Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-03-2003, 05:43 PM   #1
cin

cin is on a distinguished road
Default Carlisle named head coach of Pacers

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle....toryID=3383091

Carlisle Named Head Coach of Indiana Pacers

Wed September 3, 2003 05:56 PM ET

INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - Rick Carlisle, the NBA coach of the year for 2002, returned home as head coach of the Indiana Pacers Wednesday, back to the team he served as an assistant three seasons ago.

Fired as coach of the Detroit Pistons after leading them to the best record in the Eastern Conference last season, Carlisle replaces Isiah Thomas, who was sacked last week by Pacers' president of basketball operations, Larry Bird.

"I'm obviously thrilled to be back in Indiana with an opportunity to work for the Pacers," said 43-year-old Carlisle, who helped them to the franchise's first trip to the NBA Finals in 1999-2000.

"I said when I left, this is one of the best jobs in professional sports and my opinion hasn't changed.

"I've always had great respect for and enjoyed working with Donnie Walsh (Pacers CEO) and Larry Bird."

Carlisle spent two seasons as coach of the Pistons, leaving with a 100-64 record.

In his first season in Detroit, Carlisle led the Pistons to the club's first Central division title since 1989, earning coach of the year honors.

Last season, Carlisle took his team to the conference finals for the first time since 1991, but they were swept aside in four games by the New Jersey Nets and that sealed his fate.

Carlisle and Bird's friendship extends back to their playing days with the Boston Celtics, bringing an NBA title to Boston in 1986.

"I know our fans are familiar with him and I look forward to a great year," said Bird. "I've had great respect for Rick, both as a player and as a coach.

"He has tremendous knowledge of the game and I firmly believe he is the right coach for this team"
cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Carlisle named head coach of Pacers

Hell yeah! The Bird-Carlisle team is back in business! They got stopped short of the finals a couple of years back, but now they will have many more chances to come... This is great, great news for the Pacer Nation...

It's time to get back to business...
Old 09-03-2003, 06:31 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Have to wonder if Carlisle is going to have problems with some of Thomas's holdovers.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:26 PM   #4
JamisonJigga

JamisonJigga is on a distinguished road

I might be wrong, but I don't think Carlisle will be able to do much more than Thomas did. I've heard that Carlisle didn't have a very good relationship with some of the Motown players. (If he couldn't get along with them, imagine if he'll get along with Ron Artest.) Personally, I think Thomas did all he could for the young team, and I think it might have been a mistake to get rid of him a month before training camp.
JamisonJigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:26 PM   #5
JamisonJigga

I might be wrong, but I don't think Carlisle will be able to do much more than Thomas did. I've heard that Carlisle didn't have a very good relationship with some of the Motown players. (If he couldn't get along with them, imagine if he'll get along with Ron Artest.) Personally, I think Thomas did all he could for the young team, and I think it might have been a mistake to get rid of him a month before training camp.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
JamisonJigga

My bad for the double post!
Old 09-03-2003, 08:34 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

JJ, even though he didn't get along with the players on the Pistons, they still had back to back 50win seasons. He did that on a team with less talent and less chemistry, so imagine what he'll do with this team.

But for some reason, i don't think the Pacers are going far as they think they are. I'd expect them to get out of the first round, but that's pretty much it.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:35 PM   #8
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

This is the best move the pacers have made in the whole off-season. Rick Carlisle did great in detroit with mideocre talent.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:21 PM   #9
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Larry Joe is back in business now, the east is still wide open. The Pacers will win 50 this year.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:52 PM   #10
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I don't think the east will be as open as last year. Detroit took over and cleaned house this offseason. They got the possible/probable rookie of the year, a good 3rd option at center (Elden Cambell), resign Rip, Barry replacement in Bob Sura, and an ok shooter in Lindsay Hunter. Plus you add in Tayshaun Prince who proved himself in the playoffs, and a former and still good 6th man of the year in Corliss Williamson. Watch out for the Pistons here fellas.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 09-03-2003, 11:23 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Best thing to happen to the Pacers ever. Carlisle is a winner.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:40 AM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

darko is a possible rookie of the year? he's good, but he's more of a future star, not a first year star. and bobby sura is no jon barry (man, i would have loved to have barry on this team. that guy plays with FIRE)

but yes, we knew it was coming, but great move by the pacers.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:09 AM   #13
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Actually I think with all the assets the Pacers have on their roster this team should be considered a big-time contender now that Carlisle and Bird are onboard.

Still, I don´t think this is the final team Carlisle will go to war with - I´m pretty sure those Pacers are 1-2 major roster changes away from beeing the team Carlisle envisions, and I am not sure that Artest and maybe (after his bad start) Jermaine will be long-time Pacers.

With Miller opening more and more PT at the 2, the emergence of Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender, and a maturing Jamal Tinsley they might be willing to do some moves to get the right guys needed for a good starting 5, and they already have a nice bunch of solid and valuable Role Players to complete the picture.

Moving Jermaine and Artest for some nice pieces (Garnett maybe?) might give Carlisle the team he wants to coach ...
Old 09-04-2003, 02:02 PM   #14
Nash13
Diamond Member

BBL, I didn't mean another or better Barry, i meant they replaced his position after he left.

~The Salesman