Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...sp?CID=1173372

I haven't followed college ball all that much this year...so I just read this article. Is this guy talented as well as perhaps a bit dirty/intimidating. Could this be the type of player that could get the Cowboys to change from Finesse to Smash Mouth?

Can he come out and then slide to the 9th pick?
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Fuller made Peterson look pretty ordinary tonight. Of course Fuller looks like a big time prospect every time I see him.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, the Seahawks-Saints game was 10x more fun than I thought it'd be. Everybody already knows this, but Qwest Field is just insanely loud. It was just as loud as several college stadiums I've been to that hold 30,000+ more people.

Speaking of massive stadiums, it turns out I'm also going to the Super Bowl. Flying into DFW for a couple days for it. Should be an absolute blast, even though our team obviously won't be in it.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Wow, the Seahawks-Saints game was 10x more fun than I thought it'd be. Everybody already knows this, but Qwest Field is just insanely loud. It was just as loud as several college stadiums I've been to that hold 30,000+ more people.

Speaking of massive stadiums, it turns out I'm also going to the Super Bowl. Flying into DFW for a couple days for it. Should be an absolute blast, even though our team obviously won't be in it.
Lucky schmuck.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

Nnamdi Asomugha a free agent. He'd assuredly cost a fortune, but man, he's a top 2 cornerback in this league. We'd have to be interested, right? In 14 games opponents went 13/33 for 205 yards and no touchdowns against him.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 01-09-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

Nnamdi Asomugha a free agent. He'd assuredly cost a fortune, but man, he's a top 2 cornerback in this league. We'd have to be interested, right? In 14 games opponents went 13/33 for 205 yards and no touchdowns against him.
Wow, that would be amazing. Much, much more expensive than a younger guy would be but hey, his madden rating is 98.

Seriously though - while rather unlikely due to cost, I would be all over it if we could somehow afford this with help from the release of Roy/Barber (though Roy is going to really hurt in the first year). You could then use the 9th pick in the draft for DL/ILB/OT help.

You could also look FS, but dang, that would be some insane money being spent on the secondary. My hope is that if you bring in a new CB that one of the current CBs (preferably Newman - especially how he has been hitting people the last 2 years) would move to FS.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male29Dan View Post
Wow, that would be amazing. Much, much more expensive than a younger guy would be but hey, his madden rating is 98.

Seriously though - while rather unlikely due to cost, I would be all over it if we could somehow afford this with help from the release of Roy/Barber (though Roy is going to really hurt in the first year). You could then use the 9th pick in the draft for DL/ILB/OT help.

You could also look FS, but dang, that would be some insane money being spent on the secondary. My hope is that if you bring in a new CB that one of the current CBs (preferably Newman - especially how he has been hitting people the last 2 years) would move to FS.
Champ Bailey may also be free, and either he or Nnamdi would be great additions. As to the idea of moving Newman to FS, that will never, ever happen. Your FS has to be able to hit and tackle and Newman does neither. Moving Newman inside in a nickle situation, as your third CB would be an upgrade over Scandrick, and I see that as far more likely, although when T-New is healthy (which he often isn't), he is much more effective and takes fewer risks than Jenkins does, so he might wind up earning the starting spot in training camp if the Cowboys do wind up grabbing a veteran CB via free agency.

If the Cowboys had any pass rush outside of Ware and Spencer, I think the secondary would look much better. If they were able to land Fairley somehow (which I don't think will happen barring a trade), that would be a massive upgrade. I know that proponents of the 3-4 scheme often say that your ends are used to tie up linemen, freeing up your linebacker to make plays, but I don't buy it. If your 3-4 end is consistently getting blocked by one lineman on every passing play, he needs to be feasting on that and regularly making the opposing QB miserable in the pocket.

If the Cowboys decide to trade down to pick up a late first or an early second, another guy I find intriguing is Stephen Paea, a DT from Oregon State. He has been steadily creeping up into the first round, so I'm not sure if he would be available where they pick in the 2nd. His leverage reminds me of Ratliff, and he carries 310 pounds amazingly well.

If they trade way down into late-1st territory, they could grab Anthony Castonzo, offensive right tackle from BC, or Nate Solder, OT from Colorado. This is also where Mike Pouncey, OG from Florida, is projected to go. If the Cowboys move up into the early second round, they could grab the best center in the draft, Stefen Wisniewski from Penn State, allowing them to slide Gurode to guard. That would be great for the o-line.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
Champ Bailey may also be free, and either he or Nnamdi would be great additions. As to the idea of moving Newman to FS, that will never, ever happen. Your FS has to be able to hit and tackle and Newman does neither. Disagree greatly over the past two years. He has actually tried to hurt people week in and week out and had a couple of articles about it last year. He has made great strides in this area and isn't the weak tackler he was early on in his career. Saying he couldn't do this just isn't true. It may indeed never happen but it will be because of his cover ability being more beneficial in a CB role than it will be because of his inability to perform at the position (that or to prevent injuries from being more likely). Moving Newman inside in a nickle situation, as your third CB would be an upgrade over Scandrick, and I see that as far more likely, although when T-New is healthy (which he often isn't), he is much more effective and takes fewer risks than Jenkins does, so he might wind up earning the starting spot in training camp if the Cowboys do wind up grabbing a veteran CB via free agency. [b]For similar reasons that many people didn't want to give up on Borbon in CF, you likewise don't give up on a young talented CB that has already showed that he could be very, very good. I think Jenkins is your starting CB next year no matter what you do (unless they bring in one of the stud FA CBs PLUS go after one of the stud CBs in the draft - which isn't going to happen).

If the Cowboys had any pass rush outside of Ware and Spencer, I think the secondary would look much better. If they were able to land Fairley somehow (which I don't think will happen barring a trade), that would be a massive upgrade. I know that proponents of the 3-4 scheme often say that your ends are used to tie up linemen, freeing up your linebacker to make plays, but I don't buy it. Well, we both agree that 3-4 ends can play rather aggressive and take advantage but it often can be difficult to find speed, power, and size in a guy to be able to take on two blockers at times while also being quick enough to take advantage of a single blocker and get to the QB. I have brought up guys in the past that I thought could do it that were larger 4-3 ends with good size and most here didn't see the fit. Few here think you can have dynamic players at the 3-4 end unless they weigh 340lbs and still run a 4.5 40 (good luck finding that). If your 3-4 end is consistently getting blocked by one lineman on every passing play, he needs to be feasting on that and regularly making the opposing QB miserable in the pocket.

If the Cowboys decide to trade down to pick up a late first or an early second, another guy I find intriguing is Stephen Paea, a DT from Oregon State. He has been steadily creeping up into the first round, so I'm not sure if he would be available where they pick in the 2nd. His leverage reminds me of Ratliff, and he carries 310 pounds amazingly well.

If they trade way down into late-1st territory, they could grab Anthony Castonzo, offensive right tackle from BC, or Nate Solder, OT from Colorado. This is also where Mike Pouncey, OG from Florida, is projected to go. If the Cowboys move up into the early second round, they could grab the best center in the draft, Stefen Wisniewski from Penn State, allowing them to slide Gurode to guard. That would be great for the o-line. Bottom line - there better be damn good value in any trade down they make. I really want one of the two CBs unless we break the bank on one of the available top 5 in the league. If we do that, we still better have darn good value as there are other places I would love to see us bring in an absolute impact player.
Comments above...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-11-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Normally you would expect Jerry to be all over him but we've all heard the rumors about his cash flow problems due to the massive stadium debt. I read this morning that he was leading the pack of owners pushing for a lockout which, if true, may lend credence to the though that he’s in desperate need of financial relief.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
Normally you would expect Jerry to be all over him but we've all heard the rumors about his cash flow problems due to the massive stadium debt. I read this morning that he was leading the pack of owners pushing for a lockout which, if true, may lend credence to the though that he’s in desperate need of financial relief.
Man, what a shame if that is indeed the case.

Regarding the possibility of bringing in Asomugha, this is being written as a comparison to us bringing in Deion so many years ago... Interesting.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Cam will need to actually hit wide open receivers downfield if he wants to play in the NFL for long.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a bit of a difference between being an average to below-average tackler at corner and an adequate tackler at FS. Newman got trucked by Aaron Rodgers trying to deliver a kill shot on the sideline. There aren't many free safeties in the NFL that wouldn't light Rodgers up like a Christmas tree given the same opportunity. Newman could be given the job of free safety, and I can drive with my feet... it doesn't mean I should. With his fragility, asking him to gain ten pounds (which would be necessary) and use his body as a battering-ram would be asking for an IR spot. He was tackled by a running back after an interception and had to sit out several plays.

I do like his ability to cover, but there are few instances where a CB moves to FS in the NFL. If it is felt that their natural weight is in the 210 pound range and they are heavy hitters, it is feasible. For example, Malcolm Jenkins with the Saints was a converted corner, but he was at 204 at Ohio State, and had a 4.5 40 time. He had instincts and liked to hit, so he was converted to FS.

This is what real free safeties look like. I know that Cowboy fans haven't seen one in a while, but here are a few clips to give you an idea of what is required for the position. Do you think Terence Newman can do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqFa-RDDi6U

Or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwyHu...eature=related

Or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8BEd...eature=related

Poor Percy Harvin. Those are free safeties. And, outside of the hit against an unsuspecting Roddy White last season, I can't think of many times T-New has knocked the crap out of a wideout, preventing him from making a catch. He can, however, cover wideouts and use his speed. That's what corners do.

I have no idea what you are basing your view that Newman can come up and hit receivers or running backs on, to be completely honest. The same arguments were made for Anthony Henry, but the conversion from CB to FS isn't simply a decision to move a guy over a few feet on the football field. And those tackles (or attempted tackles) he made while "trying to hurt people"... he will be asked to do that at least 15 times per game at safety because that's what the position demands of you. And he is made of glass, as his career has shown. He may play though most of his injuries, but having a FS who shies away from contact because he's dinged up will get you beat every Sunday.

Last edited by ribosoma; 01-12-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think there is a bit of a difference between being an average to below-average tackler at corner and an adequate tackler at FS. Newman got trucked by Aaron Rodgers trying to deliver a kill shot on the sideline. There aren't many free safeties in the NFL that wouldn't light Rodgers up like a Christmas tree given the same opportunity. Newman could be given the job of free safety, and I can drive with my feet... it doesn't mean I should. With his fragility, asking him to gain ten pounds (which would be necessary) and use his body as a battering-ram would be asking for an IR spot. He was tackled by a running back after an interception and had to sit out several plays.

I do like his ability to cover, but there are few instances where a CB moves to FS in the NFL. If it is felt that their natural weight is in the 210 pound range and they are heavy hitters, it is feasible. For example, Malcolm Jenkins with the Saints was a converted corner, but he was at 204 at Ohio State, and had a 4.5 40 time. He had instincts and liked to hit, so he was converted to FS.

This is what real free safeties look like. I know that Cowboy fans haven't seen one in a while, but here are a few clips to give you an idea of what is required for the position. Do you think Terence Newman can do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqFa-RDDi6U

Or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwyHu...eature=related

Or this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8BEd...eature=related

Poor Percy Harvin. Those are free safeties. And, outside of the hit against an unsuspecting Roddy White last season, I can't think of many times T-New has knocked the crap out of a wideout, preventing him from making a catch. He can, however, cover wideouts and use his speed. That's what corners do.

I have no idea what you are basing your view that Newman can come up and hit receivers or running backs on, to be completely honest. The same arguments were made for Anthony Henry, but the conversion from CB to FS isn't simply a decision to move a guy over a few feet on the football field. And those tackles (or attempted tackles) he made while "trying to hurt people"... he will be asked to do that at least 15 times per game at safety because that's what the position demands of you. And he is made of glass, as his career has shown. He may play though most of his injuries, but having a FS who shies away from contact because he's dinged up will get you beat every Sunday.
If you want to single out guys on one or two plays that are in your memory don't just cherry pick on Newman. Hell, Roy Williams got decleated several times when not expecting the oncoming guy to put his shoulder down. It happens.

My point is that Newman, over the course of a 16-game season, is no longer a below average tackler by any means. If he could stay healthy he absolutely could play the position. That was one of the reasons I listed above regarding why you don't do this, but there is no doubt in my mind that Newman could hit as necessary and certainly cover as necessary.

I think he certainly doesn't give you a full 16 in that role, (hell, he struggles to give you 16 as a CB), but that wasn't my point. Don't let the 2-3 embarrassing plays define Newman. All guys have those occasionally. Watch his entire body of work and if you do I have a hard time seeing him labeled as anything other than an above average tackling CB (which to me makes him an average to slightly below average tackling FS with plus plus coverage abilities - the opposite of what we have been rolling out there, which is definitely working great, right?).

Again, his value at CB and injury risks are why you wouldn't do it - not because he couldn't tackle as needed.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
If you want to single out guys on one or two plays that are in your memory don't just cherry pick on Newman. Hell, Roy Williams got decleated several times when not expecting the oncoming guy to put his shoulder down. It happens.

My point is that Newman, over the course of a 16-game season, is no longer a below average tackler by any means. If he could stay healthy he absolutely could play the position. That was one of the reasons I listed above regarding why you don't do this, but there is no doubt in my mind that Newman could hit as necessary and certainly cover as necessary.

I think he certainly doesn't give you a full 16 in that role, (hell, he struggles to give you 16 as a CB), but that wasn't my point. Don't let the 2-3 embarrassing plays define Newman. All guys have those occasionally. Watch his entire body of work and if you do I have a hard time seeing him labeled as anything other than an above average tackling CB (which to me makes him an average to slightly below average tackling FS with plus plus coverage abilities - the opposite of what we have been rolling out there, which is definitely working great, right?).

Again, his value at CB and injury risks are why you wouldn't do it - not because he couldn't tackle as needed.
When I think of above-average tacklers at the CB position, I think of Champ Bailey, Antoine Winfield, Charles Woodson, Sheldon Brown, Vontae Davis, Brandon Flowers... those are above-average tacklers. Newman is not even close to being as physical as any of those guys. You rarely, if ever, see him shoot inside of a block from a pulling lineman and plant a running back in the backfield, but all of those guys do it regularly. Maybe we should define what "above-average" means. If Newman is an above-average tackler, then the corners above are God-like at tackling. I'm not saying I would prefer any of them over Newman at corner, but he is an average tackler, at best. His coverage ability is above-average and that's why he is a very good corner, although the Cowboys do need to groom someone to replace him due to his age.

This is what I would define as above-average:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WasjkXTNTfo

I'm not cherry-picking Newman as a scapegoat. I've always like him as a player, but you have to be physical and a very good tackler to play free safety, and your body and frame have to be able to withstand the position. Saying that Newman could play FS, but not for 16 games because he could get hurt kind of negates the whole point of thinking he would be a good fit there. Those are caveats that can't be overlooked, in my opinion.

Patrick Peterson of LSU would make an elite free safety, in my opinion, because of his size, instincts, frame, and ball skills. If the Cowboys were to land him in the draft, I would hope that they would consider moving him there because I think he would be dominant. I'm not sure you want to pay a safety the kind of money that Peterson will get, but he is, quite possibly, the best player in the draft, so I certainly wouldn't complain about it.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #15
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
When I think of above-average tacklers at the CB position, I think of Champ Bailey, Antoine Winfield, Charles Woodson, Sheldon Brown, Vontae Davis, Brandon Flowers... those are above-average tacklers. Newman is not even close to being as physical as any of those guys. You rarely, if ever, see him shoot inside of a block from a pulling lineman and plant a running back in the backfield, but all of those guys do it regularly. Maybe we should define what "above-average" means. If Newman is an above-average tackler, then the corners above are God-like at tackling. I'm not saying I would prefer any of them over Newman at corner, but he is an average tackler, at best. His coverage ability is above-average and that's why he is a very good corner, although the Cowboys do need to groom someone to replace him due to his age.

This is what I would define as above-average:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WasjkXTNTfo

I'm not cherry-picking Newman as a scapegoat. I've always like him as a player, but you have to be physical and a very good tackler to play free safety, and your body and frame have to be able to withstand the position. Saying that Newman could play FS, but not for 16 games because he could get hurt kind of negates the whole point of thinking he would be a good fit there. Those are caveats that can't be overlooked, in my opinion.

Patrick Peterson of LSU would make an elite free safety, in my opinion, because of his size, instincts, frame, and ball skills. If the Cowboys were to land him in the draft, I would hope that they would consider moving him there because I think he would be dominant. I'm not sure you want to pay a safety the kind of money that Peterson will get, but he is, quite possibly, the best player in the draft, so I certainly wouldn't complain about it.
Well, you listed 6 CBs that you consider better tacklers than Newman and there are 64 starters in the league. I said he was above average, not elite, so I am not sure why you have the problem you have with my feelings there. There is a level between GODLY and above average you know.

That said, whatever - it doesn't matter. If you are right in your belief that Newman being unable to play all 16 games at FS prevents him from being able to do it you might want to ask him to retire as he can't do that at CB either. You might also want to talk to Sanders/Polamalu.

For the record, Peterson at CB or FS has me giddy. Get that man on this team.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #16
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Champ Bailey wants to move to FS, apparently, in order to prolong his career. I think it was FS, at least, and not SS.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #17
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
Champ Bailey wants to move to FS, apparently, in order to prolong his career. I think it was FS, at least, and not SS.
Link?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #18
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
Link?
http://www.mkrob.com/broncos-cb-cham...y-free-safety/

That was from June. I read some brief mention of it in something more recently.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #19
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

If we could get Pat Peterson, I would slap my mother on Mothers Day!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
ribosoma
Golden Member

I would love to see them draft Peterson as a safety, and sign Champ Bailey, Asomugha, or Ike Taylor at corner if they wind up cutting Newman (which is a distinct possibility). Then sign a good guard like Carl Nicks, Harvey Dahl or Davin Joseph and let Kosier go somewhere else, along with cutting Big Len. Either draft Wisniewski in the second as your center, or do everything you can to get Ryan Kalil away from the Panthers and slide Gurode over to the other guard position. Sign Doug Free now. Pick up at least one RT in the mid rounds. Cut Marion Barber and sign Michael Bush or Mike Tolbert. Cut Roy Williams and sign Lance Moore, Laurent Robinson, Jacoby Jones, Danny Amendola, or Legedu Naanee as your third wideout. There are many permutations that could follow each of those moves, but I definitely think a complete overhaul of the offensive line is a must.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #21
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Quote:
I would love to see them draft Peterson as a safety, and sign Champ Bailey, Asomugha, or Ike Taylor at corner if they wind up cutting Newman (which is a distinct possibility). Then sign a good guard like Carl Nicks, Harvey Dahl or Davin Joseph and let Kosier go somewhere else, along with cutting Big Len. Either draft Wisniewski in the second as your center, or do everything you can to get Ryan Kalil away from the Panthers and slide Gurode over to the other guard position. Sign Doug Free now. Pick up at least one RT in the mid rounds. Cut Marion Barber and sign Michael Bush or Mike Tolbert. Cut Roy Williams and sign Lance Moore, Laurent Robinson, Jacoby Jones, Danny Amendola, or Legedu Naanee as your third wideout. There are many permutations that could follow each of those moves, but I definitely think a complete overhaul of the offensive line is a must.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:33 AM   #22
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
Old 01-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #23
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
huge pipe dream. it'd be amazing if any one of those things happened.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #24
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat View Post
No doubt... Huge.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #25
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
Get your pipe ready.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Get your pipe ready.
So you actually "expect" these things to happen but think Newman at FS is crazy? OK.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #27
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
So you actually "expect" these things to happen but think Newman at FS is crazy? OK.
Yes, I know that Newman at FS is crazy. Point-by-point, please breakdown all of the players I mentioned and tell me why every single one of them aren't aren't possibilities. Those are the things I would do. I expect that at least one of them is done, which was in reference to the "pipe-dream" comment.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #28
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

to clear up a few things, a) i meant the whole thing was a pipe dream, not just one of the things, and b) i don't doubt TNew could play the FS position, but I do wonder if he has the weight to sustain the physicality of the position. I think he'd be a good option at FS/SS in a nickel package against teams who use spread formations frequently, though.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #29
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
to clear up a few things, a) i meant the whole thing was a pipe dream, not just one of the things, and b) i don't doubt TNew could play the FS position, but I do wonder if he has the weight to sustain the physicality of the position. I think he'd be a good option at FS/SS in a nickel package against teams who use spread formations frequently, though.
Thanks for the clarification, man. I agree with your thinking on using him as a safety in nickel packages. That would probably mean that they would have added a few pieces to their secondary, which I am all in favor of.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #30
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys going after Rob Ryan (Rex's twin brother / The Dude lookalike) for defensive coordinator?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #31
ribosoma
Golden Member

My only question is, are foot fetishes genetic?
Old 01-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #32
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My only question is, are foot fetishes genetic?
I hope so - maybe he can help our special teams coach figure out how to fix Buehler...

Old 01-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #33
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I hope so - maybe he can help our special teams coach figure out how to fix Buehler...

touche'
Old 01-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #34
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think it could be as simple as "if you miss this kick, I am locking your naked feet in a room with my brother for 30 minutes."

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:41 AM   #35
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Came across this nugget in a blog post about NFL coaches breaking out of the traditional way of thinking to play the percentages:

The third bit of evidence is no doubt the strongest. After Ken Kovash and I wrote that paper on football, the Dallas Cowboys hired him! (Ken follows in the footsteps of another of my former students, Mike Zarren, who is the stats guy for the Celtics.) I’m happy to report that the Cowboys ratio of passes to runs jumped far more than the league average, so maybe they are even listening to him.

Using advanced stats in football is a relatively new phenomenon and seems to require more judgement than basketball and baseball. Still, it's encouraging to see the organization on the forefront of the movement.

here's the link if anyone's interested: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.co...=Google+Reader

Last edited by dirno2000; 01-20-2011 at 01:42 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #36
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If Rob is anything like Rex, we're gonna like it. This Jets defense is balls-out today.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

Not Cowboys-related, but there is no thread for NFL talk. Just wanted to say...the SMU kid Sanders is making his name known in the AFC title game!

Also, that I'm glad the Bears lost. I just realized that I have absolutely zero love for any of the Chicago teams. They are so dead to me. Plus, I hate Jay Cutler.

Very disappointed to see the Steelers up 17-0 here. I'm a big fan of what the Jets have done. Also, I would hate to see the Steelers win a Lombardi trophy in our building. That would add injury to insult.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #38
Underdog

The Steelers winning a Super Bowl in Dallas would certainly be adding insult to injury...

Go Packers!!!

(thank god Favre left Green Bay or I'd be wishing for an earthquake in Irving...)

Old 01-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #39
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
(thank god Favre left Green Bay or I'd be wishing for an earthquake in Irving...)
Then you'd just piss off Irvingers whilst still watching hell unfold in ARLINGTON!

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #40
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Then you'd just piss off Irvingers whilst still watching hell unfold in ARLINGTON!
Oh, yeah...

Well, we'd get them too!

Tags
theticket29cyborg, we win superballs now?