Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-18-2002, 07:08 AM   #41
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

Jordan is playing SF with the Wiz and he NOT playing 48 minutes. He is playing 30 something. Courtney should be getting at least 10 minutes from that spot alone and he should be getting about 10 minutes as a SG, also. He's not. I wonder why that is?! He came into the league as about a 24 year old rookie after being billed as NBA ready. Now two NBA vet coaches in a row seem to have reached the same conclusion. Surely Collins has reached his opinion independently of Nelson. Do they BOTH not relate well to the mid twenties black man?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2002, 08:06 AM   #42
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

There is really no argument here, Courtney showed what he could do with minutes last year. Last year after the trade he averaged like 17 points, and had like a season high 33 against the Raptors. Now he is stuck behind Michael Jordan, Richard Hamilton, Hubert Davis AND Ty Nesby who IMO won the game for them vs the Suns. He came up with some big shots and a double double, especially the put back on the MJ miss with under a minute to go. All those guys are proven vets, including Rip Hamilton who is a HUGE part of that teams sucess. So who's minutes is he supposed to get David? Here he was behind Michael Finley and..................? It is no doubt the kid should've gotten some PT here, yet Nellie put him in some and din't put him in at other times. If that wont break a kids confidence knowing he should be getting minutes, than I don't know what will. With the Wizards he's playing behind MUCH MUCH MUCH more talent than he was when playing here for the Mavs. He's playing behind the best 2/3 punch in the game. That is exactly the 2 positions he plays. Behind those 2 starters are Vets like Hubert Davis and Ty Nesby. There's no argument there now is it David? He has shown what he could do given the minutes, he will get his chance to play again.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:19 AM   #43
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

But your argument falters when you fail to realize that Alexander was ahead of those guys in the rotation last year (except Jordan). Courtney clearly has issues with playing a team game. Last year was fun - no responsibilities except scoring. This year is work and he is not doing the work to earn any PT.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:35 AM   #44
Joe Joe
Banned

Yes he was ahead of those guys for the simple FACT that they were hurt. Yes Rip, Hubert, and Ty Nesby were all hurt for a good portion of last year. CA got some starts along with Rip at times cause Nesby was hurt, Whitney was out a good while too. They didn't have Ty Lue at that time, so CA played because he had to play big minutes. Collins wants to go with Vets you really can't fault him there. Nellie had no excuses to play the guy, instead of forcing Fin to play 40 something minutes a game. He had Finley at the 3, and I really can't remember who was playing the 2. All I know is they wasn't playing 48 minutes and CA shouldv'e gotten minutes there. He got some minutes there, and some games he didn't move off the bench. That's the basis of my arguument, CA shouldv'e gotten minutes there. He's playing behind 4 players now, when I can only remember 1 maybe 2 that he shouldv'e been playing behind last season with the Mavs. This is just my opinion, and I know everyone do not agree.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:37 AM   #45
Joe Joe
Banned

Yes he was ahead of those guys for the simple FACT that they were hurt. Yes Rip, Hubert, and Ty Nesby were all hurt for a good portion of last year. CA got some starts along with Rip at times cause Nesby was hurt, Whitney was out a good while too. They didn't have Ty Lue at that time, so CA played because he had to play big minutes. Collins wants to go with Vets you really can't fault him there. Nellie had no excuses to play the guy, instead of forcing Fin to play 40 something minutes a game. He had Finley at the 3, and I really can't remember who was playing the 2. All I know is they wasn't playing 48 minutes and CA shouldv'e gotten minutes there. He got some minutes there, and some games he didn't move off the bench. That's the basis of my arguument, CA shouldv'e gotten minutes there. He's playing behind 4 players now, when I can only remember 1 maybe 2 that he shouldv'e been playing behind last season with the Mavs. This is just my opinion, and I know everyone do not agree.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:39 AM   #46
Joe Joe
Banned

Sorry for the double post.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:39 PM   #47
David
Golden Member

The Wizards WANTED Courtney Alexander in the Howard trade. That was pre-Jordan coming back.

He was deemed NBA ready right out of college. A 24 year old rookie. If he's not ready to play, I don't know who is. Nelson WANTED to rest Finley some but for some reason, he didn't trust Courtney. I saw all kinds of athleticism, myself, but I also saw a guy shooting out of the flow of the offense and not playing any defense.

Nelson tells a guy how he wants him to play and if he doesn't, he doesn't reward him with playing time, he sits him. After a while, he puts him back in and gives him another chances and the process starts over again. The guy either "gets it" or he doesn't. That's why Courtney was playing and then sitting. He wasn't "getting it".

Then, to get Howard, they traded Courtney.

Nesby and Hubert are excuses for Courtney not getting any playing time? Not from where I sit. If Courtney is a player, Collins (and Jordan) will play him over THOSE guys. Apparently, Courtney still doesn't "get it". THAT'S why he isn't playing, not because of Nesby and Hubie. ROTFLMAO. Players play. A coach will play a player. Their jobs depend on it.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:40 PM   #48
David
Golden Member

The Wizards WANTED Courtney Alexander in the Howard trade. That was pre-Jordan coming back.

He was deemed NBA ready right out of college. A 24 year old rookie. If he's not ready to play, I don't know who is. Nelson WANTED to rest Finley some but for some reason, he didn't trust Courtney. I saw all kinds of athleticism, myself, but I also saw a guy shooting out of the flow of the offense and not playing any defense.

Nelson tells a guy how he wants him to play and if he doesn't, he doesn't reward him with playing time, he sits him. After a while, he puts him back in and gives him another chances and the process starts over again. The guy either "gets it" or he doesn't. That's why Courtney was playing and then sitting. He wasn't "getting it".

Then, to get Howard, they traded Courtney.

Nesby and Hubert are excuses for Courtney not getting any playing time? Not from where I sit. If Courtney is a player, Collins (and Jordan) will play him over THOSE guys. Apparently, Courtney still doesn't "get it". THAT'S why he isn't playing, not because of Nesby and Hubie. ROTFLMAO. Players play. A coach will play a player. Their jobs depend on it.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:42 PM   #49
David
Golden Member

Sorry for the duplicate posts. When I hit the reply button, it said the document contained no message so I hit reply again. My bad.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:18 PM   #50
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

you're right david..if courtney was ready to play and had the right mindset to go with his athleticism, he'd be getting minutes..but he obviously isn't ready to play or he would be getting more time on that team....
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:48 PM   #51
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Alexander = Stackhouse. Neither one of them will be a star for a winning team.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:57 PM   #52
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, = in certain aspects...but CA won't even be a star on a bad team.. hell, he probably won't even be a consistant starter on a bad team
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:46 PM   #53
David
Golden Member

<< Alexander = Stackhouse. Neither one of them will be a star for a winning team. >>

Courtney wishes he were Stackhouse. If he were that polished, he'd be playing but he isn't. Stackhouse was the next Jordan at one time and a higher draft choice originally than Courtney. It took him a while to reach his stride and he was traded too. Courtney has the talent to be playing big minutes but there is a problem there and I'm not sure exactly what it is.