Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-26-2001, 05:28 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

With the Mavericks creating excitement all season, they've come to realize that the magic number for them to reach the playoffs stands at 23. That is, any combination of Mavericks victories and losses by the ninth-place team in the Western Conference totaling 23 would get the Mavericks into the playoffs for the first time since the 1989-'90 season.

For instance if the Houston Rockets (30-26), the current ninth-place team, go 17-9 the rest of the season, the Mavericks (34-22) would only have to finish with a 14-12 record to clinch a postseason berth, assuming that Seattle (29-27) and Denver (29-28) do not pass the Rockets.

"That's pretty cool," Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said. "But we've got to win at least 15 or 16 of the remaining games, and we should if we're a good team."

If the Mavericks reach their playoff goal, it probably won't be an easy journey. That is because the Rockets' schedule the rest of the season is much weaker than the Mavericks.

The Mavericks have seven games remaining against teams with losing records, including tonight's 9:30 contest at the Staples Center against the Los Angeles Clippers. Meanwhile, the Rockets have 11 games remaining against teams with sub.-500 records.

The Mavericks and Rockets also have two critical head-to-head games remaining this season, Saturday at Reunion Arena and April 3 at Houston.Text

This comes from the FWST. I found interesting anyway, but not sure what to think about it. For some reason it doesn't sound to promising, let's hope that the Rockets take a stumble or two. What do you guys think?
Old 02-28-2001, 12:21 AM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Rockets have a strong chance at going 15-10 the rest of the way, while the Mavs finish at 12-12. Crap that only adds up to 22..I'll have to go and examine the schedules some more!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 09:59 AM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I think the Rockets could go even higher DJ. They've got 25 games left, they could win 16 or 17 of those. 17-8 not out of the question.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2001, 12:41 PM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Today's FW-ST says the magic number is now 20. So I guess that changes things a little bit.
Old 03-03-2001, 03:46 AM   #5
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

The T-Wolves have a harder schedule than us, and even if the Rockets overtake us, we are 7th.
Old 03-04-2001, 01:01 PM   #6
djb
Administrator

I heard that the magic number is now 16 1/2. Can anyone verify?
Old 03-04-2001, 02:25 PM   #7
erub

erub is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure you can't have a magic number that is not a whole #. It is the number of combined wins by one team and losses by the trailing team.
erub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2001, 02:37 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

Good point. Then again, I did read it on the MavTalk board, where I found out Zhi Zhi weighed 300lbs+ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2001, 02:39 PM   #9
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Yep, you can't have a magic number that is half a number. They(Jim and Bob) said after the game yesterday that the magic number is 18. So that's what I going with until further notice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote