Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-18-2002, 07:47 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Dirk
1b. Nash
3. Finley
4. Griff
4B. Howard
6. Hardaway
7. Bradley
8. Najera (right now..he's ahead of bradley..but, as the season goes on..i think that will change a bit..especially if the mavs don't acquire a pf/c before the trading deadline)
9. Wang (importance could go up as the season progresses)
10. Newman
everyone else..depends on what nellie feels for the night
11. EE (good for a few fouls at least)
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2002, 07:57 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

1) Dirk - he is a talent that only happens every once in awhile.

2) Nash - becoming an elite point guard.

3) Finley - steady and dependable.

4) Howard - his rebounding is better than any point in his career.

5) Hardaway - a cold-blooded shooter.

6) Najera - the energy the Mavs need.

7) Griffin - the defensive stopper. He'd be ranked higher except he has missed a few games.

8) Wang - solid offensive player with absolutely no idea on how to play defense.

9) Buckner - I'm going to miss him, this is probably his last year here.

10) Newman - effective for an old fart ain't he?

11) Bradley - wish he was playing better

12) Eschmeyer - the BWS
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:00 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, i can see your point with griff..however, he's amazing defensively now that he's been back consistently...and with bradley..well,he's gonna have to rank in the top 7 if the mavs dont' make a move..like i said, this is based upon his value at playoff time (hopefully he'll step up)

Old 02-18-2002, 08:12 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually thought Griff's defense has slacked off since his last injury. The steals are still there but his man has been scoring a lot more than early in the season.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:18 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

well, i have noticed a few instances..but as a whole, i have thought that he's still been the best defender on the court for the mavs (although that's not saying much)
and most of the time, he's one of the better in the league in my opinion.....

but you are right..i have seen him burned a bit more often..but, he's much better than anyone else the mavs have to throw out there defensively at the 2-guard spot
Old 02-18-2002, 10:49 PM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

1) Dirk
2) Nash
3) Finley
4) Najera
5) Griffin
6) Hardaway
7) Howard
8) Wang
9) EE
10) Bradley

That is how I see it right now. If Bradley shows passion again then he'll be moved into the top 5. Other than that, the rest stay as they are.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:53 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

1. Dirk
2. Nash
3. Finley
4. Griffin
5. Hardaway
6. Najera
7. Howard
8. Bradley
9. Wang
10. Evan E.
then the rest....

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 10:58 PM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I guess i'll be the first one to put Nash first. It's alittle more based off last year but it's clear that when Nash is out, the Mavs are a totally different team. And I don't mean different in a good way.

1. Nash
2. Dirk
3. Finley
4. Griffin
5. Hardaway
6. Najera
7. Howard
8. Evan
9. Wang
10. Manning

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 11:01 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

well, rob, i had dirk and nash tied for first..
basically, i don't think the mavs stand much of a chance to find success without dirk or nash..

they simply can't survive long without nash running the offense...but they also can't survive without dirk's rebounding and his scoring..
that's why they are the two most valuable players on this team
Old 02-18-2002, 11:06 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

I'd put Nash's value closer to Finley than Dirk. Dirk is unique. There aren't 6 players in the NBA that can do what Dirk does. There are 6 players at the point guard position that could replace Nash.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:22 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

well, mffl...part of the reason i rank nash close to dirk is because..quite simply, dirk hasn't gotten close to hitting his celing.. yes, he's unique, but he's also so young...he has the ability to be a top 1-3 player in the league someday..he's not there yet but he probably will be with his work ethic..
he's definitely unique..but nash is a very good point guard playing at a level that might suggest that this is almost as good as he's going to get.. i mean..look at what he's getting out of his skills... can we expect a significant amount of improvement?..he's already shooting 50% (almost)..he's already getting great shots and he's already as good as just about anyone at handling and dishing the ball
Old 02-19-2002, 01:21 AM   #12
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

1. Finley, Nash, Nowitski (in alphabetical order)
2. Everybody else.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:25 AM   #13
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

The Mavs have showed in the last few games who is most imp on this team. Nash is no doubt the player this team starts and ends with. Without Nash, this team would be battling for a playoff spot. So with that in mind, Nash is the start, beginning, and end of this team. The Mavs will only go as far as his strong shoulders will take them.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 12:07 PM   #14
dolemite220

dolemite220 is on a distinguished road

Nash is definitely #1. We've seen these last few games where he's struggled and so did the team.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:07 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

and you actually think this team would be good without dirk?
they would have no rebounding and would be without there top offensive threat....
it's a lose-lose situation..being without dirk or nash.....
Old 02-19-2002, 01:23 PM   #16
Joe Joe
Banned

I think they are a better team if they had Nash if either of them. Nash could easily step up his offense and the whole team can come together and pick up the slack. Rebounding? ummmm the Mavs don't have 1 good rebounder, they have a avg 7ft rebounder but to say they would have no rebounding is ridiculous. Dirk is good, no Dirk is more than good but this team begins and ends with Steve Nash. Without Nash, this team would barely if that make the playoffs. Without Dirk, this team would still make the playoffs at about the 4 or 5th spot.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:30 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

joe joe, that is ludicrous.
there's really no reason to even respond to that..it is purely shock value, nothing else

however, i will respond ..
without dirk...there's a chance they make the playoffs..maybe the 8th spot..and they make no noise whatsoever in the playoffs..

Old 02-19-2002, 01:36 PM   #18
Joe Joe
Banned

Obviously you agreed or is waiting to post 2 more consecutive replies cause you couldn't think of anything to say.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:42 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

joe joe..if you have some type of problem with the way i post...please take it to DJ or Rob.
otherwise, put it in the lounge so we can talk about the mavs in here.

thank you
Old 02-19-2002, 02:09 PM   #20
Joe Joe
Banned

What's your problem man, I am going to reply I just want to make sure you are done with the consecutive posts where I can reply to them all in 1 post. I have no problem with the way you post, just dont want to have to post numerous consecutive posts. No need to get hostile man, we're all here to talk Mavs. I just don't want to have to do it in cosecutive posts buddy, that's it.

Anyway, without Dirk the Mavs are in 4th or 5th spot, with Steve 8th maybe. When Finley went down, who kept this team together? Steve Nash did, the guy is truely amazing. If you haven't seen in the last few games that if Nash is not on, the team is not then you need to look closer man. Steve Nash is this team, it ALL starts and ends with him. Dirk is a super good player and a key piece to the puzzle, I have never denied that. I just know that Nash is what makes the Mavs go, and without him on his game the Mavs aren't on their game as a whole.