Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-10-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough
Default Just in:SAS 6 game streak ends in atlanta:)

The team with the best record in the league,lost to the team with the worst,94-84.
I know its not General Mavs,but it relates through finley who had 9 points and 6 assists on a 4-11 effort,to go with a 8.9 PPG on a 37 FG percantage,27 from down town overal averages.
But the old bear still makes his free throws,83.3
I think Finley is proving to be as we all thought he had become,over the hill.
I know its harsh considering how much he has done for this club,but its true.
I i actualy pitty him a little,he will understand how Shawn Kemp felt in his final days...
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitzki_prophecy
I i actualy pitty him a little,he will understand how Shawn Kemp felt in his final days...
coked up?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

He wishes useless...
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

NBA forum

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

On any given night........
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:15 PM   #6
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Spurs are teh suck.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:33 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Last year with the Mavs as a starter:

37 min
43% fg
40.7% 3pt
83% ft (2.1 attempts)
15.7 pts (14 shots per game)
4.1 rbs
2.6 as

This year with the Spurs off the bench:

25 min
37% fg
27% 3pt
83% ft (1.6 attempts)
8.8 pts (9 shots per game)
3.4 rbs
1.7 as

So ... other than his fg/3pt percentages what's wrong with his numbers? His defense is better and Pop's told him to stop being hesitant and to shoot more. His ppg are down but that was expected. It's not like his ft attempts (-.5), rbs (-.7), or assists (-.9) are drastically down.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:48 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Right now I'd much rather have marquis...I'm shocked to say. Marquis is really showing a lot of talent getting closer in shots and his defense is really coming on.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:56 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Right now I'd much rather have marquis...I'm shocked to say. Marquis is really showing a lot of talent getting closer in shots and his defense is really coming on.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you. The Mavs have gone in a different direction and Daniels works for that instead of Finley. Hell, even Griffin works better for the Mavs than Finley at this point. That's not a knock on Fin but not really the point of this thread.

What I'm trying to figure out is some of these posts that talk about Finley being washed up and only point to his fg percentages. As if that explains everything. No one would argue that he's on the downside of his career and much more suited off the bench. BUT, are his numbers that bad for someone off the bench?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:58 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Marguis is quickly becoming one of my favorite Mavs. He plays hard and he still has a sense of humor. Did anyone else see tonight's Southwest Sports Report after the game? Harris was being interviewed in a puff piece and at the end, Daniels came by and stuck his tongue out behind the interviewer's head. Devin broke up - it was absolutely classic.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I was in San Antonio this morning, and I have to tell you first of all how grating it was for me as a die-hard Mavs fan to see a huge poster in their airport flashing three championship trophies with that "Mission Accomplished" tagline of theirs. Gah.

But the story about Friday night's game was how their bench, led by Finley and Van Exel, allowed Pop to rest Parker and Ginobli in the fourth quarter of a (somewhat) close game, in anticipation of a back-to-back. In that respect, it amuses me that they lost tonight.

As for Finley statistically, I'll just say that naturally his stats are going to suffer a bit in his new role. It's easier on starters to find their rhythm right away, coming off pregame and half-time warmups. I don't have the slightest doubt in my mind that Finley's stats would be more favorable in heavier minutes.

Fin will help the Spurs, much like he would have been able to help the Mavericks, all else being equal. But of course, those things could never be equal. Fin simply couldn't play for AJ, and that was that. And the Mavs are doing alright without him. Though wouldn't it be nice--again, all else being equal--to have him to call on if you needed him. As I used to say, I would rather have Michael Finley and not need him than need Michael Finley and not have him.

That's the luxury San Antonio now has, and that's just the way it had to be. Getting back on topic, the Spurs will be okay, this loss notwithstanding. It's shaping up to be a two-team race in the West, three if Amare comes back.

The more they change the more they stay the same, I suppose.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:38 AM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

As nicky would say... F'em...

I'm getting to the point that I don't fear anyone, spurs, detroit, no one.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:57 AM   #13
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Our team is really gaining confidence; let's hope this will carry over to the postseason.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:36 AM   #14
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

The key is for the Mavs to win the division, whatever it takes. The 4th seed just doesn't cut it.

Hopefully we'll continue to take advantage of the rare Spurs losses.
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:22 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

4th will cut it: the only real difference between 1st and 4th is that the 4th might have to face a harder opponent in the second round, because the West might go 5-6 deep this year.

Do we want to hone our skills with competition and come in as the underdog in name only or do we want to glide through our first round matchup?
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #16
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

the spurs will be alright. a bit surprising they lost to the hawks, but the spurs seem to start slow and have a few turd games every now and then.

i don't expect the spurs to win less than 60 games this yr.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #17
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
4th will cut it: the only real difference between 1st and 4th is that the 4th might have to face a harder opponent in the second round, because the West might go 5-6 deep this year.

Do we want to hone our skills with competition and come in as the underdog in name only or do we want to glide through our first round matchup?
You don't think there's a huge difference between playing the Spurs without homecourt advantage and playing Denver/PHX/the Clips/ or Minn with homecourt advantage?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:45 PM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know if I really understand that dichotomy.

Those are different times? Because no matter what we'd be playing against Denver/PHX. Clips with HCA. The only difference between 1 and 4 is HCA if we face the Spurs.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 01:00 PM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, I dont' know what I was thinking. Still, I think HCA against the Spurs is critical.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #20
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

We play well in San Antonio, in fact, I would rather have them have the HCA in a 7game series. Don't ask me why.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #21
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
We play well in San Antonio, in fact, I would rather have them have the HCA in a 7game series. Don't ask me why.

Why?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #22
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

The thing about Finley:
1. Will he be happy coming off the bench in Dallas?
2. Can he accept 10-15 mins coming off the bench since he is not a penetrating guard which goes against AJ's philosophy and play the role of a Walt Williams, Brent Barry, etc?
3. If he can't see eye-to-eye with AJ, would he request for a trade?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #23
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGoesNuclear
The thing about Finley:
1. Will he be happy coming off the bench in Dallas?
2. Can he accept 10-15 mins coming off the bench since he is not a penetrating guard which goes against AJ's philosophy and play the role of a Walt Williams, Brent Barry, etc?
3. If he can't see eye-to-eye with AJ, would he request for a trade?
Finley signed a 3yr (final year/player option) contract with SA so I'm not sure how these questions apply.

And if he plays beyond those years, I don't think they'll be in Dallas.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:39 PM   #24
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

Fin was huge for the Spurs tonight, especially in the 2nd half and OT
39 8-15 3-6 2-2 2 10 0 0 0 0 0 21

He started for the injured Ginobili.

Last edited by TVI; 12-13-2005 at 11:40 PM.
TVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:43 PM   #25
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Two huge jump shots in OT to put the Spurs ahead by 5...bastard
Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 PM   #26
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Finley was solid tonight. Nice to see him step up for the injured Ginobli.

The Clippers played the Spurs tough for 4 quarters but disappeared in the OT. Spurs stepped it up and finished them off.

It will be interesting to see how they weather their injuries. Ginobli is out for a week, at least. Pop believes it will be longer but we'll see. Duncan is fighting through plantar faciatis (sp) and it shows.

Last edited by MavsFanFinley; 12-13-2005 at 11:46 PM.
MavsFanFinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:49 PM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
plantar faciatis (sp) and it shows.
I havent' heard that. That's not getting any better until the offseason.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:56 PM   #28
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I havent' heard that. That's not getting any better until the offseason.
It's been bothering him since training camp. He had to have a shot in the heal yesterday.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 AM   #29
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

If you watch Finley play you can tell he's not washed up. As a Fin fan I wish he was still here but for the team Daniels is best fitted. As stated above by other members, Finley just couldn't play for AJ. Whether it was an injury he suffered last year or whatever it just wasn't working out for Finley or the Mavs. What's surprised me this year is his defense. He's been playing solid defense that allows Popovich to play Finley in the clutch at times. Its easy to look at stats and attempt to determine how well a player is playing but while some feel Finley wasn't a fit for the Mavs he's definately a fit for the Spurs. Spurs in the years past have been probably one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the NBA. That's been their only weakness. Adding Fin gave them a 84% free throw shooter who can come in and shoot free throws in the clutch. He's been called to do so all season long and he's gotten it done. Looking at his stats he's just having problems with his jumper. He's always been a good jump shooter so i'd imagine that will go up some points as the year goes on. He had a good game yesterday. Came through in the clutch for arguably the best team in the NBA. Not to mention playing alongside the best player in the NBA. Hope it works out for Fin over there. But if the Spurs and Mavs happen to meet in the playoffs Go MAVS!

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 12-14-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote