Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-19-2001, 10:03 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Now this is just disgusting. DeShawn Stevenson of the Utah Jazz has been charged with raping a 14-year-old girl!

Stevenson accused of sex with 14-year-old girl

FRESNO, Calif. -- Utah Jazz rookie DeShawn Stevenson has been charged with raping a 14-year-old girl, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Stevenson, a 6-foot-5 guard who went from high school directly to the NBA last year, was charged last week in Fresno Superior Court, chief deputy district attorney Liz Mitchell said.

The 20-year-old Stevenson, a Fresno native who went to Washington Union H.S. in nearby Easton, faces up to three years in state prison if convicted. His whereabouts Tuesday were not immediately known.

Stevenson is accused of having sex with the girl during a visit to Fresno in the past six weeks, Mitchell said. She didn't have any other details.

A warrant was issued Monday for Stevenson's arrest, the Fresno County Sheriff's Department said.

The Jazz would not comment and Stevenson's lawyer, Richard Berman, did not immediately return a message from The Associated Press requesting comment.

"I didn't even know he played basketball," Mitchell said. "I have no idea what he was doing in Fresno."

This is the second time Stevenson has run into legal troubles since he was drafted in the first round by Utah last year.

On the night he was drafted, Stevenson was involved in a brawl at a high school all-star basketball game in neighboring Clovis.

Stevenson, who did not play in the game, said he was jumped by five men June 28 after signing autographs. He pleaded innocent to charges of fighting in a public place.

Source: Stevenson accused of sex with 14-year-old girl
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2001, 11:05 PM   #2
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

ugh... the Utah Jazz are falling apart. I feel bad for my Jazz fan buddies from sportstalk...
Old 06-20-2001, 07:37 AM   #3
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Crap...forget the Jazz...the world is falling apart. This is awful...but the sad thing is that it happens all the time so we're pretty numb to it.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:12 AM   #4
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I saw that, that's one of the most disturbing things in the world. The worst part about this is, if this was a regular 20 year old guy, I'd put my life on it that nothing would probably have happened from it. It's sick!
Old 06-20-2001, 10:30 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

nothing would happen with a normal 20 year old?
hell yeah it would. if the parents of the girls decided to press charges, you better bet that a normal 20 year old would be up shit creek
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 12:12 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

He's probably going to get off the rape charge... maybe plead it down to a misdemeanor and get probabation. The good news is that the girl will probably receive many millions of dollars in a civil suit. NBA atheletes are pretty good targets if you want to get a big settlement.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 12:33 PM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I phrased that wrong Murph, I meant to say it would be swept under the rug and no one would care about the fact that there is a 20 year old man having sex with a 14 year old girl. Because it is an athlete, everyone has an opinion on it.

Regardless, that's just nasty!
Old 06-20-2001, 05:57 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Athletes have a different punishment. They rarely get punished by the judicial system, but they get crucified by the public since every aspect of the event is published.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 06:10 PM   #9
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I think the mom is in it for the money. He new the girl for 5 years and told her mom over the phone that they were having sex.
Old 06-20-2001, 06:34 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't put it past someone to whore out their daughter to get a big payoff. We live in a sick world.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote