Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 11-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default PGT Mavs 94 Knicks 104

Notebook: Knicks 104, Mavericks 94

Joshua Newman, For NBA.com
Posted Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:46 PM - Updated Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:46 PM

THE FACTS: Carmelo Anthony scored 19 of his game-high 31 points in the first half to lead four players in double figures as the New York Knicks turned up the defensive intensity in the second half and rode it to a 104-94 win over the streaking Dallas Mavericks at Madison Square Garden.

J.R. Smith added 22 points off the bench for the Knicks, who also received 13 points from Ronnie Brewer and 11 points and nine rebounds from Tyson Chandler.

O.J. Mayo scored a team-high 23 points to pace the Mavericks, who could only manage 37 points after halftime thanks to the Knicks' defense.

QUOTABLE: "I thought the second half, we kind of settled in and our defense began to click a little bit. We held them to 37 points in the second half and we've had four straight games where no one has scored 40 points in the second half, so that's locking in and taking pride in defending the ball."

-- Knicks coach Mike Woodson

THE STAT: After a putrid defensive second quarter that saw the Knicks give up 34 points and allowed the Mavericks to shoot 12-for-22 from the field, New York held the opposition to 37 points after halftime, while also holding them to 39.4 percent (13-for-33) shooting from the field.

TURNING POINT: After the poor second quarter, the Knicks hung tough and only trailed, 67-66, with 7:39 left in the third. Over the next 5:21, they went on an 12-4 run to take their biggest lead of the night up to that point at 78-71 with 2:28 left in the period. The Knicks' run was highlighted by Smith, who scored nine of his 22. Smith's outburst came after Anthony went to the bench with his fourth personal foul.

QUOTABLE II: "No matter who our opponent was tonight, we needed to come out, get a 'W' and keep this thing going. We were a little flat to start the game, but Dallas is playing extremely well, so we knew we would have our hands full."

-- Knicks guard Jason Kidd.

HOT: Smith, who re-signed with the Knicks in the offseason for the seemingly-low price of two years and $5.7 million, continued his hot start on Friday night. The ninth-year reserve shooting guard had four steals to go along with his 22 points. The 22 points marked his third game of at least 17 points on the young season. Through his first eight NBA seasons, Smith has averaged 12.5 points and 1.0 steals per game.

NOT: Steve Novak, who led the NBA in 3-point shooting percentage last season at 47.2 percent, entered Friday off to a strong start to the season at 46.7 percent. However, the sharp-shooter struggled against the Mavericks. He missed all three of his attempts from deep in the second quarter and finished the game 1-for-4 from deep and 2-for-6 overall.

ROOKIE WATCH: Mavericks rookie small forward Jae Crowder has had a solid start to his NBA career, but that trend stopped on Friday evening. Crowder, last season's Big East Player of the Year and an Associated Press Second Team All-American selection as a senior at Marquette last season, shot 3-for-8 and finished with seven points to go along with three rebounds and four turnovers. He scored just two points after halftime. He entered the night averaging a respectable 8.6 points and 3.0 rebounds through the Mavericks' first five games.

NOTABLE: With the win, the Knicks are 4-0 for the first time since the 1993-94 season. That team, which lost to the Houston Rockets in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, began the season 7-0 on its way to a 57-25 record and the Atlantic Division title. The franchise has not claimed the Atlantic Division crown since that 1993-94 campaign.

UP NEXT: For the Knicks, Tuesday @ Magic, Thursday @ Spurs, Friday @ Grizzlies. For the Mavericks, Saturday @ Bobcats, Monday vs. Timberwolves, Wednesday vs. Wizards.
http://www.nba.com/games/20121109/DA...s=iref:nbahpts
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Lead Changes: 13
Times Tied: 7

Mavs out-rebounded the Knicks 50 to 43

Improved our free throw percentage to 87% in this game hitting 20 of 23

Only positive +/- was center Chris Kaman at +7
he played 27:38 min. 6-of-7 from the field and 2-of-2 at the line for 14 points, also had 7 boards.

Top Performers:
Dallas: O. Mayo 23 Pts, 7 Reb, 3 Ast
New York: C. Anthony 31 Pts, 7 Reb, 1 Ast, 2 Blk

Mavs had more fast break points: 18 to their 14
and tied with points in the paint at 40 each.

Notable:
The Mavs shot 39.1% and scored 79 points in the half court Friday, their second-fewest in a game this season. Entering Friday's game, the Mavs were shooting 48.7% in the half court, which ranked second in the NBA, and shot 55.0 percent over their previous three-game win streak.

Mavs next 5 games
11/10 @CHA 6:30pm
11/12 MIN 7:30pm
11/14 WSH 7:30pm
11/16 @IND 6:00pm
11/17 @CLE 6:30pm

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 11-10-2012 at 08:44 AM.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Meh... Charlotte will cure this hangover.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Let's hope they get it done next game.

Quote:
Collison after a 1-of-8 shooting night: "I feel like I let my team down tonight."
Quote:
Mayo in response to Collison: "No way. I think it was on me, too. I can't have 8 turnovers.
Quote:
Mayo on the 8 turnovers: "Just boneheaded plays."
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Went back and watched a few quarters from previous games after watching this one v the Knicks. I give the Knicks defense, which is much improved and surprisingly solid, some credit for this, but the Mavs in comparison looked like they were playing in slow motion compared to their previous two games. I think the problems here were very fixable...I don't expect Collison and OJ to shit the bed at the same time like this again.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Having shot blockers can really effect the other teams aggressiveness. It did seem to impact collison.

I didn't see much of the first, how did crowder do against Carmelo? I saw his 4 turnovers but there were a bunch of those to go around.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Having shot blockers can really effect the other teams aggressiveness. It did seem to impact collison.

I didn't see much of the first, how did crowder do against Carmelo? I saw his 4 turnovers but there were a bunch of those to go around.
Melo had his way with Crowder early, was getting good looks, also I am not a fan of Dahntay Jones, he has been dreadful so far this year. Badly missed Marion today, Knicks have a solid defensive scheme that they execute well, Tyson's obviously a big part of it but Brewer was the x factor on both ends.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Dahntay Jones played very good i thought. I would like him getting more PT but there are just too many bodies for too less time.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

I think his defense is vastly overrated
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
Kante
Diamond Member

He was the guy that frustrated Anthony yesterday. I think his defense is really, really good.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
mavs777
Diamond Member

Anthony frustrated himself more than anything, and a couple of no calls. His position defense especially in the mid post can use some work.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Dahntay did a nice job on Carmelo in the minutes I saw. I don't want to see him playing big minutes or anything, but as a spot defender you can do a lot worse.