Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #41
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
This is what bothers me

He's looked out shape most of the year.

I get it he thought the season was going to start a little later but I'm concerned with Luka having that attitude every off season that he can just show up and pay himself into shape.

I know he's not Dirk or LeBron but hopefully he realizes it's time to take his craft seriously even doing the off season.

Lot's of fans gave him a pass this year
What bothers me is that Luka has carried this team for three years straight, and dealt with crazy Covid schedules for two of them, and “fans” like yourself complain. Maybe he could use some help from the guy getting paid all the money.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2021, 10:08 PM   #42
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

BTW I still hate having powell patrol the middle of our defense surrounded by other weak perimeter defenders on the floor with him

That is always a recipe for disaster especially come playoff time
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:52 PM   #43
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
This is what bothers me

He's looked out shape most of the year.

I get it he thought the season was going to start a little later but I'm concerned with Luka having that attitude every off season that he can just show up and pay himself into shape.

I know he's not Dirk or LeBron but hopefully he realizes it's time to take his craft seriously even doing the off season.

Lot's of fans gave him a pass this year
this team in general seems to be getting a pass despite all the warning signs throughout the season which is really puzzling. I guess people just choose to ignore them. Or blame it on covid, the schedule, the refs etc.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:50 PM   #44
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
this team in general seems to be getting a pass despite all the warning signs throughout the season which is really puzzling. I guess people just choose to ignore them. Or blame it on covid, the schedule, the refs etc.
well I've said all year this team never seems to have certain guys all playing well at the same time.

Sometimes you'll get DFS and Kleber playing well but then THJ and J.Rich will go missing in action or it'll be THJ/J.Rich playing well and then DFS/Kleber will struggle

Luka hasn't looked right in the past 2-3 games but maybe he's just coasting I don't know....

His 3-PT shot has taken a dump recently along with DFS & Kleber.

Redick has looked like a bad mid season trade might as well have held onto that 2nd round pick with the lack of production and injury concerns with him

Paint defense when ever WCS leaves the floor looks like trash...

if they expect to win a 1st round series they are going to need several guys all playing well on a consistent basis.

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-11-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:58 PM   #45
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by washedklean77 View Post
Two words for this night: Go. Knicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The effort and energy by both teams this game is incredible

You can tell this was a big game....

Not sure the Mavs knew tonight's game was big LOL
Old 05-12-2021, 05:02 AM   #46
Unicorn

Unicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really niceUnicorn is just really nice

we need KP to play tonight
Old 05-12-2021, 08:55 AM   #47
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Both things are true: Luka has carried us and given us hope, and if he ever really wants to be the undisputed face of the league and a champion he’s going to need to work on his diet and body. I hope he reaches out to Lebron this off-season AND stays in the U.S.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:26 AM   #48
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Luka is just naturally a thick fella. But he needs to improve his cardio and weight train... he would really benefit from plyometric training. He's great at stop and go but he isnt explosive whatsoever.

If he is seriously wanting to win a chip, he needs to be working all summer. There isn't really time to chill out. That's not how you take the next steps to greatness.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 05-12-2021 at 09:26 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #49
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think Luka will always look doughy-- like Jokic and others and I have no problem with that.

The issue is that Denver and Memphis have surrounded their doughy guys with super athletic and long players. Josh Green is the closest we have to that.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #50
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think Luka will always look doughy-- like Jokic and others and I have no problem with that.

The issue is that Denver and Memphis have surrounded their doughy guys with super athletic and long players. Josh Green is the closest we have to that.
Why was Green not rewarded with his recent play last night? He doesn't come in until the game was out of hand. Yet we roll Melli and JJ out there early.

Last edited by SMC0007; 05-12-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #51
SMC0007
Guru

Someone who has a winning GDT record needs to make the thread for tonight. I've busted out each winning streak with a terrible loss to a shit team.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #52
Dirk41legend

Dirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really niceDirk41legend is just really nice

Quote:

Luka has been out of shape all season. Go back and watch the highlights of the Clippers series last season. That Luka was getting past elite defenders with ease and just looked so much quicker. Feels like Luka barely blows by anyone anymore.
Dirk41legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #53
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just that Doncic came into the season out of shape, it's that he appears be putting on weight as the season progresses. The back issues are very likely related to carrying too much weight, and could lead to a shortened career if he doesn't get it under control.

Jokic was a pig last year, but came back noticeably leaner; not muscular yet, but leaner.

If only Doncic could get advice from some MVP-level player like...oh..say..Steve Nash, who elevated his level of play and extended his career (after leaving the Mavericks, unfortunately) by dedicating himself to conditioning.

Or current teammate Redick, who had to transform his non-elite physique into an NBA-decent body, and has a 15-year career to show for it.

And Dirk wasn't too much further along in his career when he started the serious conditioning, enough to go for 20 years.

Pretty much any veteran player with any longevity will say that the key to a long career is learning to take care of your body--through nutrition, through conditioning/training, through getting enough rest. You can't just play off 'youth' indefinitely.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 05-12-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #54
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Why was Green not rewarded with his recent play last night? He doesn't come in until the game was out of hand. Yet we roll Melli and JJ out there early.
I agree about Green. I was puzzled by that. Especially since we were relatively low energy. Could’ve used a jolt. Redick couldn’t guard anyone.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:13 PM   #55
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Hopefully this off-season will bring another athlete. Green was a good start. We looked really slow last night against those young legs. Not the game for BoBan and Redick in my opinion.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #56
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I agree about Green. I was puzzled by that. Especially since we were relatively low energy. Could’ve used a jolt. Redick couldn’t guard anyone.
Yep. It never fails. A young guy plays quality mins and then disappears for no reason. I get that Maxi came back but he has been pretty bad for a while. Green at this point gives more on the court IMO.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #57
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think Kleber was a huge part of their defensive chemistry being impacted.

I know he can be a defensive positive, but coming back from his hammy injury, he was slow and lethargic, which allowed the Grizz to get comfortable.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #58
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yep. It never fails. A young guy plays quality mins and then disappears for no reason. I get that Maxi came back but he has been pretty bad for a while. Green at this point gives more on the court IMO.
RC strikes again when you least expect it LOL

Honestly, I think we all should know by now his weirdness

It's pretty obvious Green is a plus defender for this team and brings what few other guys bring which is high energy.

But to expect RC to buy all the way into playing him is wishful thinking...

He might see some action vs the turds we have left on the schedule which is good but come playoff time I'm not holding my breath.

Green fits good with that 2nd unit because they trot out so many other guys who can't rebound or defend off the bench which is why you see teams lately have gone off on offense mid way through the 1st QTR's when RC makes his sub's

The Mavs will hold a team to like 14-16 points and by the time that 2nd unit ends the qtr's they will have 30+ points