Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #41
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

My guess is same as yours: JJB is getting $2.6M to go to camp, and then get cut, to be offered a coaching gig for more $$. and, if they are desperate for a backup PG during the season (e.g., due to injuries), they could sign JJB at that time, right? Would they cut either Boban or Iwundu, so they could keep JJB on the 15 man roster? I cannot see that. that would be stupid, IMO.

there is no way they will cut Tyler Terry. He gets 2 years minimum to show what he can do. He might be one of the top 3 shooters on the team on day 1 of training camp. He shot 48% on catch and shoot 3s in college. His 4 yr. contract is brilliance by the MBT.

Nate Hinton and Tyler Bey were supposed to be signed to 2-ways, but we are waiting to see.
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #42
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I don't get the Barea thing? I guess we just have the cash left and we reward Barea for being awesome. Maybe lights a fire under the young guys even though Terry will probably win out. I like that Rick wants to keep guys hungry. The only problem is that once Terry gets a deal, if we cut him, we lose his rights. We can't just bump him down to the G-League while retaining rights. Most likely, Barea just gets waived and signs on as a coach while collecting that guaranteed money as a reward for loyalty.

Also I love that Brunson contract. They don't always work out (Roby and others), but when they do, you lock up a guy for cheap and long. 4 years 6 mill is a bargain for a guy like Brunson who has averaged 20 mpg over his first two seasons. Successful teams need those guys who produce but aren't paid much. If Terry sucks? He didn't really hurt our cap since he's barely over a cap hold. If he's good, then you just secured a potential second-stringer/starter for minimum money for multiple years of Doncic's reign.
I don't get it either......maybe he's our Udonis Haslem.....only thing I can think of.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #43
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/c...tm_medium=mweb

The dawgs are on the way.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #44
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I don't get it either......maybe he's our Udonis Haslem.....only thing I can think of.
I think that's basically it. I think they just like having him in the locker room.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #45
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
We have more than addressed defense needs but I'm wondering if we comprised some bench scoring in the process.
Burke will replace most of Curry's scoring. Plus don't forget that Maxi is now a bench player again. I think our bench will be even more explosive
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #46
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I don't think the plan is for Barea to have a roster spot. Really hope he coaches.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #47
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Preseason Schedule
12/12 - @Milwaukee
12/14 - @Milwaukee
12/17 - Minnesota
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:37 AM   #48
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't get the Barea thing? I guess we just have the cash left and we reward Barea for being awesome. Maybe lights a fire under the young guys even though Terry will probably win out. I like that Rick wants to keep guys hungry. The only problem is that once Terry gets a deal, if we cut him, we lose his rights. We can't just bump him down to the G-League while retaining rights. Most likely, Barea just gets waived and signs on as a coach while collecting that guaranteed money as a reward for loyalty.

Also I love that Brunson contract. They don't always work out (Roby and others), but when they do, you lock up a guy for cheap and long. 4 years 6 mill is a bargain for a guy like Brunson who has averaged 20 mpg over his first two seasons. Successful teams need those guys who produce but aren't paid much. If Terry sucks? He didn't really hurt our cap since he's barely over a cap hold. If he's good, then you just secured a potential second-stringer/starter for minimum money for multiple years of Doncic's reign.
We're totally rewarding him, kinda like we rewarded Dirk one of his last seasons. When you have the money left you do this sort of thing. I doubt this means he's necessarily getting the last spot either. This just means we're paying him something as a thank you for his past services.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:25 AM   #49
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Burke will replace most of Curry's scoring. Plus don't forget that Maxi is now a bench player again. I think our bench will be even more explosive
Yeah, Burke will carry most of the load from the bench but Rick will have many options to keep a balanced team on the court at all times. Richardson was a huge acquisition in that regard and could become one of the most key players on this team outside of Luka and KP.
I'm really hoping he can evolve into that 3rd option that we definitely need and I personally think he will. I've been wanting that trade to happen for a hell of a long time and now I'm ecstatic that we have Richardson on this team.

I also think Terry will exceed expectations in development. Rick will absolutely love this guy and will find a place for him. If Brunson or Burke go down for any length of time, Terry will get his opportunity.
Jesus, I haven't been this happy starting the season as a Mavs fan since they drafted Ro Blackman. Yeah, I'm old

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-28-2020 at 09:30 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #50
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jesus, I haven't been this happy starting the season as a Mavs fan since they drafted Ro Blackman. Yeah, I'm old
Aguirre, Blackman, and Vincent was a helluva haul. That was a great draft for us

I still boo Kiki Vanderweghe if his name gets announced on the TV. My wife thinks I'm insane
Old 11-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #51
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, Burke will carry most of the load from the bench but Rick will have many options to keep a balanced team on the court at all times. Richardson was a huge acquisition in that regard and could become one of the most key players on this team outside of Luka and KP.
I'm really hoping he can evolve into that 3rd option that we definitely need and I personally think he will. I've been wanting that trade to happen for a hell of a long time and now I'm ecstatic that we have Richardson on this team.

I also think Terry will exceed expectations in development. Rick will absolutely love this guy and will find a place for him. If Brunson or Burke go down for any length of time, Terry will get his opportunity.
I'm right there with you on Richardson. That trade being made without giving up Green or Terry while also adding Bey... I really don't see how that is not an A+ move.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #52
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I'm right there with you on Richardson. That trade being made without giving up Green or Terry while also adding Bey... I really don't see how that is not an A+ move.
The move for Richardson was amazing. He should fit better here than he did in Philly with better spacing. Easy to forget he was a hot commodity a couple years ago. Donnie is great at buying low or on distressed assets, which Rick then spins into gold.

I honestly think the trade for Richardson and signing of Burke were two of the best offseason transactions for ANY team, homerism aside.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #53
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Aguirre, Blackman, and Vincent was a helluva haul. That was a great draft for us

I still boo Kiki Vanderweghe if his name gets announced on the TV. My wife thinks I'm insane
1982 draft was horrible but the 4 years after that the Mavs did great.

1983 - Dale Ellis/Derek Harper
1984 - Sam Perkins
1985 - Detlef Schrempf/Bill Wennington
1986 - Roy Tarpley/Mark Price

Then then it was horrible again for the next 5 years.

1987 - Jim Farmer
1988 - Morlon Wiley (2nd rounder)
1989 - Randy White
1990 - Phil Henderson (2nd rounder)
1991 - Doug Smith

Then good again for 3 years with Jackson/Rooks/Mashburn/Kidd/Dumas
And then bad again for the next 3 years with Parks/Meyer/Walker/Cato.

Seems to be a trend for this team.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #54
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Richardson seems to fill several needs for this team. 3-D wing, toughness, secondary ball handler, confidence, athleticism and veteran presence.
I'll be extremely shocked if he isn't a good fit and impact player for this team. I think he should become the 3rd most important player on this team.

I honestly thought we'd have to give up a pick with Curry to get Richardson. In fact I made a trade suggestion on this board a few months ago Curry/#18 for Richardson/#34/#36.
Good thing Donnie is our GM instead of me As far as I'm concerned that was one of Donnie's most brilliant moves.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-28-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #55
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Richardson seems to fill several needs for this team. 3-D wing, toughness, secondary ball handler, confidence, athleticism and veteran presence.
I'll be extremely shocked if he isn't a good fit and impact player for this team. I think he should become the 3rd most important player on this team.
Almost sounds like the player they hoped Delon to be. I think Richardson is going to thrive here. Fantastic pickup this off-season. Can’t wait to watch the team this season.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #56
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Almost sounds like the player they hoped Delon to be. I think Richardson is going to thrive here. Fantastic pickup this off-season. Can’t wait to watch the team this season.
Exactly but Richardson should fit better because he is a better shooter and plays with more confidence. At least I hope he becomes more of an impact than Wright.

But even if Richardson doesn't fit, he should be a nice tradeable asset that could easily be moved at TDL or most likely an expiring contract at the end of the season.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #57
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not only that, but I take Richardson over Covington. And Covington costs you a lot to get to boot.

I'm just happy we were able to sell high on Curry. I would also not choose Curry over Richardson under basically any circumstance outside of desperately needing shooting.

All Jrich needs to do is average 15ppg and play great defense. I hope we keep him long term if it works out.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-28-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:59 AM   #58
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Yea. I think the expectation of JRich is the best of what we hoped Delon would be. Just better defensively and more aggressive overall.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:02 AM   #59
FollowedKPtodallas

FollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really niceFollowedKPtodallas is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Calling it now, Hardaway Jr. is going to have a hell of a season. The man has been putting in nonstop work. I think he’s out to earn a HUGE contract,
I'm sorry I can't disagree more. No way THJ shoots 39% this year from 3.
FollowedKPtodallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:39 AM   #60
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowedKPtodallas View Post
A little more likely than Nate Robinson resuming his professional boxing career.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:31 AM   #61
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Quote:
He's rhe primary shooter now, he's not shooting that high.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #62
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He shot 40% from three last year. Why would 39% be impossible? Because Curry (who played in our second unit) left? I don't get the logic there.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-29-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #63
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
He's rhe primary shooter now, he's not shooting that high.
I skimmed the last page, so hopefully I’m not misunderstanding the conversation, but:

Go check the attempts...THJ was the primary shooter last year, tbh. He shot 40% on over 500 attempts (7.2 per game, 8.8 per 36). The only shooters who made a bigger impact at such a high volume were Robinson, Reddick and Hield. That’s ELITE company.

If you think it might have been an outlier, and that he won’t be as good this season, that’s fair. But, it is inaccurate to say that Curry was more important to the Mavs last season than THJ. Curry is a better shooter, but he’s even more one dimensional than THJ. And, for whatever reason, Curry doesn’t seem to be able to get enough shots off to make his one dimension work for his team in as meaningful of a way. Maybe it’s just his size, maybe his release is too slow (it’s definitely not as quick as THJ’s) or maybe he’s just selfishly concerned about his percentages.

I love Curry, and I was sorry to see him go, but the team’s only real trade assets were three value players on value contracts: Curry, DFS and Kleber. Of those three, Curry is unquestionably the one I feel was least crucial moving forward. To get Richardson AND a pick (Tyler Bey!!) for him was a master stroke, imo.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-29-2020 at 11:07 AM.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #64
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
I skimmed the last page, so hopefully I’m not misunderstanding the conversation, but:

Go check the attempts...THJ was the primary shooter last year, tbh. He shot 40% on over 500 attempts (7.2 per game, 8.8 per 36). The only shooters who made a bigger impact at such a high volume were Robinson, Reddick and Hield. That’s ELITE company.

If you think it might have been an outlier, and that he won’t be as good this season, that’s fair. But, it is inaccurate to say that Curry was more important to the Mavs last season than THJ. Curry is a better shooter, but he’s even more one dimensional than THJ. And, for whatever reason, Curry doesn’t seem to be able to get enough shots off to make his one dimension work for his team in as meaningful of a way. Maybe it’s just his size, maybe his release is too slow (it’s definitely not as quick as THJ’s) or maybe he’s just selfishly concerned about his percentages.

I love Curry, and I was sorry to see him go, but the team’s only real trade assets were three value players on value contracts: Curry, DFS and Kleber. Of those three, Curry is unquestionably the one I feel was least crucial moving forward. To get Richardson AND a pick (Tyler Bey!!) for him was a master stroke, imo.
This/Must spread rep.

THJ was tied for 20th in 3pt FGA and shot 40% from three so only 19 other guys in the entire league shot more (Doncic was one). It's not like he was averaging 2 attempts and now we're going to ask him to do 7. He had 7.2 attempts and I fully expect him to average 6-8 again this year. He also averaged 40% on those 7.2 attempts. Thats a huge number of attempts and a great percentage.

So let's look at the gains/losses.

Guys we lost
Wright 0.6 made, 1.7 attempted 37.0%
Jackson 0.7 made, 2.5 attempted, 29.4%
Curry 2.3 made 5.0 attempted 45.2%
---------------------------------------------
Total loss of 3.6 made threes, 9.2 attempted threes 39.1%

Guys we gained
Burke 2.0 made 4.6 attempted 43.2%
Johnson 1.2 made 3.3 attempted 37.0%
Richardson 1.5 made, 4.5 attempted 34.1%
-----------------------------------------------
Total added 4.7 made threes, 12.4 attempted threes 38%

Guys we still don't know about, but who may be able to shoot
Green - rookie 3/D guy. Was 36% in college (67% in last month of the season. Incredibly efficient in catch and shoot)
Terry - rookie sharpshooter. Was 41% in college (top three in efficiency with catch and shoot shots)
WCS - barely attempted a shot, but worked on it and it may have "clicked"
----------------------------------------------------
Total added: too early to tell. Rookies may not play. WCS may not perform outside of the gym.

Net change: +1.1 made threes, +3.4 attempts -1.1% efficiency

I'd wager $100 that Richardson shoots better this year than last and the combination of Richardson/Johnson/Burke in 2020-2021 outshoot Jackson/Curry/Wright in 2019-2020, but even if they don't, I see zero reason why THJ would have to dramatically take on a higher three-point load than last year. We actually got more guys comfortable shooting the three and they're almost as efficient as a whole. Plus we'll have Brunson back (36%) and eventually KP will return who shot 6 threes a game and made over 50% of them in the playoffs (38% in the bubble on 7 attempts a game). There are actually only a couple of guys on the whole roster who can't shoot a three (Boban and Powell are the only two guys on the roster who can't hit 30%)

Returning guys. 40%=specialist (eFG%=60%) 35%= good (eFG% 52.5%) 30%=baseline efficiency to keep defenders honest (eFG% 45%)
THJ - 2.9makes 7.2attempts 39.8%
DFS - 1.6makes 4.3 attempts 37.6%
Kleber - 1.6makes 4.3attempts 37.3%
Brunson - 0.8makes 2.1attempts 35.8%

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-29-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #65
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Burke technically isn't new he played in the bubble.

Also played the prior year in Dallas and honestly should've been resigned the prior offseason.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #66
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

Also played the prior year in Dallas and honestly should've been resigned the prior offseason.
Do you really have to be that guy every time?

He played 8 regular season games for us. That's it. He's a new addition. Not this offseason, but he's new. I never said he was new this offseason. Just that he joined is recently.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-29-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #67
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

I was going to post the same thing earlier, but I figured everyone here already knew that.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:03 PM   #68
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
The Mavs managed to significantly improve the roster AND accumulate more trade assets without giving up anything crucial or taking on bad salary. That's pretty incredible. And people around the basketball world are talking about Terry being the biggest steal of the draft and how he could have been a lottery pick. Yeah, this was one hell of an offseason for the Mavs, in a situation where I don't think any of us were expecting much.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:33 PM   #69
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
.. in a situation where I don't think any of us were expecting much.
You can say that again. I was fully prepared for the idea that they'd give up the chance to draft a player at #18 in exchange for the privilege of overpaying some old guy, and spent the majority of the past two months trying to decide which one I liked best. At one point I was convinced Hayward was the way to go, and then for a while I was even on the Rubio train (as evidenced by my long post about it here).

Instead of adding a "win now vet" via sign and trade with 18 and another with the MLE, they doubled down on YOUNG players, picking up Richardson, who's right in line with Luka and KP's timeline, and added FOUR other young players who could potentially be very exciting (five, if you count WCS). As you say, they did this while INCREASING their team-building flexibility and basically doubled the team's athletic profile. This might be the most athletic roster the Mavericks have ever had (literally). I'm a little too young to remember the three J's, but I KNOW this group is more athletic than any version of the team since Cuban bought them. Now, most of those athletic guys aren't going to play much right away, but the whole idea of investing in youth is that it's worth the wait. I did NOT see this coming.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-29-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #70
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

What are you looking forward to the most this season? The dawgs? More Luka triple doubles? More 40 foot 3's from KP? Lob passes to both Dwight Powell and WCS? A 50-point game? Please share here.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #71
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
What are you looking forward to the most this season? The dawgs? More Luka triple doubles? More 40 foot 3's from KP? Lob passes to both Dwight Powell and WCS? A 50-point game? Please share here.
Luka will always, always top the list of things I'm excited about. You know he's never not working on his game. I want to what he has improved, and what the roster changes around him will do for his game. My biggest hope is that the addition of Richardson as a secondary playmaker will help Luka's 3pt%, because he's not having to take so many bail out shots and the shot clock is running out.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:45 PM   #72
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

https://twitter.com/kporzee/status/1...456251906?s=21

KP getting some shots up already
Old 11-29-2020, 10:01 PM   #73
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Idk if this is looking forward to or a reasonable wish list:

1. KP healthy.

2. Luka hitting free throws - If that's his biggest improvement, it helps us win at least a handful more games alone.

3. The new guys hit the ground running. Especially Jrich, and JJ. I think those 2 guys being the best version of themselves moves us up a step or two.

Bonus:

WCS taking a leap forward into his potential.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:56 PM   #74
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Players need to show up at the Mavs facility tomorrow.

Tuesday is the first day of camp
Old 11-29-2020, 11:05 PM   #75
KillerLeft

Quote:
Players need to show up at the Mavs facility tomorrow.

Tuesday is the first day of camp

Old 11-29-2020, 11:27 PM   #76
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
That's encouraging. Who knows how long it will be before he can actually play, but it is encouraging.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:52 AM   #77
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
I am excited to see an improved defense. Watching stars play basketball is always enjoyable but playing winning basketball is my favorite thing. And it is really difficult to win without being able to play defense
Old 11-30-2020, 01:51 AM   #78
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Definitely the dawgs. It's great that they embrace that and know exactly what the team needs. Such defined roles are really lacking with this team. Biggest issue last season was way too many chefs in the B squad kitchen with too many tweener players.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #79
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Read an interesting trade idea:

THJ/Maxi/Brunson
for
Lowry

Wonder if Raps would do it replacing Maxi with Powell.
Old 11-30-2020, 02:00 PM   #80
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Read an interesting trade idea:

THJ/Maxi/Brunson
for
Lowry

Wonder if Raps would do it replacing Maxi with Powell.
EWww why would we do that?