out of him and I don't think a lot of other people do either. So I think it is fair to question the move.

Unless you think that because I don't have John Hart's experience, I don't have a right to question his moves.

<< Quickly runs away and hides behind the couch.>>
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 04-02-2002, 01:09 PM   #8
grbh
Platinum Member

Here is why I think it is a bad move. Park was reasonably successfull at home and struggled on the road. The spacious confines of L.A, scew his stats. Now he is going to be in The Ballpark at Arlington, a hitters park. Could make for a subpar season. Park's road ERA over the last three seasons at home is 3.12, on the road 4.72. I am expecting an ERA comporable to that with the Rangers. To top it off Park is switching leagues and no longer has the luxery of pitching to a pitcher.

I didn't like it because it was money poorly spent. For 15 Million a year the Rangers got a solid pitcher. Here are his stats over the last 4 years.
61-41
219 Innings

For the same money they could have had:
Helling
61-42
217 Innings

and

Sele
69-35
211 Innings

I like Park, but I think the Rangers could have gotten more for their money.

Old 04-02-2002, 01:11 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

you are comparing the darren oliver and the kenny rogers moves to acquiring chan ho park?

GRBH, money had nothing to do with losing helling or not signing sele. those were separate decisions...

I wish they would have signed ho park AND signed sele.

however, bringing in ho park is a good move..i just wish hart would have followed that move with another good move in signing sele
Old 04-02-2002, 01:28 PM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< you are comparing the darren oliver and the kenny rogers moves to acquiring chan ho park? >>

Yeah, I kinda am. I think Park will end up in a similar position as those two. Meaning, at best, middle of the rotation pitchers for this club and dramatically overpaid.

GRBH spells out moves that I think could have been made exactly. GRBH's post shows why some say Park is overvalued. It is great that we went out and got the best pitcher out there, but I question whether we shouldn't have gone after the 2nd and 3rd best starters instead.

Helling was about money. It wasn't about a roster spot. Up until opening day, we were still looking for a starting pitcher. We still are looking for a starting pitcher. So why didn't we get Helling? If not money or a slot in the rotation, then what? Just arrogance by Hart, perhaps?

Old 04-02-2002, 01:32 PM   #11
grbh
Platinum Member

MURPHY I agree with you that it had nothing to do with money. Well I guess it all does in a roundabout way because you are given a budget and you try to get the most out of it. Hart didn't do that. My post is intended as a gripe about Hart. He has no interest in pitchers who don't throw real hard. I guess Maddux would be a spot starter if he ever landed with the Rangers (OK, an overstatment). Regardless I think most GMs who were given $15 Million to spend on pitching would take Helling/Sele over Park.

Park is a nice pitcher but I think we overpaid considerably for him.

Old 04-02-2002, 10:37 PM   #12
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

And Rogers gives up 2 runs in the first - the more things change, the more they stay the same. sigh...
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 11:29 PM   #13
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Where's the offense? We haven't scored a run through 5 innings. We only scored 3 last night. I know it's early in the season, but we should be scoring more runs.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:35 PM   #14
grbh
Platinum Member

At least Roger's seems to have settled in, but man the bats are asleep. Blalock needs to put a ball in play, 4 straight Ks now. I don't want him to start the season in a slump. That will do a lot of damage to a rookies confidense.

Old 04-03-2002, 12:17 AM   #15
MFFL
Guru

WooHoo - the Rangers score a run and Blalock draws a walk with 2 outs. We might score a couple of more.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:27 AM   #16
MFFL
Guru

Typical Rangers - leaving the bases loaded when down by a run.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:30 AM   #17
grbh
Platinum Member

Wasted opportunity. This team can score runs, but it has been a while since I've seen this team capable of manufacturing a run.

Old 04-03-2002, 01:18 AM   #18
MFFL
Guru

YEA! We tie the game in the ninth.

BOO! We lose the game in the ninth.

Typical Rangers.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:12 AM   #19
grbh
Platinum Member

With a very tough early schedule the Ranger's had better be careful not to start slow or they will be out of it in a hurry.

Old 04-03-2002, 08:59 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Geez. I hope noone is giving up already. To start the season in Oakland against Mulder, Zito, et al is amazingly difficult. This team will be fine soon. have patience.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:56 PM   #21
grbh
Platinum Member

No I am not giving up. I still think the Ranger's can be a pretty good team. I don't think they have a shot at the playoffs, but I would be pleased with anything above .500. With the unbalanced schedule and the toughest division in baseball I find it hard to think they can do much better than that.

My concern is just a slow start. With a very unbalanced April, I don't want to be out of it before we were ever in it.

Old 04-04-2002, 12:39 AM   #22
MFFL
Guru

I'm amazed at how many empty seats there have been for the series. Oakland made the playoffs and is opening against a team with quite a few very talented players and there is still a ton of empty seats (close seats too(.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:40 AM   #23
MFFL
Guru

Palmerio just hit a homer to give the Rangers a 6-4 lead. GO RANGERS!
Old 04-04-2002, 01:57 AM   #24
grbh
Platinum Member

Bullpen seems to be heating up. Damn we need Zimmerman back, it pushes everyone down in line and screw the delicate balance we have in the bullpen up.

Old 04-04-2002, 06:29 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

Rangers have a 7-2 lead in the ninth. YEAH! Rocker gives up a 3 run homer. BOO!
Old 04-04-2002, 06:42 PM   #26
MFFL
Guru

The Rangers won! Rocker did give up a 3 run homer in the ninth and almost gave up ANOTHER 3 run homer (which would have lost the game for us). But a win is a win.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:47 PM   #27
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Remember Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball for nintendo?

Well, here's a new idea for a ps2/gamecube/other console baseball game: &quot;John Rocker's Cardiac Baseball&quot;

what do you think?
Old 04-04-2002, 06:56 PM   #28
MFFL
Guru

That had to be one of the worst relief performances that I've ever seen. Wow - Rocker was horrible.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:00 PM   #29
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Yea he should'nt have shook off the pitch Hass called for.....instead of hanging that slider up there...he shoulda just thrown the stank.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:01 PM   #30
grbh
Platinum Member

It would be rated M for sure.

Man, Zimmerman better get healthy soon. Nuce outing for Davis though.

Don't know if ya'll have seen it yet, but Chan Ho Park was put on the 15 day DL today.

Old 04-04-2002, 07:15 PM   #31
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

rocker blows idk why u got him.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:19 PM   #32
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Cordero is called up from minors with park on the D.L. I think it might be time for him to show he is the setup/closer of the future. he had an excellent spring but was the victim of having one to many minor league options left. We sure tried to loose four in a row though. Man we need pitching. sorry for stating the obvious but when you talk about the rangers you also have to talk about wretched starting pitching. at least Hart knows what he is doing, something i couldn't say about Melvin. I hope we dont fall out of contention next month, but until then ill stick to basketball.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:21 PM   #33
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

dont be distraught by parks performance quite yet, after all pedro himself had 8 er runs in a couple of innings his first start.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:50 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

RANGERS WIN RANGERS WIN!!!!!!!!

Victory!

Cory Lidle better watch his back....
Old 04-04-2002, 11:54 PM   #35
Hales233
Golden Member

i'm sure he's very, very scared doc.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:00 AM   #36
Drbio
Banned

If I am an Oakland everyday player, I talk to him about it. He is going to get one of THEM nailed. Mark it down. It will happen.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:02 AM   #37
Hales233
Golden Member

but you didn't say that, you said Lidle should watch his back...being an AL pitcher, he's not too worried...
Old 04-05-2002, 12:26 AM   #38
Drbio
Banned

sheesh Hales...you know what I meant. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]