Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-26-2006, 10:47 PM   #1
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sefko: Avery looking at "changes" and injury update

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

MAVERICKS BRIEFSTwo consecutive sluggish starts have caused Avery Johnson to gauge what he must change to shake the Mavericks from early game doldrums.

On Sunday, he let his team know that they are on alert. He's going to modify a couple of things before tonight's game against Philadelphia. And Johnson said he's not ruling out other changes.

One possibility: stepping up full-court defensive pressure early in the game.

"We've been pressing a little more than what we have been," Johnson said. "If you noticed, in that Knicks game [Jan. 11, when New York led 63-48 at halftime], we started pressing more in the second half and that kind of jump-started us to start pressing a little more."

That trap is what bothered Toronto's Mike James on Saturday, when the Mavericks overcame a 24-point deficit.

"We'll evaluate and see if we need to do more of that early on," Johnson said. "It's always a concern for a coach to give up easy baskets early in a game."

Johnson added that the Toronto game had several factors working against the Mavericks. It was their first noon start of the season and Josh Howard was sidelined, jumbling the starting lineup.

"To come back from that adversity to win that game was great for everybody," he said. "But we've been really disappointed with our starts."

Marshall, Powell trade places: Forward Rawle Marshall was recalled from Fort Worth of the NBA Developmental League on Sunday.

Marshall has been with the Flyers since Dec. 29, appearing in 21 games and averaging 17.4 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.38 steals and 1.05 blocks in 30 minutes per game. He helped Fort Worth to the NBADL's best record.

Johnson said that Mavericks forward Josh Powell would take Marshall's spot with the Flyers, joining them in Roanoke, Va., for Tuesday's game, the first of three this week.

Marshall said his time with the Flyers was beneficial to his rookie season.

"It gave me a chance to play," he said. "And that was some good competition. Sometimes I was a marked man because I was from Dallas and everybody wanted to bring their A-game against me."

Briefly: Devin Harris underwent an MRI on his left quadriceps, and the Mavericks were waiting for results to be evaluated, which could determine his status for tonight's game. Harris has been struggling with the thigh problem since before the All-Star break. Harris, by the way, turns 23 today. ... Howard went through a light practice Sunday and will be a game-time decision tonight. If he cannot play, Marshall will be activated, Johnson said.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...s.7b90df2.html

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 02-26-2006 at 10:47 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Dammit...I forgot who raised this question (I think it might have been alby)...that Devin Harris could be injury-prone. I certainly hope he doesn't start to demonstrate traits akin to Livingston. Happy Birthday to the kid though.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I brought it up after his second shoulder injury within a span of 6 months, I hope he beefs up a little bit because it will help him out in the longrun.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVERICKS NOTES

Johnson wants an end to slow starts

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- Mavericks coach Avery Johnson made a lineup change six weeks ago to address a "lethargic" situation at center.

In the first half of the past two games that condition has seemingly enveloped the entire team, and Johnson is thinking about making changes again.

Not so fast. Dirk Nowitzki's starting job is safe.

But Johnson does plan to make some adjustments -- perhaps tweak the pregame routine -- in an effort to avoid the sluggish starts that nearly led to losses against Memphis and Toronto.

"I told them we'll give them one more game just to see what kind of start they get off to," Johnson said after Sunday's practice.

The Mavs (44-11) will attempt to get off to a better start tonight against Allen Iverson and the Philadelphia 76ers at American Airlines Center.

With 18 wins in the past 19 games, including five in a row, and a franchise-record 14-game home winning streak, a couple of bad halves don't seem that big a deal.

But the Mavs have found themselves sleepwalking against Memphis and Toronto, falling behind by as many as 19 points in the first half of each game.

The rallies are noteworthy. The Grizzlies were up 50-31 before the Mavs mounted a charge prior to halftime and eventually won by 10.

The Raptors' lead grew to 24 in the third quarter (86-62) before the Mavs completed the second-largest comeback in franchise history in Saturday's 115-113 overtime win.

"We need to play better," Jerry Stackhouse said. "We don't want to get into a habit of relying on having to come back from double-digit deficits.

"Obviously, those were huge comebacks the last couple games, but to be at home we need to set the tone a little better early on."

Alterations in the starting lineup aren't in the works. Johnson just wants his starters to play with the same focus and energy in the first quarter that they showed in making the comebacks.

"The way we handle ourselves in the fourth quarter, there was a presence about ourselves," said Nowitzki, who has 63 points in the past two games. "In the first half, it looked like we went through the motions."

Small forward Josh Howard (ankle sprain) was out against Toronto, resulting in Stackhouse getting his first start in nearly a year. But don't expect to see Stackhouse with the first team again.

Howard practiced Sunday and is expected back against the 76ers, but even if he doesn't play, Johnson could turn to Marquis Daniels to keep Stackhouse in his familiar position with the second unit.

Stackhouse came off the bench in the second half against Toronto (Daniels started the third quarter) and produced 18 points and six assists in the final two quarters and overtime.

Johnson has taken the lion's share of blame for the poor starts, but he pointed out that Memphis and Toronto are talented teams and credited his team for fighting its way back.

As for his duties, Johnson isn't afraid to make a couple changes.

"I'm really critiquing how I manage games," he said. "I do that every day. I'm devil's advocate with myself."

Up and down to Cowtown

Pleased with the progress Rawle Marshall has made with the Fort Worth Flyers, the Mavs have assigned Josh Powell to the NBA D-League affiliate.

Marshall, a rookie swingman, was recalled Sunday from the Flyers after averaging 17.4 points and 4.2 rebounds in 21 games.

"I just tried to work a lot on my defense," Marshall said.

Powell played in 16 games for the Mavs and is expected to make an immediate impact at power forward.

Briefly

Backup point guard Devin Harris had an MRI exam performed on his sore left quadriceps. He played only nine minutes against Toronto and his status for tonight is uncertain.

The Mavs' past three opponents -- Memphis, Toronto and Los Angeles Clippers -- have been held to 43 points in the fourth quarter, an average of 14.3.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he'll put Damp back into the starting lineup... Ok, probably not. But a guy can always hope, right?
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #6
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Maybe he'll put Damp back into the starting lineup... Ok, probably not. But a guy can always hope, right?
19 of 20 wins since his benching... why mess up a good thing?!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2M
19 of 20 wins since his benching... why mess up a good thing?!
Simple. Erick Dampier is a better basketball player than Gana Diop.

Honestly, I think Damp's benching had much less to do with his individual play than it did with the collective play of the team. I believe it was the whole team, not just Dampier, that was lacking in intensity. AJ needed to send a message to the guys, and Damp was the guy he could bench with the least amount of dropoff. It worked. But I honestly feel it's just a gimmick really. I just believe in starting your best players, and Erick Dampier is without a doubt the best center we have.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Devin's injury concerns from me stem more from a style of play. It's the same reason why I worry about Josh. It's the same reason why Stack seems older than he actually is.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:18 AM   #9
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I agree with you spiral, that Damp is by far the superior center. But I think his recent success can be attributed to two factors, both of which suggest that he should continue to come off the bench:

(1) Someone else touched on this, I can't remember who (if you happen upon this post please feel free to credit yourself) - Officials have a tendency to be more whistle-happy in the beginning of games. One of Damp's biggest problems in the past was getting into early foul trouble (silly fouls, off illegal picks, unnecessary touch fouls in the paint, etc.). This prevented him from playing aggressively in the beginning of games and would often set the tone for the remainder of the game (we've all seen that a timid Damp equals an ineffective Damp). By bringing him in off the bench, Damp has greater flexibility to really play his game - no worries about fouls, just focus on getting rebounds and being a big body.

(2) More obviously, by bringing Damp in off the bench, AJ is playing him against the opposing team's bench players. While it is debatable where Damp ranks in terms of starting centers, I guarantee you he is the best of the best in terms of "back-up centers" (I use the term very loosely). By playing against 2nd-string opposing big men, it is much easier for Damp to exert his will both offensively and defensively, and we've seen his numbers jump substantially as a result. Furthermore, if he's in as part of the second unit, he can get alot more touches (something Damp has talked about in the past, the more touches he gets, the more comfortable he is and more in tune with the flow of the game) than if he were in at the same time as Howard, Nowitzki, Terry and (insert 2 guard). Also, it's worth noting that Stack (as the leader of that second unit) has worked well with Damp recently in terms of getting the big guy touches. Diop doesn't need touches to be effective, which is why it might be better if he starts.

Finally, I think it is a question of Damp's mentality. Again, if he's comfortable, getting touches, and doesn't have to worry about fouls, he will be alot more effective. V2M has a point in saying that the current system has worked well - if we start slipping then I am 100% with you that one of the first moves would be to reinsert Damp back into the starting line-up. For the time being of course, 95% winning percentage can't be wrong!
Old 02-28-2006, 08:30 AM   #10
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

From DMN:
Quote:
Harris might be out a week: Harris missed Monday's game and could be out longer.

"The prognosis was a week," Harris said. "Hopefully, it won't be that long."

An MRI exam revealed "nothing bad, but nothing good," Harris said, regarding his strained thigh that was aggravated either before or during Saturday's game. He plans to rest until Thursday and hopes to be available at San Antonio that night.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.d95e18c.html
Old 02-28-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
I agree with you spiral, that Damp is by far the superior center. But I think his recent success can be attributed to two factors, both of which suggest that he should continue to come off the bench:

(1) Someone else touched on this, I can't remember who (if you happen upon this post please feel free to credit yourself) - Officials have a tendency to be more whistle-happy in the beginning of games. One of Damp's biggest problems in the past was getting into early foul trouble (silly fouls, off illegal picks, unnecessary touch fouls in the paint, etc.). This prevented him from playing aggressively in the beginning of games and would often set the tone for the remainder of the game (we've all seen that a timid Damp equals an ineffective Damp). By bringing him in off the bench, Damp has greater flexibility to really play his game - no worries about fouls, just focus on getting rebounds and being a big body.

(2) More obviously, by bringing Damp in off the bench, AJ is playing him against the opposing team's bench players. While it is debatable where Damp ranks in terms of starting centers, I guarantee you he is the best of the best in terms of "back-up centers" (I use the term very loosely). By playing against 2nd-string opposing big men, it is much easier for Damp to exert his will both offensively and defensively, and we've seen his numbers jump substantially as a result. Furthermore, if he's in as part of the second unit, he can get alot more touches (something Damp has talked about in the past, the more touches he gets, the more comfortable he is and more in tune with the flow of the game) than if he were in at the same time as Howard, Nowitzki, Terry and (insert 2 guard). Also, it's worth noting that Stack (as the leader of that second unit) has worked well with Damp recently in terms of getting the big guy touches. Diop doesn't need touches to be effective, which is why it might be better if he starts.

Finally, I think it is a question of Damp's mentality. Again, if he's comfortable, getting touches, and doesn't have to worry about fouls, he will be alot more effective. V2M has a point in saying that the current system has worked well - if we start slipping then I am 100% with you that one of the first moves would be to reinsert Damp back into the starting line-up. For the time being of course, 95% winning percentage can't be wrong!
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Damp's been great coming off the bench and the team's winning. Whatever the reasons... the results are crystal clear... so why mess it up?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #12
V2M
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw-xx
On hindsight, of course, but may be Harris should have rested during the all-star weekend. Playing in a sophomore game can't be more important than healing up for the stretch run!
Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #13
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about
Wink

Quote:

That was me. Thanks for remembering. I feel..all...toasty inside!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:57 PM   #14
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
That was me. Thanks for remembering. I feel..all...toasty inside!
Here's the word from the man himself :

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
I think it is very possible that the refs call fouls pretty closely early in games to make sure they have control of the game and then allow a little more physical play the rest of the way. That is probably why Diop is starting to struggle a little in the first with foul trouble. When Damp was starting and got 2 fouls in less than 5 minutes it took away his aggressiveness and he was not able to adjust to the more physical play allowed later.

With Diop taking the early fouls and not worrying so much about fouling out it allows Damp to come in and do what he can and does do well...control the paint and set good screens and rebound.

The reason M'Benga has come in so early is just the same as the reason Diop is starting. Diop gets 2 fouls in 2-3 minutes and AJ doesn't want to lose Damp to the same fate so he brings in DJ who can eat up some minutes without hurting the team D and pick up some more of the ticky-tack fouls that would have gone to Damp without worrying about him fouling out.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:52 AM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

You make a valid point about the refs sometimes being whistle happy at the beginning of the game, but Dampier has done a great job of staying out of foul trouble all year, not just since he's been benched. And I've heard the bit about Damp playing better because he's playing against the other team's subs and I don't buy it.

Really, I don't think Damp is playing better now than he was when he was a starter. He got off to a slow start at the beginning of the year, but for a very long stretch he was playing pretty much the same way he is now (it was noticed and well-documented on this board.) Then he has two bad games against Boston and New York, and all of a sudden he's the sole reason we were having slow starts.

Again, I just believe in starting your best players, and between Damp and Diop, Dampier is clearly the better player.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:16 AM   #16
Jet Terry

Jet Terry will become famous soon enough

I disagree but nothing new. Dampier might be better but Diop seems to fit better with the personalities of the starting group. I think Dirk likes playing with Diop since he sees how hard Diop is trying out there. Getting a lot of hustle opportunities. Dampier is not clearly better but I would give him a slight advantage.
Jet Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #17
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

From FWST:
Quote:
Injury update

Forward Josh Howard is expected to practice today after missing the past two games with a sprained right ankle, while point guard Devin Harris (strained left quadriceps) is listed as day-to-day.

Also, forward Dirk Nowitzki said he feels fine after missing part of Monday's game with a left ankle sprain. In addition, forward Keith Van Horn is expected back at practice today after skipping Monday's game with flu-like symptoms.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/ba...s/13988934.htm
Old 03-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #18
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

I would love to see Harris suit up on Thursday, even if he barely plays.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #19
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Terry
Dampier is not clearly better but I would give him a slight advantage.
Uh, how do you figure? Damp is a better rebounder, defender, scorer, sets better picks, is better at getting jump balls.... How is Damp not CLEARLY the better player? The "hustle factor" will only get you so far. It doesn't change the fact that Damp just has better skills as a basketball player. I don't even think it's close.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-01-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:53 PM   #20
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
You make a valid point about the refs sometimes being whistle happy at the beginning of the game, but Dampier has done a great job of staying out of foul trouble all year, not just since he's been benched. And I've heard the bit about Damp playing better because he's playing against the other team's subs and I don't buy it.

Really, I don't think Damp is playing better now than he was when he was a starter. He got off to a slow start at the beginning of the year, but for a very long stretch he was playing pretty much the same way he is now (it was noticed and well-documented on this board.) Then he has two bad games against Boston and New York, and all of a sudden he's the sole reason we were having slow starts.

Again, I just believe in starting your best players, and between Damp and Diop, Dampier is clearly the better player.
Should Stackhouse start over Griffin?

Last edited by orangedays; 03-01-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #21
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Should Stackhouse start over Griffin?
No, but I think Daniels should.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #22
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
No, but I think Daniels should.
You think Daniels is a better player than Stackhouse? (I'm not trying to be difficult, just understand your point better).

Last edited by orangedays; 03-01-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:08 PM   #23
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Yes.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #24
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes.
The preponderance of the evidence would disagree with you (sorry about the spacing on the stats):

G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
Daniels 39 20 28.9 .473 .222 .766 1.5 2.2 3.6 2.8 1.08 .23 1.72 2.20 10.3
Stack 30 1 25.1 .410 .307 .894 .6 1.9 2.6 2.8 .80 .23 2.07 1.80 12.7

Since Daniels has only played in the league for 3 seasons, and even then only in limited minutes, I'll limit the discussion to this season. These stats are skewed because of Daniels' lengthy absence, but they do show that Stack doing more in fewer minutes than Daniels. Stack is a better scorer - FT-shooter, 3-pt. shooter - and I would argue that he is the better shooter (since Daniels' range is limited to about 15 ft. and he loves those lane floaters, accounting for his higher FG%). I'd also argue (this is much more qualitative, and perhaps not entirely relevant) that Stack is better in the clutch - we need only look as far as the number of 3's the guy has hit at the end of quarters this season, I can think of 6 right off the top of my head.

Roland Ratings from 82games.com:

Production On Court/Off Court
Player Min Own Opp Net On Off Net Rating Roland Rating
Stackhouse 28% 17.6 12.6 +5.0 +9.0 +6.4 +2.7 +4.3
Daniels 41% 15.8 13.3 +2.5 +5.5 +8.2 -2.7 +1.0

The Roland Ratings also suggest that the Mavs are better off with Stack on the floor than Daniels.

While I wouldn't argue with you if you said that Daniels is a more complete player (passer/rebounder), I think it's premature to say that he's a better player than Stack, even at this point in Stack's career. We've had phenomenal success with Diop (2nd best center) and Griffin (3rd best SG, if that) in the starting line-up, and with good reason. I see your point, but feel that there are better strategies than simply playing your top 5 players, straight up, at the start of games - a fact that AJ and the Mavs have proven time and again this season.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #25
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
These stats are skewed because of Daniels' lengthy absence,
I think that sums it up right there. I see them basically as the same type of player; guards who are effective in the low post and decent from midrange. The way I see it, Quis is better in the post (at least now anyway) and Stack is a better shooter. Stack probably is the better passer of the two, but I think Quis is a more willing passer. On defense neither are anything special, but I'd give a slight edge to Quis. All in all, I think Quis the more effective player at the 2.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #26
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think that sums it up right there. I see them basically as the same type of player; guards who are effective in the low post and decent from midrange. The way I see it, Quis is better in the post (at least now anyway) and Stack is a better shooter. Stack probably is the better passer of the two, but I think Quis is a more willing passer. On defense neither are anything special, but I'd give a slight edge to Quis. All in all, I think Quis the more effective player at the 2.
Alright, well I guess there's no convincing you so we'll have to see how Daniels uses his minutes the rest of the season. Nonetheless, returning to the original topic:

Quote:
...there are better strategies than simply playing your top 5 players, straight up, at the start of games - a fact that AJ and the Mavs have proven time and again this season.
Care to expand on your opinion of this?

Last edited by orangedays; 03-01-2006 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:57 PM   #27
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
...there are better strategies than simply playing your top 5 players, straight up, at the start of games - a fact that AJ and the Mavs have proven time and again this season.
It's true. There are times when it is better to bring someone off the bench. If Stackhouse is a better player than Daniels, I think he IS more effective off the bench, as I think Quis is more effective as a starter than he is as a 6th man. There were times when I thought Van Exel wa s a better player than Nash, but I never thought he should start over Nash. However, I don't think the Dampier/Diop situation falls under the same category.

I certainly don't think AJ has proven that startin Griff and Diop would be more effective than starting Quis and Damp at this point. I think we're playing better then we were when that was our lineup, sure, but I don't get the impression that it's specifically because of the lineup changes.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #28
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's true. There are times when it is better to bring someone off the bench. If Stackhouse is a better player than Daniels, I think he IS more effective off the bench, as I think Quis is more effective as a starter than he is as a 6th man. There were times when I thought Van Exel wa s a better player than Nash, but I never thought he should start over Nash. However, I don't think the Dampier/Diop situation falls under the same category.

I certainly don't think AJ has proven that startin Griff and Diop would be more effective than starting Quis and Damp at this point. I think we're playing better then we were when that was our lineup, sure, but I don't get the impression that it's specifically because of the lineup changes.
Fair enough, I think we're in agreement over (almost) everything. I think our discussion might be better settled after AJ shows us what his playoff line-ups will be.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #29
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Fair enough, I think we're in agreement over (almost) everything. I think our discussion might be better settled after AJ shows us what his playoff line-ups will be.
If AJ goes into the playoffs with no lineup changes, and we lose to the Spurs, Suns, or Pistons, I may or may not be compelled to believe that the starters should've been differend.

However... if we do win it all with the current lineup, I be sure to shut my damn yapper!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:25 PM   #30
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

If marquis plays aggresively like last game..but NOT like games before in his limited minutes then he might start. If he doesn't, to heck with him.

No one gets a free-ride on this team.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote