Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 01-26-2016, 12:53 PM   #1
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
Yea you know it all turin. "Traffic and cost not really an issue." So the $800 or so per year it costs just to keep the lights on is worth it for the half dozen or so new posts made each day? It may not be about the money but if no one's using the site then there isn't much point in keeping it up. And this isn't anything new. Traffic has been a steady decline for several years now.
Simple enough then. If things are as you say, then if you're done, turn the site and information over to somebody else and let them take the reigns and responsibility. It doesn't really matter what you say. What matters ultimately is what you end up doing. Call me a cynic, but I think you'll just shut it down. Talk is cheap.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Simple enough then. If things are as you say, then if you're done, turn the site and information over to somebody else and let them take the reigns and responsibility. It doesn't really matter what you say. What matters ultimately is what you end up doing. Call me a cynic, but I think you'll just shut it down. Talk is cheap.

I've put in tens of thousands of dollars along with countless hours of my time into this site over the last 15+ years. And yet here you are, with your <1 post/week average, somehow thinking as if you have the right to call me out and demand that I simply hand it over? Deciding to close the site after years of significant decline was an extremely difficult decision for me, but one I sure has hell don't need to defend or justify to you. I'll definitely miss a lot of the longstanding members here, especially those who have been here since the very beginning, but entitled trolls like you? Yea not so much.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #3
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've put in tens of thousands of dollars along with countless hours of my time into this site over the last 15+ years. And yet here you are, with your <1 post/week average, somehow thinking as if you have the right to call me out and demand that I simply hand it over? Deciding to close the site after years of significant decline was an extremely difficult decision for me, but one I sure has hell don't need to defend or justify to you. I'll definitely miss a lot of the longstanding members here, especially those who have been here since the very beginning, but entitled trolls like you? Yea not so much.
I'll miss the site and I'd contribute some if it helped keep it open, but I choose to give thanks for all the years you kept it open rather than complain that you are closing it.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:33 AM   #4
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
I'll miss the site and I'd contribute some if it helped keep it open, but I choose to give thanks for all the years you kept it open rather than complain that you are closing it.
No doubt. Thanks djb. I feel fortunate to have enjoyed this site from pretty much the beginning. Even though I started lurking here in my early twenties, it feels almost like I'm losing a bit of my childhood with this board going down. I might have to also get myself onto twitter just to keep up with this community.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:12 AM   #5
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled View Post
No doubt. Thanks djb. I feel fortunate to have enjoyed this site from pretty much the beginning. Even though I started lurking here in my early twenties, it feels almost like I'm losing a bit of my childhood with this board going down. I might have to also get myself onto twitter just to keep up with this community.
Same sentiments jlee

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm not calling you out and demanding that you simply hand it over, and I'm certainly not unaware as to what's involved in either the money or time commitment department. I've been involved in a very large, high-traffic online gaming forum myself that is similar in many ways to this forum for more than 15 years. Sadly, it came to an end in November 2015 because the person who owned the domain name and who was hosting the dedicated server decided that he didn't have the time or desire to be involved anymore, and when some others requested that he give them admin permissions, so they could take care of the day-to-day operation, he just pulled the plug. Kind of a take the ball and go home attitude. Nothing was transferred or allowed to continue because the domain name holder just turned it off. He left the entire community in the lurch. This wasn't the desire of even a small minority of the community. One person made this decision, and it impacted ten thousand + of members.

While it is certainly your right to terminate the forum because you own the domain name, I don't think you have any ownership rights over the community that coalesced around the forum you provided. The community is made up of Maverick fans for the most part and even the Dallas Mavericks don't own them. While I commend you for notifying the community and stating your specific reasons (and I don't disagree with you in your assessment of Cuban), I am thinking more about the community itself that would be cast adrift if the site were simply turned off. I am sure I'm a bit more sensitive to this considering what I've already experienced and related above. I'm just thinking about the people left behind. That's the only reason I'm saying anything. I've certainly got other things on my plate that are more important than putting myself in a position to be called out as an entitled troll. LOL If I didn't think there was something worth preserving from the fruits of your endeavor, then I wouldn't have said anything. In the end, it's really about the people here and not about Cuban or even the Maverick players.

Again, it's your decision, and I certainly don't dispute that.

Best of luck in your future endeavors,
Turin

Last edited by turin; 01-27-2016 at 04:00 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Whoever takes it over, send me an email with your paypal account info.

send it to: rdmdarr@gmail.com

I will send you the $800 through paypal to keep it going another year.

Richard

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!

Last edited by Ummmmm Ok; 01-27-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummmmm Ok View Post
Whoever takes it over, send me an email with your paypal account info.

send it to: rdmdarr@gmail.com

I will send you the $800 through paypal to keep it going another year.

Richard

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
41creepingdeath

41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all41creepingdeath is a name known to all

Long-time lurker here. Still hoping for a positive turn of events.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You tell him!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote