Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-22-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another big King's aquisition

Kings Sign Tony Massenburg

SACRAMENTO, CA ---- The Sacramento Kings today signed veteran center-forward Tony Massenburg to a contract. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“Tony is a veteran big man who can play the forward and center positions and has a comfort zone of playing in the paint,” said Kings President, Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie. “He has been a solid contributor throughout his NBA career.”

“I’m excited, happy to be part of this first-class organization,” Massenburg said. “I’m looking forward to going to the playoffs and just doing what I can to help this team go as far as possible.”

Massenburg, a 6-9, 250-pound center-forward, is entering his 12th NBA season. Sacramento will be his 12th different NBA team. After signing with the Utah Jazz on December 15, 2002, Massenburg averaged 4.7 ppg (.448 FG%, .774 FT%) and 2.7 rpg in 58 appearances with the Jazz last season. In his only start of the season, Massenburg scored a season-high 20 points, connecting on 7-of-12 from the field and making all six of his free throw attempts on March 16, 2003 at Cleveland.

Drafted in the second round (43rd overall) of the 1990 NBA Draft by the San Antonio Spurs, Massenburg is averaging 7.0 ppg (.476 FG%, .698 FT%) and 4.9 rpg in 505 games spanning 11 seasons. His 11 previous NBA stops include San Antonio (1990-91 and 1991-92), Charlotte (1991-92), Boston (1991-92), Golden State (1991-92), L.A. Clippers (1994-95), Toronto (1995-96), Philadelphia (1995-96), New Jersey (1996-97), Vancouver (1997-98 – 1998-99 and 2000-01 – 2001-02), Houston (1999-00), and Utah (2002-03). Massenburg had his best statistical season in 1998-99 when he averaged 11.2 points and 6.0 rebounds a game for the Vancouver Grizzlies. In the previous season with Vancouver, Massenburg tallied a career-high 34 points and a game-high 12 rebounds against the Kings at ARCO Arena on April 19, 1998. Massenburg played with current Kings guard Mike Bibby for two seasons (1998-99 and 2000-01) with the Grizzlies.

Old 08-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #2
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Another Big King's Aquisition

hey evilmav, i saw you over at kingsfans.com trying to set them straight on the mavs...you had some great posts, but they were being obnoxious and not listening.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:41 PM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

There are some really good posters over there (good mods too), but there are also a lot of bitter folks who hate the Mavs because we knocked them out of last year's playoffs, and who just generally don't react very well toward the fans of other teams...

It's sort of funny, that most of the more active posters on this site are a bit prone to tear the Mavs down and often react to every Mavs setback hyper-critically, whereas on Kingsfans a lot of their folks are always "rah rah" and are generally extremely forgiving of the numerous suspect personel and salary decisions made by the Kings (read: Bibby's contract, the Keon debacle, flushing all of their depth down the toilet for salary cap reasons, etc...)_

By the same token, most of the fans on D-M are pretty welcoming to fans of other teams, and although many of their posters and the mods don't mind other points of view expressed on K-F, quite a number of other posters will swarm whenever someone comes on board who expresses any view that doesn't pay homage to their belief that the King's are destined for, and entitled to, a championship (We almost beat the Lakers! We would have won last year if Webber hadn't been hurt!).

It is still the best site to pick up good news and opinions on Sacramento though...
Old 08-22-2003, 04:45 PM   #4
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

i agree with your assessment of their site...they are a whole lot more blindly optimistic than we are here, but it is the best kings site around.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:51 PM   #5
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of
Default Another Big King's Aquisition

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
but it is the best kings site around.
Is that a complement or an indication of the sad state of Kings discussion boards?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:11 PM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I saw the "Mavericks all the way Thread," and they are predicting the team to get knocked out in the first round. None of them had a reason why, but they said it.

And one of the called the Kings "defensively elite." Yeah, i would call letting another team set an offensive record in the playoffs on them elite.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:35 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mandyahl
hey evilmav, i saw you over at kingsfans.com trying to set them straight on the mavs...you had some great posts, but they were being obnoxious and not listening.
If you thought that was something, read what Dirk41, *hint hint* had to say in the NBA section.

The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 07:01 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a good signing for the Kings. I don't question much of what Petrie does. He's done a good job at signing guys that fill a need and play a certain role. I have no doubt that Massenburg can contribute to an already solid Kings team.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:48 PM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Nash13 took one for the team on Kings-Fan today...

Upon encountering Nash's well argued defense of Dirk, the masters of K-F proceeded to ban his highly articulate and convincing alter-ego[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. Strong, good arguments on that thread, Nash...
Old 08-23-2003, 12:24 AM   #10
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Yes, I have enjoyed reading evil's posts as well over on kingsfans.com. Brick seems to be a good open minded mod there, vladefan is a little less so, but both are active and make for interesting reading.

I am glad you set them straight about their overinflated opinions of NVE being the savior of our team. I agree that he played very well in the playoffs, but as Murph puts it "he is a 40% shooter for a reason, he misses 60% of the time." [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I haven't seen Nash13's posts yet, but I am heading over there right now. I know Dirk41's posts will be entertaining too. [img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 12:45 AM   #11
NVDA

NVDA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavs Rule
Yes, I have enjoyed reading evil's posts as well over on kingsfans.com. Brick seems to be a good open minded mod there, vladefan is a little less so, but both are active and make for interesting reading.

I am glad you set them straight about their overinflated opinions of NVE being the savior of our team. I agree that he played very well in the playoffs, but as Murph puts it "he is a 40% shooter for a reason, he misses 60% of the time." [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I haven't seen Nash13's posts yet, but I am heading over there right now. I know Dirk41's posts will be entertaining too. [img]i/expressions/devil.gif[/img]
Kingsfan mod Bricklayer is more levelheaded, despite the fact that I disagree with just about anything he says. However, Vladefan21 hasn't got a clue. She should be put out of her misery.
NVDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 11:50 AM   #12
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

NBA Notes: Veteran Massenburg signs with Kings

By Scott Howard-Cooper -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 a.m. PDT Saturday, August 23, 2003

The Kings, moving to replenish their frontcourt depth, signed journeyman free agent Tony Massenburg to a one-year deal Friday.
A veteran of 11 previous seasons and 11 franchises, including the Utah Jazz last season, Massenburg is most comfortable as a power forward but has played center at 6-foot-9, 250 pounds.

Massenburg also had advanced conversations with the Dallas Mavericks, until their trade with the Golden State Warriors, and the Minnesota Timberwolves before finalizing a deal with Sacramento.

"It was a pretty easy decision for me," he said. "I wanted to go someplace where I would win and have a chance to win a title. They play a style of basketball I like. They run, and the guys play off each other."
The signing puts the roster at 12 and gives the Kings the reserve big man they had been seeking after trading Scot Pollard to the Indiana Pacers and Keon Clark to Utah, where, ironically, he will get some of Massenburg's minutes.

Massenburg's ability to play both interior spots is a bonus behind the primary rotation of Chris Webber and Brad Miller at power forward and Miller and Vlade Divac at center, with Lawrence Funderburke and rookie Darius Songaila contending with Massenburg for available minutes at power forward.

Massenburg was originally a second-round pick by the San Antonio Spurs in 1990.

His best statistical season was 1998-99, when he averaged 11.2 points and six rebounds a game for the Vancouver Grizzlies, one season after he came to Arco Arena and had a career-high 34 points against the Kings.

Old 08-23-2003, 12:29 PM   #13
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Not a big deal.

A player who has been in 11 (12 now) teams in 11 years has nothing in his bag.

And his statistics show nothing great. Nothing to be worried about.

IMO.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:58 PM   #14
Raviadso

Raviadso is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Not a big deal.

A player who has been in 11 (12 now) teams in 11 years has nothing in his bag.

And his statistics show nothing great. Nothing to be worried about.

IMO.
Exactly what Im thinking. He'll be an above average 2nd string player that won't tip the power balance any.
Raviadso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:06 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I like Massenburg. I thoguht he backed up Malone pretty well last season. It's not huge but you better believe this guy is going to contribute. Kings aren't just looking for players to fill up the roster. I thought the same about JJ last season. He is no Chris Webber but he is a pretty good backup to a guy like Webb or a Malone. He is somewhat a banger.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:13 PM   #16
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Tony Massenburg should definitely be able to compete with Songaila for the King's starting power forward postition...
Old 08-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #17
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Let the Kings be blinded by their success. :-)