Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What seed do the Mavs finish the season with?
Homecourt (1-4) 0 0%
5th seed 3 17.65%
6th seed 8 47.06%
7th seed 5 29.41%
8th seed 0 0%
Lottery 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2021, 10:51 PM   #41
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Lakers lost tonight. Utah currently beating Portland.
I'm watching that Portland game right now

I hate to cheer for Utah but oh well

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-08-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2021, 10:53 PM   #42
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I'm watching that Portland game right now

I hate to cheer for Utah but oh well
Ever since AK47 stopped playing basketball I can at least stomach rooting for Utah.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:40 PM   #43
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Ever since AK47 stopped playing basketball I can at least stomach rooting for Utah.
1 back of Portland they need to stay focused and stop laying eggs vs some of these bad teams.

Not only does getting the 6 seed allow them a potential better matchup but I believe they would get small break and rest do to the play in tournament taking a few days to complete.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:50 PM   #44
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I disagree

Playoffs are all about matchups.
I disagree

The playoffs are about clicking at the right time. In 2011, we had a bad matchup in every series and won them all
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #45
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs have played 50 games and 22 games remain

Standings
1) Jazz - 9.5 games behind the Jazz for 1st
2) Suns - 7 games behind the Suns for 2nd
3) Clippers - 5 games behind the Lakers for 4th
4) Nuggets - 4 games behind the Nuggets for 5th
5) Lakers - 2.5 games behind the Lakers for 3rd
6) Blazers - 1 game behind the Blazers for 5th
7) Mavs
8) Grizzlies - 2 games behind the Mavs for 7th
------------------
9) Spurs - 4 games behind us
10) Warriors - 5 games behind us

--------------------------------------
The difficulty of remaining schedule
=====================
2 - Spurs - 2nd hardest schedule (.554)
3 - Blazers - 3rd hardest schedule (.537)
4 - Lakers - 4th hardest schedule (.530)
8 - Suns - 8th hardest schedule (.519)
17 - Denver - 17th hardest schedule (.492)
22 - Memphis - 22nd hardest schedule (.484)
27 - Warriors - 27th hardest schedule (.466)
29 - Mavs - Mavs have the third easiest schedule (.461)
29 - Clippers - 29th hardest schedule (.447)
30 - Jazz - 30th hardest schedule (.445)

After a "catastrophic" loss against the Rockets, the Mavs have treaded water against Blazers and have made ground on the Lakers.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-09-2021 at 09:52 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:24 PM   #46
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I disagree

The playoffs are about clicking at the right time. In 2011, we had a bad matchup in every series and won them all
They played Portland and OKC

Those weren't bad matchups for the Mavs.

The Mavs were the better team all year and it showed in the playoffs vs those teams.

If you want to make an argument for the Lakers and Heat that's cool but I don't buy the Blazers and Thunder because neither one of them were stopping Dallas all year that season.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:13 PM   #47
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They played Portland and OKC

Those weren't bad matchups for the Mavs.

The Mavs were the better team all year and it showed in the playoffs vs those teams.

If you want to make an argument for the Lakers and Heat that's cool but I don't buy the Blazers and Thunder because neither one of them were stopping Dallas all year that season.
The Mavericks were 2-2 against Portland and our two wins came early in the season. And 2-1 against OKC (who had Durant, Harden, and Westbrook)

Where did you get the idea that neither one of them weren't able to stop Dallas?

And I distinctly remember that the only team that we were the favorites was the Portland series and Portland was the the darlings of the NBA when they beat us 2 games in a row to tie the series
Old 04-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #48
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dallas41;1492132]

Playoffs are all about matchups.

The matchup that made the biggest difference in 2011 was JJ Barea. The Lakers and the Heat were mature teams, but neither had anyone quick enough to stay in front of JJB. The sight of 90 year old Derrick Fisher chasing him around is forever solidified in my memory. Miami had no answer for him, so he started the last 2 or 3 games.

Matchups are huge in the playoffs, but more important is who steps up to the challenge. Just ask Paul George.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:24 PM   #49
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Lakers could fall to 8, draw Mavericks in play-in, play the Warriors in the second play in, and miss the playoffs.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #50
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
Lakers could fall to 8, draw Mavericks in play-in, play the Warriors in the second play in, and miss the playoffs.
If the Lakers fall to 8, that would almost certainly mean the Mavs are up to 6th and not in the play-in.

I could see the rest taking place, though.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #51
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Dreaded Double Post Deleted

Last edited by G-Man; 04-10-2021 at 06:39 PM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:13 PM   #52
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I think I underrated the Lakers supporting cast

They have actually surprised me without AD & LeBron.

Didn't think would be able to hold up but they've faired pretty well
Old 04-11-2021, 12:56 AM   #53
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
If the Lakers fall to 8, that would almost certainly mean the Mavs are up to 6th and not in the play-in.

I could see the rest taking place, though.
Not necessarily.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:30 AM   #54
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Also just realized that the Lakers picked up Ben McLemore

That crap is unreal how they got both Drummond and McLemore without giving up shit.

They aren't falling to 8th seed that's for sure Drummond will hold it down til AD & Bron return.

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-11-2021 at 02:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #55
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also just realized that the Lakers picked up Ben McLemore

That crap is unreal how they got both Drummond and McLemore without giving up shit.

They aren't falling to 8th seed that's for sure Drummond will hold it down til AD & Bron return.
You say that like McLemore is a good player. Dude is shooting like 35% this season.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #56
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
You say that like McLemore is a good player. Dude is shooting like 35% this season.
Does it really matter if we consider him good or not?

He's capable of hitting 3's and playing better around their star players.

But Drummond alone added that lineup is the real concern.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:04 AM   #57
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
This ain't happening the Lakers unlike the Mavs have proven they can win games now without their star players.

If someone had asked me a month a ago if they could continue to win I would have said NO way in hell.

And even if they do play the Mavs in a play in game they would kick our ass so we would be the team to play Golden St not LA.

Also impressed with Phoenix....

I'm not sure how the Suns surpassed the Mavs so quickly when the Mavs were talked about as being the team with the bigger upside.

Phoenix Front office has done an amazing job surrounding Booker & Ayton with with solid talent far superior then what Dallas has done surrounding Luka and KP in the same amount of time.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:19 AM   #58
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Suns FO did a great job gathering tradable assets. I don’t blame the Mavs for not making the CP3 deal because I don’t think they could beat the Suns offer which basically ended up being 2 1st round picks, 1 1st round move up, and a couple of young guys.

Ultimately Mavs need to push hard for another star and do whatever it takes to get him. A dollar is worth more than 5 quarters in the NBA.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #59
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This ain't happening the Lakers unlike the Mavs have proven they can win games now without their star players.

If someone had asked me a month a ago if they could continue to win I would have said NO way in hell.

And even if they do play the Mavs in a play in game they would kick our ass so we would be the team to play Golden St not LA.

Also impressed with Phoenix....

I'm not sure how the Suns surpassed the Mavs so quickly when the Mavs were talked about as being the team with the bigger upside.

Phoenix Front office has done an amazing job surrounding Booker & Ayton with with solid talent far superior then what Dallas has done surrounding Luka and KP in the same amount of time.
I find the Suns part disingenuous at best...

The Suns didn't trade firsts to get Ayton like the Mavs did with Luka. The Suns didn't trade firsts to get booker like the Mavs did with KP. Comparing their moves after the arrival of KP can't be more night and day different from an asset perspective.

The Suns took 5 years to become competitive after drafting Booker. They surrounded him with so much "help" during that time that they drafted in the lottery every year after Booker was drafted. During that time they drafted in the top 5 in 3 different years(Bender-bust, Jackson-bust, Ayton- hard to bust a #1 pick but they could have had Luka), the 6th pick once(Traded down for Cam), and the 10th pick once(Jalen). The Mavs meanwhile after moving up for Luka immediately that season moved heaven and earth to get him a co-star. And have had 1 1st round pick since Luka's arrival(Green). Can anyone imagine how much this place would meltdown if we took 5 years being patient and drafting and busting like the Suns did after Booker? We made it to the playoffs the year after Luka got here and we meltdown in every GDT. Luka's skill alone makes us drafting in the top 5 let alone number 1 impossible though honestly.

We are comparing a team that has picked in the lottery for like 12 of the last 14 years to the Mavs who have been competitive with the exception of Dirks final years for an incredibly long time. Those things matter because the Steve Nash trade to LA led to the drafting of Mikal Bridges. They are a good looking team and grats to them but the only area the Mavs are total failures imo is free agency. Even if people want to complain about Bey vs Green that's one pick and one that was significantly later than the Suns have picked since Booker's arrival.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #60
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:

The Suns didn't trade firsts to get Ayton like the Mavs did with Luka. The Suns didn't trade firsts to get booker like the Mavs did with KP. Comparing their moves after the arrival of KP can't be more night and day different from an asset perspective.

The Suns took 5 years to become competitive after drafting Booker. They surrounded him with so much "help" during that time that they drafted in the lottery every year after Booker was drafted. During that time they drafted in the top 5 in 3 different years(Bender-bust, Jackson-bust, Ayton- hard to bust a #1 pick but they could have had Luka), the 6th pick once(Traded down for Cam), and the 10th pick once(Jalen). The Mavs meanwhile after moving up for Luka immediately that season moved heaven and earth to get him a co-star. And have had 1 1st round pick since Luka's arrival(Green). Can anyone imagine how much this place would meltdown if we took 5 years being patient and drafting and busting like the Suns did after Booker? We made it to the playoffs the year after Luka got here and we meltdown in every GDT. Luka's skill alone makes us drafting in the top 5 let alone number 1 impossible though honestly.

We are comparing a team that has picked in the lottery for like 12 of the last 14 years to the Mavs who have been competitive with the exception of Dirks final years for an incredibly long time. Those things matter because the Steve Nash trade to LA led to the drafting of Mikal Bridges. They are a good looking team and grats to them but the only area the Mavs are total failures imo is free agency. Even if people want to complain about Bey vs Green that's one pick and one that was significantly later than the Suns have picked since Booker's arrival.
100% this.

Suns have missed the playoffs for 11 consecutive years. In that time, Mavs made the playoffs seven times. That's a lot of lottery picks that the Mavs simply didn't have, because we were actually kinda good.

Then you end up trading three FRPs for Luka/KP and it's pretty clear how different our situations are-- so different that it's not even a fair comparison.

I mean, you can say we shouldn't have traded away the picks, but Young and Reddish for Luka seems to be a darn good trade. KP is disappointing, but everyone we traded was trash, the two picks are likely to be late/mid FRPs, and THJ has actually been a nice starter for us even if his defense is more Finley than Kawhi.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-14-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #61
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Must spread rep..
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #62
Dallas41
Diamond Member

I'm talking about coming into this season

The Mavs were viewed a top 4 team out west and had more build up than the Suns.

They were supposed to be doing what the Suns are doing
Old 04-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #63
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:

The Mavs were viewed a top 4 team out west and had more build up than the Suns.

They were supposed to be doing what the Suns are doing
There's your problem. You are basing your whole opinion on the opinions of talking heads.

And if you take away the Covid games, we ARE a top 4 team in the west. Since we got our guys back from protocols, we've been 20-10. Continued across the season, that would be 4th seed.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-14-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #64
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Uh.. what?

Quote:

Old 04-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #65
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I have had more than one round of frustration with the play of the Mavs, RC, and the MBT. But as the season has progressed, I have found myself looking around the league and seeing other teams experiencing similar inconsistencies like we see with the Mavs. I just believe this is a bizarre year with COVID and the condensed schedule. Bottom line, FWIW, I don't think there are many take away messages from this season. I have some strong opinions, but I can also see the logic in what RC and the MBT have tried to do this year. Much of it did not work as we had anticipated (JRich, for example). But I also remember at the beginning of the season being excited that the Mavs could make a deep run in the playoffs. In other words, the moves the MBT made looked good on paper. I have no idea what the MBT was or was not trying to do at the trade deadline, so, for now, I have decided to be patient. Do we have any other choice? I am tired of being in, what feels like, a state of constant outrage. My biggest concern is keeping Luka happy and a Mav for his entire career.

Last edited by purplefrog; 04-14-2021 at 05:21 PM.
purplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #66
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
I have had more than one round of frustration with the play of the Mavs, RC, and the MBT. But as the season has progressed, I have found myself looking around the league and seeing other teams experiencing similar inconsistencies like we see with the Mavs. I just believe this is a bizarre year with COVID and the condensed schedule. Bottom line, FWIW, I don't think there are many take away messages from this season.
Yeah I agree

Making grand decisions based on last year or this year is hard to justify. Look at Atlanta - pundits were saying they won the offseason. Then the season started rough for them and those additions weren't carrying their weight
Old 04-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #67
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Yeah I agree

Making grand decisions based on last year or this year is hard to justify. Look at Atlanta - pundits were saying they won the offseason. Then the season started rough for them and those additions weren't carrying their weight
ATL was decimated by injuries early in the season to their off season pickups

They have really played well since that roster has been in full after and after the coaching change.

I'd say they are right there where most experts predicted them to be now
Old 04-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #68
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
Uh.. what?
Do you disagree that the Mavs had more hype than Phoenix coming into this season?

Most experts predicted the Mavs to be a better team than Phoenix and the ceiling was higher.

In other words the Mavs had more hype than the Suns in terms of competing this year.

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-14-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:28 PM   #69
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Do you disagree that the Mavs had more hype than Phoenix coming into this season?

Most experts predicted the Mavs to be a better team than Phoenix and the ceiling was higher.

In other words the Mavs had more hype than the Suns in terms of competing this year.
What does that have to do with my question about your quotes? You were clearly talking about Phoenix building a more talented roster than Dallas "in the same amount of time" - but then Bryan_Wilson gave a very good counter argument - and then you claim that you were talking about this season. They didn't build that roster this season.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:23 PM   #70
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Portlands next 18 games all but 4 are top 8 seeds in the East/West.

Mavericks next 18 all but 4 are outside the top 8 seeds in the East/West.

Mavs are 1 game back of Portland.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:36 PM   #71
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Portlands next 18 games all but 4 are top 8 seeds in the East/West.

Mavericks next 18 all but 4 are outside the top 8 seeds in the East/West.

Mavs are 1 game back of Portland.
Technically two games back because the Blazers own the tie breaker
Old 04-14-2021, 11:40 PM   #72
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
What does that have to do with my question about your quotes? You were clearly talking about Phoenix building a more talented roster than Dallas "in the same amount of time" - but then Bryan_Wilson gave a very good counter argument - and then you claim that you were talking about this season. They didn't build that roster this season.
They still have a better roster and better team doesn't matter if you want to say they were building it 3 years ago or 1 year ago and the end of the day they have a better roster around Ayton and Booker .

This is Luka 3rd year and right now Phoenix is looking like they are setup for the long haul while the Mavs are looking like they are treading water unless some magical big time FA lands here in the summer.

I just know after the playoffs last year the Mavs were being billed as top 4 not the Suns.

They had more hype than Phoenix

We can agree to disagree helluva job by the Suns front office

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-14-2021 at 11:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #73
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

The Suns are at the top of the western conference because the Suns put a bonafide starter talent in Chris Paul with Booker. They also cut the chaff, Oubre, and added Crowder. Mix of drafting obviously but the real jump in standings happened after adding Chris Paul.

Talent trumps all.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #74
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Mavs have played 54 games and 18 games remain

Standings
1) Jazz - 10.5 games behind the Jazz for 1st
2) Suns - 9 games behind the Suns for 2nd
3) Clippers - 7.5 games behind the Lakers for 4th
4) Nuggets - 4.5 games behind the Nuggets for 5th
5) Lakers - 3.5 games behind the Lakers for 3rd
6) Blazers - 1 game behind the Blazers for 5th
7) Mavs
8) Grizzlies - 2.5 games behind the Mavs for 7th
------------------
9) Spurs - 3.5 games behind us
10) Warriors - 3.5 games behind us

--------------------------------------
The difficulty of remaining schedule
=====================
2 - Spurs - 2nd hardest schedule (.572)
3 - Blazers - 3rd hardest schedule (.551)
4 - Suns - 4th hardest schedule (.546)
7 - Lakers - 7th hardest schedule (.530)
17 - Denver - 17th hardest schedule (.488)
21 - Memphis - 21st hardest schedule (.484)
23 - Warriors - 23rd hardest schedule (.466)
26 - Clippers - 26th hardest schedule (.475)
29 - Jazz - 29th hardest schedule (.451)
30 - Mavs - Mavs have the easiest schedule (.441)
Old 04-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #75
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
The Suns are at the top of the western conference because the Suns put a bonafide starter talent in Chris Paul with Booker. They also cut the chaff, Oubre, and added Crowder. Mix of drafting obviously but the real jump in standings happened after adding Chris Paul.

Talent trumps all.
I can agree with this

which is why I don't understand why the Mavs are so hell bent on system guys as opposed to just talented guys
Old 04-16-2021, 11:28 PM   #76
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I think I underrated the Lakers supporting cast

They have actually surprised me without AD & LeBron.

Didn't think would be able to hold up but they've faired pretty well
That is a good point. Every fanbase tends to fall in love with their supporting cast. Example - almost everybody I know would freak out if we included Brunson as part of deal for an actual #2 or 3 piece around Luka. Our supporting cast is below average NBA supporting cast.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:29 PM   #77
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post

Talent trumps all.
Ok so that means we are screwed. Do we see a Chris Paul type player adding an infusion of talent this upcoming offseason?
Old 04-17-2021, 12:27 AM   #78
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
That is a good point. Every fanbase tends to fall in love with their supporting cast. Example - almost everybody I know would freak out if we included Brunson as part of deal for an actual #2 or 3 piece around Luka. Our supporting cast is below average NBA supporting cast.
I read a article where they said the Mavs turned down trade offers for Brunson.

It stated they view him close to untouchable.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #79
Zeus

Quote:
They still have a better roster and better team doesn't matter if you want to say they were building it 3 years ago or 1 year ago and the end of the day they have a better roster around Ayton and Booker .

This is Luka 3rd year and right now Phoenix is looking like they are setup for the long haul while the Mavs are looking like they are treading water unless some magical big time FA lands here in the summer.

I just know after the playoffs last year the Mavs were being billed as top 4 not the Suns.

They had more hype than Phoenix

We can agree to disagree helluva job by the Suns front office
Yes Dallas41 - you are correct. You are applying a Bayesian approach to your thinking. What happened why and when 5 years ago is irrelevant to what the Mavs need to do to get better. We still cant seem to figure out when we do have dry powder or the ability to generate dry powder (shed assets), why the big name, big talent free agents dont seem to want to come here. Bottom line: We were looked at by almost all "experts and fans alike" to be ahead of Phoenix coming into the season. Now that we have new data it is clear we are not. We all knew Phoenix had lots of lotter picks over the past 10 years but now we are using that as the reason. Bottom line #2) It doesn't matter what's the F'n reason or that things happened 5 years ago - if this FO doesn't figure it out over the next 3 years then they don't deserve to keep Luka.

Last edited by Zeus; 04-17-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #80
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Yes Dallas41 - you are correct. You are applying a Bayesian approach to your thinking. What happened why and when 5 years ago is irrelevant to what the Mavs need to do to get better. We still cant seem to figure out when we do have dry powder or the ability to generate dry powder (shed assets), why the big name, big talent free agents dont seem to want to come here. Bottom line: We were looked at by almost all "experts and fans alike" to be ahead of Phoenix coming into the season. Now that we have new data it is clear we are not. We all knew Phoenix had lots of lotter picks over the past 10 years but now we are using that as the reason. Bottom line #2) It doesn't matter what's the F'n reason or that things happened 5 years ago - if this FO doesn't figure it out over the next 3 years then they don't deserve to keep Luka.
The problem is....

Ayton came to Phoenix in the same draft as Luka

That's why I said Ayton and Booker.....

I'm comparing the roster building since Ayton and Booker teamed up. The Suns were better at building the roster around those two and it's not even close.

Their draft decisions were smarter and then they ignored a specific time line unlike the Mavs and went after a quality skilled veteran player to help win now (Paul) regardless if he wouldn't be around when Ayton/Booker hit their prime.

Mavs are so hell bent on specific types of players that a move like that would immediately get shot down by the organization because the specific players they need or want have to fit the Luka time line or either Rick's precious system.

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-17-2021 at 05:21 PM.