Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default "I'll pay the fine."

NEW YORK -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was fined $10,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for inappropriate public comments after a loss to the San Antonio Spurs on March 5.

In the game, Mavericks forward Michael Finley was ejected for elbowing Bruce Bowen. But television replays showed both throwing elbows, and Bowen said after the game they bumped each other.

The Spurs won 113-100, and Cuban said in published reports that he asked one of his players to retaliate against Bowen.

"I told one of our guys when you get up close, slap the ball right into his face and I'll pay the fine," Cuban said. "That's just not right. Different refs have different characteristics in how they call games and that was par for the course."

ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2004, 05:20 PM   #2
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: "I'll pay the fine."

Inappropriate comments? Yes. But what's that fine gonna do. That's like my boss fining me 10 cents.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE:"I'll pay the fine."

Read Cuban's blog online for the real story on the fine. He says he was fined for talking to the media, not for what he said to Josh Howard. Supposedly his comment to Howard was made even before the Finley-Bowen incident although the media has said Cuban told Howard to hit Bowen after the incident.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:32 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I sincerely hope Cuban eventually gets suspended by the league. I'm tired of his b.s.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

This fine's nothing more than a slap on the wrist, which is all that was deserved, IMO. My biggest problem with what he did was in talking to the media, just because this kind of controversy isn't really helpful for the Mavs or the NBA. I really don't mind what he said to Howard, though.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
This fine's nothing more than a slap on the wrist, which is all that was deserved, IMO. My biggest problem with what he did was in talking to the media, just because this kind of controversy isn't really helpful for the Mavs or the NBA. I really don't mind what he said to Howard, though.
Indeed. Nobody likes cry babies. It was just one incident, and he should just get over it.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:27 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

What Cuban said is absolutely unacceptable for an owner to say.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:31 PM   #8
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Question to you, Murph..Would it be anyy different if a coach said it ?

Just wondering ...
Old 03-17-2004, 08:31 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Your opinion is noted Murphy. I agree in principle that he shouldn't have said it (though perhaps my objection is motivated by different considerations), I just don't think it's that big a deal.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:45 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Question to you, Murph..Would it be anyy different if a coach said it ?

Just wondering ...
For either to do so is unacceptable.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:58 PM   #11
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Ok, Murph..I thought so...I've got the same problem with it.

I saw some of that in a HS game this year...I was in the first row behind their coach ...and I wanted to puke...

Old 03-17-2004, 09:03 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Cuban cannot afford to act like the least mature of all fans. He is an owner. I'm sorry, it is not acceptable. If you are in a position of power, you should be fined for saying something similar to what he said.