Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-22-2007, 01:45 AM   #81
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
Man, did that just kick them in the balls or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
You mean kick Stern in the mouth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Obviously at the same time.

Edit: Oh duh. Yup.
This is pure gold, and quite possibly the best sequence ever.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2007, 02:07 AM   #82
And1

And1 will become famous soon enough

I hate to see players get injured...but it is pretty nice to hear many on this board saying they would have rather schooled the Heat with Diva in the line-up.
And1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:23 AM   #83
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the Dwade on the video. That looks painfull.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270221010
Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 AM   #84
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

oh thank god And1 approves of us.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:37 AM   #85
And1

And1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
oh thank god And1 approves of us.
except you

Last edited by And1; 02-24-2007 at 12:49 AM.
And1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:47 AM   #86
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i fully expect once stern catches wind of this to suspend battier for the remainder of the season.

i also expect diane wade to be back after the dallas game. book it.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:12 AM   #87
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

BLOGFISH

Rest In Peace, Dwyane Wade

[By Mike Fisher - DB.com]

As we get ready to roast D-Wade and "The It Team'' of the NBA tonight, we learn that we can only microwave the Heat. Because they were already roasted last night in Houston. But Miami will have an excuse: Wade -- who defies mathematicians and true tough guys everywhere by falling down seven times but getting up eight -- fell-down-go-boom against the Rockets.

And he didn't get up from the floor. ... except to go to the bench, tears welling up in his eyes.

And he didn't get up from the bench. ... until a WHEELCHAIR was rolled down the baseline to carry him to the locker room.

And he didn't get up from the WHEELCHAIR until he moved himself to a STRETCHER.

And he didn't get up from the STRETCHER until he was driven to a Houston hospital.

And, I assume, he will not get up from the hospital unless Aladdin's rug, Cleopatra's barge or H.G. Wells' time machine pulls into the handicapped driveway to carry him.

Karma, you see, has a hellacious sense of humor. Wade -- taking over from Kobe as the NBA's resident Drama Queen and taking over from teammate Shaquille O'Neal as the NBA's resident Speaker of Stupid Things -- spends a great deal of time pretending he's hurt.

Now, maybe he really is. Maybe.

A layman's guess at his fourth-quarter injury? I guessed it was a hyper-extended left shoulder. Wade's dramatic reaction? I guessed it was a late bid for an Oscar. Maybe I'm wrong; Wade didn't make the trip to Dallas last night, and therefore, it's possible that the reaction wasn't yet another attempt to prove himself a "warrior.''

Kids, I've experienced a separated shoulder. It does sting, yes. But for Christ's sake, a hurt shoulder DOESN'T affect one's ability to WALK!! (The shoulder bone is not connected to the thigh bone, is it?) Oh, and while I'm getting my cynicism out of my system: My friends, I've been attending NBA games on an almost-nightly basis for 17 years. ... and I didn't even know the medical staffs at arenas HAD wheelchairs laying around!

Anyway, before I could Wade out of tonight's game. ... what a "warrior'' he would be if he lept from a hospital bed to play in a nationally-televised game! What a "champion'' he would be if he made a last-minute emergency trip from Houston to Dallas just in time for tipoff! What a "courageous hero'' he could be if somehow, will his shoulder -- which almost certainly must be, by now, ravaged by cancer and/or frozen with paralysis -- into cooperating as he leads his sub-.500 team to. ... yet another loss.

Yeah, Wade and the Heat are going to get crushed by the fired-up Mavs and a liquored-up 8:30 p.m. audience. Book it.

Dwyane Wade will absorb a million more "devastating blows.'' Miami will absorb yet another loss.

But, most importantly, D-Wade will get another TV commercial out of it.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:19 AM   #88
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Bravo! D-Wade will play tomorrow. The national media will be all over how he's a hero (and won't mention how they fell for that publicity stunt). Mavs will win by 14, but Stuart Scott will be quoted as saying "..the real story of this one is Wade's refusal to let his team down". He didnt break anything. He didnt dislocate his shoulder. There wasnt a lot of pressure going onto that shoulder. you hurt yourself bad when you apply your body weight to an ankle, a knee, a wrist. He just fouled Battier-- I can't see how it is serious. Many baseball players as well as other athletes have totally dislocated their shoulder and shoved it back in and continued. There isnt anything wrong with a man showing pain but when you are an insecure primadonna that starts fights and advertise yourself as the hardest working guy in the game (when Dirk works his ass off and probably outworks Wade), you dont get sympathy when you totally overreact.

Forget Cate Blanchett, Wade should be up for Best Supporting Actress.

Tomorrow is a standings game only. We won't get any credit for beating the Heat with or without Wade and we certainly will be penalized for having an off night if we lose.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-22-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:31 AM   #89
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He had to get helped off on a wheelchair? What an f'ing vagina.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 AM   #90
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

How about a new nickname? DWheels?
ilMavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #91
Triple T's

Triple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of lightTriple T's is a glorious beacon of light

that is at least a 2 month week injury at a minimum for a basic dislocation not including full rehabilitation. O well...

what people dont understand is that with a dislocation, its incredibly painfull. Every step you take. So rather than risk any further injury or prolonged effects from trying to walk, the training staff too extra caution n getting him to the proper medical authorities so that xrays could be taken and the joint could be reset.

"I am a enforcer man! Don’t nothin go down in my house! It's 100 percent heart baby! Sure I jack a few fools. I give em tha pain! But sometimes its about intimidation you know, its mind games…."
-Terry Tate

Last edited by Triple T's; 02-22-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Triple T's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #92
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbsezwazup
The Great Emmitt Smith finished a football game with a hurt arm worse than that.
The Great Emmitt Smith didn't just finish a game with a similar injury, he won a game with a similar injury.

a game that clinched a first round bye and homefield through the playoffs.

Emmitt = Great
Dyanew = Diva
Old 02-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #93
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

caught Bill Walton's audio from the game last night. With typical hyperbole, Walton described Wade crying on the bench in terms like "the embodiment of toughness."

jay-suess H, how much toughness does it take to sit on a bench and cry?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #94
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Diva is a total wuss. One of my friends played our entire freshman football season except for the last game with a separated shoulder at line backer. And he never once shied away from a collision. He'd have played the last game, but the doctor wouldn't sign off on it. Least Diva could have done is left the arena on his own 2 feet. What a total prima donna.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #95
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Wade's pain is others' gainby: John Hollinger
posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

If the New Jersey Nets were hoping to get a boost at the trade deadline, they sure got it. The twist is that, after weeks of rumors involving potential Nets deals, this boost had nothing to do with their own deal making.

Instead, the Nets' playoffs hopes are vastly improved today because of the demise of one of their rivals, Miami, thanks to Dwyane Wade's dislocated shoulder and the impending resignation of coach Pat Riley. (OK, I'm kidding on that last part. But have you ever seen somebody's karma account evened in such dramatic fashion? Somewhere, Stan Van Gundy is laughing his mustache off.)

To continue reading this article you must be an Insider.

Any insiders want to share the rest of this one?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #96
RePLAY

RePLAY can only hope to improve

Haslem's thinking: "There he goes agian...acting as usual. He'll be back in 2 games and score 50."

RePLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #97
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB
Diva is a total wuss. One of my friends played our entire freshman football season except for the last game with a separated shoulder at line backer. And he never once shied away from a collision. He'd have played the last game, but the doctor wouldn't sign off on it. Least Diva could have done is left the arena on his own 2 feet. What a total prima donna.
exactly. emmitt smith played the entire 93 playoffs with a separated shoulder and won superbowl mvp. separating a shoulder hurts but it shouldnt make a grown man cry. It definitely shouldnt make a professional athlete not be able to walk off the court.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #98
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Rox fan: "Wait till David Stern sees this!"
Old 02-22-2007, 06:57 PM   #99
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

The foul they didnt call on Wade will be assessed to Battier as a flagrant 2 because of the harm done. Futhermore any contact at all whether created by Wade or not will result in immediate flagrant 2s against anyone touching wade becuase of his vulnerability. A message has to be sent. If Wade tries to steal the ball, you better let him.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-22-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #100
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
Wade's pain is others' gainby: John Hollinger

If the New Jersey Nets were hoping to get a boost at the trade deadline, they sure got it. The twist is that, after weeks of rumors involving potential Nets deals, this boost had nothing to do with their own deal making.

Instead, the Nets' playoffs hopes are vastly improved today because of the demise of one of their rivals, Miami, thanks to Dwyane Wade's dislocated shoulder and the impending resignation of coach Pat Riley. (OK, I'm kidding on that last part. But have you ever seen somebody's karma account evened in such dramatic fashion? Somewhere, Stan Van Gundy is laughing his mustache off.)

To continue reading this article you must be an Insider.

Any insiders want to share the rest of this one?
Seriously any insiders here want to share the rest of this story?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #101
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
Seriously any insiders here want to share the rest of this story?
puh-LEEZE??
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #102
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Wade's pain is others' gain
by: John Hollinger

As things stand today, the Heat are 26-27 and in possession of the eighth seed in the East, but without Wade it's hard to imagine that situation remaining the same for long. The Heat are 1-6 when Wade hasn't played this season, with all six losses in double figures.

And in the other 46 games, it's only been the brilliance of the league's top-rated player that has kept the team's head above water. As I've been pointing out since the third week of the season, Wade's supporting cast has been horrid.

Yes, Shaquille O'Neal is back, but this isn't the Shaq of old. Minus their lone superstar (sorry, Shaq), it's tough to imagine the Heat winning more than a third of their games -- and that may be generous, considering they were barely over .500 even when Wade played.

Estimates of Wade's absence seem to be running between four and six weeks; based on Miami's upcoming schedule, that would knock him out for between 13 and 20 games. If it's the shorter of those estimates, the Heat might be able to survive the blow. Say Miami guts out a couple tough wins and manages to go 4-9 without Wade, dropping it to 30-36. The Heat could still make up ground in the final 16 games, and with a fairly light closing schedule the Heat might still get back to the 40 or so wins they'd probably need to get a playoff spot.

But if he's out six weeks, forget it. Then we're talking about 20 games, and if the Heat go 6-14 in that stretch (which might be optimistic) they'll be 32-41 by the time Wade gets back, with only nine games left to repair their record. Meanwhile, with New Jersey at 25-30 this morning and expecting Richard Jefferson back in early March, it stands to reason the Nets will end up around the 40-win mark themselves. So unless the Heat ran the table when Wade came back, they'd be looking at lotteryville.

Of course, New Jersey isn't the only beneficiary of Miami's misfortune. The Knicks and Magic also have brightened their outlooks. Orlando is just 14-24 since its torrid start and has fallen below .500, just percentage points ahead of Miami in the current playoff pecking order. With the Magic's puzzling decision to stand pat at the trade deadline, the Wade injury may be what they needed to get into the postseason. And unbelievably, the Knicks aren't out of it either. New York is only 24-31 after last night's inexcusable mail-in effort against Philadelphia, but the Knicks have a favorable schedule and own the head-to-head tiebreaker against the Magic.

Finally, Wade's injury also puts us one step closer to what would be an unbelievable development -- a defending champion returning the same roster intact and ending up in the lottery. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...hollinger_john
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #103
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep... played high school football with a kid that had to have his shoulder put back in place usually 1-2 times a game...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:47 AM   #104
stoble

stoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nicestoble is just really nice

I hope New Jersey takes that 8th playoff spot but I think New York will take it
stoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:48 AM   #105
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I hope the heat get into the playoffs. Then bounced in the first round, it will be delish. No ping-pong balls for you.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 AM   #106
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

A guy on the varsity basketball team at my high school badly dislocated his shoulder this season to the point where surgery was an option as well. He was on the court just laying there for like 10 minutes as they were trying to pop it back in place, and they were finally able to after that long. No crying, even though it's a 17 year old in intense pain. He was back playing after missing only 2 games, wearing a shoulder brace only due to coach's orders and playing just as effectively.

DWhistle is a wuss.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 02-23-2007 at 02:42 AM.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #107
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

BLOGFISH

WWJD: 'Wade, Would Jesus Dramatize?'

[By Mike Fisher - DB.com]

His robe was not dipped in blood, and He wore not sandals but Converse. There was a puddle of shower water on the Heat's locker-room floor. He was not available to walk on the water. ... but I betcha He could've wheeled across it.

It was to be yet another miraculous performance by Him, more evidence that He is the kingdom an the power and the glory. Everyone from the NBA refs (annointing Him the Finals MVP) to Sports Illustrated (naming Him its Athlete of the Year) to CBSportsline's Tony Meija (who says He is "the king'' and "it'') has declared that He is The Way, and The Truth, and The Life. So who are the Mavs -- despite defeating Miami 112-100 on Thursday -- to argue?

His team has fallen 28 times and gotten up 26 (thus Miami's sadsack record of 26-28). He falls down seven times and gets up eight, which is a miracle due to its mathematical imbalance and can only mean one thing: He didn't fly in an airplane from Houston, the site of His figurative cruxifiction, to Miami. He surely ascended to Miami.

He is risen.

He would not have lost this game, of course. The other members of this .500 "It'' team, the Apostles. ...er, His teammates, lost it. Antoine Walker and James Posey, who somehow managed to be suspended for being out of shape during the season! Shaquille O'Neal, the elephantine circus act! Three-Point Shootout ace Jason Kapono, destined to be a new-age Tim Legler! Present Miami point guard Jason Williams, who in his heart believes that past Miami point guard Timmy Hardaway has a point -- except it's not the gays who deserve hatred but rather the Asians! And of course, coach/not-coach/team president/retired/coach/not-coach/unretired/coach Pat Riley, who dismisses "interim coaches'' so easily by greasing the skids of their departure. And how does Riles grease the skids? By placing his head against the skids, of course.

Most of all, though, there is Him.

I wanted to ask Him if all authority has been given to Him in Heaven and on Earth.

I wanted to get nearer to Him, to see if on His thigh was a name written King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

I wanted there to be a press conference, so maybe Babe Laufenberg or Dale Hansen or Mark Followill or me or somebody could say to Him, "So You are a king?"

And He could have answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice. I and Commissioner Stern are one."

And then I could consider stoning Him, but He would say onto us, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?"

And indeed, He had shown us many miracles. The 28 points per game. A marketing plan to rival "American Idol's.'' A press conference at the Finals last summer during which He was accompanied by a box of Kleenex (he had the sniffles) and now, the empathy of a kingdom because He sustained a shoulder injury and required being nailed to a wheelchair and then a stretcher.

Had He arrived in Dallas, somebody -- maybe it would've been Newy Scruggs or Mike Doocy or Chuck Cooperstein or somebody -- would've piped up. "We are not stoning you for any of these," one of us would reply, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."

Instead, I was left with the results of a game without Him. He had come to seek and to save that which was lost. ... and now what's lost, apparently, is six weeks-to-forever of recovery time before He can return triumphant.

Was I certain He wasn't here? After the game, I thought I'd make one more attempt to find Him. Or even His shroud. A burning bush. Anything. So I trotted out to the Heat team buses. I noticed coach Riley tipping each of the two bus drivers (I believe Stan Van Gundy was behind the wheel of one, and Ron Rothstein behind the wheel of the other). And then I saw the AAC garage door roll back. It was very large. And entering the garage, I saw a young security guard sitting on the right side, dressed in a white robe; and I was amazed. And he said to me, "Do not be amazed; you seek Him, whose team was crucified, 112-100 by the Mavs. He has risen, He is not here.''

He will rise again. Because He falls down seven times. And He rises eight.

Last edited by kriD; 02-23-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #108
kriD
Platinum Member

The big hurt

Dwyane Wade is mulling season-ending surgery or a return after six weeks of rehabilitation. Coach Pat Riley said a decision could take days.

BY MICHAEL WALLACE
mwallace@MiamiHerald.com

Heat guard Dwyane Wade is back in Miami considering his options for repairing the dislocated left shoulder he sustained late in Wednesday's loss in Houston.

Among those options are immediate surgery, which would end his season, or a six-week rehabilitation period and a possible return in time for the playoffs.

Wade flew back to Miami early Thursday on a private plane accompanied by Heat trainer Ron Culp. He was examined by Heat physician Dr. Harlan Selesnick and underwent magnetic resonance imaging at Doctors Hospital in Coral Gables. Initial tests taken in Houston and Thursday's MRI revealed a dislocation, team officials confirmed.

Wade returned to the hospital Thursday afternoon and met with team doctors for about 50 minutes to examine the test results. Wade left the hospital at about 3:40 p.m. in a black, late-model BMW driven by his wife, Siohvaughn. He did not stop to speak with reporters gathered across the street from the hospital.

Wade probably will seek a second opinion to be safe, and plans to consult his family as well as Heat coach Pat Riley before announcing his decision.

''We leave it up to the doctors to explain everything to him,'' Riley said before Thursday's game in Dallas. ``We always left it open to our players to get a second opinion if they choose. When it comes right down to it, the player always weighs all the options and makes the decision.

``In the next couple of days, I do think he'll make a statement.''

Riley said he had not spoken to Wade on Thursday.

''I wrote him a letter today, Fed Ex-ed it, because his mailbox was loaded on his phone,'' Riley said. ``It's right to his house.''

In a radio interview Thursday with WQAM, Heat general manager Randy Pfund said it could take days before Wade and the team decide which course to take.

''It's a significant injury, and we're obviously looking at some time where, with any of the options provided, we will be playing without him,'' Pfund said.

Even if Wade is able to return before the end of the season April 18, he still likely would require offseason surgery, which would jeopardize his summer commitment to help the U.S. national team qualify for the 2008 Olympics.

EXTREMELY PAINFUL

A dislocated shoulder can be extremely painful and can sideline a player for weeks or months, said Dr. Joe Fernandez, chief of orthopedics at Baptist Hospital, who specializes in sports injuries to the shoulder.

At the top of the humerus -- the bone that runs from elbow to shoulder -- is a round bone called the humeral head. It fits into the glenoid socket in the scapula, or shoulder blade, like a ball-and-socket trailer hitch.

A ring of cartilage called the labrum holds the head in the socket. In a dislocation, the head is pulled out of the socket, creating great pain that is partly relieved only when it is pushed back in.

Typically, the accident strips at least part of the labrum off the front of the socket. When this happens in Wade's age and weight group, Fernandez said, it will heal on its own 60 to 70 percent of the time within four to six weeks. In 30 to 40 percent of cases, it must be reattached to the socket with dissolvable staples via arthroscopic surgery -- requiring three to six months to heal.

A dislocation also can tear ligaments or tendons in the shoulder or even damage nerves, making the injury more serious, Fernandez said.

Heat guard Eddie Jones was in a similar situation in 2001 when he missed 15 games with a dislocated shoulder, and returned later that season despite weakness in the shoulder.

ATTEMPTED A STEAL

Wade sustained the injury when he attempted to steal the ball from Shane Battier as the Houston forward was driving to the basket. Wade immediately left the game and was taken to the locker room in a wheelchair.

Wade remained in Houston overnight as the team flew on to Dallas, where it played the Mavericks on Thursday night.

Wade, the NBA's fourth-leading scorer, already had missed seven games this season with injuries. He missed four with a sprained right wrist and three after having wisdom teeth extracted.

''I definitely understand he probably wants to tough it out and come back as soon as possible,'' Heat forward Udonis Haslem said. ``But just like the situation with coach Riley, sometimes health is more important and you need to take time off. It's a situation where you need to think about what's best for him healthwise.''

Wade's shoulder is the latest in a line of devastating injuries for the Heat. Center Shaquille O'Neal has missed 39 games with knee and calf injuries. Guard Jason Williams has missed 20 with knee, ankle and abdominal injuries. Reserve forward Wayne Simien has missed most of the season with a salmonella infection.

Riley had just returned Wednesday after missing 22 games for knee- and hip-replacement surgeries.

''Obviously, it's a setback, you're losing the MVP of the Finals last year,'' said Heat center Michael Doleac before Thursday night's game. ``So, it's something that can't be discounted. It's another speed bump in our road. We've had guys out all year, injuries all year, and it's got to be something we absorb and deal with.''

Last edited by kriD; 02-23-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #109
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Fisher has lost it.