Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #201
C_Man

C_Man can only hope to improve

For dummies who don't know what a volume shooter is:

Rudy Gay this season is averaging 19.2 FGAs/game and shooting a woeful 47.2 TS%. THAT is a volume shooter. He takes a ton of shots at very poor efficiency.
C_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #202
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Hating on Vince makes no sense to me. He's played out of this world for most of the season and his beyond the arc shooting has been phenomenal as of late. Even though I always prefer to see Dirk taking the clutch shot, I think this was the shot RC wanted at the end. I'd even argue it was pretty good execution for a change. Imo, if you go to the basket there is a high likelihood that you don't get the call if there is a foul. Again, I'd prefer to see Dirk take the shot, but this one was well within the scope of sensible play calling and execution. It just didn't go in. Oh well, move on to the next one. I can't believe anyone really had this game as a W anyway.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #203
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
Perhaps our deffinition of volume shooter differs, but if I see a bench player regularly shooting more than any starter, I see a volume shooter. Yes, VC has been shooting well lately, but he has had several stretches this season where we have all screamed for him to stop shooting the ball every time down the damn court.

I am not the only person who has voiced this complaint. I hate that this team is so determined to move away from the guy who took us to our only championship.
I too have consistently voiced a complaint about his having too quick a trigger finger on certain threes--which is absolutely true. I wish he wouldn't shoot deep threes the second he touches the ball. But he is not a "volume shooter." I'm not sure what definition you could be using, but "volume shooter" means one thing: guy who shoots a lot and shoots a low percentage.

Neither of those things applies to Carter. He averages 10.4 shots per game, which is not a high number at all in an absolute sense. It's third-highest on the team, well below both Dirk and Mayo (13.4 each). If he "regularly" shoots more than all five starters, as you claim, how does he average three fewer shots per game than two of the five?

His shooting percentage isn't absurdly good (44%), but it's very good from three (41%) and, as noted, his TS% and eFG% are both exceptional. I'm not sure why you would call TS% a "gimmick stat." It's not win-shares, single-game plus-minus, PER, or some other weird composite stat that arguably doesn't mean anything. TS% is a very, very reliable indicator of a player's efficiency.

Strange thing is, I think we actually share the same main complaint about Carter. It grinds my gears sometimes how little of a shot conscience he has. But he's a pretty damn efficient bench player, far from a "volume shooter." To me, it sounds like your complaint is really with the coaching strategy of using Vince instead of Dirk for late-game possessions. Fair enough. I'm inclined to agree, though I'm pretty sure there are reasons for it. But even still, that's not Vince's fault, and it has nothing to do with him being an inefficient player.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 03-15-2013 at 11:59 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #204
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Has VC always been this good of a shooter? With this guys elite athleticism he should have no issue getting enough space to fire off those 3's for at least a couple more years. I really expect him to continue this level for at least next year. Which means for a change the FO has made a solid decision by not giving him away.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #205
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

To add a little to LHD:

Dude is second to only Brandan Wright in TS%. He's been our second most efficient offensive piece and second best +/- guy on our team.

2nd in TS%
2nd in +/-

Please don't tell me that Carter is a spare that just jacks up shots. He's averaging a better TS% than Terry has since 2008, and on fewer shots (terry averaged 13attempts. Carter is averaging just 10.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-15-2013 at 12:33 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #206
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Man, I was also hoping last night for them to set a pick and roll having him dunk it. There was plenty of time to open up a lane. If he would have dunked it right on Duncan or Splitter. Would have been amazing.

Last edited by yahyes; 03-15-2013 at 01:18 PM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #207
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Heard a snippet of a Dirk interview. The Dirkster said he was not a fan of the last play called. He said it didn't give Vince enough options.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #208
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure others already wondered: I'm astonished that Rick consequently ignores Dirk on designed late-game plays.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #209
escobar317

escobar317 is a jewel in the roughescobar317 is a jewel in the roughescobar317 is a jewel in the rough

There comes a point where percentages don't matter. Dirk has this thing called "clutch gene" you can't really measure it. With a season on thin ice gambling on Dirks percentage rather than vince's are plays that make you question if Cuban will keep him as a coach. I haven't been this pissed about an RC coaching choice since he benched RB in the playoffs against SA.
escobar317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #210
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Heard a snippet of a Dirk interview. The Dirkster said he was not a fan of the last play called. He said it didn't give Vince enough options.
Yea, no one is a fan of it. I like that Dirk didn't toss VC under the bus. Class.

RC is a great coach and I love his personality but he is off a bit this season. There may not be a lot of milk here this season but he needs to be squeezing the tit a little harder than what he has.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good job good effort