Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Haywood's problem is about the same as the dirksters. He is a good on ball defender but a pretty poor help defender. He also isn't a very good shot blocker because he is so slow off his feet, not a good pnr defender and doesn't play above the rim.

Other than that he's great.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Haywood's problem is about the same as the dirksters. He is a good on ball defender but a pretty poor help defender. He also isn't a very good shot blocker because he is so slow off his feet, not a good pnr defender and doesn't play above the rim.

You nailed it, and he also sometimes gets lazy and doesn't get under the basket to protect the rim. I defended this guy for most of the season, but he came up short this season when it really counted. I didn't hear of any new serious injury he was playing through. The 5 position can Not collapse like that because, then it puts even more pressure on Dirk.

Hard to gauge how much blame to put on the lockout in regards to a player's overall performance this season. All things considered, I'm 50/50 on Haywood. I just don't want to see the same type of playoff performance this time next year unless you can get an upgrade. I just don't see Ian taking us to the promised as the starting center until he learns to stop accumulating stupid fouls.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-10-2012 at 09:36 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Hard to gauge how much blame to put on the lockout in regards to a player's overall performance this season. All things considered, I'm 50/50 on Haywood. I just don't want to see the same type of playoff performance this time next year unless you can get an upgrade. I just don't see Ian taking us to the promised as the starting center until he learns to stop accumulating stupid fouls.
True...but...Ian may cost us a few points per game with stupid fouls, but at least he doesn't cost us 5-6 points per game from the line, not to mention being so utterly awful at the line that we don't even play him when the game is close. I really hope the next FT attempt I see from Brendan Haywood comes after he is fouled by a Dallas Maverick.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
True...but...Ian may cost us a few points per game with stupid fouls, but at least he doesn't cost us 5-6 points per game from the line, not to mention being so utterly awful at the line that we don't even play him when the game is close. I really hope the next FT attempt I see from Brendan Haywood comes after he is fouled by a Dallas Maverick.
To be fair, Haywood shot 5-8 (63%) from the charity stripe in the 2012 playoffs...

Although Mahinmi shot 11-13 (85%), so we obviously have better options when it comes to offense.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
To be fair, Haywood shot 5-8 (63%) from the charity stripe in the 2012 playoffs...

Although Mahinmi shot 11-13 (85%), so we obviously have better options when it comes to offense.
Haywood shot 47% from the line for the regular season, which is much more indicative of his ability there than a small sample from the playoffs (5-8 means he hit one more than you'd expect out of those 8, which I chalk up to randomness and not any improvement on his part).

And don't get me started on our Starting Center attempting 8 FTs in 4 games. That's pathetic.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post

Yea, he also has a tendency to think he's an offensive player. He gets the ball and thinks, "here's my time to show them what I have." He usually shows what he doesn't have, but that doesn't stop him from trying it again. Most centers of his skill set know enough to get the ball in someone else's hands--anyone!

I would almost prefer if he just alerts the team in advance that he's going to turn the ball over so they can get back on defense, then he can just hand it to an opposing player. A controlled turnover.

Last edited by jacktruth; 05-10-2012 at 10:01 AM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

no more 'wood please...
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffViggiano View Post
no more 'wood please...
That's what she said...?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
That's what she said...?
"that's what" - she
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote