Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-17-2001, 11:47 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

How about the Mavs trade Buck and next year's number one for Dickerson. Then split the exception with Hardaway and Bowen, swap Trent for Patterson via sign-and-trade, and perhaps send Eisley to Atlanta for something. I'm thinking Richmond's going to sign with the Lakers, so we need to start looking at other possibilities. Adding Dickerson, Hardaway, Bowen, and Patterson to the team significantly strengthens both the bench and starting rotation (I'm with Murph..Howard needs to be brought off the bench).
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:59 PM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I can see it.....if the "something" is Alan Henderson. (Assuming Eisley did go to ATL and not someplace else.) Not because I'm a huge Henderson fan but for the reason that we'd still need a rebounder... (ideally, Donnell would magically become a stud, but I don't think it's likely...yet.)

Timmy is your backup PG
Dickerson is your scoring off the bench (along with maybe Juwan)

but... Bowen and Patterson are essentially the same player... why would we want both of them? I'd like to have both of them and Buck and etc etc etc.... but with only 12 spots and Najera to accommodate, would we want both?
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:02 AM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Bowen would essentially fill Buck's man-to-man defensive role, but his offense is pretty putrid. Patterson has the skills to start on most teams in the league. Having Patterson, Dickerson, Hardaway and maybe Howard off the bench basically guarantees the team will never have an off night on offense [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'd like to think that with his improved confidence and offensive skills, Harvey could somehow play limited mins this season.
Old 07-18-2001, 12:04 AM   #4
djb
Administrator

I wouldn't mind Eisley for Maloney + future pick. But then again, I'm just a fan of Maloney's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2001, 12:08 AM   #5
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah.. the scenario would be awesome if Donnell takes it up a notch. But.. what I'm wondering is, are Bowen's man-on defensive skills so much better than Patterson's that we would rather have both of them than use Patterson in that role and add a rebounder? Obviously Patterson can score better than Bruce. Would we be better served to let Patterson take on Bowen's "role" and pick up a rebounder instead of Bowen?
Old 07-18-2001, 12:10 AM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Or.... vice versa..... to avoid the Patterson personal issues, get Bowen instead and get a rebounder? Because we've got Dickerson's scoring to add to the equation, too.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:58 AM   #7
PeterVesceyisdumb

PeterVesceyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 07-18-2001, 04:09 AM   #8
PeterVesceyisdumb

PeterVesceyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops, sorry about that. That would be an interesting lineup. It would certainly give the dallas bench a lot more firepower. However, the one player i wouldn't give up out of those players, is buckner. I just think buckner is too valuable to the mavs as both a defender and rebounder. I think buckner is the best defender on the team, and we can put him on the other team's best player, in many situations. Also, he is a good rebounder, and I'd hate to lose that. Anyway, he's just a guy who always seems to make plays, whether it be on offense, defense, etc. I'm not saying he will be an all-star or anything, but he's the type of role player that a coach loves to have. He is a crowd favorite cause of his hustle he shows whenever he is on the court. I'd like to get patterson, hardaway, and richmond if possible, but I think richmond might go to la. Anyway, I'd just hate to see buckner go, he is one of my favorite players. The rest of the names like patterson, bowen, and hardaway all sound good to me.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:54 AM   #9
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Would Dickerson accept the role coming off the bench???? That would be my only question with those transactions.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:29 AM   #10
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

I couldn't imagine Michael Dickerson being lucky to play for the mavs behind Mike Finley, cause MF4 gets so many minutes -> not enough time for Dickerson from the bench! What other position should he play? The 3, no! And he's no 1 neither.

After all it's not worth to give up Buck' talent.
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 09:35 AM   #11
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

I like all those players, but I think a rotation that includes six guards, two centers, and two power forwards is a bit overloaded with little guys... And what do we do with Trent?
Old 07-18-2001, 09:44 AM   #12
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

yeah man, we need some big fat guys! Like ... Barkley, yes, why not reactivate him for the mavs! MAVS ONLINE
Old 07-18-2001, 09:52 AM   #13
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

It's too bad there aren't any notable fat-ass free agents. Maybe we could acquire Vin Baker, Tractor Traylor, or Derrick Coleman through sign-and-trade? Trent is no longer fat enough to cut it here.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:10 AM   #14
Platinum Member

But there's a chance for Trent to survive under the basket, he just has to ask some money from Mark Cuban to get some more weight, but Shawn Kemp would still be the best to fill nearly 100% of the zone's place!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2001, 10:15 AM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I saw Derrick Coleman in Chicago about three weeks ago, and the guy had a t-shirt on and he is VERY fat and no question out of shape. I expect to see him on someone's IR this year.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:50 AM   #16
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I agree with PeterV. Buck is to important to the mavs. And IMO is much better then Bowen. Don't trade him.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 05:21 PM   #17
JoeGalvan

JoeGalvan is on a distinguished road

i agree. that buck shouldnt be sent away in any trades, and i really think that nellie and cuban feel the same way....but then again, they dealt E Strick to NY for Harvey.....so i dunno.

anyway.

if we drop fin to the 3 so dickerson can run the 2-guard for a few minutes every game. i think that would work pretty well.

JoeGalvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 05:24 PM   #18
djb
Administrator

Yea that's what I was thinking. Either that or move Dirk to the 4 and Patterson to the 3. But back to Dickerson, who else besides Buck would the Grizz be interested in? They almost signed him last summer as a restricted fa before the Mavs matched their offer.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:46 PM   #19
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Ok, I think you pretty much know that I´m the guy (maybe the lonely guy) who is convinced (and willing) to bet on Webber playing next year in a Mavs uniform (whatever they´ll look like). And I wont re-fresh my idea to bring in Baker and Payton ...

Putting all that behind, I want to review DJ´s "plan".

Trading Trent for Patterson. Why? You get SOMETHING out of Trent this way ... and this something may fit.

Signing Hardaway and Bowen by the midlevel. Dont think that´ll happen. Why? Bowen wont come here (SA?), and Timmy may even accept the vet minimum. So the Mid-Level would still be ours (Mason?).

Shipping Buckner to Memphis. For Dickerson. Reasonable. I LOVE Buckner. But Dickerson may be the better choice right now.

Eisley for something. Hoooray. Henderson? Maybe. Maybe send him to Miami (Mason?). Maybe there´s any big guy left.

That leaves us with:
Bradley, Dirk, Fin, Dickerson, Nash starting
Booth, Howard, Patterson, Hardaway - end of the bench Wang Zhi-Zhi, Najera, Harvey
thats 12

just a thought - lets think about that:
Bradley, Mason, Dirk, Fin, Nash
Howard, Dickerson, Hardaway, Booth, Patterson?
sounds fun to me ... thats a second starting 5 ...

just a thought though ... and it wont happen, since CWebb will come here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

loool

j

Old 07-19-2001, 06:02 AM   #20
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Looks like I owe you a drink Mr. DJ ...

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]