Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #81
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I've been thinking about it over the past week or so. If we're pushing to trade either Josh or Kidd (I'm not on board with trading Kidd), I'm putting my targets on someone like Kaman first. You clearly have your ideas set on what you need: you need a low-post threat or a shooter. Low post guys (effective ones) are harder to find, so if you can get it...you go for it. Kidd would find Kaman and maybe bring more pick and roll offense with a big that actually ends in the low post.
I'm wondering if there is anyway possible we can get David Lee from New York. It sounds like the Knicks have been shopping him a little bit. I'm a huge fan of his.

Names that I think could be had by this deadline who I think the Mavs will take a look at are:

David Lee
Corey Maggette
Jermaine Oneal
Shawn Marion
Chris Kaman
Marcus Camby
Stephen Jackson
Michael Redd
Mike Miller
Caron Butler??
Rashad McCants
Reymond Felton

I'mnot saying all those guys will be traded, but I do think all of them will be out there in terms of rumors and what not. I think the Mavs have the pieces to get some of these guys actually. Having huge expirings are big.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #82
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all
Default damp...

Don´t under-estimate the contract / value of Damp.

He´s a very moveable piece by now, too, WAY more interesting for teams than Diop.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #83
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post

Names that I think could be had by this deadline who I think the Mavs will take a look at are:

David Lee
Jermaine Oneal
Shawn Marion
Chris Kaman
Stephen Jackson
Michael Redd
Mike Miller
Reymond Felton
That would be my list...some of them are questionable, and some are probably unavailable.

I still really like Kaman off that list.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #84
BaylorTMW

BaylorTMW is on a distinguished road

I like this trade. Diop was not working out here, and I think this is a maximum return for him. We get a young center to replace his 10 minutes a game or so, and another shooter on the wings.

I would not be surprised if one of our wings (in addition to Stack) is on their way out as well...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #85
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Diop 5 years, 32.4million

Hollins is an expiring 900k
Carroll is 5 years, 20.8 million

we save some money but we take back Carroll who has only a slightly better contract. 5 years for a guy that is shooting 40.6%, 26.7% and 79%, though?!? Wow. People said they wanted a SG with size but Carroll may be more porous than Terry and he provides very little on the other side.

Hollins is a lifelong underperformer (at least in basketball-- he was good at the high jump.) who failed to make a splash in college and is thusfar failing in the NBA. After this year he may very well never see an NBA lockerroom.

We essentially save about 11 million and get no talent back. Since Diop wasn't playing/contributing its not a huge deal but it does make me wonder if we are transitioning into a rebuilding mode. I'm not adverse to it-- we either need to position ourselves to rebuild or we need to be aggressive about getting better.

Right now we are just sitting on a sub-par 9th seed team with a huge payroll.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-16-2009 at 07:54 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #86
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post

Yeah, this certainly isn't the trade that changes that...makes it a slightly less huge payroll over the next few years, but doesn't impact our mediocrity much.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #87
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Just curious - question for our CBA guys:

Can you pay a player more in a buyout than his original deal? Let´s say we agree to buyout Carrol at some point, and pay him the rest of his guaranteed contract plus something (2 mill or such), if he agrees to void the contract (and not exercise his option), when will he be off the books cap-wise? in the year of his original expiration or when the player option expires?

On his contract: it gets better by the year, so it´s at least not the complete horrorshake thingy.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #88
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
Yeah, this certainly isn't the trade that changes that...makes it a slightly less huge payroll over the next few years, but doesn't impact our mediocrity much.
Yeah, I think the 2 million or so we could be saving for 2010 might make a difference, but it's not going to do a lot...every little bit can help. If we keep making some moves here and there that lead towards 2010, then every deal added up can make a huge difference.

They're taking a shot with Carroll and Hollins, maybe he pans out as a nice bench option. Hollins is a very minimal risk and he can't be any worse than Diop, if so...it's at a much cheaper rate. Maybe Carroll can do something, and if he does, he becomes more of a steal as years go by, who knows.

I usually don't have the strongest faith in the FO (since the summer and etc), but I think they're going to make one big move before the deadline.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #89
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

WHO?

Is he suppose to be a skinny Bass?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #90
kappasigma

kappasigma will become famous soon enough

carroll will probably start a few games because Dallas will start ANY guard in hopes of finding a consistant player to play that roll. Carroll will probably start 4-5 games, then start coming off the bench for some minutes, then he will rack up a bunch of DNP-CD by the end of the season or perhaps some garbage time. hate to say this, but we're the new version of the the kings. the other guy will play about 3-6 minutes a game, probably about 14 games the rest of the season.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #91
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsdYoap5FYM

Looks pretty decent, he has his moments.
Before the highlight reel i was liking the trade... after, I'm LOVIN it!

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #92
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley View Post
I'll be sick if starts playing well again.
Of course he will. He just left the Mavericks. That's what they all do.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #93
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdubya View Post
Before the highlight reel i was liking the trade... after, I'm LOVIN it!
They showed the first two highlights at least twice. lol, lack of options?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #94
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Diop 5 years, 32.4million

Hollins is an expiring 900k
Carroll is 5 years, 20.8 million

we save some money but we take back Carroll who has only a slightly better contract. 5 years for a guy that is shooting 40.6%, 26.7% and 79%, though?!? Wow. People said they wanted a SG with size but Carroll may be more porous than Terry and he provides very little on the other side.

Hollins is a lifelong underperformer (at least in basketball-- he was good at the high jump.) who failed to make a splash in college and is thusfar failing in the NBA. After this year he may very well never see an NBA lockerroom.

We essentially save about 11 million and get no talent back. Since Diop wasn't playing/contributing its not a huge deal but it does make me wonder if we are transitioning into a rebuilding mode. I'm not adverse to it-- we either need to position ourselves to rebuild or we need to be aggressive about getting better.

Diop has been a negative on the floor and Carroll's contract is structured in such a way that he will be easily tradeable as part of a bigger package towards the end of his contract.

Diop, on the other hand, would only have gotten more and more untradeable as his contract went on.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-16-2009 at 08:43 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #95
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkgreatness View Post
I was expecting Felton, so I'm kind of the disappointed. Its an ok trade though.
Were you...really? With this FO...
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #96
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger View Post
Sad to see that the Mavs have built a history of making "good deals" when good deal qualifies getting rid of a horrible contract they signed in off season.

It´s like hitting a wall with the car you just bought, then convince the owner of the wall to buy your car for the initial prize while you keep the wall ...

Would have preferred Morrison over Carrol though.
This is the greatest analogy in the history of trade analogies on d-m.com.

Period.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #97
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Actually EJ for Shawne Williams was the first post-Avery trade.
You are correct...forgot about ej...the ultimate age-dump.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #98
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

This trade doesn't thrill me at all.

Really it does nothing for the team, except change names on the back of a jersey or two.

Dallas is still mediocre.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #99
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I miss Diop. You know, the one that left over two years ago?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #100
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

A small-sample, probably somewhat contaminated statistical fact that nonetheless tells the story of how little Diop had been providing the Mavericks this year.

- With Gana on the court Dallas was giving up 100 points per 48 minutes. That's slightly more than the 99 points per 48 minutes the Mavs had been giving up with Dirk playing center, and the 99.4 points per 48 minutes they'd been giving up with Bass playing center. Those are flat-out unacceptable numbers for a defensive specialist.

The bottom line on this trade is that the Mavs gave up absolutely nothing of value, saved themselves a bit of money over the next few years, and if things work out, may have at least landed themselves a designated shooter off the bench and a 10 mpg backup center with some athleticism (something they've not had in a long time). If you're in any way upset with this trade, you're just looking for something to be pissed off about.

At the same time, if you're excited about it, you're delusional and should probably check to make sure you're not running a high fever.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #101
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
A small-sample, probably somewhat contaminated statistical fact that nonetheless tells the story of how little Diop had been providing the Mavericks this year.

- With Gana on the court Dallas was giving up 100 points per 48 minutes. That's slightly more than the 99 points per 48 minutes the Mavs had been giving up with Dirk playing center, and the 99.4 points per 48 minutes they'd been giving up with Bass playing center. Those are flat-out unacceptable numbers for a defensive specialist.

The bottom line on this trade is that the Mavs gave up absolutely nothing of value, saved themselves a bit of money over the next few years, and if things work out, may have at least landed themselves a designated shooter off the bench and a 10 mpg backup center with some athleticism (something they've not had in a long time). If you're in any way upset with this trade, you're just looking for something to be pissed off about.

At the same time, if you're excited about it, you're delusional and should probably check to make sure you're not running a high fever.

I agree for the most part. You can't argue with the realities of the trade (contract #s, on court-production, what was exchanged). But perceptions count, too. If Diop (and Stack) could've fetched us Felton/May/Mohammad, is Diop for Hollins/Carroll still a good deal?

Your product may have got you X dollars today, which is above what the market says, but if 1.5X was on the table last week and didn't go through for whatever reason, it's a little bittersweet to finish with the X.

Oh well.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #102
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Your product may have got you X dollars today, which is above what the market says, but if 1.5X was on the table last week and didn't go through for whatever reason, it's a little bittersweet to finish with the X.
Two things: 1) the thing that brought X dollars in today is not the same thing that was rumored to be on the verge of bringing in more than X last week, because Dallas still has Stack's contract to use in another trade, and 2) it's not necessarily the case that the Mavs are finished with the X; in fact, the impression one gets from the media members who are presumably most tuned in to what's going on in the Mavs front office is precisely the opposite, and I'd say the odds are pretty good that another, more impactful (whether for good or ill) trade is likely to follow.

Perhaps some people felt confident that Felton was going to become a solid starting point for the Mavs. If you fall in that camp, then your disappointment that Dallas' didn't (hasn't yet) acquired him is reasonable.

For my part, while it would have been my hope had that trade gone through that Felton would've lived up to that standard and made Kidd and that giant expiring contract of his expendable, I'm far from certain that would've been the case, so it's hard for me to get too down about not having him here. More importantly, though, if Stack's contract paired with the high-dollar lump that Diop turned out to be was in the neighborhood of enough to acquire Felton, then surely Stack's contract (which is only going to increase in trade value leading up to the offseason) paired with something else more palatable and attractive should be able to fetch the Mavs something better than Felton.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #103
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up on this move.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #104
Danny Boi

Danny Boi will become famous soon enough

Why the freak does it seem that nobody will trade with the mavericks unless the deal goes extremely in their favor. First giving up harris for kidd and i won't even get into just "throwing in" those two first round picks that it's starting to look more likely that they could have used......can u say lottery. I guess i shoulda known better than to think the mavericks could actually get felton :-(
Danny Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #105
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default Let's see

Quote:

106 degrees. I should be dead.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #106
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boi View Post
Why the freak does it seem that nobody will trade with the mavericks unless the deal goes extremely in their favor. First giving up harris for kidd and i won't even get into just "throwing in" those two first round picks that it's starting to look more likely that they could have used......can u say lottery. I guess i shoulda known better than to think the mavericks could actually get felton :-(
just have faith Danny Boi. just have faith.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #107
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I really like this trade.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #108
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I like adding a shooter. It's amazing that team can be put together with so few people capable of hitting shots as is the case with this current Mavs group.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #109
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I like adding a shooter. It's amazing that team can be put together with so few people capable of hitting shots as is the case with this current Mavs group.
Absolute truth.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #110
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Two things: 1) the thing that brought X dollars in today is not the same thing that was rumored to be on the verge of bringing in more than X last week, because Dallas still has Stack's contract to use in another trade, and 2) it's not necessarily the case that the Mavs are finished with the X; in fact, the impression one gets from the media members who are presumably most tuned in to what's going on in the Mavs front office is precisely the opposite, and I'd say the odds are pretty good that another, more impactful (whether for good or ill) trade is likely to follow.

Perhaps some people felt confident that Felton was going to become a solid starting point for the Mavs. If you fall in that camp, then your disappointment that Dallas' didn't (hasn't yet) acquired him is reasonable.

For my part, while it would have been my hope had that trade gone through that Felton would've lived up to that standard and made Kidd and that giant expiring contract of his expendable, I'm far from certain that would've been the case, so it's hard for me to get too down about not having him here. More importantly, though, if Stack's contract paired with the high-dollar lump that Diop turned out to be was in the neighborhood of enough to acquire Felton, then surely Stack's contract (which is only going to increase in trade value leading up to the offseason) paired with something else more palatable and attractive should be able to fetch the Mavs something better than Felton.
"I can't quit you!"

Or...I can't rep you enough!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #111
xavier

xavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the rough

Is this the best we can do?
This trade sucks! It does nothing to help us.
Sure diop's contract is gone but please tell me there is more to look forward to in the way of trades.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #112
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier View Post
Sure diop's contract is gone but please tell me there is more to look forward to in the way of trades.
hmmm...have you read this thread?

Honestly, I wanna see Kaman here! Simple 1 for 1 works with Josh, hell...the trade machine says Ricky Davis and Kaman for Josh (Williams to keep it at 15) works as well. The trade machine isn't the logic and works best for both rosters machine, but it's a guide. The idea of Josh for Kaman is there and you can even fill out more with it.

Solid big men are hard to find...go for it!
http://www.nba.com/hotspots/
Go there and look at Kaman's numbers, he is a legit option in the low post.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 01-16-2009 at 11:23 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #113
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I'm more curious to hear what else Stein said about the Mavs?
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #114
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
hmmm...have you read this thread?

Honestly, I wanna see Kaman here! Simple 1 for 1 works with Josh, hell...the trade machine says Ricky Davis and Kaman for Josh (Williams to keep it at 15) works as well. The trade machine isn't the logic and works best for both rosters machine, but it's a guide. The idea of Josh for Kaman is there and you can even fill out more with it.

Solid big men are hard to find...go for it!
http://www.nba.com/hotspots/
Go there and look at Kaman's numbers, he is a legit option in the low post.
And why would the Clippers give up Kaman for a Howard...?
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #115
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
I agree for the most part. You can't argue with the realities of the trade (contract #s, on court-production, what was exchanged). But perceptions count, too. If Diop (and Stack) could've fetched us Felton/May/Mohammad, is Diop for Hollins/Carroll still a good deal?

Oh well.
Huh?? If Diop and stack could have fetched us felton/may/mohammad then it would have.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #116
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

According to Stein we didn't have the ammo to get Felton in a straight up trade so we were trying to bring in OK City. They could have provided Larry Brown with a defensive minded back up PG in Watson.

Problem was, when the Thunder found out that Felton was in play they wanted him for themselves and didn't have much interest in helping him get to Dallas.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:59 PM   #117
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch....Did you see this?

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archi...ar-me-now.html
Quote:
The Mavericks tried to call DeSagana Diop to tell him he had been traded.

The problem: his cell phone didn't work. Donnie Nelson tracked him down to a Verizon store in Irving late Friday afternoon and asked him to step outside to deliver the news.

The Mavericks backup center had been traded to Charlotte for three-point specialist Matt Carroll and backup center Ryan Hollins.

"We are huge DeSagana fans,'' said Nelson, the team's president of basketball operations. "He's one of my favorite people that I've ever had the chance to work with. This is tough.

"But you can never have enough shooters. Matt, over the course of his career, is one of the top three-point shooters in the league. Hollins, I think, is a very underrated, versatile, athletic 5-4 (center-forward) that can give us a different kind of look.''

Carroll and Hollins should arrive in Dallas Saturday but are not expected to play against Utah. The plan is for them to take their physicals, practice Sunday and Monday then accompany the team to Philadelphia for the start of its four-game Eastern Conference road trip.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #118
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

Damn I bet Diop was clueless and shocked.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #119
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

I'll miss diop, but the FO f***ed up when they re-committed to a player they already knew the limitations on. Carroll could help out if we can find a buyer for terry.

This better be the first dynomite to blow on this controlled demolition.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #120
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I was just about to post this...man, talk about AWKWARD. But hey, props to Donnie for being a man and being honest.

Indirectly, if you wanna look outside the box, we DID spend our MLE on a big man and SG....

Tags
diop becomes mvp?, junk-4-junk, salary dump, trade