Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-23-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
mavsfan7

mavsfan7 is on a distinguished road
Default Stackhouse

Im sorry to start a new thread but no one seemes to respond to this in the game thread. He was awful tonight. At the beginning f the game he was forcing shots, and then on the fast break he decides to take it hmself instead of pasing to a wide open Howard. He gets fouled and mises one of his free throws. That play right there cost us a chance at overtime. He was supposed to step up but it would have been better off if he never even played in this game. Hes played well form us in some games, but these last few hes been forcing shots when people are drapped all over him. Its driving me nuts. He would take the outside jumper tonight and miss and continue taking them. Hello if youre not on quit shoting over people and try driving to the rim. I just ddint like him in this game at all. He needed to step up. Hes the vet on this team and he looked like the rookie. Josh was the best person on the floor tonight, and to think when we get fully healthy Stack will be taking minutes away from him cause Nellie likes Stack so much. Sorry I just had to rant and rave cause no one else seemed to be too hard on Stack, but hes the one that should have been playing like our leading scorer was out. He didnt. He sucked tonight.
mavsfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2004, 12:37 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stackhouse

I have to agree, that play you mentioned where he didn't pass it off po'd the heck out of me. He had a terrible game. And I thought not having 'quis take the last shot in the paint was horrible.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:59 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Stackhouse

I've been trying to figure out why some are so excited with Stack's play. In the last 8 games, he's averaging:

270 minutes (34)
48-122 fg (39%) 15 shots per game
6-24 3pt (25%)
36-44 ft (81%)
138 points (17)
28 rebounds (3.5)
26 assists (3.2)
11 steals (1.4)
17 turnovers (2.1)
0 blocks

And those stats look good when you consider his averages for the last 4 games:

132 minutes (33)
21-65 fg (32%) 16 shots per game
0-9 3pt (0%)
16-20 ft (80%)
58 points (14.5)
16 rebounds (4)
13 asssits (3.2)
6 steals (1.5)
7 turnovers (1.75)
Old 11-23-2004, 07:06 PM   #4
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

fwiw, I read this in the star telegram.

"Don Nelson said forward Jerry Stackhouse apologized to him after he missed 12 of 17 shots during Sunday's 110-82 loss at Denver."

I'm upset as about anybody watching stack make mistakes like not getting the ball to the open man, shooting horrendously, or not stepping up and leading this team when it needed him the most, but I'm also not ready to write him off. It's still too early in the season to get overly up or down about anyone on the team, including stackhouse, imo.

JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

How soon folks are willing to forget about Stack's back-to-back 28 point games of a week and a half ago...

Stackhouse is a classic, ideal scoring 6th man, but as such, he is going to have his on-nights and off-nights. His shot wasn't falling last night, but then again it was easy for the TWolves to key in on him defensively without Dirk and Fin keeping them honest with their shooting, so I'm not going to condemn Stack for not being able to put our depleted squad over the top against the healthy TWolves. That said, I don't expect that Stack shooting performances as bad as last night's will be a very common occurence this year, and I would bet Stack will rebound sometime in the next game or two and rip off a good 20-30 pt performance against San Antonio and/or Portland.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:40 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I strongly disagree Evil. His play has been horrible IMO. Those two back to back 28 point performances were nice but being i've seen this before except his name at the time was Nick Van Exel. Granted, Nick had inconsistent performances like Stack did back when he was a Mav but he hit clutch buckets. Stack doesn't do that even though he has the ability to drive to the rack at will. Two 28 point performances doesn't get you a past when the other 9 games 12 games you play like crap. His defense earlier in the season during his 28 point games were a surprise. I haven't seen that in awhile. Stack doesn't deserve a pass on his play.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:10 AM   #7
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, FFM... Stack has looked bad over the last couple of games, and he certainly doesn't have the clutchness of a Nick Van Exel (not many do), but I'm still going to hold back from ripping on the man unless his recent offensive inefficiency continues unabated for a few more games. As I stated above, playing without Fin and Dirk makes it much easier for opposing defenses to key in on Stack, so I honestly think his production is going to end up looking much better once the man can get back to his natural role as a 3rd/4th offensive option coming off the bench, commensurate with the hopeful improvement of the Mav's overall injury situation...
Old 11-24-2004, 08:55 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Stack is going to be inconsistent. He was inconsistent in his younger years when he actually had much more explosion in his game. So, I'm not sure why anyone would think that he'd be any less inconsistent now. He will have games where he hits 60%+ of his shots and there will be games where he can't hit the broad side of the barn. That being said, I think I like the idea of having him on this team. Ideally, Stackhouse doesn't need to be the go to guy on the court too often. He's just runs too hot and cold. But yeah, he can be a guy that you can bring off the bench to win you some games. He'll also be a guy that you'll bring off the bench for 5-10 minutes and you'll quickly realize that it just isn't his night.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:16 AM   #9
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Fin gets hot and cold, Dirk gets hot and cold, Terry gets hot and cold, and yes, Stack gets hot and cold.

If Fin and Dirk were healthy, then Stack having an off night is not that bad. It is only exaggerated because he basically is the offense with Dirk and Fin out, and Terry hobbled.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:32 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Fin gets hot and cold, Dirk gets hot and cold, Terry gets hot and cold, and yes, Stack gets hot and cold.

If Fin and Dirk were healthy, then Stack having an off night is not that bad. It is only exaggerated because he basically is the offense with Dirk and Fin out, and Terry hobbled.
Obviously all players get hot and cold. However, Stack's swings will be a bit more extreme. Most scorers that hit a low percentage of their shots do have more extreme ups and downs. Plus, with Stack losing some of his explosiveness, the lows will be a bit more often now that he'll probably be a bit less capable of getting to the rim than earlier in his career.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:27 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202

The difference between Stack and the others you listed is that it seems like when Stack keeps shooting he passes on passing the ball to his teammates. Fin has his 5-22 performances but those shots he missed are most definately open. That's not the case with Stack. He's forcing shots on a 5-22 night.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:31 PM   #12
Azn_Baller101

Azn_Baller101 is on a distinguished road

STACK for Artest and a 1st!!
Azn_Baller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:46 PM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Obviously all players get hot and cold. However, Stack's swings will be a bit more extreme. Most scorers that hit a low percentage of their shots do have more extreme ups and downs. Plus, with Stack losing some of his explosiveness, the lows will be a bit more often now that he'll probably be a bit less capable of getting to the rim than earlier in his career.
I think his swings will level out with Fin and Dirk coming back, and him not being the "veteran" go to #1 offensive threat. I could be wrong, but I think once they get a few more games together, he will find his niche, and quite possibly be the 6th man of the year. Yes, he has lost a little explosiveness, but still has enough to get him to the rim as well as anyone on the team. I think the knee injury probably plays a litte bit in that as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
The difference between Stack and the others you listed is that it seems like when Stack keeps shooting he passes on passing the ball to his teammates. Fin has his 5-22 performances but those shots he missed are most definately open. That's not the case with Stack. He's forcing shots on a 5-22 night.
I agree with Stack forcing right now. I also think he sees himself (and maybe coaches as well), as the #1 option right now with Dirk and Fin out. Since he is the #1 option, he has to score for the team. I think this is causing some pressing, and pressure that he didn't have to deal with when Dirk was in there. I would be curious what Fin would be doing if he were playing right now, and Stack/Dirk were out...not that I ever want that to happen. Give it time, and I think it works itself out.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Azn_Baller101
STACK for Artest and a 1st!!
If he is out this entire year, the Mavs would be getting ripped. Now after the finals ---- another option to look at. Personally I wouldn't, but that is because I think Howard is becoming that good anyway.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 11-24-2004, 03:12 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Oh sure Dalmations, I completely agree that Dirk and Fin make it easier on Stack...especially Dirk with his ability to draw double teams.

Stack can't be the#1 option that he once was because he's lost a step ...lost some explosiveness. At times, he's turned into a jump shooter. Frankly, he's just not a good enough jump shooter to justify being a jump shooter. He has to have the ability to drive to the bucket as well. With Dirk out, he doesn't always have that option. So, more often than not, he just has to be another cog in the wheel offensively. Unfortunately with Dirk and Fin out, that's all they have. Yes, some of the players are capable for going off for 20 or even 30 from time to time, but the consistency isn't there with any of them at this point in their careers. Either they're past that point as in Stack or they haven't quite gotten there with the young trio.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:34 PM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Oh sure Dalmations, I completely agree that Dirk and Fin make it easier on Stack...especially Dirk with his ability to draw double teams.

Stack can't be the#1 option that he once was because he's lost a step ...lost some explosiveness. At times, he's turned into a jump shooter. Frankly, he's just not a good enough jump shooter to justify being a jump shooter. He has to have the ability to drive to the bucket as well. With Dirk out, he doesn't always have that option. So, more often than not, he just has to be another cog in the wheel offensively. Unfortunately with Dirk and Fin out, that's all they have. Yes, some of the players are capable for going off for 20 or even 30 from time to time, but the consistency isn't there with any of them at this point in their careers. Either they're past that point as in Stack or they haven't quite gotten there with the young trio.

I can't believe it... Murph and I agree on something. This is why I think Stack can be a good #2-#3 option or 6th man....just not the #1 guy anymore. I agree with all you wrote here.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:07 PM   #16
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I like Stack's ability to drive to the bucket. I hate it when he shoots outside of 15 feet.

That is why Stackhouse compliments Finley so well. With Finley out, Stack's horrible shooting becomes magnified.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:09 PM   #17
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I like Stack's ability to drive to the bucket. I hate it when he shoots outside of 15 feet.

That is why Stackhouse compliments Finley so well. With Finley out, Stack's horrible shooting becomes magnified.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote