Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-19-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default HOSTS file to block ads, banners, cookies, web bugs

Link
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can use a HOSTS file to block ads, banners, cookies, web bugs, and even most hijackers. This is accomplished by blocking the Server that supplies these little gems. Example - the following entry 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net blocks all files supplied by the DoubleClick Server to the web page you are viewing. This also prevents the server from tracking your movements.

Now includes most major parasites, hijackers and unwanted Search Engines!

In many cases this can speed the loading of web pages by not having to wait for these ads, banners, hit counters, etc. to load. This also helps to protect your Privacy by blocking servers that track your viewing habits, known as "click-thru tracking".

Editors Note: However as time has progressed the focus of this project has changed from blocking ads/banners to protecting the user from the many parasites that now exist on the Internet. It doesn't serve much purpose if you block the ad banner from displaying, but get hijacked by a parasite from an evil script or download contained on the web site. The object is to surf faster while preserving your Safety, Security and Privacy. [more info]

To view the HOSTS file in plain text form. (149 kb)
Download: hosts.zip [right-click - Select: Save Target As] [Updated 03-15-04]
Unzip and place in the appropriate installed location:
Note: the below locations are for the default paths, edit as needed.
Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS

There is no need to install, turn on, or change any settings. Windows automatically looks for the existence of a HOSTS file and if found, checks the HOSTS file first for entries to the web page you just requested. The 127.0.0.1 is the location of your computer, so when the entry "ad.doubleclick.net" is requested your computer thinks 127.0.0.1 is the location of the file. When this file is not located it skips onto the next file and thus the ad server is blocked from loading the banner, Cookie, or some unscrupulous javascript file.

In case you're wondering ... this all happens in microseconds, which is much faster than trying to fetch a file from half way around the world.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2004, 01:57 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: HOSTS file to block ads, banners, cookies, web bugs

I'm anxiously waiting for U2's opinion on this and some operational info.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: HOSTS file to block ads, banners, cookies, web bugs

No more popups like Classmates etc... It is working like a charm for me, my computer has not crashed yet. I will keep you informed if I get hit by Viruses or worms anytime
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote