Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-29-2004, 12:36 PM   #1
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold
Default and the oscar goes to...

Posted on Sun, Feb. 29, 2004

Setting his Picks

Mavericks' guard Steve Nash weighs in with his Oscar predictions

By Art Garcia
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Steve Nash isn't a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences,
but he is somewhat of a movie connoisseur. Perusing a list of nominated actors,
actresses and movies for the 76th annual Academy Awards, the Mavericks' two-time
All-Star point guard has seen almost every film nominated.

As far as Nash is concerned, 2003 turned out some pretty decent flicks.

"Any year there is Lost in Translation and City of God, that's pretty phenomenal,"
he said.

Nash isn't a movie snob. He'll see just about anything, as long as it's good.

"Someone's ability to tell a good story really appeals to me," he said. "There's not
really one genre I prefer. There are so many movies that I like. I do appreciate stories
I can relate to, so I don't narrow it down to a certain type or genre that I prefer.

"I enjoy foreign films and independent films, but, more than anything, I enjoy the
creativity of good films. There are so many movies out there that I like."

Nash and his girlfriend, Alejandra, spend a lot of time at the movies, and he said
they equally share in the selection process when they go out.

"She's a film freak, but I do see a lot," Nash said. "I rent movies all the time."

Nash's Oscar picks

Leading actor: Bill Murray, Lost in Translation

Leading actress: Naomi Watts, 21 Grams

Supporting actor: Benicio Del Toro, 21 Grams

Supporting actress: Shohreh Aghdashloo, House of Sand and Fog

Directing: (tie) Fernando Meirelles, City of God; Sofia Coppola, Lost in Translation

Best Picture: Lost in Translation

------------------------------------------------------------------

what are your predictions ?
Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2004, 04:24 PM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:and the oscar goes to...

Nash is a movie snob.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:25 AM   #3
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: and the oscar goes to...

because you disagree?

I can't disagree with the merits of his picks, it was just a LOTR year.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

pretty much every nominee deserved to win this year... well, "master and commander" seemed like it would be a horrible movie, to me. but i didn't see it and don't really like russel crowe all that much.

i would have liked to have seen depp win. penn's performance was great, but depp's was the best of the year, IMO. but every winner and nominee was certainly deserving.

freakin' 11 for 11 for LOTR. geez. the jokes about new zealand were pretty funny.

will ferrel and jack black were pretty funny... "'You are my ain true love' by (whispers) STING"
Old 03-01-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Oscar for most boring overhyped self gratifying television event of the year goes to .....the Oscars.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:34 AM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
The Oscar for most boring overhyped self gratifying television event of the year goes to .....the Oscars.
And for supporting role as most boring, overhyped, self-gratifying television event (Awards Ceremony Division)--The Grammys.

Everything's a damned advertisement or industry promotion anymore.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:42 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Honestly...I have never watched programs like this. Waste of time that can be used in the pursuit of more productive endeavors.....like picking boogers, watching grass grow, watching paint dry, etc.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i tivoed it. so i could fast forward through all the boring crap and just see who won and their speeches...

i thought adrien brody was funny with the breath spray...
Old 03-01-2004, 10:57 AM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
i would have liked to have seen depp win. penn's performance was great, but depp's was the best of the year, IMO.
Totally agreed.

The Oscars are overhyped, boring....and a fake in many senses.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:53 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a shame that actors such as Johnny Depp, Sean Penn, and Tim Robbins were nominated this year.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #11
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
It's just a shame that actors such as Johnny Depp, Sean Penn, and Tim Robbins were nominated this year.
Actually, Sean Penn did a masterful job in Mystic River.....
Old 03-01-2004, 12:04 PM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i thought robbins was good in mystic river, too. whether he should have won, i'm not sure. i didn't see all the other movies. but i had heard good things about djimon in "In America"

i was hoping ken watanabe would win, just so he could thank his cousin gedde. "thanks to the donger!"

Old 03-01-2004, 12:24 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
Actually U2, I think he was praising them and saying it was a shame that they couldn't win in the LOTR year because they all had outstanding performances.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:34 PM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

actually drbio, no one from LOTR was nominated for an acting Oscar. in fact, i think it's the 2nd movie to ever win best picture and not have anyone nominated for an acting award.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:34 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

actually, we all like to start our posts with "actually"
Old 03-01-2004, 12:46 PM   #16
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
Actually U2, I think he was praising them and saying it was a shame that they couldn't win in the LOTR year because they all had outstanding performances.
If so, why would he say it's a shame that they were nominated? Sean Penn won.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ah, i think i know why he says it's a shame. all 3 (depp, robbins, penn) have said some anti-war/unpatriotic things this past year.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:24 PM   #18
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
ah, i think i know why he says it's a shame. all 3 (depp, robbins, penn) have said some anti-war/unpatriotic things this past year.
Because everyone knows you can't be anti-war and a good actor (or anti-war and patriotic).

I felt like I was watching an award ceremony from this side of the world [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
The accents were all so familiar. Oh and my friends dad won the best cinematography!
That was cool. I'm friends with someone that's going to have an oscar in their parents house haha.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:28 PM   #19
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ah, sorry veruca.

i wasn't saying that being anti-war was unpatriotic. i just put the slash in there. i was grouping what the actors said. i should have been more specific. depp didn't necessarily say anything anti-war, but he made negative comments about America (the big, dumb puppy thing. whether out of context or not, those comments were seen as unpatriotic). robbins and penn were pretty anti-war. i didn't mean that they were unpatriotic.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:38 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

Actually....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

My point was that I thought he was saying it was a shame those three could not have ALL won. Maybe we should just wait for him to clarify.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:42 PM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i'm just saying that i bet i'm right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2004, 06:04 PM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Sean Penn MUST have been amazing in Mystic River (I haven't seen it yet) to have beaten Ben Kingsley. House of Sand and Fog is a freaking awesome movie and it gets all of it's passion and fire from him. That was one of THE BEST acting jobs I've ever seen.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:09 PM   #23
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe we should just wait for him to clarify.
Nah....its way more fun to speculate!

Actually, the only thing I've been able to conclude from this thread is that Steve Nash really sucks at making Oscar predictions.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 01:43 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

add an 'all' into the sentence.

This past year, I believe there were any number of outstanding performances by actors/actresses. It's just unfortunate that some of the performances couldn't have occurred in 2002 so that deserving actors such as Kingsley and Murray could have received the nods.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

damn. i was wrong. but that was weird that he picked those three. whatever. i think i was right. it's murph's fault for not thinking what I thought he was thinking.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:41 PM   #26
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Murray Upset at Oscar Result

Actor Bill Murray shocked guests at Sunday night's Academy Awards - when he refused to clap as rival nominee Sean Penn was named Best Actor. The Lost In Translation star looked annoyed when Nicole Kidman announced Penn had won for his performance in Mystic River. According to British newspaper The Sun, Murray later shouted at organizers, "If I knew this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bothered coming." The 53-year-old comedian has made no secret of his dislike of award ceremonies, and didn't show up to collect the Best Actor award at London's BAFTAs last month. Murray has said, "Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one. It's a really unattractive sight to see an actor or actress who really wants an Oscar. And you often see it on the show - you see their faces and the desperation is so ugly."
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:22 PM   #27
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, murray was the only one that didn't clap. but it's kind of good to see someone not fake smile and put on a show (well, they are actors...).

but his expression prompted crystal to say something like "don't leave, bill. we love you!"
Old 03-03-2004, 08:16 PM   #28
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

But i think it's so funny he's bitter about it.
I would put Penn in the same catergory as him, they're not really the normal
academy type. I think that was the fantastic thing about the best male this year, I would've been happy for it to go to any of them.

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:43 PM   #29
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Murray Upset at Oscar Result

Actor Bill Murray shocked guests at Sunday night's Academy Awards - when he refused to clap as rival nominee Sean Penn was named Best Actor. The Lost In Translation star looked annoyed when Nicole Kidman announced Penn had won for his performance in Mystic River. According to British newspaper The Sun, Murray later shouted at organizers, "If I knew this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bothered coming." The 53-year-old comedian has made no secret of his dislike of award ceremonies, and didn't show up to collect the Best Actor award at London's BAFTAs last month. Murray has said, "Awards are meaningless to me, and I have nothing but disdain for anyone who actively campaigns to get one. It's a really unattractive sight to see an actor or actress who really wants an Oscar. And you often see it on the show - you see their faces and the desperation is so ugly."
This guy sounds like the biggest sore loser. "Awards are meaningless to me...blah blah blah". If its meaningless, then why's he so pissed off about it??

I remember last year Russell Crowe got in a huff at some Australian awards show because he didn't win for "A Beautiful Mind".

Bill Murray is being a whiny cry baby. To hell with him.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:43 PM   #30
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Although i do agree with him about the fact that it's disgusting for an actor to "really" campaign for an Oscar, he kinda of contradicted himself. If awards are meaningless to you, why are you showing up for the ceremony?

For your FYI, Penn didn't campaign for an Oscar. They didn't consider him a favorite partially because he didn't even show up for the Golden Globes, which i think Murray showed up to.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote