Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
Super B

Super B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Fire Carlisle?

I was having a polite discussion with some clueless spare YouTuber who said Carlisle is a Hall of Fame coach. I nearly fell off my chair. This (below) is what I wrote.

Carlisle has been the HC for the Mavs for 12 seasons (11 full seasons, this is the 12th now). Eight of those seasons his teams made the playoffs. Twice, let me repeat two times, his teams have made it past the first round. Season one (08-09), in Dirk’s peak, they went to the second round (4-1 over SA, 1-4 lost to DEN). Then they won the championship in 2011. Then the geniuses who are Cuban, Donnie and Carlisle dismantled the team. Would they have won another title? Maybe not, but we never got to find out what that group could have done the next season.

After the championship, the Mavs have made the playoffs five times and been ousted in the first round all five times. Is that a HOF coach, or just a guy with some longevity? Clearly without question, outside of one championship season, his best days were early in his career in the Eastern Conference with Detroit and especially Indy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2BB15EA-2A1A-4AC2-B188-375971551034.jpg (49.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2314CC4A-887F-407B-9745-AF628E1349F8.jpg (93.3 KB, 2 views)

Super B

Last edited by Super B; 02-18-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Super B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super B View Post
I was having a polite discussion with some clueless spare YouTuber who said Carlisle is a Hall of Fame coach. I nearly fell off my chair. This (below) is what I wrote.

Carlisle has been the HC for the Mavs for 12 seasons (11 full seasons, this is the 12th now). Eight of those seasons his teams made the playoffs. Twice, let me repeat two times, his teams have made it past the first round. Season one (08-09), in Dirk’s peak, they went to the second round (4-1 over SA, 1-4 lost to DEN). Then they won the championship in 2011. Then the geniuses who are Cuban, Donnie and Carlisle dismantled the team. Would they have won another title? Maybe not, but we never got to find out what that group could have done the next season.

After the championship, the Mavs have made the playoffs five times and been ousted in the first round all five times. Is that a HOF coach, or just a guy with some longevity? Clearly without question, outside of one championship season, his best days were early in his career in the Eastern Conference with Detroit and especially Indy.
Are you trying to argue that Rick isn’t a HOF coach? I’d fall out of my chair if someone tried to argue that he wasn’t.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
Super B

Super B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the roughSuper B is a jewel in the rough
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Are you trying to argue that Rick isn’t a HOF coach? I’d fall out of my chair if someone tried to argue that he wasn’t.
I know he is a HOF coach, partly because of low standards and mostly because he has a championship and has been a coach in this league for a long time. Without the championship though, he has only had minor success.

Super B

Super B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super B View Post
I know he is a HOF coach, partly because of low standards and mostly because he has a championship and has been a coach in this league for a long time. Without the championship though, he has only had minor success.
Yeah I was gonna say....I honestly don't think he's a HOF coach. If Popovich, Phil Jackson, etc. are HOF coaches....I don't consider him one but the standards are so low..I guess he could be considered one.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:21 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Yeah I was gonna say....I honestly don't think he's a HOF coach. If Popovich, Phil Jackson, etc. are HOF coaches....I don't consider him one but the standards are so low..I guess he could be considered one.
He is undoubtedly a HOF coach.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:29 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

And the title defense season was kinda like this one. Only 66 games - lots of back to backs and 4 games in a week

The Mavs were an OLD team and it would have been almost impossible to win it again considering the circumstances

I'm surprised the NBA didn't investigate the Odom trade. He "passes" all these drug tests while on the Lakers and then the Lakers unloaded damaged goods to the Mavs
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote