Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-12-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New vs More New

Since FA is a little slow now, and we're obviously in the swing of the SL, I wanted to make a little debate. I decided to do a little breakdown of the potential battles we're running into with the end of the roster battles, and get all of your thoughts.

Bass vs Fazekas:
Bass is going to give you an inside presence. If you want a small comparison to a current player, Jason Maxiell. Undersized, but he can leave an impact on the game. If he could max out his potential I liked the comparison they made on the last SL game to Barkley...that's a big max out, but it's possible with more effort. He doesn't have the outside game, but he doesn't really need a lot of it. He also has NBA experience already, not much...but some is better than none.

Fazekas is potentially going to give you something in the mold of Laettner meets KVH. He is a smart, crafty big man with the ability to hit the jumper. He'll drag out centers/power forwards and help open up the lane for the rest of the team. He is a confident guy as well, but it looks like he'll need time to adapt to the game. But if/when he does, he'll be a better than average player...very serviceable in the league.

Outcome: I would take Bass, based on we've tried the similar to Dirk route multiple times and it's never really panned out. Bass looks like more of an Avery "player" as well. Based on those past examples, Avery wasn't comfortable playing them...so why is this one different?
------------------------------------------------

Tucker vs Ager:
Ager is very touch and go. If his jumper is going, then that helps trigger his activity. If it's not going, he is invisible on the court. I think he's somewhat regressing as the SL is going on, and that's not a good sign. I do like what he COULD bring to the table in the long run, I'm just hoping it can actually work.

Tucker is a pure shooter. It seems like every time he's shooting the ball in the SL, it's has a pretty good chance of going in. The stats aren't necessarily going to suggest that, but it just seems like more often than not, it's going in for him. He's very confident and it's a nice weapon to have. I don't think he adds more to the game, compared to Ager but that jumper really does boost Tucker's value. We're in need of a shooter, and he fills that role.

Outcome: I'd have to make it as a push. I can't really pick one. Ager hasn't done himself enough yet to really win me over this summer. There just isn't enough consistency to his game. If Tucker showed more, I think I'd be more inclined to pick him. If I had my way, I'd probably take BOTH of the next two.
---------------------------------------

Terry vs Pops
Terry is really showing some athleticism so far and he is showing effort on the defensive side of the court. He has the ability to bring action on offense, but it hasn't clicked yet. If he can add the spot-up open 3 ball, and smart slashing to the basket he will be set. He's a young Bruce Bowen starter-kit.

Pops is a freak, but the best kind. His game is starting to catch up to his abilities, as mentioned in the last game. He will get your rebounds and hustle on both sides of the court. I can't picture him right now as a 4, but he would be a terrific 3 in the long run. He needs to get more smooth with his ball-handling and a 15-foot jumper.

Outcome: Since I see them both as 3s, that causes a problem. You have two very different players and they both fill a good long-term need. If you can make Terry more of a 2, that will work. Otherwise, it's a push. I wouldn't want to see either of them go.

What do you guys think?
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

I really have expectations of Pops but not of Avery's use of young guys...