Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-10-2001, 05:40 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Just heard that the Mavs have shipped Eisley and Hill off to the Knicks for Bogues and a $3.2mil exception. Has this been confirmed?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2001, 05:49 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs close to dealing Eisley
Dallas would get Bogues from Knicks

08/10/2001

By Jodie Valade/The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks were near the completion of a three-team trade Friday evening that will make clearer the team’s point guard position – and presumably, the Mavericks’ intentions to add one more.

Backup point guard Howard Eisley is the centerpiece of the trade from the Mavericks side, owner Mark Cuban said, and will be shipped to New York along with draft pick Kyle Hill in exchange for point guard Muggsy Bogues.

The Houston Rockets also are included in the deal, and they will receive the Knicks’ Glen Rice in exchange for Shandon Anderson.

The end result for the Mavericks isn’t just that they will exchange backup point guards. Most importantly, they will receive a trade exception worth about $3.1 million. It is that valuable trade exception that the Mavericks could use in acquiring their main off-season target, free-agent point guard Tim Hardaway.

Source: Mavs close to dealing Eisley
Old 08-10-2001, 08:06 PM   #3
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

In the last 24 hours I've seen 3 seperate deals reported as 'almost done' meant to send off Eisley and bring back Hardaway or a trade exception to use on Hardaway. Until someone reports one of them (or a yet a different one) as DONE, I'm going to hold off comment.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 08:12 PM   #4
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

And right after I said that--from NBA.com so its official:

NEW YORK, Aug. 10 (AP) -- The Knicks have traded Glen Rice to the Houston Rockets in a three-team deal that brings Shandon Anderson and Dallas' Howard Eisley to New York.

As part of the trade, which was announced Friday night, Muggsy Bogues goes from the Knicks to the Mavericks, and Dallas sends the rights to second-round draft pick Kyle Hall to the Rockets.

Rice, one of the best three-point shooters in NBA history, averaged a career-low 12.0 points for the Knicks last season when he was used primarily in a reserve role that he was unhappy with.

The Knicks acquired Rice from the Lakers last summer in the blockbuster trade that sent Patrick Ewing to Seattle. Bogues never played a game for New York after being acquired from Toronto in February in the Mark Jackson-Chris Childs trade.

The acquisition of Anderson and Eisley means that the Knicks, who already had a logjam at swingman, now have a similar glut at point guard.

Eisley, who mostly played shooting guard for the Mavericks last season but eventually lost his starting job, has primarily been a point guard during his seven-year NBA career. The Knicks already have two point guards, Mark Jackson and Charlie Ward, signed to long-term contracts.

The Mavericks have been eager to trade Eisley and have targeted Miami Heat free agent Tim Hardaway as his backcourt replacement. Dallas can now do a sign-and-trade deal with the Heat after acquiring a so-called trade exception from Houston that makes it easier to trade players whose salaries are not equal.

The Rockets acquired the trade exception just last week in the deal that sent Hakeem Olajuwon to Toronto.

The acquisition of Rice, along with the re-signing of Maurice Taylor, are the Rockets' first moves of the post-Olajuwon era.

Rice, a 12-year veteran and three-time All-Star, averaged a career-high 26.8 points in 1996-97 when he played for Charlotte. His numbers have steadily declined every season since then as he struggled to mesh with Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant in Los Angeles and Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston in New York.

Rice has averaged 19.5 points in his career, making 46 percent of his shots and 40 percent of his 3-pointers.

Rice's final game for the Knicks was not a memorable one as he shot just 2-for-10 and scored only five points in 35 minutes as the Knicks were knocked out by the Raptors in the first round of the playoffs for the franchise's earliest playoff exit in a decade.

Anderson and Eisley both started their careers with the Utah Jazz and were drafted by Scott Layden, who has since become general manager of the Knicks.

"Shandon and Howard are consummate professionals that will make an impact on this team," Layden said. "Being familiar with their careers and progress in this league, both players have consistently improved throughout the years and have thrived in many different roles on their respective teams."

Anderson averaged 8.7 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists for the Rockets last season, a drop-off from his stats of the previous season.

Eisley averaged a career-high 9.0 points and 3.6 assists for Dallas last season, his seventh. He made 107 3-pointers but shot just 39 percent from the field.

Bogues, a 12-year veteran, has a chronic knee condition that prevented him from playing last season.

Hill, a guard from Eastern Illinois, was chosen 44th overall in the draft.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:06 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I wonder if the tallest and the shortest players in the NBA have ever played on the same team before? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2001, 11:10 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I have to eat some crow here. I did my share of bad-mouthing Cuban for his 'care less' attitude of losing Booth.

But, he redeemed himself by signing Eschmeyer cheaply and still allow us to go after Duncan in a couple years.

Now, he has done the unthinkable--unloading Eisley's contract. I cannot believe it. We traded a draft pick that wasn't even going to make the team. We did take back Bogues but I doubt we see him in a Mavs uniform. It's just a matter of whether Cuban eats his contract or if another trade is happening that might of already been set up. Not sure where he'd go though.

A story at db.com says that Hardaway still might sign for the vet minimum which would allow us to go after another player--mainly Gatling or Mason possibly.

Whatever, it's clear that the Mavs are not done making moves. Wow, this off-season is turning out pretty damn well.
Old 08-11-2001, 01:00 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'd like to see something out of big E first... and his upside isn't as high as booth's....
i still believe that duncan is a pipe dream..but, we'll see
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 08:09 AM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I just noticied something - no 3 million dollar kicker from Cuban. I guess Cuban was serious about eliminating that from the Mavs transactions.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 01:29 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

Here's a post by mavsfan2121 from MavTalk:

Eisleys wife was making some stupid comments about this

"Just because an owner makes a promise doesn't mean the coach will keep them.
"Only time we got a shot at starting was when one of Big Don's pets was injured.
"Kissed us off with a DNP-CD against Utah too, that's what Big Don did to reward professionalism.
"Eisleys will show everyone - me and Howard are rich and we are off to a city where the fans, teams, and writers aren't prejudiced like in Dallas and Utah, and will appreciate a good starter."

so now nash because he straight up beat eisley out for a starting role is don's little pet....

here is another quote

"The first thing I want to do is thank Mark Cuban.
He has a big mouth, his promises aren't kept, but he spents his money.
I don't care what other players say - it is about the money.
Seriously, Mark paid us more last year than we made the six prior NBA seasons combined, and there are 5 more years guaranteed with even more money.

basically saying cuban is a liar but spends his money and then making it sound like they played cuban for a big contract.....

she did the same thing to utha when eisley came here....

glad there out of town....what stupid comments...if eisley was good enough he would have started but he is not
Old 08-11-2001, 01:42 PM   #10
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

That woman is living in a dream world. "We are off to a city where the fans, teams, and writers... will appreciate a good starter."

New York is the worst city in the country when it comes to ripping sports figures. New Yorkers are vicious. Eisley will get brutalized by EVERYONE if he plays like he did for us.

BTW, >I< appreciate a good starter. Eisley wasn't a good starter however.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 02:40 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

That was fun to read. Is there a link to the whole article? It's funny cause that is the same thing they did after leaving Utah. Is she really that dumb to think that NY is going to welcome them with open arms? Fans are already ripping on him. Does she really think he will fly if he goes through a slump like he did here last year? Good riddance.
Old 08-11-2001, 07:56 PM   #12
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Umm, DJ left out two paragraphs and switched the of the two segments he put in. This is important because if you look at the first letter of each paragraph it spell out "This is a joke". This was NOT an actual interview with anybody.
Old 08-11-2001, 08:17 PM   #13
djb
Administrator

Oh really? I just did a straight copy/paste from this thread. I guess it did sound kinda silly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2001, 08:22 PM   #14
djb
Administrator

Looks like the guy from MavTalk grabbed it from Ron's post over at LMF. Hehehh thx for the info Hoopsmeister [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Here's the original post:

Just in case you haven't seen this from late yesterday evening.

"The first thing I want to do is thank Mark Cuban.
He has a big mouth, his promises aren't kept, but he spents his money.
I don't care what other players say - it is about the money.
Seriously, Mark paid us more last year than we made the six prior NBA seasons combined, and there are 5 more years guaranteed with even more money.

"I appreciate that, and would have thought the fans would have appreciated us more too.
Since it was a decade between playoffs, and we were fourth in minutes on a team that won 53 games and even won a game with a last second shot, I expected a lot of love.

"All I heard was complaints about a late season slump and Hardaway, Hardaway, Hardaway.

"Just because an owner makes a promise doesn't mean the coach will keep them.
"Only time we got a shot at starting was when one of Big Don's pets was injured.
"Kissed us off with a DNP-CD against Utah too, that's what Big Don did to reward professionalism.
"Eisleys will show everyone - me and Howard are rich and we are off to a city where the fans, teams, and writers aren't prejudiced like in Dallas and Utah, and will appreciate a good starter."

I judge this is a transcript of a telephone conversation, part of the reason for the odd way the text is laid out.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:52 PM   #15
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Rob:

In '87-'88, Muggsy's rookie year, he played on the Bullets with Manute Bol.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 05:12 AM   #16
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

When I read tis on the CNN text when I just got home 2day I was shocked because there was nothing written about thta 3,1 Mil. $ exception. But I still don't like this deal too much. I hope it's gonna help them...
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote