Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #521
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
I've seen some mention on PHX message board (and earlier in the week in some sports column somewhere..) of packaging Marion with the Atlanta pick and another player for Kevin Garnett.

Anyone else heard anything?
I heard Kevin Garnett sucks in the playoffs. Nash hasn't done that much either.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #522
pkdumas
Golden Member

pkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to allpkdumas is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchen39
Magic must feel like a tool now after calling out Dirk not able to will his team like Little Stevie.... oops.
And he has HIV.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #523
pkdumas
Golden Member

Nash is crying on ESPN right now. It's cute.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #524
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

bullllllshiiiiiiiit!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #525
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I've seen some mention on PHX message board (and earlier in the week in some sports column somewhere..) of packaging Marion with the Atlanta pick and another player for Kevin Garnett.
Haven't heard anything but doesn't KG get paid around the 25 mill a year range? Suns are going to have to give up a lot to get KG. Possibly Diaw and Marion and that ATL pick. Even then I don't believe contracts match within atleast 25%.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:17 AM   #526
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdumas

That's kinda sad, actually.

On a personal level, he seems like a really good guy.

I only root against because he's wearing the wrong uniform.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #527
pkdumas
Golden Member

Quote:
I only root against because he's wearing the wrong uniform.

And it was his choice. It was his choice a bit more than it was Cuban's. You don't quit on your best pal for a few more million bucks. Especially to play with Amare "black jesus" Stoudemire.

Last edited by pkdumas; 05-19-2007 at 12:19 AM.
pkdumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:19 AM   #528
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What's he crying about?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:20 AM   #529
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Haven't heard anything but doesn't KG get paid around the 25 mill a year range? Suns are going to have to give up a lot to get KG. Possibly Diaw and Marion and that ATL pick. Even then I don't believe contracts match within atleast 25%.
Their salaries are not that far apart. Garnett is making 22 mil, and Marion is making 16.4. Phoenix has plenty of mid-level contracts that would make up the difference. I don't know if this has any legs, or if its just an rumor mill pipedream - but I thought I'd mention it.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 05-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #530
mary
Troll Hunter

nvm.

Last edited by mary; 05-19-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:22 AM   #531
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Their salaries are not that far apart. Garnett is making 22 mil, and Marion is making 16.4. Phoenix has plenty of mid-level contracts that would make up the difference. I don't know if this has any legs, or if its just an rumor mill pipedream - but I thought I'd mention it.
Well phoenix has the draft picks they would want (if I were them). Don't really care about mario, but 3 first rounders yup...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 05-19-2007, 12:23 AM   #532
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I heard Kevin Garnett sucks in the playoffs. Nash hasn't done that much either.
If a team with KG, Barbosa, Nash and Amare still managed to suck in the playoffs frankly they don't even deserve to be in the NBA. Amare is a beast.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:24 AM   #533
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

One problem with offense-oriented teams that have skilled players at every position is... every player demands and subsequently gets big pay. Add up and they quickly bump you way over the cap. Fearing the LT, owners will be forced to dismantle the team if they don't start winning titles.

Bottom line, although Suns are a fine team... it's tough for Sarver to keep the core together for too long!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:24 AM   #534
cchen39

cchen39 is on a distinguished road

If the Suns do trade away Marion, I think Dirk will benefit more than what the Suns receives in return for Marion. On an individual basis, I dont think there's another player give Dirk more fits than Marion defensively due to his length and athleticism.
cchen39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:27 AM   #535
pkdumas
Golden Member

Quote:
Amare is a beast.
Except for in the clutch.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:28 AM   #536
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
And it was his choice. It was his choice a bit more than it was Cuban's. You don't quit on your best pal for a few more million bucks. Especially to play with Amare "black jesus" Stoudemire.
Especially to play with Amare lol? He's a 1st team All NBA'er. Nash probably felt playing for the Suns was his best chance to win. If he had decided to play for the Mavs just so he can be with his "best pal" then i'd call him a loser. He should want to win 1st. His decision isn't looking too bad right now. His team made it around later then the Mavs did which means nothing because you only have 1 winner in a NBA season. And let's not sit here and talk like we were upset Nash left. Now its easy to say we made a mistake but I seem to remember lots of Mavs fans thinking it was a good move by Cuban because Nash couldn't play defense and was breaking down.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #537
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Except for in the clutch.
Didn't he hit a 3 in the clutch tonight? I mean what exactly is "in the clutch"? He's a player who plays in the paint. I think the Suns rely more on Barbosa or Nash to make things happen in the clutch or they did in this series. Amare's still young. His play in the clutch will eventually come along as he gets older.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:32 AM   #538
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Nash didn't play the greatest for the first half of this game or so but he was really bringint it in the 4th. The Suns really have a problem with the Spurs and the window is closing, but they have so many assets to improve their team this summer. I can't think of a team in better position...well maybe the Bulls. I wouldn't be suprised to see them put a package together for KG.

The Spurs look very solid. You can tell that Duncan isn't bothered with the foot problem this year. Look at his defense......
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:38 AM   #539
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Series MVP: Cheap Shot Rob
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:40 AM   #540
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Has anyone ever seen a team defend the pick and roll as well as the Spurs? And the most notable thing is when a Suns player would finally get past a Spurs player indivually there would always be someone to help out and by the time you find someone to pass to the Spurs have already switched and rotated so now there's no one open. Some probably will say the Suns lost the series with the suspensions but I honestly don't think the Suns ever stood a chance. There series was so good though I would've loved to have seen a game 7.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:40 AM   #541
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

People are going to say that about the suspensions, but hey, the Suns lost game one @ home....
Old 05-19-2007, 12:41 AM   #542
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Series MVP: Cheap Shot Rob
Duncan>>>Cheap Shot Rob.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:43 AM   #543
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
People are going to say that about the suspensions, but hey, the Suns lost game one @ home....
And also lost a 16 point lead in Game 5. Aside from the bone head decisions by Diaw and Amare all they have to blame is themselves.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:58 AM   #544
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Boy this would scare the hell out of me. Because a deal with Marion, Diaw, and a high first rounder doesn't look too bad from a Minnesota perspective. And if the Suns somehow got Nash, Amare, and KG on the same team, I'd have a hard time betting against that team. That's three top ten players right there.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:59 AM   #545
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Duncan>>>Cheap Shot Rob.
Yeah, I think this series proved that Duncan is still the best player in the game when he decides to turn it on.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 05-19-2007, 01:02 AM   #546
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Boy this would scare the hell out of me. Because a deal with Marion, Diaw, and a high first rounder doesn't look too bad from a Minnesota perspective. And if the Suns somehow got Nash, Amare, and KG on the same team, I'd have a hard time betting against that team. That's three top ten players right there.
Throw in two first rounders and I do it. Marion/Diaw aren't going to do anything for minnie that garnett won't do.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:03 AM   #547
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Its definately scary. Amare and KG in the paint is scary alone but then you have Nash playing point and Barbosa possibly off the bench or starting? Then they have their two 1st rounders and mind you this draft is gonna be one of the deepest in years. If i'm the Wolves I don't see how I pass up Diaw, Marion and ATL's pick. It all matters how high that ATL pick is though. For the Suns sake they better hope its in the 4-10 range.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:05 AM   #548
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Marion/Diaw aren't going to do anything for minnie that garnett won't do.
Well I think its Atlanta's pick is what does the trick. I don't see how the T-Wolves get a better offer. Two great role players in Marion and Diaw and a lottery pick.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:05 AM   #549
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Its definately scary. Amare and KG in the paint is scary alone but then you have Nash playing point and Barbosa possibly off the bench or starting? Then they have their two 1st rounders and mind you this draft is gonna be one of the deepest in years. If i'm the Wolves I don't see how I pass up Diaw, Marion and ATL's pick. It all matters how high that ATL pick is though. For the Suns sake they better hope its in the 4-10 range.
I still don't get it. At the end of the day what does minnie have that they don't now? It's not a championship team? It's not even one that has a top 5 player. ??
Old 05-19-2007, 01:06 AM   #550
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. Marion? Unless KG demands it, Minn won't let up for that. Would need both firsts.

Amare might get it done though. In KG, you get someone who might play TD to a push and Marion can still do his thing which makes PHX runrunrun.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:07 AM   #551
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Is the talk about Small Ball being championship style ball 6 feet deep?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:12 AM   #552
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I still don't get it. At the end of the day what does minnie have that they don't now? It's not a championship team? It's not even one that has a top 5 player. ??
Minnie needs to be in rebuilding mode. Seriously, they've got a bunch of crap surrounding Garnett and will never be able to build a winner while he is there. This trade for them shouldn't be about what makes them better next year, it's what makes them better in the long run. They need all the youth that they can get. Snagging a top 5 pick in the draft in addition to the already high first rounder they have would be great for Minny. And while it's not a huge age gap, Marion is two years younger than Garnett. Of course, Minny does have a little leverage here, and they should definitely try to pry another first rounder away from Phoenix.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 05-19-2007, 01:19 AM   #553
dude1394
Guru

We have a top 5 pick on our team as well??? For me to trade a franchise player like garnett I've got to have some serious dough, serious dough. Surely more than 1 first round pick, that's for sure.

Marion is interesting, but Diaw stunk it up this year. In fact if he wasn't in dan tone and e's system, he might be deep on a bench somewhere.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:27 AM   #554
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
We have a top 5 pick on our team as well??? For me to trade a franchise player like garnett I've got to have some serious dough, serious dough. Surely more than 1 first round pick, that's for sure.

Marion is interesting, but Diaw stunk it up this year. In fact if he wasn't in dan tone and e's system, he might be deep on a bench somewhere.
Hey, I'm no Phoenix fanboy, Lord knows I hate the Suns. I hate them so much I was cheering for the Spurs in this series. But honestly, I think the Timberwolves should take a deal where they can get a top 5-ish draft pick in this very deep draft in addition to an all-star like Marion. They should be rebuilding, unless they somehow land a top 2 pick, then maybe they can try to make a run with Garnett and Oden/Durant. That means you take all the lottery picks you can get. Diaw is a throw-in, but not a bad one if someone can light a fire under his rear.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 05-19-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:36 AM   #555
dude1394
Guru

I don't necessarily agree they should be rebuilding by trading garnett. But if we take that as the hypothesis, what you are offering isn't enough. It doesn't make them bad enough to get more picks. If the #5 isn't a franchise player they are stuck in mediocrity. I'd rather take diaw and all of the suns picks (if they have 3 as I think I heard).

If I'm rebuilding I'm tearing it straight to the ground. Maybe if I thought that their foye guy was all that I might, but if he is then he and garnett should be pretty salty.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:54 AM   #556
FINtastic
Diamond Member

I seriously doubt Foye and Garnett will ever be competing for championships. Foye may turn into a decent little player, but I wouldn't be feeling good enough about Foye to pin my hopes and dreams on him. Plus, this sounds crazy because it seems like not too long ago that he was drafted out of high school, but Garnett's window is closing. He's 31 right now, and with all the miles he's put on his body, he's got maybe 3 or 4 more years of being a franchise player. Minnesota can waste those good years in mediocrity, and then watch his trade value plummet, or they can make a move to get some good value out of him while they can.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 05-19-2007, 02:02 AM   #557
pkdumas
Golden Member

Quote:
Didn't he (Amare) hit a 3 in the clutch tonight? I mean what exactly is "in the clutch"?
What is "in the clutch"????? Listen to this ass-clown. Son, the clutch is late in a a close game. I didn't even see the Amare three, but if he hit one, it was a freakin blowout already. NOT clutch.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:06 AM   #558
pkdumas
Golden Member

Quote:
Especially to play with Amare lol? He's a 1st team All NBA'er. Nash probably felt playing for the Suns was his best chance to win. If he had decided to play for the Mavs just so he can be with his "best pal" then i'd call him a loser. He should want to win 1st. His decision isn't looking too bad right now. His team made it around later then the Mavs did which means nothing because you only have 1 winner in a NBA season. And let's not sit here and talk like we were upset Nash left. Now its easy to say we made a mistake but I seem to remember lots of Mavs fans thinking it was a good move by Cuban because Nash couldn't play defense and was breaking down.
1. Amare is 3rd team NBA, at best. without nash.
2. If Nash felt his best chance was with the Suns, he must regret it now.
3. Chemistry is everything. Play with your pals.
4. He didn't win 1st. Dirk's Mavs have done more than Nash's Suns.
5. It was a good move now. Nash still can't play defense and just like when he was a Mav, he gets beat to shit in the playoffs and BREAKS DOWN.
6. And he's a traitor.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:07 AM   #559
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
What is "in the clutch"????? Listen to this ass-clown. Son, the clutch is late in a a close game. I didn't even see the Amare three, but if he hit one, it was a freakin blowout already. NOT clutch.
I'm pretty sure Amare had some big baskets when Phoenix was making their run at the end (like that wicked dunk down the lane). If 38 and 12 in an elimination game is "not clutch", then I'm not really sure what you are looking for.

P.S. I agree with a few of your above points, but not this one.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 05-19-2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:14 AM   #560
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The only trade talk for Garnett that I've heard has included Amare, not Marion. That makes a lot more sense to me.

Garnett and Amare wouldn't really work real well on the floor at the same time, they play the same position and play a VERY similar game at that.

Amare to Minnesota would require less filler to get KG, and would make more sense fore the Suns, imo, except that Marion is already being overshadowed by Nash. Imagine what KG being there too might do to his psyche.

The Suns will make a major move of some kind this offseason, I think.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote