Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-17-2021, 01:28 AM   #81
Some Guy

Some Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to allSome Guy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Pissed off unless we make miracles happens.

The good thing about facing the Cliopers is that we have a rematch vs those dirt bags.

You want revenge? It's right there in front of us! I know I do.
I think they can beat the clippers. I think they can also lose in 5. But I don't trust that they will win, and I don't want to see them lose to the clippers again.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2021, 08:01 AM   #82
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
I agree, But it's too late for a drastic change. We are what we are with what we have.
Effort isn't a 'drastic change'. Well, except for this Mavs team, when playing bad opponents.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #83
washedklean77

washedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to all

The team that gives the most effort on both end of the court while being most consistent will win the series. Which makes me think the Mavs will lose because they're entirely too hot and cold.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:07 AM   #84
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Oh look what a bitch and moan thread again about an irrelevant last season game
It may have turned out to be irrelevant, but it wasn't irrelevant during the game. The Mavs just played like it was. Putrid effort from a team that should have been trying to control their own destiny, and lock up the 5th seed. Continues their pattern of putrid effort against bad teams. If the Mavs want to make any noise in the Western Conference, they need to fix that. Could easily have had 5+ more wins this year.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #85
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Then stop following the Mavs if you think this is a pissing competition and we need to beat every bad team to somehow be man enough to take the big dawgs.
Orrr...the Mavs could man up and stop playing like sh*t against terrible teams. If you can beat the big dawgs, why can't you at least try to beat the little ones??

Back in the day, the Lakers had a streak of something like 3 years where they NEVER lost to a sub .500 team. The Mavs seem to lose about every other game to them. They DESERVE to be criticized for that.

Last edited by BigDog63; 05-17-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #86
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
It may have turned out to be irrelevant, but it wasn't irrelevant during the game. The Mavs just played like it was. Putrid effort from a team that should have been trying to control their own destiny, and lock up the 5th seed. Continues their pattern of putrid effort against bad teams. If the Mavs want to make any noise in the Western Conference, they need to fix that. Could easily have had 5+ more wins this year.
I think this is a fair assessment

I'm actually one of those who felt the Mavs had a chance last year. I believe they have a chance this year but only if Paul George goes missing in action

The Bad
Simply put, the LA Clippers are a better basketball team than the Dallas Mavericks. Some fans believe the Mavericks would have beat the Clippers had KP stayed healthy last postseason. I am not among that group. This Mavericks team is not as good as the team we saw in last year’s bubble (editor’s note: SPICY TAKE).

This Clipper team, on the other hand, is a year removed from the chemistry issues that ultimately cost them a chance at a championship. The Clippers have the third best odds to take home the title and with good reason. This regular season was irrelevant for them. The second their season ended at the hands of the Denver Nuggets, the Clippers have been looking forward to this very moment. This postseason is about redemption for them. Expect a hungry and motivated team to show up in the playoffs.

The Ugly
It is impossible to say if the Mavericks were quietly tanking this game in hopes of drawing a first-round matchup against the Nuggets or if they were once again playing down to their competition. It was a terrible performance and erased any possibility the Mavericks are peaking as they head into the playoffs. The week of rest should help but it is going to take more than fresh legs to beat the Clippers four times in seven games.

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-17-2021 at 09:02 AM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #87
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Effort isn't a 'drastic change'. Well, except for this Mavs team, when playing bad opponents.
Effort/Energy this year has been the most inconsistent thing about this team this year.

On paper coming into this season the Mavs were predicted to be much better than the Knicks or Suns for example.

But no one ever questioned the Knicks or Suns effort on a nightly basis.....

Thibs seemed to always have them playing hard regardless of the situation or opponent. Yes they flat out lost some games because of the talent gap but that team played hard every night. That roster somehow played terrific defense with guys like Randall and Barrett who weren't mentioned as defenders coming into this season.

Same thing with Phoenix you could clearly see the effort on almost a nightly basis. That was another team in which no one spoke much of their defense with Ayton and Booker being top players but they gave maximum effort and the results changed this year.

The Mavs might not have the best roster but the effort just appeared to waiver way too often. Guys taking off possessions, qtr's or even full games at times. Offense will come and go but the defense and rebounding issues we saw all year just seemed to be more about getting out worked or lazy effort.

Hopefully with the bad blood this team has with the Clippers from last years playoffs it'll make them play hard and play above their heads. If I see guys coming out flat in a playoff game uninspired or lacking energy in the 1st QTR I expect the local Media to rip into the Mavs harder than ever before.

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-17-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #88
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

One of the questions that the Mavs will need to answer is who will stand up to Morris, Cousins, and Rondo when they start their shenanigans? I am wishing Johnson was still around. I just don't see anyone on the current Mavs roster who will be able/willing to put up much resistance to their physical play (other than Luka). Mavs can win if they play energetic defense and hit their 3-pt shots but I anticipate a physical game with much of it close to the basket. Mavs need to stay close in the rebound battle and score in transition. They can do it, but lots of things will have to go right.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:02 AM   #89
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Effort is huge I agree, but effort is not going to make this team fundamentally sound on defense. It's going to look better and have some effect for sure but if they play hard on D and miss 3's it's still likely an L.

The results of this team is based on their 3pt shooting. I had trouble coping with this for the longest time but after the trade deadline passed it beat me into submission. It is what it is.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:29 AM   #90
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Effort is huge I agree, but effort is not going to make this team fundamentally sound on defense. It's going to look better and have some effect for sure but if they play hard on D and miss 3's it's still likely an L.

The results of this team is based on their 3pt shooting. I had trouble coping with this for the longest time but after the trade deadline passed it beat me into submission. It is what it is.
The thing is that defense is what will keep us in games. Every team has hot and cold streaks, but the thing with our defense is that it can't keep us in games.

I agree, though, it's not about effort and there's no real use whining. It's the roster and the roster isn't changing until at least this offseason so we might as well cheer for the Mavs and see if we can steal some games.

The good news is that we were 2-1 against the Clippers. Our general defense isn't good, but Rick does come up with strategies to slow teams if he has time to prep. It isn't a fluke that we are better than .500 against winning teams on Rick's radar.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #91
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Clippers lost last two games to teams with a 6-67 recort in the past 73 games.

They wanted to dodge a 2nd round Lakers matchup like chickens
How come know one is calling out Denver for basically attempting to do the same thing as the LA Clippers

1. Tanking: it's not just for losers anymore!
The Denver Nuggets pulled their starters at the beginning of the second half of their matchup with the Portland Trail Blazers. They had good reason to. A win would have guaranteed them a first-round date with the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers. Losing, in a perfect world, would have dropped them to No. 4 and off of the Lakers' side of the bracket entirely. Of course, we don't live in a perfect world. Denver's best-laid plans were foiled by the Clippers.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #92
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The thing is that defense is what will keep us in games. Every team has hot and cold streaks, but the thing with our defense is that it can't keep us in games.

I agree, though, it's not about effort and there's no real use whining. It's the roster and the roster isn't changing until at least this offseason so we might as well cheer for the Mavs and see if we can steal some games.

The good news is that we were 2-1 against the Clippers. Our general defense isn't good, but Rick does come up with strategies to slow teams if he has time to prep. It isn't a fluke that we are better than .500 against winning teams on Rick's radar.
Yea, we are good vs good teams. We have a chance for revenge and fwiw we have had success vs the Clips. We are not going to see something drastically different from this group so we will dance with who brought us and god willing our shots are falling. If we are shooting well, it motivates us to defend better and the focus and hustle tightens up.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:06 AM   #93
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
How come know one is calling out Denver for basically attempting to do the same thing as the LA Clippers

1. Tanking: it's not just for losers anymore!
The Denver Nuggets pulled their starters at the beginning of the second half of their matchup with the Portland Trail Blazers. They had good reason to. A win would have guaranteed them a first-round date with the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers. Losing, in a perfect world, would have dropped them to No. 4 and off of the Lakers' side of the bracket entirely. Of course, we don't live in a perfect world. Denver's best-laid plans were foiled by the Clippers.

Because we no longer respect the GD Clippers bubba! You don't really want a list of the reasons why people would call out LA over Denver. They played us dirty in the PO last year, they run their mouths incessantly while doing it. It's a simple as that...or at least it should be. We don't have the history vs Denver yet.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #94
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
One of the questions that the Mavs will need to answer is who will stand up to Morris, Cousins, and Rondo when they start their shenanigans? I am wishing Johnson was still around. I just don't see anyone on the current Mavs roster who will be able/willing to put up much resistance to their physical play (other than Luka). Mavs can win if they play energetic defense and hit their 3-pt shots but I anticipate a physical game with much of it close to the basket. Mavs need to stay close in the rebound battle and score in transition. They can do it, but lots of things will have to go right.

Intelligence is the only answer for Morris, Cousins and Rondo Shenanigans.

The refs are not going to be on our side, so you have to be measured in responses to their actions. The idea is to do everything you can to be first. No free layups or dunks. Don't get suckered into retaliation. I would have 15 minute sessions on this every day of practice to discuss how to avoid getting emotionally lured into techs etc. We don't need any key players over-reacting to rough play.

Last edited by SMC0007; 05-17-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #95
washedklean77

washedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to all

Quote:
Because we no longer respect the GD Clippers bubba! You don't really want a list of the reasons why people would call out LA over Denver. They played us dirty in the PO last year, they run their mouths incessantly while doing it. It's a simple as that...or at least it should be. We don't have the history vs Denver yet.
The Mavs need to bring in Nick Van Exel before each game so he can give them his infamous "F'em" speech.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #96
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by washedklean77 View Post
The Mavs need to bring in Nick Van Exel before each game so he can give them his infamous "F'em" speech.
Thats ideal.

Hopefully Dirk and THS will be in the building

Old 05-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #97
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Iztok Franko@iztok_franko (he is a GREAT follow on twitter)
Re-watching last year's Mavericks-Clippers series. Kind of forgot Mavs played Boban, MKG, and Burke at the same time...and Luka still averaged 31.0 ppg on 50% shooting
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:59 PM   #98
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Re-watching last year's Mavericks-Clippers series. Kind of forgot Mavs played Boban, MKG, and Burke at the same time...and Luka still averaged 31.0 ppg on 50% shooting
Frank is gold.

It was painful last year. MKG is now out of the league and yet was playing big minutes for us, as Rick just looked for someone to contribute.

Really hoping with a week of rest, we can get a fully healthy roster and can stay healthy. Hoping for some better contributions from guys like DFS too.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:31 PM   #99
D_D_D

D_D_D is just really niceD_D_D is just really niceD_D_D is just really niceD_D_D is just really niceD_D_D is just really niceD_D_D is just really nice

Quote:

Really hoping with a week of rest, we can get a fully healthy roster and can stay healthy. Hoping for some better contributions from guys like DFS too.
Yeah this week of rest is big for us! If we can maintain a healthy roster, I believe we could make this a close series... Having KP out for most of series last year was a killer!

Although one thing I worry about... I don't think we played clips with boogie. And he always seems to have BIG games against us. Obviously defense will be absolutely paramount. Hopefully Rick can get us playing great team D, maybe mixing it up here and there with a zone and throwing them different looks. And hopefully our effort is there from start to finish. First quarters will be extremely important for us. I hope Rick stresses that ad nauseum.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:39 PM   #100
D_D_D

D_D_D is just really niceD_D_D is just really niceD_D_D is just really niceD_D_D is just really niceD_D_D is just really niceD_D_D is just really nice

Also... I really hope Luka can get his scoring back up.. I'm not TOO worried cuz he was great offensively against them last year in PO. But in the last two weeks from today, he scored over 24 once (33 pts) and he has had games with total pts of 12, 15, 18, 20. So hopefully he's not in too much of a slump!!

Like I said tho, not too worried, I believe Luka is one of those players who will always turn it up and excel in the postseason! Just wanted to add this tho.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #101
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
We didn’t have KP, Brunson, WCS and Powell for all of the games last year so I’m going to stay positive.
And let’s not forget that we slaughtered this team by 50 pts earlier in the year.

Should be a good series imo.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:02 PM   #102
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

This isn't going to be a popular post, but I think we lose in 5 games. We will beat them handedly in 1 game, choke 1 away, maybe 2, and then get beat solidly if not spectacularly in the remaining losses.

The lane will be a wide open highway as Powell hops around with great effort to no effect. Offensively, we will be chucking 3s cuz analytics until iso Luka gets to work in the last 4 minutes or so. Basically, we end the season looking not much different than last year but with Luka 1 year older.

This team needs to be blown up and a new coach hired. I'm going to continue reading postgame summaries and watch highlights. I'm just too beaten down by our lack of defense and refusal to play with size to dictate matchups and tempo to bother watching. The Mavs have officially Cowboy'd me. :-/

Over/under on Green's series minutes - 15.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:00 PM   #103
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
This isn't going to be a popular post, but I think we lose in 5 games. We will beat them handedly in 1 game, choke 1 away, maybe 2, and then get beat solidly if not spectacularly in the remaining losses.

The lane will be a wide open highway as Powell hops around with great effort to no effect. Offensively, we will be chucking 3s cuz analytics until iso Luka gets to work in the last 4 minutes or so. Basically, we end the season looking not much different than last year but with Luka 1 year older.

This team needs to be blown up and a new coach hired. I'm going to continue reading postgame summaries and watch highlights. I'm just too beaten down by our lack of defense and refusal to play with size to dictate matchups and tempo to bother watching. The Mavs have officially Cowboy'd me. :-/

I get the frustration about the same old shit but honestly the people that feel this way need the week off like the team does. It's been a roller coaster.

If you consider that we are better than last year, higher seed and better record, we have more guys available and a PO series of experience under our belt. This team and franchise is way better that the lousy ass Cowboys. That doesn't mean we are without flaws though. We desperately need to pull the right strings and get lucky in the offseason to retool.

To miss this series after that roller coaster of a season is a waste of a season imo. Just realize that we aren't a contender yet and try to enjoy the games ahead. It's about the journey. Dirks journey took us on a wild ride which made the chip way sweeter than it could have been otherwise because of the ups and downs. There is no easy way or short cut.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:14 AM   #104
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:

I got a feeling that Powell isn't going to get more than 10-12 minutes per start and he may not last that long in the starting lineup do to the Clippers small ball lineups...

The Clippers have a load of 3-pt shooters which I think the Mavs will go smaller with one big on the floor that being KP to start most games.

I think we are about to see a lot of DFS moved back to the 4 spot giving them more switchable defenders on the perimeter.

One guy that does worries me if the Mavs play soft is Cousins. That dude has showed this year that he's a load for our big's. I know he was throwing around KP, WCS, Powell and Kleber.

They just aren't built to play vs physical bigs so hopefully Cousins doesn't get going....

Last edited by Dallas41; 05-18-2021 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:15 AM   #105
D_D_D

Quote:

Hey ya this def won't be a popular post. But honestly, I hear you man. I've said for awhile that, we blew up our team ( literally traded away our starting lineup) after we got Luka. And I stand by my opinion that the big thing we didn't do was change coaches. (and that will catch grief here too) but yes.... This off-season IMHO we need a new coach, and we really need to do some big changes to the roster!!

All that being said, here we are, about to play against the fucking bitch ass clippers in round one again. Honestly I was thinking about it earlier today, and I thought, no way we win a championship this year duh. And I don't care if we don't get past round 2... But for me, as absolutely stupid as this sounds, beating the clippers in round one almost feels the same as winning it all lol. I hate em. I don't like our chances. But damnit I'm gonna root for us to beat those fuckers!!!!

So????

Let's. Go. Mavs!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by D_D_D; 05-18-2021 at 01:16 AM.
D_D_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:27 AM   #106
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
I get the frustration about the same old shit but honestly the people that feel this way need the week off like the team does. It's been a roller coaster.

If you consider that we are better than last year, higher seed and better record, we have more guys available and a PO series of experience under our belt. This team and franchise is way better that the lousy ass Cowboys. That doesn't mean we are without flaws though. We desperately need to pull the right strings and get lucky in the offseason to retool.

To miss this series after that roller coaster of a season is a waste of a season imo. Just realize that we aren't a contender yet and try to enjoy the games ahead. It's about the journey. Dirks journey took us on a wild ride which made the chip way sweeter than it could have been otherwise because of the ups and downs. There is no easy way or short cut.

I understand, and I agree with the break part. I'm looking forward to it, but this team is not talented or consistent enough to win a series imo. Yes, they can blow the Clippers out in a game, maybe even 2, but I don't think they have any chance of winning this series. The final nail in the coffin is the fact that I don't think the Mavs are a very smart basketball team, and that fact alone will end up costing them at least 1 game, if not 2.

Giving away a winnable game every now and then during the regular season is not nearly as detrimental to a team as it is during the playoffs. It only takes one boneheaded play to lose a series, and the Mavs have a greater than even chance of making several during crunch time.

Maybe it's just me, but the more I think about it, I may just not be a fan of the "new style" of NBA play. Watching teams launch 3's on offense and running back on defense to watch their opponent launch a 3 is not my idea of fun basketball to watch. It's more like a speed game of horse or something.

I enjoy defense (not 80's style WWF), skilled big men in the paint who bring defense, rim protection and the ability to play an inside out game complemented by shooters on the outside with at least some fundamental basketball skills like dribbing, driving, and passing as well as shooting. That's the well-rounded team basketball that I enjoy watching, and while I'm no fan of Lebron or the Lakers, I did get some satisfaction watching them roll on to another NBA championship with a counter-trend bunch of bigs on their roster who proved that there was still a place in the NBA for big guys who don't regularly jack up 3's from half court.

Last edited by turin; 05-18-2021 at 08:30 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:40 AM   #107
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That's my guess as well. I've felt like our ceiling this postseason is losing either a 5-game series that's slightly closer than the final score indicates or losing a 6-game series that we never had a serious chance to win. Luka's still just 22 so I see this season as another learning opportunity for him, and hopefully an evaluation opportunity for the MBT.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote