Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
The Dallas Mavericks have no excuse for that loss
It’s true the Mavericks are missing four rotation guys. It’s likely smart in a long season to rest Kristaps Porzingis with Dallas playing their fifth game in seven nights. Dallas played last night on the road. The start of this season has been unkind at times to the Dallas Mavericks, there’s no doubt about that.

But they have no excuse for their collective effort. The Houston Rockets experienced a season shifting trade recently. Against Dallas, they were missing three rotation players, two of which are arguably their best players in Victor Oladipo and Christian Wood. They’ve played five games in the last eight nights. They, too, played last night on the road.

And yet, their entire team played hard from the opening tip. Dallas, as a team, often played like a team taking a nap. It was gross to watch.

Tim Hardaway is too important to play that badly
It’s one thing for Hardaway to start the game 0-for-6, which he did, but where he crushed Dallas was everywhere else. The Rockets bullied him on the boards, he was tremendously unaware on defense, and he also couldn’t hit a shot for most of the game. He’s too valuable to be that inconsequential or ineffective.
Again, they're not "rotation guys." They're starters.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Again, they're not "rotation guys." They're starters.
1st off it depends when you say starters because most people on here will say DFS, Powell and Kleber aren't starters when they want the narrative to fit under normal CIRCUMSTANCES.

2nd of all as the guy from mavsmoneyball mentioned in that game article Houston was playing their 5TH game in 8 days, which is why he pointed out they had played just as much as the Mavs and still played with GOOD EFFORT.

He didn't bring up talent or coaching for either side. He brought up EFFORT.

They were playing without both Oladipo and Woods which isn't exactly chump change those two guys would both start in Dallas over Kleber, DFS, Powell and Richardson.

So let's not minimize their absence because everyone on here would take those two guys in trade straight up for our borderline starters that were missing.

It's cool we all love the Mavs but trying to defend their effort especially on defense by saying they played 5 games in 7 days doesn't cut it because the guys that did suit up simply didn't match Houston's effort.

They got out worked by guy's like Nwamba, Kenyon Martin Jr, Sterling Brown and M.Jones.

Those are all bench players for Houston not starters.

The difference is they weren't just out there trying to shoot the ball they were out there trying to rebound and defend as well.

Can't say the same for a guy like THJ who has played 38 & 31 Minutes the last two games registering 0 assist, 0 steals, 0 blocks and just 4 rebounds.

So last night that reminded me that the Mavs still have too many guys on the roster that if they aren't shooting and making shots they pretty much bring you nothing else to the table.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-24-2021 at 01:36 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:08 PM   #3
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1st off it depends when you say starters because most people on here will say DFS, Powell and Kleber aren't starters when they want the narrative to fit under normal CIRCUMSTANCES.
DFS, Richardson, Kleber, KP are the Mavs starters. It doesn't depend on anything. That's 4/5 of our starting lineup. The ONLY thing it could depend on is maybe when all those guys come back, Rick still has WCS starting, with KP at 4 and or DFS coming off the bench. But I doubt it.

Quote:
So last night that reminded me that the Mavs still have too many guys on the roster that if they aren't shooting and making shots they pretty much bring you nothing else to the table.
The Mavs are not that good. I think most people would agree with that.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-24-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:12 PM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
It's cool we all love the Mavs but trying to defend their effort especially on defense by saying they played 5 games in 7 days doesn't cut it because the guys that did suit up simply didn't match Houston's effort
Just to be clear, not once did I ever defend or even mention "effort." This has absolutely nothing to do with me loving the mavs.

I was merely taking issue with you and the Mavs Money Ball guy called the missing players "rotation guys." Richardson, DFS, and Kleber and some guy named Kristaps Porzingis. That's four out of five starters. Not "rotation guys." Maybe this is just an issue of semantics, but I think of a "rotation guy" as, well, not a starter. I think of bench guy that plays a handful of minutes a game. Boban is a rotation guy. Iwundu, Johnson, Green... rotation guys. And so on.

So fine, the Mavs gave a bad effort last night. I'm not even disagreeing. But I'm looking forward to seeing what a lineup of Luka/Richardson/DFS/Kleber/KP will actually be like together more than I'm lamenting the effort of a completely decimated roster.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-24-2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:38 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just to be clear, not once did I ever defend or even mention "effort." This has absolutely nothing to do with me loving the mavs.

I was merely taking issue with you and the Mavs Money Ball guy called the missing players "rotation guys." Richardson, DFS, and Kleber and some guy named Kristaps Porzingis. That's four out of five starters. Not "rotation guys." Maybe this is just an issue of semantics, but I think of a "rotation guy" as, well, not a starter. I think of bench guy that plays a handful of minutes a game. Boban is a rotation guy. Iwundu, Johnson, Green... rotation guys. And so on.

So fine, the Mavs gave a bad effort last night. I'm not even disagreeing. But I'm looking forward to seeing what a lineup of Luka/Richardson/DFS/Kleber/KP will actually be like together more than I'm lamenting the effort of a completely decimated roster.
Must spread rep
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:44 PM   #6
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm not even disagreeing. But I'm looking forward to seeing what a lineup of Luka/Richardson/DFS/Kleber/KP will actually be like together more than I'm lamenting the effort of a completely decimated roster.
You and me both

Any lineup that put's THJ back on the bench where he belongs is just fine by me.

Still can't believe for a guy that touches the ball so much he hasn't recorded a single assist in the last two games (Ball Hog)

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-24-2021 at 11:45 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote