Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-26-2003, 01:41 AM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the good guys in this world......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Surgery now not an option for Oates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Former Rangers manager Johnny Oates' cancer has returned as doctors found at least two tumors in his brain, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Friday.

According to the report, doctors have also told Oates that the two tumors cannot be removed by surgery.

The cancer was first detected in October 2001, and Oates was told that he would only have four months to live if he opted not to have surgery. A month later, the former manager underwent surgery, and was cancer-free until a recent exam showed two tumors.

Since Oates can't have surgery this time around, doctors are treating the cancer with oral chemotherapy.

"We're just trying a new direction," Oates told the newspaper Thursday. "I'm feeling great. I'm doing everything I pretty much want to. I just can't use my legs too much."

Radiation has left Oates, 57, bald on the right side of his head, he has lost the use of his left arm and hand. But the former manager is upbeat and is living in Matoaca, Va.

"From the very beginning it has been tough," Boston Red Sox coach Jerry Narron told the Star-Telegram. "But the way he has handled it and his faith, the way he's shared his faith, has been a blessing. He's an unbelievable man, as anybody who knows him already knows."

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2003, 10:55 PM   #2

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

i hope nothing but the best for him
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Johnny Oates was a good guy. Pudge is a strong catholic, and Oates would always let him take Sundays off. I miss him(along with Pudge)
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote