Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-20-2004, 01:03 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dampier yet to pay off after Mavs' investment

Dampier yet to pay off after Mavs' investment

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Mavericks assistant coach Avery Johnson has a favorite saying: To whom much is given, much is expected.

There certainly has been much given to Erick Dampier. He signed a contract for seven years and $65 million in the off-season, the payoff for having a 12-point, 12-rebound season with Golden State in his contract year.

Now, much is expected. Dampier knows it. And he knows what he's done so far isn't good enough.

"I haven't really played the way I want to play," Dampier said Sunday. "I'm definitely capable of playing a lot better.

"But it's a totally different situation for me. This team has a lot of guys that can score. The last team I was with, I was one of the main focal points. I just got to find some way to get myself into the game."

Dampier found some ways Saturday against Atlanta, when he had 13 rebounds to go with 10 points for his fifth double-double of the season. But that game followed four in a row in which he hadn't gotten double figures in rebounds or points. His playing time had taken a slow dive during the dead spell.

The Mavericks never expected Dampier to be a monster in the middle offensively. They are content with 10 points, ecstatic with anything more.

But they do need rebounds and blocked shots out of the 6-11, 265-pound center. So far, he's averaging nearly five rebounds less than last season. He also has dropped from 1.85 blocked shots per game to 1.08, although it should be noted he's playing about six fewer minutes per game.

Rebounding and shot-blocking are the keys to Dampier earning the monster contract he signed in the summer and not joining the list of players who used one or two good years to get a big deal, then disappeared into the woodwork.

Last week, head coach Don Nelson said he believes there is more to Dampier's game than the Mavericks have seen.

"If there's not, then we'll have a problem," he said.

However, Nelson also understands that the Mavericks have been in transition this season. Injuries have hurt their rhythm and a hectic schedule has left little time for practicing.

He talked with Dampier about using a three-day break between games as a new start.

"What is behind us is behind us," Nelson said. "Let's go forward from here and try to be better. And game 1 [Saturday against Atlanta], about a B. That's the highest rating we've had all year, with the rating system we use."

Nelson said that grade was team-wide, but you got the impression that Dampier's grade was in the same vicinity.

Dampier is a tireless worker and does more in the paint than any previous Mavericks center going back to James Donaldson. However, he also has drawn the attention of referees, getting in foul trouble. Perhaps refs aren't used to seeing a Maverick patrolling the paint, which is understandable since there haven't been many.

Against Atlanta, Dampier had seven points and seven rebounds in the first quarter to set the tone for the night.

"We knew they couldn't match up with us down low," he said. "There are going to be nights when I'm not going to touch the ball. But those are the nights when I have to find a way to get rebounds, get put-backs and work harder to get into the game some kind of way."

And, of course, he's got to fight not only the opponent for rebounds, but teammates such as Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard.

"It's very hard," he said. "Dirk's usually somewhere around the basket. Some nights I'll be there. But it doesn't matter who gets the rebounds as long as we get the W."
Old 12-20-2004, 01:16 AM   #2
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:Dampier yet to pay off after Mavs' investment

The Damp Factor:

Nelson is finally playing centers for most of the game. Dampier clogs space and allows other players to get rebounds. He is a tough defender and has held Yao in check on two seperate occasions. His only game where he was mismatched was against Tim Duncan. And of course he is overpaid all NBA players are especially centers.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:01 AM   #3
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Dampier yet to pay off after Mavs' investment

It's nice to see that Damp has the drive to play better, and that Nellie thinks he can do more.

but other than that...sefko mails in another one. It's just stupid to claim that Dampier should take rebounds away from Dirk and Howard just to get his 10 a night. WTF does it matter as long as it's a mav?

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:06 AM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

It's like last seaosn when Dirk grabbed 9 boards a game. Everyone was complaining that he regressed but the additions of Walker, Jamison, Josh and Fortson made less rebounds available for Dirk. I could careless what Damp's stats sheet looks like just as long as he's giving 100% and shows up for Aprill.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #5
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Two good things about getting Damp is Dirk now gets to play at his natural position. And we've not seen the layup parade that opponents would normally conduct in our paint.

The one bad thing I've seen is Damp's handles. For someone who calls himself "best center in WC" sure needs to work on this part of his game. I can't believe how easy it is for opponents to just slap the ball out of his hands.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, Damp's value isn't rebounds or block shots. (And yes Seko mails in another one.)

The value of Dampier is something that will never be in the boxscore and it's major things that Bradley can't give us, even though Bradley would probably provide more in the boxscore. Dampier gives us the ability to pound on the big centers like Shaq and Yao. In years past, those guys would destroy the Mavs. But not this year because Dampier "wears"on his opponent and makes it difficult for them to score. Dampier also adresses the "image" of toughness in the middle. Having Dampier on the court gives the opponent the thought that if they drive, they will get clobbered. It's a "Fear Factor" if you will. Bradley may be a better shotbloker, but more people look to posterize Bradley because he is not intimidating like Dampier.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Well, the big disapointment to me has been precisely that the layup drill has still been in effect in several games, particularly the GS game we lost. Did you see how many put-back slams Richardson had? Guys are just flying in uncontested for putbacks.

Can't blame it all on Damp, but some of those were with Dirk and Damp looking on, no boxing out going on. I partly blame the coaching, they should not tolerate that stuff.

If we can't pull out wins vs teams with the quick and strong big men like the Spurs/Suns/Sonics before the trade deadline, we are going to have a problem.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
acebball

acebball has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Damp played 7 minutes in the GS game so don't play him for the lay-up drill...he did have three fouls but he had three more to give...
acebball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:02 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

My take on damp:..

1. Big, strong man. No one is able to just bull their way into the lane and take easy shots...No one. Not shaq, not yao, no one.
2. He is a great big pick setter, unfortunately he's not very useful 12 feet away from the basket. The one thing I would work with him over and over and over again is rolling to the basket.
3. He gets a lot of rebounds in traffic that our smaller guys just cannot hang onto or that the refs let opposing players knock them off the ball.
4. He blocks out a lot of guys and allows other rebounds to be gotten, his man just doesn't get around him.
4a. He DESERVES to get the ball thrown down to him at least 5 times a game if not more. Anyone that is expected to get beat up all game deserves to have the opportunity to score. If not IMO they WILL drift off and say ah to heck with it. Even if he's "not supposed to score" everyone gets graded and is happy about scoring.
5. He needs to work on not picking up fouls early. Of course the last 5-10 games our perimeter defense has been pretty poor and we all know that just causes our centers to get cheap fouls.

I like damp/shawn out there. It's a nice change and shawn can be really aggressive... Nellie MUST play one of them.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #10
Turkey
Banned

Turkey can only hope to improve

He not perforuming like last year.
His stats the same as year be4 last.
wtf
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:54 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
My take on damp:..

1. Big, strong man. No one is able to just bull their way into the lane and take easy shots...No one. Not shaq, not yao, no one.
2. He is a great big pick setter, unfortunately he's not very useful 12 feet away from the basket. The one thing I would work with him over and over and over again is rolling to the basket.
3. He gets a lot of rebounds in traffic that our smaller guys just cannot hang onto or that the refs let opposing players knock them off the ball.
4. He blocks out a lot of guys and allows other rebounds to be gotten, his man just doesn't get around him.
4a. He DESERVES to get the ball thrown down to him at least 5 times a game if not more. Anyone that is expected to get beat up all game deserves to have the opportunity to score. If not IMO they WILL drift off and say ah to heck with it. Even if he's "not supposed to score" everyone gets graded and is happy about scoring.
5. He needs to work on not picking up fouls early. Of course the last 5-10 games our perimeter defense has been pretty poor and we all know that just causes our centers to get cheap fouls.

I like damp/shawn out there. It's a nice change and shawn can be really aggressive... Nellie MUST play one of them.
great post dude...I especially like the comment on #2 about the mavs needing to utilize Damp rolling to the bucket....I've seen several easy dunks this year from Damp rolling after a monster pick. This should at LEAST be attempted 5 times a game.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:33 PM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything except the passing him the ball thing. We make it too obvious most of the time that we're gonna pass it to Dampier. He is best utilized to score usually when someone finds him cleverly downlow. Otherwise, direct passes to him usually end up in turnovers.

Another thing: Nelson needs to stop having him make plays. This whole need to have a point-forward or a point-center is ridiculous. Damp stinks at passing out of the post. I would rather him take his chances just trying to dunk over players then pass it out to the three point line.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:55 PM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of offense is Nellie trying to run? Does Nellie even know?

1) Dump down - half court - low post
2) Clear a side for Dirk/Terry (Nash) pick and Roll
3) Passing/Cutting offense?
4) Princeton or Horns?

Damp isn't much good in a few of these.

They have run variants of all of these this year, and each works well against one team and not so well against another.

This is why Nellie admitted he had a bad game plan against Seattle. And I need to add Orlando and Phoenix as well that he had bad game plans against. He planned beautifully against Miami though, and also against Minnesota and Atlanta.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 02:25 PM   #14
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
What kind of offense is Nellie trying to run? Does Nellie even know?

1) Dump down - half court - low post
2) Clear a side for Dirk/Terry (Nash) pick and Roll
3) Passing/Cutting offense?
4) Princeton or Horns?

Damp isn't much good in a few of these.

They have run variants of all of these this year, and each works well against one team and not so well against another.

This is why Nellie admitted he had a bad game plan against Seattle. And I need to add Orlando and Phoenix as well that he had bad game plans against. He planned beautifully against Miami though, and also against Minnesota and Atlanta.

Game plan against Phoenix and Seattle reminds me of us against the Kings. Whenever the Kings falling for the up tempo game like us, they always lose. But the opposite goes with the Suns and Sonics. We just can't run up and down with Phoenix and Seattle anymore. We actually have to slow down...... which Nellie never used to.

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:53 PM   #15
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The tempo thing may change as Devin Harris develops. We do have nine new players on the active roster. Damp's production might improve if Dirk was in the low-post more often.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:12 PM   #16
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

There are things the Mavs could do to both a) improve his individual production and b) utilize him better in the team concept. That said, we're 25 games into his first season here, and the Mavs are ranked 9th in points scored, 7th in FG% defense, and 11th in rebounding differential. Last year, the Mavs were 1st in scoring, 7th in rebounding differential, and 27th in FG% defense. We have a more balanced team this year, and I'm willing to bet that the scoring and rebounding differential only go up from here while the FG% defense ranking stays around the same. If the Mavs can get to the point where they have a team capable of scoring 100 ppg on average, holding opponents under 43% shooting, and outrebounding their opponents by over a board a game, I'm going to feel pretty good about their chances in the playoffs.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:15 PM   #17
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
There are things the Mavs could do to both a) improve his individual production and b) utilize him better in the team concept. That said, we're 25 games into his first season here, and the Mavs are ranked 9th in points scored, 7th in FG% defense, and 11th in rebounding differential. Last year, the Mavs were 1st in scoring, 7th in rebounding differential, and 27th in FG% defense. We have a more balanced team this year, and I'm willing to bet that the scoring and rebounding differential only go up from here while the FG% defense ranking stays around the same. If the Mavs can get to the point where they have a team capable of scoring 100 ppg on average, holding opponents under 43% shooting, and outrebounding their opponents by over a board a game, I'm going to feel pretty good about their chances in the playoffs.
You forgot to mention 2nd in total rebounds and 8th in blocked shots.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:29 PM   #18
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
Quote:
You forgot to mention 2nd in total rebounds and 8th in blocked shots.
The blocked shots are improved from a year ago, and they're also up from 16th to 2nd in the league in steals.

It's a MUCH better defensive team, a lesser offensive team, and a pretty similar rebounding team.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:18 PM   #19
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's a MUCH better defensive team, a lesser offensive team, and a pretty similar rebounding team.
Agreed, but how do they improve on the offensive end, without losing any of the other qualities?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:26 PM   #20
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

but,but....but.....but.....but............I thought that DEFENSE won championships..........Wha' happened???
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 PM   #21
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
Agreed, but how do they improve on the offensive end, without losing any of the other qualities?
There are a number of ways they can improve on the offensive end.

First, it's clear that they can get better point guard play than what they're getting. None of the point guards are good enough at this point to dominate the ball like Nash did, and that's not what we really want any way, because Dirk's rise to dominance has been in large part because of how much he's touching the ball. Still, the point guards can improve how they run the pick and roll and how they execute drive and dish or drive and kick situations. As they begin to understand where teammates will be and what Nellie wants them to do in his scheme, I think we'll see improvement there.

Second, when Dirk has the ball on the elbow, his teammates need to MOVE. Too often, we see Dirk facing his man up and 4 Mavericks standing and watching. The other Mavericks need to make more frequent dive cuts to the basket. It will eventually result in several easy layups a game as teams pay so much attention to Dirk.

Third, I think the Mavs need to work the ball inside just a bit more to Dampier. I know, he's got butter fingers at times and he has some awkward turnovers down in the paint, but pounding the ball down there early seems to get Dampier going, and when he's involved in the game, he's much more active on the glass, particularly on the offensive end. Plus, when the ball is being pounded into the paint to Dampier, it's kind of like running the ball on 1st-and-10 -- it keeps the opponent honest so they're not blanketing the Dallas perimeter players all night long.

By no means is this an exhaustive list, but if they can accomplish those three things, they'll be much better offensively, and I see no reason why it should adversely affect them on defense or on the glass.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:40 PM   #22
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
The tempo thing may change as Devin Harris develops. We do have nine new players on the active roster. Damp's production might improve if Dirk was in the low-post more often.

Devin gonna sit with Bradley in Nellie's dog house for awhile. Reality is that Bradley has been in a dog house since the day he arrived in Dallas. Hopefully, Devin won't fall into that. I don't think the tempo thing will be any better. But that is not necessary to improve our offense. Right now, it is too much one on one, isolation crap and not enough passing going around. It seems like 4 guys is watching Dirk playing most of the time on the offensive end. Nellie needs to stick with one main PG, either Devin or Terry. I don't really care which one, but to develop chemistry, one of them needs to play the majority of minutes.

About DA, his ass can help AJ coach. Can't believed we wasted a second round pick for this guy.
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:41 PM   #23
Turkey
Banned

Turkey can only hope to improve

Dampier-c and bradley-pf would make a nice combo.
I wish they run more plays fro bradley
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:10 PM   #24
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Has this organization ever turned on a big aquisition so drastically, so quickly, as they appear to have turned on Dampier? I've heard nothing but bad things being said about this man from those inside the Mavericks... and only after about two months of time in a Maverick uniform. Has he really been THAT terrible in his limited time here to receive such an unprecidented public lambasting?

Raef played well enough here in half a season to earn a huge, near max deal. I'm guessing that if the Mavericks were asked to re-up Dump right now, they would pass. It took the Mavericks two season before deciding to pull the plug on Raef. How long will it take for them to do the same with the older, less talented Erick Dampier?

From the rumblings I hear, it appears that the organization is considering a drastic move... like moving their $70M bust to the bench.

Dampier has been a disappointment. A BIG disappontment. It would be tragic if it weren't so predictable.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:13 PM   #25
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
From the rumblings I hear, it appears that the organization is considering a drastic move... like moving their $70M bust to the bench.
Nonsense. Your bowel movements don't constitute inside sources.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:17 PM   #26
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Nonsense. Your bowel movements don't constitute inside sources.
You're right.. it's my personal interpretation. But I can't imagine that the Nelson, Avery Johnson and the rest of the coaching staff will be happy with Dampier's current production for the rest of the season. And I don't think that ripping him over and over again in the press will do much good.

Dampier played his best game of the season after getting his ass yanked. If that's what motivates him, I'm sure Don Nelson would be happy to oblige.

Play a half-ass game, sit your ass on the pine. Maybe that's the only way to get this heartless lump of crap to care about playing hard.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:29 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

I don't know if they will or not 'ape. I DO know however that we've never had a center that could make Yao look so mediocre or stand up to shaq/duncan. Never...

So there may be bad with the good (as you would expect). Nellie/Avery need to earn THEIR paycheck to get what is needed out of damp. I do think however that every big man needs the opportunity to touch the ball and score sometimes. If not he (as I would) would say f'em. If they don't give a dang enough to throw me a bone, maybe I won't bust it for that rebound/block shot.

Also if the point guards are going to play ole' with speedy claxton, I'll just foul the sob three times and go sit down.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:37 PM   #28
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I don't know if they will or not 'ape. I DO know however that we've never had a center that could make Yao look so mediocre or stand up to shaq/duncan. Never...
hmmm... you must not have a very good memory. Najera and Bradley have always owned Yao. I don't think he's ever had a good game against us since the very firts time we've played him.
Here's a link to refresh your memory:

Shawn Wows Yao

A little taste:
Quote:
You want the single most important reason Dallas beat Houston on Thursday? Shawn Bradley dominated Yao Ming.
Yes, dominated.
‘That was my job,’ said Bradley, barely concealing his happiness. ‘Part of it is, he never sees anybody his own height. It’s a different look, a different challenge.’
Bradley is being too humble. By fronting him and denying the ball on the defensive end and then wrasslin’ with him when the ball went up on both ends, Bradley completely erased Yao during Shawn’s 16 minutes.
’He’s going to be a great player,’ Bradley said of Yao, ‘but I’ve been in the league 11 years. I just used some of the things I’ve learned.’
Specifically, the denial of the entry pass to prevent touches, the meeting of Yao at the free-throw line to take away his comfort zone, and physical play of the sort that only a 7-6 guy can offer.
On ‘Ignorant Fan Night,’ I expect some people will get tangled up in a boxscore that makes it appear as though the much-ballyhooed Yao had a decent game (12 points, eight rebounds in 30 minutes) while Shawn had a typically mundane one (1-of-4 shooting, five points and two rebounds in 16 minutes).
But Bradley’s teammates, and anyone who’s ever stepped onto a jockstrap, know what he accomplished.
Said Dirk Nowitzki:’Bradley was great.’
Said Danny Fortson:‘Shawn being the same size as him really threw him off.’
Said Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy: ‘Bradley was a big factor.’
Said Yao himself: ‘I felt like I was surrounded all night.’
And didn't Yao grab about 15 boards against Dump? I think Dump was only able to grab about 5 in that game. Yao certainly had his way with Dump on the boards. It certainly wasn't a Bradley-esque domination.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:38 PM   #29
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

When you look at Dampier's current production, if he were receiving the same number of minutes as last year, he'd be posting 10.1 ppg, 9.1 rpg, and 1.34 bpg. Those are pretty decent numbers, and I think they even exceed what you said would be acceptable numbers from him. So his play is down a little bit from last year, but perhaps he just needs more minutes. Also, I tend to agree with dude1394. The coaches need to figure out how to get the most out of Dampier. I don't see it, as you do, as a lack of effort on his part. I just see a player who isn't quite comfortable yet in our system. I think he'll get there, however. And in the meantime, I'm quite content with what he's giving us.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:41 PM   #30
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

ape - I agree with you that Bradley has had some success against Yao in the past, but that doesn't negate Dampier's superiority as a man-to-man post defender. Dampier has done a great job against most of the bigs he has faced this year.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #31
madape
Diamond Member

I think the Mavericks disgust with Dampier isn't centered around his statistical production, which are pretty pedestrian.. certainly nothing a $70M center in the prime of his career should be putting up. No, it has more to do with things beyond the rebounding and shotblocking stats - his ineptness on the offensive end, his turnovers, his ineffectiveness as a weak-side shotblocker, his missed assignments, etc etc etc etc. The things Eddie Sefko would say were "behind the numbers" (which if you asked Nelson, he'd tell you they aren't good, Sefko, you ignorant twit)

Dampier will get his rebounds. The question is how valuable are those rebounds, and are they valuable enough to make up for all the other negative things he does out there? In other words, would we be better with Bradley out there? Would we be better with Alan Henderson, or Calvin Booth?

I'm guessing that it won't be long before Don Nelson tries to figure out the answer to that question. And the only way he can is by taking a look at different starting lineups. Dampier better hope he doesn't... because this team has a pattern of getting blown out in the first quarter.

If Bradley/Hendo/Booth can even keep us close on average... Dump's day as a starter may be done.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:59 PM   #32
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
ape - I agree with you that Bradley has had some success against Yao in the past, but that doesn't negate Dampier's superiority as a man-to-man post defender. Dampier has done a great job against most of the bigs he has faced this year.
Maybe the best use for Dampier is in the role we used for Danny Forston last year.: Play more mobile, skilled players against 80%of the NBA, but bump Dampier into the starting lineup to play against guys like Shaq, Duncan, Ilgauskas, Eddy Curry.....well, maybe not Eddie Curry.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:04 PM   #33
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

ape - Short of you, I may be the biggest Bradley supporter on this board. But having seen how Dampier is able to help the team, I would never suggest that Bradley could do a better job in a starting role. I think Shawn is underutilized on the team and should be the steady backup center, but I think that there's no question that Dampier should be the starter.

I'd have to go back to find the thread where I posted the stats, but when Dampier plays 30 minutes per game, this team wins a LOT more often, defends better, and scores more. When he doesn't, they don't.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:06 PM   #34
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
Maybe the best use for Dampier is in the role we used for Danny Forston last year.: Play more mobile, skilled players against 80%of the NBA, but bump Dampier into the starting lineup to play against guys like Shaq, Duncan, Ilgauskas, Eddy Curry.....well, maybe not Eddie Curry.
Honestly, who are you talking about?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:12 PM   #35
madape
Diamond Member

I think you'll find a similarly impressive record for when Shawn Bradley plays over 30 minutes. Of course, Shawn isn't as inconsistent as Dampier. (I know that's hard to say for a lot of Bradley haters, but it's true). You can actually play Shawn 30 minutes a game, every night and in 75% of those games, Shawn will produce. You can't say the same fore Dampier. He's only bothered to wake himself up for about seven or eight games all year.

I'd like to see Nelson stick with Dampier when he's stinking it up. If he'd have played 30 mintues in the Golden State game, for instance, a the rate we were going we would have been reamed by 40 or 50.

I would be great if a center could get 30 minutes a game here. But I think it's much more likely we'll get 30 GOOD minutes out of Bradley or one of our four other centers, than we will with Dampier who has a habit of sleepwalking his way to the bench in 75% of the games he plays.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:16 PM   #36
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Danny Fortson.. remember him? The same argument was used lfor him ast year. "Sure, he's been a big disappointment, but he plays good man-on-man defense against big, strong centers".

Nelson found a use for Fortson who hurt us against most teams, but who came up big in certain matchups. I'm just proposing that Nelson employ the same strategy with Dampier. Maybe that's the best way to utilize a one-dimensional player like Dampier.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:18 PM   #37
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I'm somewhat of a Bradley statistician and can attest to the fact that Bradley has produced some impressive results in the past when he's been given the minutes. That said, do you honestly think Shawn has the stamina any more to play 30 mpg? I don't. I've watched the few times this season that he got extended burn, and he looked exhausted every time.

Even in 2002-2003, when Shawn had basically his best season as a Maverick (from a team standpoint), Shawn averaged just over 21 mpg.

If the Mavs want to give Dampier 28 mpg and Bradley 20 mpg, fine by me. But I don't see it happening. Shawn has been reduced to a novelty item by Nelson. He's sort of like that seldom used reliever in the bullpen who the manager throws out there every once in a while to throw the other team a different look. Sure, he should be used differently, but I don't think the answer is to convert him into the starter. Just a steady backup role would be nice.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:21 PM   #38
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

What exactly is so bad about having Damp start and Bradley and Booth back him up? It's worked for us this year and I see no reason why we should scrap it. Damp's gonna catch fire sometime this season and he's going to go on a streak of double doubles and we won't hear from you Ape again. That's one thing i've noticed about is that when Damp plays well you drift away but you're the first person to take notice of a bad game he has. I think Bradley has been great in his role this season but that role isn't starting. It's as backup and honestly I don't see a better backup center in this league and we've been blessed to have two pretty good backups in Booth and Bradley.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:25 PM   #39
dude1394
Guru

I ALSO am a huge shawn bradley fan. But shawn cannot command space on a basketball court. He can't keep his own space and he cannot keep others from getting the space they want. Shawn cannot keep a large center out of the post, period. I like damp/shawn quite a bit. Again, I think damp needs to be force-fed early. And if you don't think that is doable, they you would be right to be rid of him. I think it's a wonderful thing to do early and often. He deserves to get touches.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:25 PM   #40
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
Danny Fortson.. remember him? The same argument was used lfor him ast year. "Sure, he's been a big disappointment, but he plays good man-on-man defense against big, strong centers".

Nelson found a use for Fortson who hurt us against most teams, but who came up big in certain matchups. I'm just proposing that Nelson employ the same strategy with Dampier. Maybe that's the best way to utilize a one-dimensional player like Dampier.
What I meant was, who is this quicker, more mobile center that Nelson has at his disposal?

Re: Fortson, I beg to differ with you. While Fortson is a one-dimensional offensive rebounder, Dampier has shown that he has a very positive impact on the Mavs in many ways.

Look, I know you don't like him, but Dampier is an asset for the Mavs, not a liability. He's the first legitimate starting center we've had since Roy Tarpley re-joined the team in 1994-1995.