Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-30-2022, 08:36 AM   #1
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I'm confused...the Mavs should dole out a bad contract because other teams have bad contracts?

Max for me is $25mm a year, take it or leave it and have fun in NY I guess.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:42 AM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I'm confused...the Mavs should dole out a bad contract because other teams have bad contracts?
What exactly are you confused about? Bad contracts aren't a big deal. They're not nearly the franchise crippling albatrosses everyone acts like they are. If they were, then there wouldn't be so many bad contracts.

Quote:
Okay, but why? Seriously, what difference does an extra 5 million make?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:55 AM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Seriously, what difference does an extra 5 million make?
Why not ask that to Brunson? He doesn't want to play here.

It seems the negotiating is in total amount anyway. 110 Knicks over four years seems to be their offer. OK, so offer 115 over five which comes to 23 mil a year. There is your extra 5 million and a good compromise. But it's not about the money, and it's certainly not about the winning.

Find me a source that says Brunson really wants to stay as long as the offer is to his liking, and I'll change my tune. Daddy and agent orchestrated this whole thing. There is no way he doesn't go to the Knicks after the moves they made.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:02 AM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Why not ask that to Brunson? He doesn't want to play here.
Huh? That makes no sense. $5 million means a hell of a lot to the player. My question is, what difference does it make to the franchise? More to the point, what difference does it make to a FAN saying the most they would offer if they were in charge is $25M a year. (And in case it wasn't clear, I meant $5 million a year, not $5 million total)

Is $30 million a year really so much more egregious an overpay and so much more crippling to the franchise than $25 million? Spoiler alert- it's not. It IS however a bigger strain on Mark Cuban's pocketbook, which is increasingly what this seems to be about.

And if it really isn't about money, as you suggest, and he's going to the Knicks no matter what the Mavs offer, then fuck it, offer him the full max and make the Knicks pay even more. No sense in letting them off easy.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-30-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post

The Mavs should match or outbid NY because, at this point, it makes no difference if they are more over the cap to anyone but Cuban?s wallet.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote