Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What seed do the Mavs finish the season with?
Homecourt (1-4) 0 0%
5th seed 3 17.65%
6th seed 8 47.06%
7th seed 5 29.41%
8th seed 0 0%
Lottery 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2021, 07:15 PM   #81
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
The problem is....

Ayton came to Phoenix in the same draft as Luka

That's why I said Ayton and Booker.....

I'm comparing the roster building since Ayton and Booker teamed up. The Suns were better at building the roster around those two and it's not even close.

Their draft decisions were smarter and then they ignored a specific time line unlike the Mavs and went after a quality skilled veteran player to help win now (Paul) regardless if he wouldn't be around when Ayton/Booker hit their prime.

Mavs are so hell bent on specific types of players that a move like that would immediately get shot down by the organization because the specific players they need or want have to fit the Luka time line or either Rick's precious system.
YES!
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2021, 07:52 PM   #82
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The problem is....

Ayton came to Phoenix in the same draft as Luka

That's why I said Ayton and Booker.....

I'm comparing the roster building since Ayton and Booker teamed up. The Suns were better at building the roster around those two and it's not even close.

Their draft decisions were smarter and then they ignored a specific time line unlike the Mavs and went after a quality skilled veteran player to help win now (Paul) regardless if he wouldn't be around when Ayton/Booker hit their prime.

Mavs are so hell bent on specific types of players that a move like that would immediately get shot down by the organization because the specific players they need or want have to fit the Luka time line or either Rick's precious system.
What draft pick have the Suns made since Ayton (clear mistake that the Mavs took advantage of) that has made an impact? I can only think of turning the 6th pick into Saric and Johnson. Not terrible, but it’s the 6th pick. The Mavs had to trade their draft picks for Luka and KP.

Last edited by FreshJive; 04-17-2021 at 07:53 PM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:57 PM   #83
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
What draft pick have the Suns made since Ayton (clear mistake that the Mavs took advantage of) that has made an impact? I can only think of turning the 6th pick into Saric and Johnson. Not terrible, but it’s the 6th pick. The Mavs had to trade their draft picks for Luka and KP.
They not only flipped that pick into a solid rotation player but they also flipped Zhaire Smith into Mikal Bridges doing 2018 draft

And guess what the Mavs could have had a two way wing with size just like Bridges this past draft in Bey.

But their scouting department blew it and they blew it big time...
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:25 AM   #84
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They not only flipped that pick into a solid rotation player but they also flipped Zhaire Smith into Mikal Bridges doing 2018 draft

And guess what the Mavs could have had a two way wing with size just like Bridges this past draft in Bey.

But their scouting department blew it and they blew it big time...
"Since Ayton". You move all the goal posts, and give all the charity to everyone else but the Mavs. KP is your favorite player, but you don't acknowledge what the Mavs had to give up to get him. Chris Paul and Julius Randle no longer became options at that point. Who knew that Julius Randle would become a more efficient 3 point shooter than KP at the time?

Last edited by FreshJive; 04-18-2021 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #85
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Seems strange to give Phoenix credit for the Paul trade while ignoring the Porzingis trade. I'd say those are roughly comparable in terms of what assets were used (though Dallas had to give 2 first round picks, making any other trades much more difficult) as well as expected quality of talent at the times the trades were made.

Also strange to not acknowledge that Phoenix has had 3 times as many first round picks (and higher, as well) as Dallas since the Ayton/Luka picks.

So far it looks like Dallas may have missed with the single first round pick they've had since Luka - but when they made the pick, almost everyone here was happy with Green.

At least we know that Dallas41 would have made the same mistake he's criticizing the Mavs for making.
Quote:
Yes

I love the pick of Green

It was him or Bane that I was hoping for.

Finally a wing with some size who can play D.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
You do know that Bey is 2 inches taller, right?
Yes I know but Green is more agile and athletic able to recover defensively.

Hey look I know it's not a sexy pick and to be fair I watched more of Green than Bey since I live in AZ.

But dude is really good player and I think Mavs fans are going to love his energy and defense.

Last edited by Some Guy; 04-18-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Some Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #86
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
Seems strange to give Phoenix credit for the Paul trade while ignoring the Porzingis trade. I'd say those are roughly comparable in terms of what assets were used (though Dallas had to give 2 first round picks, making any other trades much more difficult) as well as expected quality of talent at the times the trades were made.

Also strange to not acknowledge that Phoenix has had 3 times as many first round picks (and higher, as well) as Dallas since the Ayton/Luka picks.

So far it looks like Dallas may have missed with the single first round pick they've had since Luka - but when they made the pick, almost everyone here was happy with Green.

At least we know that Dallas41 would have made the same mistake he's criticizing the Mavs for making.
The problem with that is I'm not a scout being paid to evaluate players but I did describe the type of player Green is accurately right?

And if you notice I even stated I didn't see Bey as much in college compared to Green because I live in Arizona and Green was on TV out here often.

But I referenced his defense not offense as being a strength.

The Mavs have actual scouts so they would have more knowledge of Green, Bey and Bane

I think it's safe to say I used bias support for Green with him being a local prospect.

Not sure what criteria the Mavs paid scouts used to determine or project he was the better player than Bey.

That's as honest of an answer as I can give for liking Green.

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-18-2021 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:54 PM   #87
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Ok so if I am understanding this correctly: if the Mavs fail to get any better around Luka it's not the FO fault because X+Y+Z + the Square root of 2Yx10 < The Suns

There is just nothing that the FO can do when the math is so stacked against the Mavs is what I am understanding.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #88
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The problem with that is I'm not a scout being paid to evaluate players but I did describe the type of player Green is accurately right?

And if notice I even stated I didn't see Bey as much in college compared to Green because I live in Arizona and Green was on TV out here often.

But I referenced his defense not offense as being a strength.

The Mavs have actual scouts so they would have more knowledge of Green, Bey and Bane

I think it's safe to say I used bias support for Green with him being a local prospect.

Not sure what criteria the Mavs paid scouts used to determine or project he was the better player than Bey.

That's as honest of an answer as I can give for liking Green.
This last off-season I think the Mavs were focused solely on addressing the defensive issues from the previous season...especially wing D. They drafted 2 defensive oriented wings, traded for one and signed another.

The strange thing is we are basically the same team now after the trades considering Reddick basically replaces Curry and JRich replaces Wright. The rookies are virtually unplayable so I don't see much difference this season than last.

At least we should hopefully have Brunson, KP and WCS going into this year's POs.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-18-2021 at 04:10 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #89
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
Ok so if I am understanding this correctly: if the Mavs fail to get any better around Luka it's not the FO fault because X+Y+Z + the Square root of 2Yx10 < The Suns

There is just nothing that the FO can do when the math is so stacked against the Mavs is what I am understanding.
What a nonsensically exaggerated response. Nobody said anything like that.
I do object to using the Suns as a comparison to say that the Mavs FO has failed. That's just a horrible comparison, totally disconnected from reality.

The Suns have:
Missed the playoffs for the last 10 seasons.
In Booker's first year, they won 23 games.
In Booker's second year, they won 24 games.
In Booker's third year, they won 21 games.
In Booker's fourth year, they won 19 games.
In Booker's fifth year, they won 34 games (.466% of shortened season)
In Booker's sixth season, they will finally finish above .500 and make the playoffs!

In Luka's first season, Dallas won 33 games.
In Luka's second season, Dallas won 43 games (.573 in shortened season) and made the playoffs
In Luka's third season, Dallas has already won 30 games (.545%) and are on pace for the playoffs again. The season isn't over, and they have already won more games than the Suns did in each of Booker's first 4 years. But this is a failure, and the Suns FO is superior?

Since the last playoff season for the Suns (2009-2010), they have had 16 first round picks, including 6 top ten picks.
Dallas only missed the playoffs for 3 years before getting back in last year. And since that last playoff season (2015-2016) they have made 3 first round picks, including 2 top 10 (one of which, Dennis Smith, was used to get Porzingis).

In Luka's first season Dallas traded most of their useful trade assets to get Porzingis - a young recent all-star to be a foundation piece next to Luka - but far from a final piece.
Going into Booker's 6th season the Suns traded some of their assets to get an older all-star who filled a need and was the 'final piece' for them.
Dallas did not wait 5 season before taking a big swing - yet that is somehow counted as a win for the Suns?

The Suns have had 10 crappy non-playoff seasons to acquire talent and trade assets - of course they should have a better team than Dallas after only 4 seasons. Of course they are more able to make meaningful trades than Dallas at this point.

Trying to make a comparison where you have to ignore all of the relevant details is just nonsensical, and makes me think you guys don't really believe what you are saying and only want to get a reaction.

Compare where Dallas is now to where the Suns were 3 years ago, or wait a few more years to compare Dallas to where the Suns are now. But otherwise this is an unfair and illogical comparison.
If Dallas is still fighting for 7th/8th place in 3 years, then I will agree that they have failed.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #90
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
What a nonsensically exaggerated response. Nobody said anything like that.
I do object to using the Suns as a comparison to say that the Mavs FO has failed. That's just a horrible comparison, totally disconnected from reality.

The Suns have:
Missed the playoffs for the last 10 seasons.
In Booker's first year, they won 23 games.
In Booker's second year, they won 24 games.
In Booker's third year, they won 21 games.
In Booker's fourth year, they won 19 games.
In Booker's fifth year, they won 34 games (.466% of shortened season)
In Booker's sixth season, they will finally finish above .500 and make the playoffs!

In Luka's first season, Dallas won 33 games.
In Luka's second season, Dallas won 43 games (.573 in shortened season) and made the playoffs
In Luka's third season, Dallas has already won 30 games (.545%) and are on pace for the playoffs again. The season isn't over, and they have already won more games than the Suns did in each of Booker's first 4 years. But this is a failure, and the Suns FO is superior?

Since the last playoff season for the Suns (2009-2010), they have had 16 first round picks, including 6 top ten picks.
Dallas only missed the playoffs for 3 years before getting back in last year. And since that last playoff season (2015-2016) they have made 3 first round picks, including 2 top 10 (one of which, Dennis Smith, was used to get Porzingis).

In Luka's first season Dallas traded most of their useful trade assets to get Porzingis - a young recent all-star to be a foundation piece next to Luka - but far from a final piece.
Going into Booker's 6th season the Suns traded some of their assets to get an older all-star who filled a need and was the 'final piece' for them.
Dallas did not wait 5 season before taking a big swing - yet that is somehow counted as a win for the Suns?

The Suns have had 10 crappy non-playoff seasons to acquire talent and trade assets - of course they should have a better team than Dallas after only 4 seasons. Of course they are more able to make meaningful trades than Dallas at this point.

Trying to make a comparison where you have to ignore all of the relevant details is just nonsensical, and makes me think you guys don't really believe what you are saying and only want to get a reaction.

Compare where Dallas is now to where the Suns were 3 years ago, or wait a few more years to compare Dallas to where the Suns are now. But otherwise this is an unfair and illogical comparison.
If Dallas is still fighting for 7th/8th place in 3 years, then I will agree that they have failed.
100%
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:01 PM   #91
Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
100%
Did the experts (Basketball writers, Vegas et al) predict Dallas to be better than Phoenix this year at the outset of the season? Yes. What has gone wrong? Covid probably cost them about 3 to 4 wins but the bottom line is the team around Luka is a bunch of replacement level players plus a potential #3 or 4 on a real contender. How do we get a true 2 to team with Luka?

Perhaps we all overestimated the talent around Luka. If the KP trade ends up to be a failure the Luka era may be doomed before it starts.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:03 PM   #92
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Bottom line is this team needs to be blown the fuck up....

Fuck Phoenix and anyone else this team Dallas needs to be blown the fuck up because the roster is terrible plain and simple.

I don't care if they don't have draft picks they have still wasted a few off seasons picking up no talent at all.

You replaced a guy like Delon Wright only to end up with a guy like J.Richardson that is just terrible talent evaluation by your front office two years straight.

You spent a 2nd round pick to acquire a guy Redick who's as bad as it gets defensively and despite him hitting a 1-2 three's when he plays he can't stop anyone on the other end of the floor.

So why did you give up a 2nd round pick for a guy who doesn't help your roster?

Isn't those types of decisions factored into team building?

Or do the Mavs get a fuckin pass because they haven't had a decade to rebuild properly

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-18-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #93
Zeus

Quote:
Bottom line is this team needs to be blown the fuck up....

Fuck Phoenix and anyone else this team Dallas needs to be blown the fuck up because the roster is terrible plain and simple.

I don't care if they don't have draft picks they have still wasted a few off seasons picking up no talent at all.

You replaced a guy like Delon Wright only to end up with a guy like J.Richardson that is just terrible talent evaluation by your front office two years straight.

You spent a 2nd round pick to acquire a guy Redick who's as bad as it gets defensively and despite him hitting a 1-2 three's when he plays he can't stop anyone on the other end of the floor.

So why did you give up a 2nd round pick for a guy who doesn't help your roster?

Isn't those types of decisions factored into team building?

Or do the Mavs get a fuckin pass because they haven't had a decade to rebuild properly
100% Again you give it the proper Bayesian analysis approach. I am starting to believe it is true that the Mavs organization has a force field around them against critical evaluations of their performance. The Josh Richardson trade is a failure. The Josh Green pick is yet to be determined but we have appeared to select a good athlete with no discernable basketball skills. KP is fragile and if he is a #2, he is a bottom echelon 2 which makes him no better than about the 60th best player in the league. The FO has assembled a team that is likely worse than the team we had last year. I must say it would also help if Luka was a good foul shooter. Splitting his attempt in close games isn't helping either.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #94
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
100% Again you give it the proper Bayesian analysis approach. I am starting to believe it is true that the Mavs organization has a force field around them against critical evaluations of their performance. The Josh Richardson trade is a failure. The Josh Green pick is yet to be determined but we have appeared to select a good athlete with no discernable basketball skills. KP is fragile and if he is a #2, he is a bottom echelon 2 which makes him no better than about the 60th best player in the league. The FO has assembled a team that is likely worse than the team we had last year. I must say it would also help if Luka was a good foul shooter. Splitting his attempt in close games isn't helping either.
The sad part is Portland is practically trying to give the Mavs the 6th seed and guess what this team is so bad they can't even take advantage of it

losing to freaking Houston and Sacramento after each one of them had 9+ game losing streaks coming in.

I'm just fed up with this damn organization trying to pump up the roster like Cuban and Donnie does only to watch the same crap happen over and over again.

The Mavs seem to be the only franchise in the NBA handcuffed when it comes to upgrading the damn roster around a super Star.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #95
FreshJive
Diamond Member

I consider the drafting of Luka and Brunson and trading Dennis fake sick Smith Jr for Porzingis upgrading the roster. Not sure what Bayes thinks about it.

I also think trading for Richardson was the right move at the time, and we don’t know how this year’s draft picks will turn out yet, but if they miss on a late first and a couple of seconds, then so what?

Not getting anything out of all that cap space while waiting on Danny Green was a complete failure. That mistake will continue to leave a mark for awhile.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:00 PM   #96
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Not getting anything out of all that cap space while waiting on Danny Green was a complete failure. That mistake will continue to leave a mark for awhile.
I completely had forgot about that debacle

I mean what team holds up their FA plans based on Danny Green's decision?

The Mavs that's who

Last edited by Dallas41; 04-18-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:40 PM   #97
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

We are getting a lot closer to Cuban and Luka being thankful that there are play in games.

This roster is not worth any expectations. I wouldn't hate if we replaced Rick because he is not a fiery guy and doesn't motivate these kids. The system we run gives too much free reign for launching 3s. I'm tired of knowing before every game that we die if our 3% is low. We have no identity aside from give the ball to Luka and fvck off, if that doesn't work then jack off a 3. That's a coaching issue. IDC what people say in defense of Rick, we have funky rotations BUT the team just doesn't show up to fight. Rick is a great stabilizing demeanor but these young men might need someone yelling at them on occasion. I think most people agree that he is a better coach for veterans.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:27 PM   #98
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
We are getting a lot closer to Cuban and Luka being thankful that there are play in games.

This roster is not worth any expectations. I wouldn't hate if we replaced Rick because he is not a fiery guy and doesn't motivate these kids. The system we run gives too much free reign for launching 3s. I'm tired of knowing before every game that we die if our 3% is low. We have no identity aside from give the ball to Luka and fvck off, if that doesn't work then jack off a 3. That's a coaching issue. IDC what people say in defense of Rick, we have funky rotations BUT the team just doesn't show up to fight. Rick is a great stabilizing demeanor but these young men might need someone yelling at them on occasion. I think most people agree that he is a better coach for veterans.
How can a team at this stage of the season not play with energy with a playoff birth on the line?

They said lack of energy/effort was the problem like two months when they struggled and now here we are back to the lack of energy excuse

The Mavericks certainly aren't performing like a team that deserves to avoid the play-in tournament that Luka Doncic and Mark Cuban publicly grumbled about last week. Dallas has blown a golden opportunity to move up the West standings with the Trail Blazers struggling, but the Mavs have matched Portland's 2-5 slump. Doncic cited energy as the Mavs' primary issue, not that he has a solution. "I don't know, but all I know is it's got to start with me," Doncic said Sunday after the Kings snapped a nine-game losing streak at the Mavs' expense. -- MacMahon
Old 04-19-2021, 07:48 PM   #99
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How can a team at this stage of the season not play with energy with a playoff birth on the line?

They said lack of energy/effort was the problem like two months when they struggled and now here we are back to the lack of energy excuse

The Mavericks certainly aren't performing like a team that deserves to avoid the play-in tournament that Luka Doncic and Mark Cuban publicly grumbled about last week. Dallas has blown a golden opportunity to move up the West standings with the Trail Blazers struggling, but the Mavs have matched Portland's 2-5 slump. Doncic cited energy as the Mavs' primary issue, not that he has a solution. "I don't know, but all I know is it's got to start with me," Doncic said Sunday after the Kings snapped a nine-game losing streak at the Mavs' expense. -- MacMahon
MBT tried but it wasn't good enough.

KP isn't near what we hoped he would be and we are locked into the roller coaster with him with massive money and not a great fit.

Rick isn't getting the guys ready to compete at their best. He keeps on admitting that it's on him to get them ready but his efforts, whatever they might be behind the scenes, are not paying off. It's clear to me that while this roster is no contender, Rick is NOT getting the most of them. Who can? Jamahl Mosley? John Mosley? Pablo Laso? Idk maybe. Is Rick hungry like some other guys would be?

We have issues on and off the court. On the court we need a versitile 2-way big as well as another starting caliber 2-way guard/wing. Off the court we need better roster moves and a clear vision of what direction we are going. Acquiring role playing "specialists" or budget guys is wasting time. That's something you piece together once you have a reliable core.

Last edited by SMC0007; 04-19-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:13 PM   #100
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs are bad. It sucks. Get over it.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #101
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Mavs are bad. It sucks. Get over it.
LOL

I mean your kind of right they are bad.

But some fans still want to see them perform and hopefully succeed.

I'm a die hard Cowboys fan to and yes they have sucked or been average just like the Mavs but if it was that easy to just get over it then most of us wouldn't be fans right?
Old 04-20-2021, 04:50 AM   #102
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LOL

I'm a die hard Cowboys fan to and yes they have sucked or been average just like the Mavs but if it was that easy to just get over it then most of us wouldn't be fans right?
Mavs kinda remind me of Cowboys....division is easily theirs if they want it but for some reason they don’t appear to play like they want it.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #103
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
LOL

I dont live in Dallas, but man, it has to be tough being a Cowboys or Texans fan.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #104
washedklean77

washedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Mavs kinda remind me of Cowboys....division is easily theirs if they want it but for some reason they don’t appear to play like they want it.
And Carlisle is starting to look a lot like Jason Garrett. Well, he may have looked like that for quite some time now but we've all been blinded by our infatuation with Luka.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #105
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

I've had these concerns about RC for years. It's nice to see people waking up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:53 PM   #106
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I've had these concerns about RC for years. It's nice to see people waking up.

I bet you not a single fan on here thought the Hawks and Knicks would have a better record than the Mavs at this stage of the season.

I had to double check to make sure I was seeing that right and yes those bum franchises have surpassed the Mavs this year.

I said a few months ago that Dallas wasn't consistent enough to match a 8 or 9 game winning steak like the Hawks and that has proven to be true.

Hell even the Knicks have run off 7 straight games a feat that Dallas even when healthy still hasn't accomplished.

I mean how the hell are the Knicks capable of being that consistent for such a long stretch....

I think Coaching does play a vital role in that consistent effort by both teams.

I'm sure some fan will come tell us RC is working with hot garbage on his roster compared to the Knicks LOL

You could even make argument that Golden St and Memphis could very well be better than the Mavs to considering both teams have been without key starters here down the stretch.

Portland lost again and the Mavs have yet another opportunity to close the gap but you just know this team much like the Cowboys are going to break fans hearts at some point
Old 04-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #107
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Blazers and Grizzlies play each other three times in the next week or so.

Every Grizzlies loss helps us not drop to 8th.
Every Blazers loss helps us move up to 6th (or Grizz pass us and we pass Blazers to stay at 7)

We win no matter what.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-22-2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #108
Zeus

Quote:

Blazers and Grizzlies play each other three times in the next week or so.

Every Grizzlies loss helps us not drop to 8th.
Every Blazers loss helps us move up to 6th (or Grizz pass us and we pass Blazers to stay at 7)

We win no matter what.
I think we win more if the Grizz win each game they play the Blazers. 7 or 8 doesn't make much of a difference since they will play each other. 6 is a huge difference.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #109
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

blabla the FO sucks blabla mimimi Rick sucks fire him blabla their moves sucked blabla mimimimi but the Sunssssss blablabla mimimimi

Did i miss something?
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #110
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
blabla the FO sucks blabla mimimi Rick sucks fire him blabla their moves sucked blabla mimimimi but the Sunssssss blablabla mimimimi

Did i miss something?
Cuban gets a pass? :-/

turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:27 PM   #111
Zeus

Quote:

Did i miss something?
Sorry - The FO is brilliant and this is the most talented team in the world. Is that better?
Old 04-23-2021, 08:22 AM   #112
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #113
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Mavs against teams over .500 - 21-14 - 0.600
Mavs against teams under .500 - 11-12 - 0.478

Insane that we’re rather good again against good teams and sub-500 against bad teams

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-23-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #114
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Mavs against teams over .500 - 21-14 - 0.600
Mavs against teams under .500 - 11-12 - 0.478

Insane that we’re rather good again at good teams and sub-500 against bad teams
This team is so weird. I'm pretty sure we were doing this going back a few years when we did have fans at games.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #115
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
This team is so weird. I'm pretty sure we were doing this going back a few years when we did have fans at games.
I think there's at least some reason to be optimistic. If we only played good teams, we'd be 5th in the West.

Then again, we have the second easiest schedule to finish the season. We may lose a lot of games against bad teams.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:51 AM   #116
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Did i miss something?
this is worse than the posters that complain about Rick
Old 04-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #117
Melonhead
Guru

I optimistically have the Mavs finishing the last 14 games at 9-5...

I think thats enough to take hold of the 6, and very close to getting the 5. Saturday will be a huge factor in that being possible. IIRC, Mavs would have the tie breaker over LA if they win.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #118
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
I think there's at least some reason to be optimistic. If we only played good teams, we'd be 5th in the West.

Then again, we have the second easiest schedule to finish the season. We may lose a lot of games against bad teams.
Upside-down land. There's probably optimism that we are going to be playing "away" PO games if we make it. So there's that.

I'm not expecting this team to win or threaten to win a series against anyone. I just want to see playoff level fight and grit.

Old 04-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #119
Zeus

At the risk of overstating the obvious, if the Mavs beat the Lakers Saturday night they will have the tie breaker, and have a better than 50-50 chance of getting the 5 seed should the teams stay on their respective paths. I think there is a 75% chance that we overtake Portland.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #120
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
At the risk of overstating the obvious, if the Mavs beat the Lakers Saturday night they will have the tie breaker, and have a better than 50-50 chance of getting the 5 seed should the teams stay on their respective paths. I think there is a 75% chance that we overtake Portland.
Gotta look at the top four too.

Nuggets are probably stuck at 4, but I could see the Jazz dropping to 3rd. Clippers or Suns will probably end up 1/2.