Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #41
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Dont think Ro or Harp deserve it either for that matter. Both were really good, perfectly fine players. But not jersey retired types. You cant manufacture mystique

Last edited by mac222b; 06-28-2018 at 02:33 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2018, 02:40 PM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

When you are a young franchise, you get a little desperate to have that storied history.

Now we have a championship and a couple of guys who have a storied history with us (Dir, etc.)

I don't blame them for trying to build up the franchise history/mystique
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #43
Luke

Luke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the rough

It's unfortunate that the team from the 80's weren't able to keep things together in large part because of Aguirre and Tarpley. They were an extraordinarily talented team capable of making it to the Finals. I know most of the people on this forum don't remember that group but few teams in franchise history were ever as talented as the Mavs in the mid 80's... I'm sure most people have no idea that Mark Aguirre averaged more than 24 a game for his career in a Mavs uniform. They had championship caliber talent....extremely talented group especially by 1987/1988.

5 players in their primes that scored over 15,000 points in the NBA.. Well, Schrempf wasn't prime production yet but that was because minutes were a bit tight. And Tarpley..obviously didn't score 15k points, but he was a cornerstone piece. As good as Dirk? Maybe not..but it would have been fun to see what he could have been. He and Aguirre had Hall of Fame type talent.

Last edited by Luke; 06-29-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #44
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I think we're not excited enough about our other rookie selections. We haven't only added Dončić and Jordan to our team. We also added Brunson! I even think that Ray Spalding is going to be awesome. I love his work ethic. And then we even selected some freak's brother.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:50 PM   #45
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
I think we're not excited enough about our other rookie selections. We haven't only added Dončić and Jordan to our team. We also added Brunson! I even think that Ray Spalding is going to be awesome. I love his work ethic. And then we even selected some freak's brother.
Doncic/Jordan/Brunson/Spalding/Baby Freak... Can't remember the last time we hauled in this much promise in one summer. The next few years are going to be exciting!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #46
satrekker

satrekker will become famous soon enough

How odd. I had multiple follow-up posts about Brunson that are now gone. To sum them up, after further research and consideration, I've warmed up to him and am excited to see what he can do and bring to the Mavs. It's been the best off-season in years that I can remember, and I'm looking forward to cheering for the Mavs as they try to win again this next season.

Last edited by satrekker; 07-01-2018 at 10:13 PM.
satrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #47
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Im pumped about our new guys too.

https://youtu.be/h9TZrP_72Ro

https://youtu.be/jjJidQGlzXo

https://youtu.be/fAUxGs1nKsA

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #48
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Really hope they tear it up

Hyped to head to Vegas this week. Reports to come
Old 07-02-2018, 12:23 AM   #49
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Really hope they tear it up

Hyped to head to Vegas this week. Reports to come

When exactly does Summer League start? Do you know if/when/where the games will be televised?
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #50
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Friday 8:30p - Suns vs Mavs - ESPN
Sunday 6:00p - Mavs vs Bucks - NBATV
Monday 6:30p - Warriors vs Mavs - NBATV

After that it’s all playoffs. I think every team gets at least one game in the tourney and seedin is based on record where each quarter is counted as a game (winning the third and fourth in a huge comeback would be counted only as 2-2)

We’ll post the schedule once we know the next game, but if it’s anyrhing like years past they don’t give much notice

I also think you can access all games via Summer League Pass for $5
Old 07-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #51
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

I haven't watch Brunson play a single game but have watched some highlights since he got drafted. From what I have heard and seen I really like the kid and think we are underestimating how could he may become.

Just seems like a solid / smart basketball player and these days that can get you far. I saw some comparisons to Andre Miller ...maybe a better shooter?

If that the case...I think he may be very good.

I will go out on a limb and say that he will be the SL MVP ...calling it right now.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #52
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what you guys see in Brunson.

I see a lot of Raymond Felton in him - and not the peak Ray Ray. More like the way he played here. And we have a lot of backup point guards already
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:28 PM   #53
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@ESefko: The Mavericks have officially signed Jalen Brunson. The 33rd pick was expected to get a multiyear deal worth similar to what the last picks of the first round received -- about $1.5 million for his rookie season.

@ESefko: A source says the Mavericks' deal for Jalen Brunson is four years. He'll have 3 years guaranteed, much like the late first-round picks.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-16-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #54
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

2018-2019 1.5mill
2019-2020 1.7 mill
2020-2021 2.0 mill
2021-2022 2.3 mill (team option)

MFFL hates him, but that’s a darn good contract to have if he becomes anything— or even if he doesnt
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #55
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Brunson didn't have a good enough summer league to earn such a contract, but I'll pass judgement after some regular season games. Guess they can't just whiff on a high second round pick either way.

But the Mavs have had some terrible late lottery/early second round guard picks. Mo Ager, Jared Cunningham, Dominique Jones, Shan Larkin (mid first lol)...not like people don't have a reason to be skeptical.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #56
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I like Brunson. He still could be a steal. His shot is really smooth and I think he just had some bad games shooting. The only real person I'm going to keep track of in regards to Brunson is Robinson. Because in the 2nd round to get a guy who was a top 10 candidate before he pulled out of school is well worth the risk. Especially considering the position he plays and how we are always looking for a center it seems. And the downside to Brunson is that there is a ton of talent at the pg position in the NBA right now. Not just starting caliber but a ton of backups that are not a whole lot more talented than guys getting cut from rosters like Yogi(Nets had Dinwiddie Yogi and whitehead I believe). I always like going for bpa and worry about the roster and fit later. So I'm not against it myself but I have to wonder if the Mavs took Robinson off their board because of past problems with bigs with questions about motor or character or whatever you want to label Robinson as. Maybe after guys like Hammons and Noel we just were sick of wasting assets on enigmatic big men.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #57
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
MFFL hates him, but that’s a darn good contract to have if he becomes anything— or even if he doesnt
Its not that I >>hate<< him, its that we didn't need ANOTHER point guard. Especially one who is at best a backup point guard.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #58
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Its not that I >>hate<< him, its that we didn't need ANOTHER point guard. Especially one who is at best a backup point guard.
Point guards we have:

Smith
Barea
Brunson

End of list. Three PGs is on the low side of average.

We have Yogi, but Rick thinks he's a SG (which I think is the bigger issue)
Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #59
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Point guards we have:

Smith
Barea
Brunson

Most teams never play their 3rd or 4th point guard. We do. And Harris could be back any day now. With Yogi, that is 5 point guard types.

I've watched too many times when we would roll out JJ at point and Smith at the 2. And Yogi plays the 2 a lot but why? Because coach likes an attacking backcourt. I just would like to see us move away from a tiny backcourt because it sucks defensively
Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #60
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

Quote:
Point guards we have:

Smith

Barea

Brunson

Even if they did/do consider Yogi a PG you have to factor in that JJ will be gone after the season. By then Brunson will have a year under his belt and will be ready to challenge Yogi for the primary backup PG spot. Also if Brunson does not work out, his contract is very tradable. Personally though I think he will end up being a steal. You can’t judge him based on a couple of summer league games where he’s playing with a bunch of spares. Let’s get through preseason and well into the season before making a judgement on him as a player.
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #61
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I like Brunson. He still could be a steal. His shot is really smooth and I think he just had some bad games shooting. The only real person I'm going to keep track of in regards to Brunson is Robinson. Because in the 2nd round to get a guy who was a top 10 candidate before he pulled out of school is well worth the risk. Especially considering the position he plays and how we are always looking for a center it seems. And the downside to Brunson is that there is a ton of talent at the pg position in the NBA right now. Not just starting caliber but a ton of backups that are not a whole lot more talented than guys getting cut from rosters like Yogi(Nets had Dinwiddie Yogi and whitehead I believe). I always like going for bpa and worry about the roster and fit later. So I'm not against it myself but I have to wonder if the Mavs took Robinson off their board because of past problems with bigs with questions about motor or character or whatever you want to label Robinson as. Maybe after guys like Hammons and Noel we just were sick of wasting assets on enigmatic big men.
This is precisely how I feel about it. I hope they took the top player on their board. Second round is where physical talents with questions like Robinson, Whiteside and DeAndre Jordan(!)often fall. I would’ve loved us to take a chance on Robinson but Khyri Thomas was my guy that I wanted at that spot. I guess we’ll see in a couple years. It does sure seem that this group has a predilection for littler people. We really could use some length and defense on the wings and there were lots of guys like that left, but if they thought Brunson BPA I’m on board
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:47 AM   #62
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've always thought it is a rule of thumb to draft BPA in the 2nd round. You can always trade that player if he blossoms into something or trade one of the other players at the same position that might have more trade value.

Not saying Brunson will necessarily be the best player but they probably thought so at the draft. One thing I like about drafting Brunson is that he is a Rick type of player that will get plenty of opportunity.

Last edited by rimrocker; 07-17-2018 at 05:50 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #63
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Point guards we have:

Smith
Barea
Brunson

Point guards we have for our longterm future:
Smith
Brunson
Yogi

Good roster building. I really dont get why you always have to trash Yogi with the SG stuff or that the Mavs wanna keep him. Barea is a great dude but rosterwise no one should give a fuck about him anymore. Same with Harris.

Last edited by sefant77; 07-17-2018 at 08:22 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #64
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Most teams never play their 3rd or 4th point guard. We do. And Harris could be back any day now. With Yogi, that is 5 point guard types.

I've watched too many times when we would roll out JJ at point and Smith at the 2. And Yogi plays the 2 a lot but why? Because coach likes an attacking backcourt. I just would like to see us move away from a tiny backcourt because it sucks defensively
We didn't have any taller guards who can attack. Now we have 1, Doncic. If he rebounds like he did in Euro then we have upgraded the starting 2 a lot. Wes couldn't attack the basket or cause issues with the dribble and he sucked at rebounding.

We're still subjected to watching midget ball because we only added 1 piece and the small guards are still on board but the amount of minutes we will have to endure it has gone down some. Yogi, JJB, Wes, Broekhoff, Dirk or some variation off the bench is bad defensively but solid offensively.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #65
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I'll chime in and say I wanted Svi from Kansas. The departure of our shooters would have made that an even better pick in hindsight.

But I can't fault the FO here. They obviously went BPA as they have stated they had a first round grade on him, and even paid him as such. I'll stick with the guys who had extensively more research on these guys and see how Brunson plays with NBA talent. He balled out at Villanova and was an exceptional college player. I'm not going to judge him on summer league play, just as I'll reserve judgement on any player who played well or not so well in SL.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #66
Underdog

Jalen Brunson modeling his game after Steve Nash
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/statu...58797613182977

Last edited by Underdog; 09-02-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:49 PM   #67
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I'll chime in and say I wanted Svi from Kansas. The departure of our shooters would have made that an even better pick in hindsight.
I was a big fan of Svi as well until I read he is 6'8" with a 6'4" WS. He does have a quick release though.
I think we did fine with Brunson and he'll be a nice asset in the somewhat near future as either a solid backup or as a trade chip.

Last edited by rimrocker; 09-07-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #68
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Jalen Brunson modeling his game after Steve Nash
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/statu...58797613182977
Gotta love the kid for his passion and attitude for the game.
Interesting idea from the guy who stated a starting lineup of Brunson/DSJ/Doncic/Barnes/DJ. Would be a small team but could become pretty damn dynamic on offense and a Carlisle dream.

Last edited by rimrocker; 09-07-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #69
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Gotta love the kid for his passion and attitude for the game.
Interesting idea from the guy who stated a starting lineup of Brunson/DSJ/Doncic/Barnes/DJ. Would be a small team but could become pretty damn dynamic on offense and a Carlisle dream.
Not a fan of that lineup. Dsj isnt a good enough shooter yet. Also, Brunson looked really bad in summer league. If this were 2k18 maybe that works but we are a long way away from that playing out

Old 09-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #70
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Not a fan of that lineup. Dsj isnt a good enough shooter yet. Also, Brunson looked really bad in summer league. If this were 2k18 maybe that works but we are a long way away from that playing out
I don't see that lineup anytime soon....I'm thinking more down the road.
I think the hope is that Brunson will become legit starter material on a good team.
Defensively that lineup could be a nightmare for us though.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #71
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

In what ways is Trae Young a better player than Brunson? shot? handles? speed? defense? I'm just wondering... give Brunson the green light that Trae has and i feel like he could do similar things.
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #72
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
In what ways is Trae Young a better player than Brunson? shot? handles? speed? defense? I'm just wondering... give Brunson the green light that Trae has and i feel like he could do similar things.
Trae's plusses
volume
creating
FTs

20pts, 10ast, 4reb, 0.7stl per 36 (although his usage and his ability to shoot whenever it off the charts
40.0% FG
45.1% eFG%
25.6% 3pt%
81.4% FTs
4.8TOV

Brunson's plusses
size
strength
better shooter
better defender by far

12.6pts, 4ast, 4reb, 1.2stl per 36
41.9% FG
47.6% eFG%
29.2% 3pt
71.4% FTs
2.0TOV

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #73
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Trae's plusses
volume
creating
FTs

20pts, 10ast, 4reb, 0.7stl per 36 (although his usage and his ability to shoot whenever it off the charts
40.0% FG
45.1% eFG%
25.6% 3pt%
81.4% FTs
4.8TOV

Brunson's plusses
size
strength
better shooter
better defender by far

12.6pts, 4ast, 4reb, 1.2stl per 36
41.9% FG
47.6% eFG%
29.2% 3pt
71.4% FTs
2.0TOV
thanks for the stats EL

just watching Trae i'm scratching my head wondering what he has that Jalen wouldn't be able to provide. he doesn't strike me as a better athlete or a better shooter so far. in terms of creating, situation is different where he's got the ball a lot more with more chances to create which is my whole point... if given the same green light and opportunities, maybe JB is able to do similar things? The Steph Curry comparisons may just need a few years to develop I suppose.
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #74
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I'm always hesitant to compare stats like the per 36 between a starter and backup. Starters get game planned by the opposing teams where bench players generally do not, espcially ones that don't get a lot of playing time. I'm sure JJB gets some attention since he's a very effective leader of our second unit, but you know for sure that teams are changing their defense to account for DSJ and Doncic now.

If you made JB our starting PG and committed to ~30 mpg for him, I feel like teams would figure him out. But then there are players like James Harden who move from a bench role to a franchise player. So what do I know.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #75
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Is Brunson legit 6'3" tall? He seems smaller whenever I see him playing...
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #76
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Is Brunson legit 6'3" tall? He seems smaller whenever I see him playing...
Because he is.

By NBA measurements (with shoes) he was measured at 6'2.25"
By European measurements (without shoes) he was measured at an even 6'1"
Old 11-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #77
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

And has a 6-4 dwarf wingspan, so he plays pretty small.

Roddy was 6-2 in shoes and had a 6-10 wingspan and a 39" vertical
Old 11-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #78
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Brunson kind of reminds me of a young Derek Fisher.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #79
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Brunson kind of reminds me of a young Derek Fisher.
I think that's who I expect him to be as a pro. I could live with that as a 2nd round pick.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #80
sefant77
Guru

Brunson is going to have a better career than DSJ

I think its not even a hot take anymore...