Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-24-2004, 01:27 AM   #1
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default DA: Mavs After Payton, Van Exel?

David says the Mavs are after Payton, and if that doesn't work out, seeing as how well he's playing in Boston, that they'll go after Van Exel.

Needless to say I'm against both, unless we can get them for dirt cheap.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:40 AM   #2
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:DA: Mavs After Payton, Van Exel?

This is getting ridiculous..I saw the report..Is DA full of BS?? It could be the reason ESPN let him go

He also said that the cavs are looking to trade Eric Snow after the spat with Silas

And Milwaukee might trade Redd for Hilario

Get rid of Don Nelson and get a coach that can put a system in with a half court offense. That's all this team needs. Dirk will continue to thrive.

Van Exel - I see no possible scenario of him being happy here..Cuban basically treated him like crap after what he did in 2002, basically the reason the mavs beat Sacramento. Originally this was reported by Vescey and we dismissed it...

Payton - no way..36 years old..so you expect him to win a title this year? He's on a one year deal and if things go sour, it's another wasted year and he isn't going to re-sign

Seriously, Nelson needs to go and some of the scorers need to be traded for defensive glue guys..This should also allow Dampier to get more touches and get him to play harder on the other end.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:48 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: DA: Mavs After Payton, Van Exel?

And this overabundance of scorers is ?????...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:57 AM   #4
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
jerry stackhouse
marquis daniels

both of whom are stuck on the bench and have no real role on the team

need more guys like josh howard
Old 12-24-2004, 02:44 AM   #5
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I really don't want SAR cause of the minutes headache that we just had last year. So, if we can't get Nick for Terry and Stack then I really don't think we should do it.

The Blazers are giving up some of their cap room in exchange for more talent. While it hurts some to lose both Terry and Stack, I guarantee that when the playoffs start they fans would be happy to have Nick and be a lot more comfortable with Nick taking 20 shots in a big game 7 instead of Stack.

I know we lose out on talent, so I would try to get the Blazers to throw in one of their two 1st round Russian SFs, Sergie Monya or Viktor Kryhpka. I know they sound irrelevent now, but they are talented (just watch NBA TV if they ever replay one of their games, Monya is a beast and Kryphka could make a great role player someday), and they are good guys to develop with our youth.

I don't want to trade Alan Henderson, I think we would regret it in the playoffs. I see big things for Henderson in the playoffs, his defense is outstanding and against pick and roll teams he would be really effective because he is so good at defending it.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:50 AM   #6
antiks

antiks is on a distinguished road

wow, why in the world do we want gary "testerverde" payton in here anyways? and has anyone seen the ghost of nick van exel lately? We might want to try and let the talent develop, it's not even January yet and there's enough knee jerks to start a river dance...
antiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:51 AM   #7
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

Gary payton can go to hell. I don't want him..
I'd take nik back but i doubt he'd come back.

We need a top guard and we're not going to get it by playing around with the average joes. We will need to make a major trade. I'm affraid it won't happen. It's time to look to europe.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:54 AM   #8
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

Darrell Armstrong and now Gary Payton or NVE???

Can there be anymore signs that letting Nash walk was a mistake??
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

If David Aldridge says it, there's probably at least some truth to it. Unlike Vecsey, Sam Smith, and others, Aldridge is a quality NBA reporter.

It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL to learn that the Mavs are trying to (and will end up) acquiring either Payton or Van Exel.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:53 AM   #10
rakesh.s
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
If David Aldridge says it, there's probably at least some truth to it. Unlike Vecsey, Sam Smith, and others, Aldridge is a quality NBA reporter.

It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL to learn that the Mavs are trying to (and will end up) acquiring either Payton or Van Exel.
this is another season down the tubes

it would be funny to see them acquire van exel and then end up trading him away next season
Old 12-24-2004, 10:54 AM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

At this point, the only thing I'm against is staying pat with what we've got. Payton is proving in Boston that he can still play. Van Exel will always be a demon, and would give this team an infusion of heart that it desperately needs...even if he still considers Mark Cuban to be a bitch.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 11:02 AM   #12
rakesh.s
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: PubaNWO

Can there be anymore signs that letting Nash walk was a mistake??
I honestly don't know about that..If Nash were here, the mavs have problems on defense...at least in Phoenix, the other 4 players are solid defenders and can cover up nash's mistakes.. That is not going to happen in Dallas.

Sure, the offense would've been clicking but if you can't stop anybody..

Jason Terry can get the job done but he is a half court offense point guard, coming off screens and shooting midrange jumpers or drive and kick...Nelson can't have it both ways..He can't play uptempo AND play good defense with the lineup that is currently in place

so either Nelson needs to go, or he needs to make a committment to playing a set rotation with Terry as the starter and playing a half court offense.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:17 AM   #13
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I doubt NVE would want to come back after how we ditched him. I'm starting to think that maybe our players don't feel job security and thats a reason why they aren't playing to the best of their abilities.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:24 AM   #14
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

I saw the whole conversation last night with the guys on tnt after the heat vs kings game. It kinda shocked me. And I couldn't help but laugh when they talked about how we we're looking a point guard after letting the best one walk away from us. And I don't know how Van Exel will feel about coming back as he should had never been traded away in the first place!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:54 AM   #15
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

nve has said that after this current contract expires, the only teams he'll consider signing with are teams in texas. i don't see why he would be opposed to coming back. his son lives in garland.

payton would be a great addition. i think we'd probably have to take back ricky davis, but i could see a henderson and filler for payton and davis deal. it would leave us with an abundance of swingmen, but i see stackhouse and davis being moved anyways.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 12:17 PM   #16
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

I hate to add fuel to the fire ... but Baron Davis is back. His line a couple of nights ago? 17 minutes ... 12 shots; 5 ast; 3 stl; 17pts. Although I think he takes too many shots ... and at times can appear selfish ... Baron Davis is one of the top playmakers in the league. And if Harris develops then Davis could become THE REAL next Bobby Jackson.

The other things I like about Davis: he can post up smaller players... and he can play the two guard in a smaller lineup. OH THE POSSIBILITIES! Think Harris, Davis, Fin/Daniels, Howard, and Nowitzki could run with the Suns? Abso - effin - lutely. Think Davis, Fin/Daniels, Howard, Dirk, Damp could score in the half court? Damn straight. A deal for Baron Davis tells me the Mavs are trying to build a dynasty.

btw - I hate Payton and Ricky Davis. But I would probably grow to like them if they played for me. A deal for one or both of those guys tells me the Mavs don't think Harris is going to mature this year.

NVE would be othing more than a stopgap... but a deal for The Quick might signal the Mavs think Harris is going to be a 40 minute PG before too long.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #17
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I think Payton would be a better fit here than Terry in the short term. Obviously, GP isn't the longterm answer, but the Mavs don't expect Terry to be either. They just want someone to hold the fort until Devin is ready. I think GP would be better at that.

Besides, Payton and Harris remind me of one another in a lot of ways. I also think Gary would bring true PG skills to this team - getting the ball to the right people at the right time, setting tempo, controlling the team, bringing leadership, fire, and intensity. For the rest of the season, and possibly next, Gary would be just fine most likely.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:00 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
jerry stackhouse
marquis daniels

both of whom are stuck on the bench and have no real role on the team

need more guys like josh howard

Oh okay...we'll just get a few more josh howards. In case you haven't noticed josh is on the verge of being considered for all-star status. If he gets better with his shot it will be he and dirk on the all-star team.

And I believe you are being naive about this team NOT needed more scorers, they really only have dirk/finley right now. Terry/Harris might develop but not for a while.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:19 PM   #19
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: rakesh.s
Quote:

this is another season down the tubes

it would be funny to see them acquire van exel and then end up trading him away next season
How do you figure that the season is down the tubes? Are you some sort of clairvoyant?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:20 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
nve has said that after this current contract expires, the only teams he'll consider signing with are teams in texas. i don't see why he would be opposed to coming back. his son lives in garland.

payton would be a great addition. i think we'd probably have to take back ricky davis, but i could see a henderson and filler for payton and davis deal. it would leave us with an abundance of swingmen, but i see stackhouse and davis being moved anyways.
I think we'd have to give more than Henderson and filler, but they might be interested in this:

Dallas trades: SG Jerry Stackhouse (14.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.4 apg in 29.9 minutes)
PG Jason Terry (9.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 3.6 apg in 24.4 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Gary Payton (13.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 6.4 apg in 33.8 minutes)
SG Ricky Davis (14.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 2.8 apg in 33.1 minutes)
PF Tom Gugliotta (1.5 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 11.5 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +5.7 ppg, +2.6 rpg, and +3.7 apg.

Boston trades: PG Gary Payton (13.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 6.4 apg in 33.8 minutes)
Boston receives: SG Jerry Stackhouse (14.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.4 apg in 29.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -5.7 ppg, -2.6 rpg, and -3.7 apg.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:22 PM   #21
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Adding the Baron could be a great move, or absolutely horrible.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:42 PM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Personally, I have little interest in the injury-prone Baron Davis.

Gary Payton makes a ton of sense, because he'll be able to play until Harris is ready to take over, and he clearly has the credentials to run the offense.

The real question is what enticement Boston would need to give us Payton. He's made their team better this year, even if they are basically a .500 club in the East. With him, they're going to make the playoffs. Without him? Questionable.

Old 12-24-2004, 01:50 PM   #23
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Aldridge is a quality NBA reporter
Same guy that was breaking down the Midwest Division this summer on PTI...there is no Midwest Division.

Same guy that swore the Mavs were taking Pavel Podkolzin at #5 this summer.

Same guy fired by ESPN for being incompetent.

Same guy that swore up and down that Dampier was a done deal going to the Knicks.

Stephen A. Smith is the only guy I really trust with information but we all know that most GMs and Owners keep private about the important matters.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:58 PM   #24
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Agreed. I either hate Baron Davis or I love him. Tough to tell. I think he could be great if he would come off the bench for 28-30 minutes, backup up PG and SG ... He can shoot the lights out when he's on .... and he can get to the bucket at will. B Davis is D Wade without Shaq.

I can't think of a package that oculd get him here though. Maybe Terry, Stack, 1 rd pick, and Hendu for Davis and Mashburn ... But I don't think Cuban is that crazy.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:28 PM   #25
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
Quote:
Aldridge is a quality NBA reporter
Same guy that was breaking down the Midwest Division this summer on PTI...there is no Midwest Division.

Same guy that swore the Mavs were taking Pavel Podkolzin at #5 this summer.

Same guy fired by ESPN for being incompetent.

Same guy that swore up and down that Dampier was a done deal going to the Knicks.

Stephen A. Smith is the only guy I really trust with information but we all know that most GMs and Owners keep private about the important matters.

didnt smith report that carter to the blazers was a done deal? aldridge is 10x the reporter that the loud mouth is.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:36 PM   #26
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Rule of thumb about Mavs trades - if you hear it said that they are trying to trade for someone, it is probably not true.

There have been a jillion players rumored as coming to the Mavs - but the real trades come without notice from nowhere.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #27
vinnieponte

Quote:
Originally posted by: Pirate
Rule of thumb about Mavs trades - if you hear it said that they are trying to trade for someone, it is probably not true.

There have been a jillion players rumored as coming to the Mavs - but the real trades come without notice from nowhere.
did you think about that all by yourself?
Old 12-24-2004, 03:04 PM   #28
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
Quote:
Originally posted by: Pirate

did you think about that all by yourself?
do you have to insist on being such a jerk to everyone who wanders on the boards? civility --- it works wonders.

Old 12-24-2004, 03:08 PM   #29
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
Originally posted by: V
Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Agreed. I either hate Baron Davis or I love him. Tough to tell. I think he could be great if he would come off the bench for 28-30 minutes, backup up PG and SG ... He can shoot the lights out when he's on .... and he can get to the bucket at will. B Davis is D Wade without Shaq.

I can't think of a package that oculd get him here though. Maybe Terry, Stack, 1 rd pick, and Hendu for Davis and Mashburn ... But I don't think Cuban is that crazy.
one problem though. i dont think davis really makes any of his teammates better. they cant even beat eastern conference opponents. wade does make his teammates better, and they play better as a result.

Old 12-24-2004, 03:53 PM   #30
vinnieponte

I'm not a jerk to EVERYONE who wonders on the boards, where did you get that, from one comment? Talk about blowing things out of proportion
Old 12-24-2004, 08:28 PM   #31
bloodyhell

bloodyhell is on a distinguished road

Cuban has failed!
Old 12-24-2004, 08:29 PM   #32
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I'd take either of them right now but i'd still like to see Terry get some time to prove himself. And if we are dealing for GP or Nick we better be given up Stack and DA in the deal.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 12:56 AM   #33
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I think GP would be the better fit. he might not have the defensive skills he once had, but he is still a pick and roll guard. Terry does some Nick Vanexel type things but not quite as well. Terry is really a 2 not a 1 so in one respect GP would be a better fit for this team. If we had to take back Ricky Davis so be it he is a pretty good scorer.

Van Exel really wouldn't cure what is lacking on this club. Consistent point guard play, nick the quick is really a 2 trapped in a one's body. Shareef is a good post player so I am really not opposed to his addition to the roster.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 03:14 PM   #34
jibikao

jibikao is on a distinguished road

I don't vote for getting any NEW PGs or any NEW players at this moment.

But I think if Cuban pays more or shows more interest, Payton may come. Mavs is more of a championship team than the Green team.

Jimmy

www.keepshooting.com
jibikao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 08:23 PM   #35
DallasFan1980

DallasFan1980 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange

I think we'd have to give more than Henderson and filler, but they might be interested in this:

Dallas trades: SG Jerry Stackhouse (14.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.4 apg in 29.9 minutes)
Dallas receives: PG Gary Payton (13.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 6.4 apg in 33.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +5.7 ppg, +2.6 rpg, and +3.7 apg.

Boston trades: PG Gary Payton (13.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 6.4 apg in 33.8 minutes)
Boston receives: SG Jerry Stackhouse (14.4 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.4 apg in 29.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -5.7 ppg, -2.6 rpg, and -3.7 apg.

You are dreaming. Why do fans do this? You can't give away our trash for other teams players who are playing really well. Boston would be stupid to want Terry and Jerry for the way Ricky Davis is playing this year.
DallasFan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote