Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Is there somewhere one can go to look at the math/argument between the value of the two roles?
I don't have anything to link to off the top of my head, but 150-200 innings vs 70 innings if fairly straight forward and a pretty strong starting point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't have anything to link to off the top of my head, but 150-200 innings vs 70 innings if fairly straight forward and a pretty strong starting point.
I would guess that those innings aren't equally valued, though.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Look, I get the impact the position can have and I understand how demoralizing it can be to lose a 1 run game that you have led throughout because you can't shut the door in the 9th inning. While this certainly wasn't a 1-run game, I STILL remember that Baltimore game from last year (and this is where you ask "which one?").

That said, 200 innings from a guy that can be as dominant as I feel Feliz can be is definitely WAY more important than a position that often times (as Thiggy pointed out) comes in with a 2-3 run lead and has to literally suck a great deal to blow the save.

Sure, there are 1-run saves and sometimes you even use your closer in tie games when you bat last trying to ensure the other team fails to score.

That said, if I were in the shoes of the decision makers I would have made a trade for a closer or stuck Ogando in there and put Feliz in the rotation. I just would have. Some of the struggles from Lowe/ODay/Rhodes won't end up carrying over once the season starts as a couple of these guys regularly suck in ST and do very well when it counts.

I don't know - to me, you put a guy in the rotation if he has ace potential, wants the ball every 5 days, and has shown he can be successful in the major leagues. You do that every single time. Every. Single. Time.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They're not, but there would have to be a huge difference between the values to make up for that big of a discrepancy in the total number of innings.

Closers aren't even utilized to maximize their value. If they were used as a fireman, being used in the highest leverage situation every game, the argument would at least be better.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote