Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-27-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default Should we be worried?

Alright. Our good ol' Mavs have won 18 of their last 19.

18-1 ? Sick sick sick.

So, why are we only 1.5 games up on the Spurs? The Spurs who have a hobbled Tim Duncan, an Argentinian who can't stay on the court, and dying role players in Barry, NVE, Fin and Horry.

Am I being paranoid? Shouldn't we have pulled away a bit more than 1.5 games? I'm feeling kinda pessimistic, come assuage my fears, board gurus.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

well, if you consider our wins against them coming up.. we will be 3.5 games ahead

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

We have palyed some pretty decent teams during this stretch. The San Antone game this week will tell a lot, but I think you are pre-nervous about the SA game. Buck up brother....this Dallas Mavericks team is legit. They are damn strong as the game goes on and they never say die.

That is a championship quality.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Worry isn't the word I'd use but it's a little troublesome that we're only 1 game up on them right now. Especially with the way the Mavs have been playing compared to the Spurs.

The final 2 meetings in SA will be huge.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
Jet Terry

Jet Terry will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
We have palyed some pretty decent teams during this stretch. The San Antone game this week will tell a lot, but I think you are pre-nervous about the SA game. Buck up brother....this Dallas Mavericks team is legit. They are damn strong as the game goes on and they never say die.

That is a championship quality.
So are the Spurs but I guess you don't want to hear that. The spurs have a low post prescence and the best defense in the league.
Jet Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

And yet they are looking up at a superior team. But I guess you don't want to hear that. Must you infect every thread with ignorance Jet? What a moron.

Last edited by Drbio; 02-27-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:37 AM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Smack.

*ouch*

Next?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:50 AM   #8
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Parker is doing alot to carry the Spurs and even though Duncan is hobbled, he's still playing moderately well (although it has been 10 games since he's scored >20). I think that San Antonio's success thus far this season should be attributed less to the players and more to the system installed by Popovich. Every player knows their role and their defense remains air-tight not because of talent (though that certainly does play a role) but because of execution. If you look at the Spurs' stats, no individual player is really putting up gaudy numbers (a la Kobe, LeBron, Dirk), even Duncan is having a pretty mediocre year (by TD standards, of course). The Spurs run like a classic Aston Martin - the parts might be a little rusty but it still runs better than your average Mustang. Dunno how good that analogy is but what the hell.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 AM   #9
Jet Terry

Also the spurs gotta a lot of athletic players built to shut down their opponents. Bowen is physical and moves well on defense. Ginobili and Parker are very athletic and quick. Duncan has great timing and is able to close the open space on defense. No shots are easy shots against the spurs. The game can get pretty ugly and that is how good the spurs defense is. Having Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Bowen is far from not having a lot of talent. The system helps but these are talented players on both sides of the court and especially defense.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:04 AM   #10
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I didn't say that they didn't have talent, merely that their system wasn't predicated on talent. I feel that this is the case because the Spurs have managed to maintain their defensive intensity/dominance despite tinkering with their roster quite a bit over the past few years (Finley, Barry, NVE, Marks, Oberto, Udrih, Mohammed). Hell, even Nesterovic and Horry have only been with them since the 03-04 season and Ginobili was still coming off the bench. So, what is suggested when there are alot of changing parts but the result is the same? That there is a good system.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

People should only be worried if they don't enjoy tight stretch runs for the best record in the Western Conference. Do I think the Mavs will capture the #1 seed? Yes, but not by much. Would I be surprised if the Spurs won the division? No, not really. It's going to be a dog fight... and regardless of the outcome of this coming Thursday, it's still going to be a dog fight. That's just the way it is. I for one am looking forward to this.... This will be one hell of a final 25+ games.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:10 AM   #12
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
People should only be worried if they don't enjoy tight stretch runs for the best record in the Western Conference. Do I think the Mavs will capture the #1 seed? Yes, but not by much. Would I be surprised if the Spurs won the division? No, not really. It's going to be a dog fight... and regardless of the outcome of this coming Thursday, it's still going to be a dog fight. That's just the way it is. I for one am looking forward to this.... This will be one hell of a final 25+ games.
Agreed, if the Mavs can make it through this season and come up on top, when there are three teams in the league on pace for 60+ wins...well hell there's no better claim to legitimacy than that. No "*" next to our championship, no "Duncan was hurt, Amare was hurt, XYZ was hurt". This site will be inundated with new Mavs-lovers.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:15 AM   #13
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Thursday chaffy. Thursday.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:17 AM   #14
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
well, if you consider our wins against them coming up.. we will be 3.5 games ahead

ahh nothing like a jinx

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:19 AM   #15
Jet Terry

That's a big longshot to beat San Antonio in San Antonio and San Antonio is capable of winning on the road as well. Heck they won all 3 road games against us in 02-03. Duncan and Bowen is the anchor of their defense. The other players are average to slightly above average on defense.

Last edited by Jet Terry; 02-27-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:26 AM   #16
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Terry
That's a big longshot to beat San Antonio in San Antonio and San Antonio is capable of winning on the road as well. Heck they won all 3 road games against us in 02-03. Duncan and Bowen is the anchor of their defense. The other players are average to slightly above average on defense.
Quote:
Also the spurs gotta a lot of athletic players built to shut down their opponents. Bowen is physical and moves well on defense. Ginobili and Parker are very athletic and quick. Duncan has great timing and is able to close the open space on defense. No shots are easy shots against the spurs. The game can get pretty ugly and that is how good the spurs defense is. Having Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Bowen is far from not having a lot of talent. The system helps but these are talented players on both sides of the court and especially defense.
I'm confused, what exactly is your stance on the Spurs' defense and on their respective individual talents?

Last edited by orangedays; 02-27-2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:27 AM   #17
Drbio
Banned

hahahaha.....what a doofus.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:27 AM   #18
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart
ahh nothing like a jinx
C'mon man, where's the faith?
Old 02-27-2006, 01:32 AM   #19
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Worried? No. Cognizant of the fact that there outside of the Mavs there are at least two other first rate teams in the NBA this season with very real championship aspirations and possibilities? Absolutely.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:33 AM   #20
Jet Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
I'm confused, what exactly is your stance on the Spurs' defense and on their respective individual talents?
Duncan and Bowen are incredibly talented defensive players. The other players are slightly above average or average. They are hidden due to talent of those 2 defenders. So as long as you got those 2 out there along with a system that stresses defense the spurs will shut teams down. I am pretty consistent with this.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:43 AM   #21
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

That's quite opposite to what I see, I've always felt that these year's version of the Spurs will not win it all because of their lack of athleticsm.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:50 AM   #22
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's quite opposite to what I see, I've always felt that these year's version of the Spurs will not win it all because of their lack of athleticsm.
Agreed, the Spurs are getting a little dusty. Duncan's 30, and with the exceptions of Parker and Udrih (1982) and Ginobili and Mohammed (1977), pretty much everyone else on that team is 30+...Bowen's 35, Finley's 33, Barry's 35, Van Exel's 35, Horry's 36...them Spurs need a spit shine.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:43 AM   #23
Jet Terry

Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan are all still young and athletic. Sure some of their role players are old but their best players are in their prime. The bench isn't as athletic but who depends a ton on their bench in the playoffs?

Last edited by Jet Terry; 02-27-2006 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:50 AM   #24
orangedays
Platinum Member

Good points, but Jordan and Pippen didn't win championships by themselves. Neither did Shaq and Kobe. Role players always play a critical part in any championship run so I think the key question would be - will the Spurs role players be able to step up when the time is right despite being past their prime? Will Big Shot Rob still be able to hit that big shot? Will Van Exel have the energy to swagger? Will Fin be able to keep up with younger slashers? I wouldn't discount the importance of a bench too much - the Spurs aren't like the Pistons where the starting 5 play a ton of minutes together, there's substantially more substituting going on. In the playoffs the bench usually shortens to around 8 - which means that players like Fin and Horry will still get substantial minutes.

Last edited by orangedays; 02-27-2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:42 AM   #25
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone who's been following the Spurs for the past couple of months would know that while the Spurs are winning, they've been winning pretty ugly. The Mavs have had their share of ugly wins as well, but not to the same extent of the Spurs.

IMO the single biggest reason they've still accumulated so many wins is Parker's elevated play. Also, lets not forget that outside of the Spurs and Mavs, the West is considerably weaker than it was last year. And that bench is pretty damn deep, albeit pretty old.

But aren't things like age and athleticism bigger factors in a seven-game series than they are in the regular season?

Quote:
That's a big longshot to beat San Antonio in San Antonio
How the hell do you figure that? Tough game? Absolutely. But "big longshot"? Hardly. The Mavs have the second best road record in the league (19-7 to Detroit's 20-7)

Edit: To answer your question Chaffy, I think GMC summed it up. We shouldn't be "worried" at all, but merely aware of the fact that the Spurs and Pistons are legit. As for how little space there is between us and the Spurs in the standings; we'll just have to wait and see how the next two games against them turn out.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 02-27-2006 at 03:46 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:53 AM   #26
Jet Terry

Well the spurs have been dominating as of late while the mavs are coming back from behind to win games. Since the all star break the spurs have played better. Yes the mavs can beat San Antonio in San Antonio but that is the hardest win in the nba. The spurs are really tough at home. Much more than on the road.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:16 AM   #27
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Two-game swing anyone?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:19 AM   #28
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Man... It's good to know that we don't have to be worried at all, since Jet Terry does all the worrying for us...

Thanks, Jet, you're such a mastermind, always able to speak the wise thought, always able to separate yourself from the others... You're so controversial one might just think that you're a prophet...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:24 AM   #29
Jet Terry

Well I do try to avoid the simple minded thoughts like (insert stat here) vs. (insert stat here) and use that as the only way of thinking who's better. I also am a realist and not afraid to say the spurs are better. The mavs still have a way to improve before they can reach the spurs level. Dallas though is not far behind and if they get the lucky breaks they could find themselves better. Who knows?
Old 02-27-2006, 04:26 AM   #30
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well the spurs have been dominating as of late while the mavs are coming back from behind to win games. Since the all star break the spurs have played better.
Since the all-star break? That's been what, 3 games?

Blowing out a decrepit Seattle and a Baron-less Golden State is not what'd I'd call impressive. Also, they blew a huge lead against Memphis, whom had just played a very taxing game against the Mavs the night before.

Try looking at the last 10, 15, or 20 games instead of the last 3.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 02-27-2006 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:28 AM   #31
Arne
Golden Member

Arne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud ofArne has much to be proud of

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edit: Nevermind...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul The Revolution - A Manifesto

Last edited by Arne; 02-27-2006 at 04:28 AM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:31 AM   #32
Jet Terry

Well I guess if we're talking about the regular season the mavs have a chance to be better than the spurs but come playoff time the spurs rely on penetration and the mavs rely on jump shots. I remember this being a problem last year in the playoffs. Just check the mavs and rockets series to see how relying on jump shots do in the playoffs.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:34 AM   #33
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Well I guess if we're talking about the regular season the mavs have a chance to be better than the spurs but come playoff time the spurs rely on penetration and the mavs rely on jump shots. I remember this being a problem last year in the playoffs. Just check the mavs and rockets series to see how relying on jump shots do in the playoffs.
I couldn't disagree anymore. If anything, I didn't think the Mavs were driving TOO much and not taking good shots. This was excrutiatingly so in Dirk's case. The Mavs' problem last year on offense wasn't settling for jumpshots, it was ball movement.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:40 AM   #34
Jet Terry

Well I see the ball movement still being a problem this year as well. The only difference is that Dallas is a better rebounding and defensive team. The mavs will have to grind out wins in the playoffs because the spurs will shut down any team no matter how good their offense is (See the Kings). Dallas will have to return the favor of shutting down San Antonio.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:50 AM   #35
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Well I see the ball movement still being a problem this year as well.
Perhaps, but I don't think it will be anywhere nearly as much of a concern as it was last year. Really, I think we can just chuck that up to Avery having been coach for only a few weeks. The team just wasn't ready.

Quote:
The only difference is that Dallas is a better rebounding and defensive team. The mavs will have to grind out wins in the playoffs because the spurs will shut down any team no matter how good their offense is (See the Kings). Dallas will have to return the favor of shutting down San Antonio.
So what are you saying? That the Mavs will have to play good defense? I thought we all knew that already.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 02-27-2006 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:01 AM   #36
Jet Terry

The mavs have inconsistent defense. Some nights their defense looks pretty bad. They need to have some consistency in their defense as well as their offense. With the mavs you don't know what to expect. In the playoffs you need to be consistently good because you know the spurs will be. I would say spurs in 7.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:05 AM   #37
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
The mavs have inconsistent defense. Some nights their defense looks pretty bad. They need to have some consistency in their defense as well as their offense. With the mavs you don't know what to expect. In the playoffs you need to be consistently good because you know the spurs will be. I would say spurs in 7.
Fair enough, but I disagree. I don't think the Mavs have been nearly as inconsistent as you seem to, at least not anymore than the Spurs. If the series started today, I'd say Mavs in 6 or 7.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:18 AM   #38
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

Actually, I was thinking of making a similar thread. I am a little worried because we have about 4 more road games than we do home ones. They have just the opposite. Also...

-The remaining two matchups with them are in their building.

-Both teams have two more games vs. Phoenix, but we have one in Detroit. Whereas they are finished with them.

So, yeah, I'm a little worried; especially since I feel getting the number one seed would be a huge advantage.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:38 AM   #39
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

You've got no reason to be worried. They've got a tougher schedule than us from here on out.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:51 AM   #40
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

To state the obvious it is never easy to win the championship. It was more gratifying to beat the Lakers and win the championship in 2003 than it would have been had we not played them. If the Mavs do beat the Spurs in the playoffs I am sure it will be that much sweeter. As you all know it gets very tense for the fans but for all the times you have lost in the past ....that one time you win will make every one of those losses fade away... in other words grown men cry..strangers hug in the streets, high fives for stranger...
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote