Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-23-2004, 11:39 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default DMN Notebook

Notebook: West powers slump into faceoff
Mavs or Spurs will have a three-game losing streak after tonight

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

SAN ANTONIO – Some teams want to get over the hump. The Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs are more interested in getting over the slump.

Two of the traditionally strong Western Conference rivals lug two-game losing streaks into tonight's matchup, the first between them this season.

There was a disparity of viewpoints regarding the Spurs after a light workout Tuesday. Coach Don Nelson had nothing but praise for the Spurs, widely regarded as the team to beat for the NBA title.

"They're the big boys on the block," Nelson said. "There's no question they are heads above the rest of us – now that the Lakers are among the rest of us. So it's going to be a real good learning experience for us. Hopefully, we'll have a chance to win."

The Mavericks, who are two games into a 12-game stretch that features nothing but playoff-caliber teams, once again will be without Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley. But center Erick Dampier said they still have enough weapons to pull off an upset.

"Even with those guys out, we still had a chance to win that game [against Minnesota]," he said. "We have enough talent on the court to win these games.

"We think we're just as good as the Spurs when we have everybody healthy. The West is up for grabs. There's no guarantee that they're going to win the West."

Injury update:

Dirk Nowitzki put in a Lance Armstrong-like effort on Tuesday, riding the stationary bike for about an hour during practice. He shot some free throws and may be available against Portland on Friday if his sprained left ankle continues to improve. He's been ruled out of tonight's game.

Michael Finley, meanwhile, continues to receive treatment on his sprained right ankle.

Favorable reviews:

The Mavericks lost to Minnesota on Monday, but after going over the film Tuesday, the one-point loss revealed a lot of positives – particularly at the defensive end.

"We just committed too many errors, particularly with our young guys," Mavs coach Don Nelson said. "But that's acceptable, as long as you learn by it."

Nelson said the Mavericks guarded Kevin Garnett as well as they ever have.

"We were missing some parts on the offensive end," he said. "And then, one of the guys you really need to step up, like [Jerry ] Stackhouse, can't find a shot to go in. We still were in position to win. That's how good we played on the defensive end. So I'm very, very excited about parts of our game."
Old 11-24-2004, 01:17 AM   #2
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: DMN Notebook

I like hearing Nelson being positive! This stuff along with taking Josh Howard aside and telling him he's a good player and all.....
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:27 AM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:DMN Notebook

Quote:
Two of the traditionally strong Western Conference rivals lug two-game losing streaks into tonight's matchup, the first between them this season.
You ready for this, Vinnie? I really hope Stack can rebound and Howard can threepeat.

I have faith in this team, and I stand by my bet, but I certainly didn't bargain for a Finley and Dirkless team with a diminished Terry.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:16 AM   #4
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:DMN Notebook

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
I like hearing Nelson being positive! This stuff along with taking Josh Howard aside and telling him he's a good player and all.....
No doubt Dub.

Either Nellie believes it, or hes on his last straw this season and will be positive all year.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote