Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-31-2005, 11:14 PM   #41
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Michael Finley #4 Appreciation Thread

Very well put, FFM. Very well put. I suspect that Nash and Dirk both owe a debt of gratitude to Mike for his direction.

And I suspect that they know it.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2005, 11:18 PM   #42
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Michael Finley #4 Appreciation Thread

Thank you Michael Finley for being there when times were bad and bringing the franchise/city into respectability. Sorry your time with the Mavericks ended the way it did, but sometimes storybook endings don't and should not always occur in sports. Good luck with the Spurs, I will be rooting for you except during the times when you play my beloved Mavs. See you guys in the second round.

go mavs

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:22 PM   #43
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Very well put, FFM. Very well put. I suspect that Nash and Dirk both owe a debt of gratitude to Mike for his direction.

And I suspect that they know it.
Yea I think Dirk and Nash give Fin his due for that. I think the fans are the one who seem to overlook it.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 PM   #44
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

As a professional athlete, that is all he should be caring about anyways. The respect from his colleagues.

Contact Me
Old 10-29-2005, 03:33 AM   #45
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Took me a long time to bring myself to post here cause the man made me bitter by going to the Spurs, but I guess I'm over it. Fin's last preseason game reminded me of his greatness when he is on. 5 for 9 from the field, 12 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, a couple of steals -- all in 33 minutes. Not his best by any stretch, but it is preseason. He always had me believing in him to the very last day he was a Mav. As I reflect, I feel kind of sad because I recall how many times I felt his "stepping back" kind of took away from his game. Dirk wasn't the only one getting better year by year. Finley may have been the epitome of what we call a player with good work ethic. I believe his three point field goal percentage of the last couple of years atests to this. When he was on, he was an outright star on the court. No one can take that away from him. He always had me hoping that one day he would be a player that was always "on". For some reason, he hasn't yet become that player. I always felt it was a confidence issue with Fin. I feel like if Fin had T-mac's confidence, he would probably get HOF recognition at the end of his career. I still think it's possible. He's an assasin so even when he does lose his athleticism, he'll still be able to reggie miller-it 'til he's finished playing. Anyway, here's to the man who brought me to tears by his play in that do-or-die game in Utah back in 2001. I'll never forget when he hit that impossible fade-away shot over the outstretched hands of Olden Polynice. Afterward, he pumped his fists and you could read his lips saying 'thank you'. I always believed he was saying 'thank you' to God after that shot. He was the ultimate underdog. And I love the underdogs. He was ridiculed by hall of famers, and he made those hall of famers eat their words. God bless him.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:34 AM   #46
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm done with him, he's a damn spur for goodness sakes. Maybe I can get little nicky to lean over and F'em for me. He's done.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:31 AM   #47
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I'm done with him, he's a damn spur for goodness sakes. Maybe I can get little nicky to lean over and F'em for me. He's done.

[img]i/expressions/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 12:05 PM   #48
alby
Guru

this thread should be deleted

or be put in around the nba =]

Contact Me
Old 10-30-2005, 12:01 AM   #49
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

nice post jleefilled and why does it say you have 0 posts [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Quote:
As a professional athlete, that is all he should be caring about anyways. The respect from his colleagues.
He's been had that but what amazes me is how the fans here can literally hate him when he is probably the one that’s most responsible for getting us to a championship level team.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:29 AM   #50
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Michael Finley, for sticking around when no one wanted to play for the Mavs, and helping take it to the level it is today. Seeing those pics make me miss him now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2005, 12:39 AM   #51
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I said I would stay away from this thread but what the hell. I can't let this thread die down. I think its a f$%king disgrace that there are only 37 replies in this thread but we can give 60+ to a Najera or Jason Terry appreciation thread. Unbelievable
I think the reason why there were only 37 replies here is the posters that gave everyone a bitter taste in their mouth. Most people appreciate Finley. Very few people were motivated after all this disgusting drama that has taken place over the last couple of months.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:18 AM   #52
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The order of people I want to see win a championship, because I think they deserve it the most for what they have done for the Dallas Mavericks franchise I have loved for twenty years:

1) Michael Finley - Perhaps along with Rolando Blackman, the most "professional" player to ever wear the Mavericks jersey. Probably gets the nod for the reason that it was more difficult to make a pretty face of a moribund, dreadfully embarrassing team like the one Finley came to than it was a young expansion team like the one Blackman was on. Based on his contributions to the franchise, the most deserving Maverick (past or present) of the ultimate recognition of his career. Extra credit for his fierce competitiveness and his extraordinary ability to lead off the court while stepping back on the court so other talents could thrive, yet step up himself and carry the team on his back at crucial times. If the current iteration of the Mavericks were to win a title, he would receive a share.

2) Steve Nash - The only Maverick to have been recognized as the league's Most Valuable Player. And even still, probably underappreciated for his contributions to arguably the best team in Mavericks history. Was the straw that stirred that drink, if you will, the salsa on that burrito. Like the top choice, always a good guy on and off the court. Played for under market value his last few years here and never complained about it. Extra credit for making Dallas fans forget about Jason Kidd. Might be third or fourth on list, but gets bumped to this spot by way of spite points, as Mavericks ownership did not extend him the same loyalty he extended to the franchise.

3) Dirk Nowitzki - Arguably the most talented player in Mavericks history. Would rank higher on this list if he seemed to want a championship for Dallas as much or more than he wants a championship for himself or his country. But the best, and only, chance for the current Mavericks iteration to win a championship, so the place holds.

4) Don Nelson - Edges Dick Motta as the best coach in Mavericks history for the fact that he did more with less. Unconventional designs and willing to take huge risks rocketed the Mavericks from national laughingstock to national prominence. Gets extra credit since the current iteration of the Mavs still bears his unmistakable stamp in the form of Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard, and Marquis Daniels. Would be a top of the list if he were still coaching.

5) Donn Nelson - A quiet, but irreplacable, contributor to the success of the last several years. Extensive contacts around the league and around him the world make him perhaps the most valuable of all Mavericks going forward. Rising talent, and a championship under his watch would go a long toward keeping him here for a good, long while.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:24 AM   #53
MrCheerios

MrCheerios is on a distinguished road

Do most people really appreciate Fin? I feel that he's the least respected out of the big three. He certainly gets the least gratitude considering he stayed on board when we were the laughing stock of the nba. Just a show of hands, who here would still cut Fin with the amnesty? And who here wouldn't?
MrCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:01 AM   #54
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

#1MavsFan: nice post jleefilled and why does it say you have 0 posts

thanks #1MavsFan, I decided to go with a different user name than the JLEEHASMUCHGAME thingy b/c I just got sick of seeing all those capital letters.

mr. cheerios, that is a tough question for me to answer. can I get back to you after this year? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote