Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that Nellie's willingness to allow the seven-footer to hoist threes (at a time when a lot of coaches, Pops perhaps included, would not have) played a large role in Dirk's development as a player.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm pretty sure that Nellie's willingness to allow the seven-footer to hoist threes (at a time when a lot of coaches, Pops perhaps included, would not have) played a large role in Dirk's development as a player.
Let's put Nellie's "generosity" into perspective...

23yo Dirk 1.8-4.6 .397
23yo Durant 2.0-5.2 .387

As we can see, it was nothing unusual. Dirk should have taken even more 3's...(and shots)

Last edited by markus1234; 06-16-2012 at 01:26 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Let's put Nellie's "generosity" into perspective...

23yo Dirk 1.8-4.6 .397
23yo Durant 2.0-5.2 .387

As we can see, it was nothing unusual. Dirk should have taken even more 3's...(and shots)
Um, Durant is not a seven footer. He's not even close to a seven footer. This has absolutely nothing to do with chum's point. You know who else shoots more threes than Dirk? Ray Allen. That's as relevant as what you just said.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Um, Durant is not a seven footer. He's not even close to a seven footer. This has absolutely nothing to do with chum's point. You know who else shoots more threes than Dirk? Ray Allen. That's as relevant as what you just said.
Many NBA analysts and play by play guys have taken to saying that Durant is "practically 7 feet tall" when gushing about him.

Drives me insane. And I love the guy. But he has enough crazy aspects to his play and his story that are awesome. Can we not try and force in another that just doesn't apply?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
1st of all young Dirk was not a seven footer either. And 2ndly there were already big guys who shot from outside (Horry, Perkins and co...).

Saying that Nellie gave Dirk as much freedom as Durant (gets from Brooks)...or young Kobe got from Phil Jackson, is simply not true.

Durant gets the "face of the NBA" treatment from his coach, refs and the media. Dirk on the other hand was a "German talent" for too many yrs, nothing more nothing less. And that sucks, because Dirk turned out to be a HOF. He deserved a "bigger role" from the beginning...

Last edited by markus1234; 06-16-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1st of all young Dirk was not a seven footer either.
Huh, did i miss somehing?

Last edited by Kante; 06-16-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Here's proof - look how he's barely taller than the net:

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1st of all young Dirk was not a seven footer either.
wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Unfortunately, you did not.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
markus1234
Platinum Member

Guys you make me sad. You do not know Dirk.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Guys you make me sad. You do not know Dirk.
What did you mean, about his height? I know he has filled out a lot since he got here, but I didn't know that he grew any taller.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1st of all young Dirk was not a seven footer
I stopped reading after this.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I disagree completely. Coaches know that a three pointer is worth more than a two pointer. Pops has always shown how creative he is, only an idiot like Avery would take away such a weapon.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I disagree completely. Coaches know that a three pointer is worth more than a two pointer. Pops has always shown how creative he is, only an idiot like Avery would take away such a weapon.
I'm not sure what you disagree with, but you didn't refute anything chum said either. Nellie was one of the first (if not the first) guys to allow a seven footer to camp out on the perimeter and rain shots.

I don't know where you get the idea that Popovich (I assume this is "Pops," but I've never heard anybody call him that) is "creative." He's a damn, damn fine coach--possibly the best in the business. Surely a better coach than Nellie overall. But he's very by the book. For 15+ years he's had a team constructed of 5 guys who play their positions in an extremely traditional way. They do it incredibly well, but there's nothing "creative" about Duncan in the low block, Manu and Tony on elbow screens, spacing the floor with shooters, emphasis on corner threes, baseline funneling on defense, etc.

Chum's point was--Dirk's development absolutely had something to do with the untraditional way he was utilized, especially early in his career. If you have a rebuttal to that point, I'd love to hear it, but I don't think it exists.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure what you disagree with, but you didn't refute anything chum said either. Nellie was one of the first (if not the first) guys to allow a seven footer to camp out on the perimeter and rain shots.

I don't know where you get the idea that Popovich (I assume this is "Pops," but I've never heard anybody call him that) is "creative." He's a damn, damn fine coach--possibly the best in the business. Surely a better coach than Nellie overall. But he's very by the book. For 15+ years he's had a team constructed of 5 guys who play their positions in an extremely traditional way. They do it incredibly well, but there's nothing "creative" about Duncan in the low block, Manu and Tony on elbow screens, spacing the floor with shooters, emphasis on corner threes, baseline funneling on defense, etc.

Chum's point was--Dirk's development absolutely had something to do with the untraditional way he was utilized, especially early in his career. If you have a rebuttal to that point, I'd love to hear it, but I don't think it exists.
I would also point out that being smart enough to not take away the weapon is NOT the same thing as having the vision to nurture and embrace the weapon to begin with.

I strongly dislike a great many things about Nellie and the way he goes about his business, but you can't discount the impact he had in shaping Dirk's career and allowing him to thrive as such an unconventional player. Dirk himself has spoke many times about how fortunate he was to have a coach open minded enough to figure out how to best use Dirk's talents, rather than forcing him to conform to the traditional standard of the NBA PF.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I strongly dislike a great many things about Nellie and the way he goes about his business, but you can't discount the impact he had in shaping Dirk's career and allowing him to thrive as such an unconventional player. Dirk himself has spoke many times about how fortunate he was to have a coach open minded enough to figure out how to best use Dirk's talents, rather than forcing him to conform to the traditional standard of the NBA PF.
Agree on all counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Many NBA analysts and play by play guys have taken to saying that Durant is "practically 7 feet tall" when gushing about him.

Drives me insane. And I love the guy. But he has enough crazy aspects to his play and his story that are awesome. Can we not try and force in another that just doesn't apply?
It's funny, there's a bit of an illusion with his height, I think, because he's so skinny. He looked even taller in college I thought, when he was 15-20 lbs lighter.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 06-16-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
That's a fair point. On the other hand, I remember being frustrated at the time because of Nelson's reluctance to try using Dirk as a creator rather than a finisher every once in a while.

It's great that he can shoot 3's and all, but in my opinion there were a lot of good years wasted because Dirk was basically used as a featured floor spacer. He didn't REALLY become a star until Johnson started giving him iso's and running high post plays for him on a the reg. Don't get me wrong - there's a whole list of things I think Johnson did wrong, too, but I think Nelson wanted no part of turning Dirk into the type of player he has become.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
look at me i'm important, markus123no, overcat, underpants