Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-31-2016, 09:19 AM   #121
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I think Wes' three ball is permanently shot, btw. Take a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEV0I8jPn9U

He had much better lift. He doesn't have the same lift anymore. He will have occasional big nights, like that 10-three night against the Wizards, but I'm afraid his consistency is gone for good. I don't think that sucking at something a year straight, something that you were previously elite at, can be called a slump.
There is barely any noticeable difference in lift on his 3s from that video. He's just older and cant make the shots anymore. At his age, it was almost impossible to come back the same after achilles injury.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #122
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
There is barely any noticeable difference in lift on his 3s from that video. He's just older and cant make the shots anymore. At his age, it was almost impossible to come back the same after achilles injury.
So you noticed a difference. All it takes is one inch, and his shooting form, which he practiced through repetition for probably more than a decade, falls apart. Who are you talking about in the second part? It feels like you are referring to Bryant. Matthews is still young, just turned 30 a couple weeks ago. Age is not his problem, the achilles injury is. You simply don't come back from that injury the same player.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:55 AM   #123
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
If things go downhill fast, then I wonder what sort of adjustments Rick will make. Players don't look comfortable in the offense, and that has been an issue for a while.

And you have to wonder if he is doggin' the young guys. I just don't understand how Curry can light it up in the preseason only to go 0-3 in 24 minutes? What? That is a severe confidence issue for a guy that shouldn't have issues shooting.

This is not me blaming coach for everything by any means, but the team should be a lot better than this.

The competition and the level of intensity is not the same in the preseason. Lots of players get significant playing time, only to be cut in the following days. Seth is an excellent shooter, not much worse than his brother, actually (as a stand still shooter), but he needs others to create for him. He cannot create at the NBA level, that was one of the knocks on him, and the reason why he went underafted after a very good senior year. Playing without explosive scorers means he cannot really take advantage of his main skill, shooting.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:22 AM   #124
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Playing without explosive scorers means he cannot really take advantage of his main skill, shooting.
A very valid point. Many of our problems would be fixed by one guy who could consistently penetrate and finish.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:43 AM   #125
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
A very valid point. Many of our problems would be fixed by one guy who could consistently penetrate and finish.
Hate to say it, but this is where the team misses Monta...

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:43 PM   #126
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

What I will say is that Wes looked great on defense against Harden, at least from the eye test. I don't even know offhand whether Harden had a good night by volume but I do know that Wes made him work for everything he got.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #127
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
What I will say is that Wes looked great on defense against Harden, at least from the eye test. I don't even know offhand whether Harden had a good night by volume but I do know that Wes made him work for everything he got.
He is still an excellent defender because he is smart, and playing defense - at the perimeter - is mostly about knowing where to be, and lateral speed. Wes is still excellent at both. The problem is his verticality, which he got robbed of. The achilles works like a spring, and in addition to the quads and the bottocks, it basically determines how quickly you can get off the ground vertically. He doesn't have the same lift anymore, and in my opinion, that is why his shots are all over the place, and you often see him taking jumpshots while barely leaving the floor. I hope I'm wrong, because that would mean he is basically done as a true impact player, but this does not feel like a slump anymore.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #128
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He is still an excellent defender because he is smart, and playing defense - at the perimeter - is mostly about knowing where to be, and lateral speed. Wes is still excellent at both. The problem is his verticality, which he got robbed of. The achilles works like a spring, and in addition to the quads and the bottocks, it basically determines how quickly you can get off the ground vertically. He doesn't have the same lift anymore, and in my opinion, that is why his shots are all over the place, and you often see him taking jumpshots while barely leaving the floor. I hope I'm wrong, because that would mean he is basically done as a true impact player, but this does not feel like a slump anymore.
Wes can still be a great offensive player in the right situation. The bottom line is that we need someone who can create off the dribble to get him open. It seems the opposite is happening with this team where one guy holds the ball while the others run around off picks and whatnot. Defenders don't have to cheat toward the lane to help protect penetrating guards and wings because we have virtually no threat in that regard.

I would argue that the Achilles has a lot to do with lateral movement as well. Try playing tennis with a sore Achilles and you'll know what I mean. There is very little vertical movement compared to basketball and trust me it is painful as hell trying to move laterally with that type of injury.

But until we get a good creator with the ball and some threatening penetration, I don't think Wes will be optimized on the offensive end.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #129
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So you noticed a difference. All it takes is one inch, and his shooting form, which he practiced through repetition for probably more than a decade, falls apart. Who are you talking about in the second part? It feels like you are referring to Bryant. Matthews is still young, just turned 30 a couple weeks ago. Age is not his problem, the achilles injury is. You simply don't come back from that injury the same player.
Honestly no I didnt notice a difference. I said what I said earlier because maybe theres something the naked eye cant see, but no I dont notice a difference in his lift. And I meant age as in, if youre not in your early 20s or younger, you arent coming back to 100%.

Last edited by Melonhead; 10-31-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #130
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

After first game my #1 concern was Matthews' shot. Anybody still want to defend his bricks by blaming it on the offense? I didn't think so. It's a sad situation, but I'll continue to root for him. It is what it is.

Last edited by turin; 10-31-2016 at 03:57 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #131
Jeff Wade
Banned

Jeff Wade is infamous around these partsJeff Wade is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
All great points! Also sometimes it's a good idea to have a post player to throw the ball to so they can draw the defense and create for open players, cause sometimes it's hard to drive and penetrate a set defense every time.

Also some shooters are better from a post player passing out to them. It gives them more time to setup and they're used to the passes coming to them from the inside as they do in practice.

All good ideas from everyone here?
Jeff Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #132
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Honestly no I didnt notice a difference. I said what I said earlier because maybe theres something the naked eye cant see, but no I dont notice a difference in his lift. And I meant age as in, if youre not in your early 20s or younger, you arent coming back to 100%.
Barely anone comes back from an achilles injury, not just older guys. Other than spinal or head injuries, it is the most devastating basketball injury. The achilles never regains its previous qualities as far as its "springness" (is there a better word for it?) goes. Looking back, it was crazy to give that contract to him, but Cubes and co. were put in an awkward place, because if they backed out, they would have done the same thing as Jordan.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #133
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Wes just needs to drive more and stop shooting 3s. He wastes many possessions when he had a better shot going to the rim.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:36 PM   #134
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
Wes just needs to drive more and stop shooting 3s. He wastes many possessions when he had a better shot going to the rim.

This is as good as gospel considering you've posted 4 times since 2005.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #135
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Barely anone comes back from an achilles injury, not just older guys. Other than spinal or head injuries, it is the most devastating basketball injury. The achilles never regains its previous qualities as far as its "springness" (is there a better word for it?) goes. Looking back, it was crazy to give that contract to him, but Cubes and co. were put in an awkward place, because if they backed out, they would have done the same thing as Jordan.
No yeah there were in a bad place. Nothing they could do. Jordan goes back on his word, so the Mavs had to show they were above that, and give Wes what was initially discussed, pre jordan consideration. At least the dude is a fighter...

Imagine we give Monta another contract 2 offseasons ago, knowing what we know now. Parsons isnt the future and he's going to walk (heh) from Dallas because of what Dallas learned about his knees. So many different ways the last few years have gone.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 PM   #136
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
Matthews has the same shooting touch and complete lack of handles as Michael Finley. I don't want him driving. Posting? Sure. Taking open threes and midrange jumpers? Sure. Driving? Not so much.

JJB and Harris are going to be our penetrators. Williams and Barnes can too. Dirk is probably done with driving even if he does play again.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:52 PM   #137
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
After first game my #1 concern was Matthews' shot. Anybody still want to defend his bricks by blaming it on the offense? I didn't think so. It's a sad situation, but I'll continue to root for him. It is what it is.
I want to defend him. Offense is scrappy but broken. We needed him to shoot threes but couldn't get him decent shots. Depending on a guy to shoot threes is cool. Matthews can be that guy. Not getting any offensive rhythm to get him good shots is the problem and depending on him to be a top 2 option on offense is bad. Matthews is a perfect third fiddle. He just struggles to be a first or second fiddle in an offense that doesn't give him much.

He's a great piece. Absolutely a piece to a Chaionship team. We're just missing the 1/2 offensive guy and Dirk isn't it. Barnes has been impressive as a #1 in Dirks absence. Probably a better Robin long term.

Sorry to contradict your dramatic rhetorical moment. It's just silly to say no one is defending Matthews. Dude was great on D and will be good on offense once the offense is there.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-31-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #138
Jeff Wade
Banned

Jeff Wade is infamous around these partsJeff Wade is infamous around these parts

Quote:
No yeah there were in a bad place. Nothing they could do. Jordan goes back on his word, so the Mavs had to show they were above that, and give Wes what was initially discussed, pre jordan consideration. At least the dude is a fighter...

Imagine we give Monta another contract 2 offseasons ago, knowing what we know now. Parsons isnt the future and he's going to walk (heh) from Dallas because of what Dallas learned about his knees. So many different ways the last few years have gone.

Mark Cuban knew he wasn't going to get DeAndre Jordan. He was lying when he said DeAndre was going to Dallas. He's done that in the past. He lied about getting other players here too to the Media. Also I don't really think DeAndre Jordan would've fixed the Mavericks. D. Jordan is mainly good because he plays with the best passing PG in the last 10 years and HOFer Chris Paul. The Mavericks don't have anyone like that and they don't have the coach to get the ball to D. Jordan. So you could've expected a drop in D. Jordans scoring. Sometimes when centers aren't getting the ball their defense drops some too. I would see his ppg dropping about 3 and his blocks dropping about 1.5 even.

As for Monta, he wanted to leave. Some of the fans didn't like him. "They thought he was too good at driving the lane and getting through traffic" They wanted a three point shooter like JJ Reddick instead. Shows what those fans knew.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #139
Jeff Wade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Matthews has the same shooting touch and complete lack of handles as Michael Finley. I don't want him driving. Posting? Sure. Taking open threes and midrange jumpers? Sure. Driving? Not so much.

JJB and Harris are going to be our penetrators. Williams and Barnes can too. Dirk is probably done with driving even if he does play again.
He can Drive. He just doesn't choose to. Michael Finley was a good ball handler and good driver. Remember the driving dunks he had on Karl Malone and Polynice in back to back meetings?

Finley is the best 2 Guard in Dallas Mavericks history he carried the Franchise for several years and was the reason the Mavericks became a great team around 1999.

They were so fun to watch back then from about 1997-1999.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #140
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wade View Post
Mark Cuban knew he wasn't going to get DeAndre Jordan. He was lying when he said DeAndre was going to Dallas. He's done that in the past. He lied about getting other players here too to the Media. Also I don't really think DeAndre Jordan would've fixed the Mavericks. D. Jordan is mainly good because he plays with the best passing PG in the last 10 years and HOFer Chris Paul. The Mavericks don't have anyone like that and they don't have the coach to get the ball to D. Jordan. So you could've expected a drop in D. Jordans scoring. Sometimes when centers aren't getting the ball their defense drops some too. I would see his ppg dropping about 3 and his blocks dropping about 1.5 even.

As for Monta, he wanted to leave. Some of the fans didn't like him. "They thought he was too good at driving the lane and getting through traffic" They wanted a three point shooter like JJ Reddick instead. Shows what those fans knew.
Is this some form of sarcasm(or troll that im missing badly) that isn't being translated well in text? Cuban lied about Jordan verbally committing? Fans wanted defense from the 2 with Dirk and Parsons alrdy under contract. It was more about getting defenders than a shooter but preferably both. It was all about the Wes/Danny Green type guys everyone wanted. We couldn't have 3 negative defenders in the starting lineup with questions at pg and center as well.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 11-01-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #141
Jeff Wade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Cuban lied about Jordan verbally committing? Fans wanted defense from the 2 with Dirk and Parsons alrdy under contract. It was more about getting defenders than a shooter but preferably both. It was all about the Wes/Danny Green type guys everyone wanted. We couldn't have 3 negative defenders in the starting lineup with questions at pg and center as well.
Is this some form of sarcasm (or troll that I'm missing badly)? Tell me you're a troll would you bryan?

It wasn't a professional move to go and blurt to the fans a so-so verbal agreement. Cuban was at that point trying to put "pressure" on Jordan to sign. Some people don't like that sort of pressure and obligation to sign.

I also thought it was sort of weird the way some fans were acting like it was GOLD and a DONE DEAL. I kept asking them while they were on their phones reading about it. "Did he sign". Or is it just cuban popping off? They got the message. I've been around the NBA for a long time.

The same sort of thing happened with Rashard Lewis back in 2003. I remember Cuban saying it's like a 90% chance he signs with Dallas.

As for the defense. I think Dirk is ok defender. So many rip on him for some reason I'll never know. Without him we would never grab a defensive rebound. Also he gets many deflections.

I remember some fans throwing out the idea of JJ Reddick or Kyle Korver. I do also remember a lot of guys talking about Danny Green. I don't know if any talked about Wes Matthews. I don't think that really ever came up.

Monta was an ok Defensive player, but he was out of position defending shooting guards.

The real question is who is better at basketball.

Last edited by Jeff Wade; 11-01-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #142
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is this some form of sarcasm (of troll that I'm missing badly)? Tell me you're a troll would you bryan?

It wasn't a professional move to go and blurt to the fans a so-so verbal agreement. Cuban was at that point trying to put "pressure" on Jordan to sign. Some people don't like that sort of pressure and obligation to sign.

I also thought it was sort of weird the way some fans were acting like it was GOLD and a DONE DEAL. I kept asking them while they were on their phones reading about it. "Did he sign". Or is it just cuban popping off? They got the message. I've been around the NBA for a long time.

The same sort of thing happened with Rashard Lewis back in 2003. I remember Cuban saying it's like a 90% chance he signs with Dallas.

As for the defense. I think Dirk is ok defender. So many rip on him for some reason I'll never know. Without him we would never grab a defensive rebound. Also he gets many deflections.

I remember some fans throwing out the idea of JJ Reddick or Kyle Korver. I do also remember a lot of guys talking about Danny Green. I don't know if any talked about Wes Matthews. I don't think that really ever came up.

Monta was an ok Defensive player, but he was out of position defending shooting guards.

The real question is who is better at basketball.
I guess Doc Rivers and the entire clippers roster who all have said multiple times that DJ chose Dallas and then called Doc and said he made a mistake are all lying to help our owner save face.

Rly not going to get real into the monta thing there is no point. Both He and Wes were below average players last year. We needed a defender in the starting lineup, to pair with Parsons and Dirk as below average defenders. We could use someone like monta on this roster right now sure. But we need someone like Wes as well.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #143
Jeff Wade
Banned

Quote:
I guess Doc Rivers and the entire clippers roster who all have said multiple times that DJ chose Dallas and then called Doc and said he made a mistake are all lying to help our owner save face.

Rly not going to get real into the monta thing there is no point. Both He and Wes were below average players last year. We needed a defender in the starting lineup, to pair with Parsons and Dirk as below average defenders. We could use someone like monta on this roster right now sure. But we need someone like Wes as well.
you're trying to argue just to argue. You're not reading what I'm saying.

I'm saying Cuban pressured Jordan to tell him what he wants. I also have seen how Cuban sometimes over exaggerates a lot.

Jordan was just testing the market and had never been pressured like that by a brash Billionaire that is looking for anything that is said like a "ok maybe" then run to the media and use the media to put more pressure on him. Cuban looked desparate.

You are acting as if Cuban is a God and has never made a business mistake or basketball mistake.

Explain why you think Dirk is a below average defender. Like say why and give examples on the floor as to why you think so?

I can see he does what other Power Forwards have done over their career and then some on the defensive end.

Last edited by Jeff Wade; 11-01-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #144
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
He can Drive. He just doesn't choose to. Michael Finley was a good ball handler and good driver. Remember the driving dunks he had on Karl Malone and Polynice in back to back meetings?

Finley is the best 2 Guard in Dallas Mavericks history he carried the Franchise for several years and was the reason the Mavericks became a great team around 1999.

They were so fun to watch back then from about 1997-1999.
Finley was a good ball handler and driver? As Trump would say, "WRONG!"

Finley absolutely is a top-3 SG for the Mavs. He supported the franchise and kept us treading water until we could improve the talent (kinda like Matthews). I love Finley as all MFFLs should, but his handles were awful. Let's not muddy the waters by trying to change the argument from Finley's handles to Finley's overall game/contribution to the Mavs.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-01-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #145
Jeff Wade
Banned

Quote:
Finley was a good ball handler and driver? As Trump would say, "WRONG!"

Finley absolutely is a top-3 SG for the Mavs. He supported the franchise and kept us treading water until we could improve the talent (kinda like Matthews). I love Finley as all MFFLs should, but his handles were awful. Let's not muddy the waters by trying to change the argument from Finley's handles to Finley's overall game/contribution to the Mavs.
Are you really saying Matthews is as good as Michael Finley? Run along little kid. Michael Finley was a 20/5/5 player for many years. This is when stats were even harder to come by for a wing player because the NBA was dominated by 6'11 and up players back when players were allowed to camp in the lane and wait on defense actually being able to defend the Basket.
Finley had handles, just because some fan says he doesn't in his last season and doesn't drive in his last season doesn't make it true. Don Nelson had Finley playing Point guard much of his early years before Nash and others came on.

Finley was a borderline SuperStar in the NBA from 97-03 he could do it all and even triple doubles several times for the Mavericks. Dirk created him to one of the reasons he saw what it took to be a great pro. Finley was also a very good passer. I remember he was the best at feeding Bradley inside during those early years. He would pass to him up high so Bradley could just catch and finish. He would also pass to other centers well.

What next are you going to say Michael Jordan didn't have handles?

Get out of here with that

Matthews has a pretty good feel for the ball when dribbling even for an NBA shooting guard. He just decided that he loves threes a long time ago so now he takes like 15 three point attempts per game and just decides not to drive ever. It's the NBA today. You can play longer if you just stand on the three point line and the coaches will never hold you accountable. But also he's not the greatest athlete in the NBA. Still no reason to not drive the lane everytime.

Last edited by Jeff Wade; 11-01-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #146
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Run along little kid.
Your insulting rhetoric is noted.

Also, you continued the same logical fallacy as I called you out on. There is no point arguing when you are going to be insulting and repeat your point as a blunt-force attack. I specifically specified that we were talking about handles in response to your criticism that Matthews didn't drive and that Finley's handles were amazing. You again missed the point.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-01-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #147
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
you're trying to argue just to argue. You're not reading what I'm saying.

I'm saying Cuban pressured Jordan to tell him what he wants. I also have seen how Cuban sometimes over exaggerates a lot.

Jordan was just testing the market and had never been pressured like that by a brash Billionaire that is looking for anything that is said like a "ok maybe" then run to the media and use the media to put more pressure on him. Cuban looked desparate.

You are acting as if Cuban is a God and has never made a business mistake or basketball mistake.

Explain why you think Dirk is a below average defender. Like say why and give examples on the floor as to why you think so?

I can see he does what other Power Forwards have done over their career and then some on the defensive end.
There is no arguing just to argue here. You are simply backtracking from your original statement.

Quote:
Mark Cuban knew he wasn't going to get DeAndre Jordan. He was lying when he said DeAndre was going to Dallas. He's done that in the past. He lied about getting other players here too to the Media.
I'm just waiting for some consistency to the BS you post. It seems to change post to post.

I never indicated Cuban hasn't made mistakes. I'm just not wearing a tin foil hat throwing out wild baseless accusations as fact. I'm going to show you how to do something really simple-

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...geles-clippers

That is how you post a source of material about what you are talking about so ppl don't think you are full of BS. I'll wait for yours. You know, the one contradicting the one I just posted which has multiple people from Mavericks, Clippers and outside sources all saying the same thing. None of it being that Cuban exaggerated or pressured him. Jordan was just an emo lil child who wanted to feel wanted by the Clippers, and he f'd the mavs over in the process because we gave him what he wanted and then so did the clippers.

Dirk for his career is an underrated defender. He is a below average defender now. We hide him on spot op shooters when we can, we over help when he gets switched on pick n rolls. He can get some timely stops but he is by no means at this age a good defender. And that's not his fault but it is what it is.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #148
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are you really saying Matthews is as good as Michael Finley? Run along little kid. Michael Finley was a 20/5/5 player for many years. This is when stats were even harder to come by for a wing player because the NBA was dominated by 6'11 and up players back when players were allowed to camp in the lane and wait on defense actually being able to defend the Basket.
Finley had handles, just because some fan says he doesn't in his last season and doesn't drive in his last season doesn't make it true. Don Nelson had Finley playing Point guard much of his early years before Nash and others came on.

Finley was a borderline SuperStar in the NBA from 97-03 he could do it all and even triple doubles several times for the Mavericks. Dirk created him to one of the reasons he saw what it took to be a great pro. Finley was also a very good passer. I remember he was the best at feeding Bradley inside during those early years. He would pass to him up high so Bradley could just catch and finish. He would also pass to other centers well.

What next are you going to say Michael Jordan didn't have handles?

Get out of here with that
Funny that your name is Jeff "skin" Wade since he would be the first person to tell you that Finley didn't have handles.

Any person that actually watched Finley in those years knows this. That doesn't mean he wasn't talented in other areas, but ball handling wasn't his forte.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 11-01-2016 at 12:53 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #149
Jeff Wade
Banned

Quote:

Also, you continued the same logical fallacy as I called you out on. There is no point arguing when you are going to be insulting and repeat your point as a blunt-force attack. I specifically specified that we were talking about handles in response to your criticism that Matthews didn't drive and that Finley's handles were amazing. You again missed the point.

so where would you rank Michael Finley's Dribbling back in the 90's and early 2000's. Would you say he's the worst in the league?

Cause that sounds like what you're doing.

also worth noting. Finley was a player that liked to get into his attack quickly and use his athleticism springs and size to quickly get his baskets. He wasn't a showy dribbler if that is what you're trying to say.

I'd say Mike Finley was a better dribbler than someone like Glen Big Dog Robinson would you agree?
Old 11-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #150
Jeff Wade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Funny that your name is Jeff "skin" Wade since he would be the first person to tell you that Finley didn't have handles.

Any person that actually watched Finley in those years knows this. That doesn't mean he wasn't talented in other areas, but ball handling wasn't his forte.
So you would be funny and say he's the WORST DRIBBLER IN THE WORLD AND NBA.

I'm not saying he's Allen Iverson. But I'm saying he's better than Brent Barry, Derek Anderson, Isiah Rider, Mitch Richmond, Vince Carter, Reggie Miller and other notable Shooting guards of that era. Also he played SF a lot so he was better than Glen Robinson, Gerald Wilkins, Ruben Patterson and many other SF's.

And remember he wasn't trying to show off on the dribble. He's trying to get to his move as quickly as possible where his athleticism can take hold and win the matchup.

And remember it's the "NBA". I'm pretty sure they can all dribble just fine and each has their own style and rhythm.

Last edited by Jeff Wade; 11-01-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #151
Jeff Wade
Banned

Quote:
There is no arguing just to argue here. You are simply backtracking from your original statement.

I'm just waiting for some consistency to the BS you post. It seems to change post to post.

I never indicated Cuban hasn't made mistakes. I'm just not wearing a tin foil hat throwing out wild baseless accusations as fact. I'm going to show you how to do something really simple-

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...geles-clippers

That is how you post a source of material about what you are talking about so ppl don't think you are full of BS. I'll wait for yours. You know, the one contradicting the one I just posted which has multiple people from Mavericks, Clippers and outside sources all saying the same thing. None of it being that Cuban exaggerated or pressured him. Jordan was just an emo lil child who wanted to feel wanted by the Clippers, and he f'd the mavs over in the process because we gave him what he wanted and then so did the clippers.

Dirk for his career is an underrated defender. He is a below average defender now. We hide him on spot op shooters when we can, we over help when he gets switched on pick n rolls. He can get some timely stops but he is by no means at this age a good defender. And that's not his fault but it is what it is.
Were you at the dinner between Mark Cuban and DeAndre Jordan. No you weren't. So it's all hearsay.

Could you name some PF's that are better or more effective defensively than Dirk?

Last edited by Jeff Wade; 11-01-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #152
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Were you at the dinner between Mark Cuban and DeAndre Jordan. No you weren't. So it's all hearsay.

Yes, other people reporting things that the media actually said are guilty of hearsay. Your ridiculous claims that aren't backed by a single media source are written in stone. Well done!

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-01-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #153
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

I wasn't there in 1836 when Texas declared independence of Mexico. Even though there are tons of articles and statements from other people saying that's exactly what we did.... But it's prolly total bullshit. We just told everybody we did and everyone believed it. Too bad Cuban wasn't so convincing.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #154
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I wasn't there in 1836 when Texas declared independence of Mexico. Even though there are tons of articles and statements from other people saying that's exactly what we did.... But it's prolly total bullshit. We just told everybody we did and everyone believed it. Too bad Cuban wasn't so convincing.
Soooooooo...you're saying that Cuban is a hero for emancipating Texas from Mexico?
Old 11-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #155
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Soooooooo...you're saying that Cuban is a hero for emancipating Texas from Mexico?
Yes, exactly. And since I did not post any source of any kind it's obviously irrefutable fact. So please do not post any source material unless you witnessed the events in person. It's all hearsay otherwise.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #156
Jeff Wade
Banned

It looks like a lot of BS in that source written by Romana Shelborne and Tim MacMahon who is a Dallas homer and will skew the story to make Cuban look like roses.

Cuban was desparate and they treated him like a prize and not a person. Why would it take "months" to convince him in the words of the story writer. Usually a player just knows.

cuban forced him and probably lied a bit about how committed he was. Jordan was never going to go to the Mavericks. No matter how many dinners you buy for him and how much they tried to trick him and pressure him into "saying whatever'.

Doc had to come in and set things right. He fits better with the Clippers.

Either way it was a poor basketball move and very unprofessional the way Cuban acted.

A great business man is never supposed to put all their eggs in one basket and also they're always supposed to have a plan B that is just as good as Plan A.

It's not legit until they sign. Also if you're trying to convince or impress a player for over a month and he hasn't really given a full commitment then it's probably not going to happen.

Took Durant about 10 minutes in a meeting with GS to sign.

Last edited by Jeff Wade; 11-01-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #157
Jeff Wade
Banned

Quote:

Are you being a Troll?
Old 11-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #158
Jeff Wade
Banned

cuban was using pressuring sells tactics clearly. The same thing he did to Yahoo. cuban is just a used car salesman that's all he really is.

Last edited by Jeff Wade; 11-01-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #159
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

I'd respond to the above statements if I had been there to witness Jeff Wade typing them. Since I was not, I have no proof that he is in fact making these statements of his own volition... I believe it's quite obvious he is in fact being pressured by Deandre Jordan who is refusing to take FT practice seriously and trolling our forums about the Texas emancipation hero Mark Cuban.

Back on topic-

F the Rockets.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #160
Jeff Wade
Banned

Quote:
I'd respond to the above statements if I had been there to witness Jeff Wade typing them. Since I was not, I have no proof that he is in fact making these statements of his own volition... I believe it's quite obvious he is in fact being pressured by Deandre Jordan who is refusing to take FT practice seriously and trolling our forums about the Texas emancipation hero Mark Cuban.

Back on topic-

F the Rockets.
you're just another jilted cuban fan.

I'm a Mavericks fan and NBA fan. But I look at it logically from all angles.

D. Jordan had no business choosing Dallas. The Mavs are an old team and parsons was trash and everyone knew it. This is why Cuban tried to make it not about basketball at all in the meetings, breakfasts, dinners, night clubs, dude was practically living under his bed. Shows you how desperate cuban was. He tired to make it about how many Ladies he could pick up if he was hanging with Parsons.

It's also over exaggerated how much it hurt the Mavericks. It didn't affect them at all. They were going to be like a 45 win team reguardless either way.

The only time this team got up above the 55+ win mark, which I say is Contender level, was just 1 time when they had basically three complete teams that could make the playoffs. They were stacked at every position 15 deep.

Last edited by Jeff Wade; 11-01-2016 at 02:05 PM.