Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #41
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

deal or no deal? i say....no deal! *hammers the glass box down*
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #42
BaylorTMW

BaylorTMW is on a distinguished road

Wow, stupid is running amok around here...

1. O'Neal is a better post up player than Dirk. He would give us more of a low-post threat, but i do not think he fills the need perfectly. Also, he is really a PF who had to play the 5 for Indy.

2. Dirk and Terry for O'Neal and Tinsely is just flat wrong. Realistically, we are giving up the #1 and #3 talented player in that trade, for a big drop to #2 and #4....

3. YOU DON NOT TRADE DIRK FOR O'Neal. Sorry that just needed to be said again...

4. Devin Harris for Calderon? WHAT!?!?! i like the idea of a more traditional PG, but how does Calderon make us defensively better? He is a better defender than JET, but that really isnt saying too much.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #43
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorTMW
Wow, stupid is running amok around here...

1. O'Neal is a better post up player than Dirk. He would give us more of a low-post threat, but i do not think he fills the need perfectly. Also, he is really a PF who had to play the 5 for Indy.

2. Dirk and Terry for O'Neal and Tinsely is just flat wrong. Realistically, we are giving up the #1 and #3 talented player in that trade, for a big drop to #2 and #4....

3. YOU DON NOT TRADE DIRK FOR O'Neal. Sorry that just needed to be said again...

4. Devin Harris for Calderon? WHAT!?!?! i like the idea of a more traditional PG, but how does Calderon make us defensively better? He is a better defender than JET, but that really isnt saying too much.
oneal really isnt a better post up player than dirk. if he was his percentage would be better.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #44
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
oneal really isnt a better post up player than dirk. if he was his percentage would be better.
Maybe not, but he is a threat, and that would allow Dirk to play out farther, and face up more while still allowing at least a little post-up threat on the court at the same time. He also is athletic and can block shots allowing Dirk to be help-side and rebound where he excels. He is an upgrade athletically from Damp, and a big upgrade offensively from Diop.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #45
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Maybe not, but he is a threat, and that would allow Dirk to play out farther, and face up more while still allowing at least a little post-up threat on the court at the same time. He also is athletic and can block shots allowing Dirk to be help-side and rebound where he excels. He is an upgrade athletically from Damp, and a big upgrade offensively from Diop.
Oh id love oneal and dirk. Hed be a MONSTER upgrade from the mavs current centers and id love to have him here. Im just not so sure that a lineup of Harris stack George Dirk and JO is so great offensively. Just play a box/diamond and 1(this is what miami did last year) and let everyone but dirk shoot from outside of 15 feet and that team struggles to score 95. People dont seem to understand that devean george sucks offensively. Ive always been puzzled by this.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 05-08-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #46
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh id love oneal and dirk. Hed be a MONSTER upgrade from the mavs current centers and id love to have him here. Im just not so sure that a lineup of Harris ? George Dirk and JO is so great offensively.
Against some teams I could see Harris, Ager, Dirk, JO, Benga/Diop (two shot blockers in the game).

Harris can get to the rim on about anyone.
Dirk can shoot and slash when not doubled/tripled.
JO can score inside when not doubled.

I could see a Posey, George, Stack all having roles though (if they are over-exposed).

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 05-08-2007 at 10:46 AM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #47
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with that lineup is that Dirk can't guard 3's, and Dirk can't drive against 3's.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #48
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
The problem with that lineup is that Dirk can't guard 3's, and Dirk can't drive against 3's.
if 3s have to guard him straight up, dirks perfectly fine against threes. the problem is any time diop is in the game no one has to pay any attention to him. he is the worst offensive player in the nba.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #49
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
if 3s have to guard him straight up, dirks perfectly fine against threes. the problem is any time diop is in the game no one has to pay any attention to him. he is the worst offensive player in the nba.
Well, he's fine against them because he can post them up, I agree.

Dalm's point though was that Dirk could slash in that lineup. I don't think so. I think that lineup turn Dirk into a jumpshooter because A. he has a quicker guy on him, so at best he's going to post up from the free throw line, and B. in that lineup an offensive blackholse is in the game, so Dirk is going to be doubled by a big at the free throw line.

Bottom line though, is that Dirk can't guard 3's. I just don't think that lineup works.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #50
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Well, he's fine against them because he can post them up, I agree.

Dalm's point though was that Dirk could slash in that lineup. I don't think so. I think that lineup turn Dirk into a jumpshooter because A. he has a quicker guy on him, so at best he's going to post up from the free throw line, and B. in that lineup an offensive blackholse is in the game, so Dirk is going to be doubled by a big at the free throw line.

Bottom line though, is that Dirk can't guard 3's. I just don't think that lineup works.
whether dirk can or cant guard 3s avery seems determined to make him do just that so i dont really see the problem with doing that for that particular lineup since i think we are going to see far too much of it anyway. Now the idea of making dirk guards 3s on a regular basis and whether or not its a good idea is another problem.