Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-30-2005, 12:55 PM   #481
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

Pure speculation. No quotes or anything. I don't see how he can argue this..
Old 06-30-2005, 01:00 PM   #482
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

I agree he's probably bored. There is not too much to talk about right now. Just thought I would post it to keep interest.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #483
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

Here is an interview with Rivera.

Rivera: I'm '100 percent' ready

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

IRVING – Cowboys right guard Marco Rivera saw his nine-year NFL career flash before his eyes in March when he injured his back during a workout.

Rivera, 33, said he sat in a hotel room in Baltimore, where he was accepting an Ed Block Courage Award for his 2004 season with the Packers, with his face in his hands.

“In a couple of days, I went from thinking I would never play again to hearing I’d be back on my feet in six to eight weeks,” Rivera said Wednesday during an interview with DallasNews.com.

Rivera, who received a $9 million signing bonus when he signed a five-year, $20 million contract with the Cowboys in March, underwent surgery to repair a herniated disk March 10 and is declaring himself “100 percent” ready for training camp. The Cowboys’ first practice is July 30.

Rivera touched on a number of topics during the interview. The highlights:

Q&A WITH MARCO RIVERA

Q: Do you feel like you’ve been given a second chance?

Rivera: That’s exactly how I feel. I mean, I feel like one of the young guys all of the sudden. I truly feel like I’m in my fourth or fifth season at this point.

Q: Are there any restrictions on what you can do during training camp?

Rivera: None whatsoever. If camp started tomorrow, I’d be out there. I passed the run test recently, and I’m lifting the same weights that I was lifting before I was injured.

Q: Coach [Bill] Parcells has said that you just need to be ready for the opening game. How many preseason games does it usually take you to feel comfortable?

Rivera: I need two games just to get the feel. All the work is done in practice. When you’re in camp, the first and second teams are still rotating. You’re not in shape to play the entire game. The first game, we’ll probably play a little. The second game a little more, almost all of the third game and the fourth game, we’ll only be in there two or three series.

Q: What do you think about Larry Allen moving to right tackle?

Rivera: He can do it, but I don’t know how realistic it is. We have too many young guys who are quality players. It’s difficult to switch positions and play at a high level.

Q: Some of the coaches have talked about how good Allen looks this offseason. What have you noticed about him?

Rivera: I can only compare it to a guy like Brett Favre, who is older than me. I think, like Brett, Larry is having fun again. His body is feeling good. He’s in good shape. You know, in two or three years, our bodies are going to start falling apart. It’s the nature of the beast. He knows that and wants to take advantage of this time when he’s feeling good.

Q: How does this line compare to some of those you played with in Green Bay?

Rivera: I’m not sure we have better talent, but I think we have the right stuff. The right attitude. Nobody even took a vacation. You see 30 or 40 guys in there working out every day. And that’s why I think we’re going to turn 6-10 into 10-6.

Q: So no vacation at all?

Rivera: Bill [Parcells] said he needed me here in June and July because I started from behind. But I was going to do it anyway. I’ll probably take a weekend vacation with the family at some point.

Q: Where do you usually vacation?

Rivera: I built a house in Puerto Rico two years ago. It’s a house built on family land. I’ll probably end up there someday. But after I’m through playing, I’ll be playing Mr. Mom for quite a while.

Q: What do you think of some of the young guys on the line?

Rivera: [Guard] Stephen Peterman is a guy who works hard and never complains. I think he’s going to be a good player. And [tackle] Jacob Rogers and Dan Campbell are some other guys who work unbelievably hard. I tease Dan that he’s getting old and will fall apart soon. I’m not sure he likes that too much.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #484
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Pete Hunter traded to the Jets for a conditional draft pick. A sixth that could go as high as a fifth.

I didn't hear this at the time, but last month the Cowboys signed the old 'Poke Izell Reese.

Man, I'm ready for some football! Training camp can't get here fast enough.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:07 PM   #485
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

This is Reese's second stop correct? Wondering is that the same Reese. Didn't he play some safety and corner for the Giants? Should be a good fit.

As far as the Hunter trade goes I mean I would've took a 7th rounder for the guy. He was one of those guys that was going to get cut anyway so might as well get something for him. If it could turn into a 5th rounder that would be great.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #486
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

This is Reese's 2nd trip through Dallas. If nothing else he's a really good special teams player.

Old 07-20-2005, 12:48 AM   #487
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait for the season to start. Anyone know how Terry glenn recovered / is recovering from his injury because he is a pretty vital part in our offense. That's where the cowboys began to significantly drop off last year, was after his season ending injury.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #488
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Good point about Glenn, alby. That, and the loss of Dan Campbell, were far more critical than I think most people give credit to. If Glenn stays healthy, I can't wait to see the turbocharged offensive attack we unleash on the NFC East.

I think this is really going to be a fun, fun season. I can't WAIT for training camp to start.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #489
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I can't wait to see Campbell and Glenn on the field at the same time as Julius. And also, it tends to slip peoples minds, but I can't wait to see Bledsoe. He used to be one of my favorites during his early Pat years, with Coates and MArtin. I hope he can regain that form with Witten and JJ
Old 07-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #490
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

i hope we're not going to be playing the same way as the early pats did.. setting passing attempt records and what not, yikes =\

Contact Me
Old 07-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #491
Flip41

Here is an interview I stole from DCC that they stole from someone else.

Stolen from Chocolate Lab @ The Ranch...

Are you 100%? Maybe 99.5%.... No, not really, I'm 100%, or I will be by training camp.

Ok, you've been playing catch with Bledsoe for a while now: How is he? He looks good to me. Of course, we don't have a defense right now, but he looks like he still has his fastball. He's got good WRs and a great TE here... He always loved Ben Coates in New England. With a good O-line -- and Bledsoe was telling me just a few days ago that he hasn't had many good O lines like this -- and the running back -- shoot, I don't even have to say anything about that -- I think he's set up to succeed.

How ready are you to come back? I'm so raring to go I can't tell you. I've had a long time off and Joe Juraszec has made me a lot stronger and a little bigger, and I feel as good as I have in forever.

What happened last year? Besides you being hurt, I mean. Well, I'm a competitor so I think my being hurt had something to do with it, yes. But with all due respect to Eddie George, I don't think we had a good running game like we needed. I really feel like this is going to be a different football team this year.

The Cowboys didn't take a WR in the draft. Do you believe in the guys you have, especially Quincy Morgan? Yes I do. He's a competitor and that's the main thing you want. He can catch, and he can get open. The main thing I need is for him to follow along with what me and Keyshawn are about to do. (???)

So you're going to become more of a vocal leader this year? That's right, yes I am.

The team by all accounts had a great offseason. Do you as a player look at what the team does as far as making the effort to improve?Yes you do. You always hope they will make the right decisions, but I have faith that Bill and Jerry and Stephen will make the right calls, and it looks like they did.

What do you think about the horse collar rule? I think the NFL just did a great thing. I think the penalty might should be 20 yards. I've seen a lot of people really hurt that way, and even though Roy is on my team... Well, I think the NFL did the right thing.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #492
Flip41

Here is another nugget.

Jean-Jacques Taylor: Ellis can't like what he sees

The fans think players should be loyal employees. What they seem to forget is that there's no loyalty in pro sports.

Don't forget Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry. Don't forget he cut Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith. None of those moves was personal. They were all business.

When a player or coach is no longer of value to the organization, they get fired. It's really that simple.

All Greg Ellis wanted to know two months ago was where he fit into the big picture. After all, he weighs only 270 pounds and Bill Parcells wants him to engage in hand-to-hand combat with left tackles, who will routinely outweigh him by 50-60 pounds.

Of the teams playing the 3-4 defense, he will be the lightest right end by 15 pounds. So why is this getting skewered by fans?

Ellis is no dummy. He can see the writing on the wall. And even if he couldn't, former teammate Dexter Coakley, one of his good friends, would probably let him know since it happened to him.

Parcells tried to give Coakley's position to Bradie James. When James couldn't win it, Parcells made the players split time. Later, he met with Coakley and told him that his production had decreased, so the Cowboys weren't going to give him a $500,000 roster bonus and that he could remain with the club if he took a 50 percent pay cut.

Coakley opted to sign a lucrative deal with St. Louis. Look for Ellis to find a team that appreciates him next year.

It worked out well for Coakley.

COWBOYS Q&A

Q: What is the health status of Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson?

Mark Kronick, East Greenwich, R.I.

TAYLOR: Each is ready for the start of training camp, and if Dallas is going to do anything this season, they're going to have to play well and stay healthy. Glenn was having a terrific year last season before he tore ligaments in his foot in October, which cost him the rest of the season. Johnson broke his leg in the final game after a nice season. Drew Bledsoe is a veteran, so it shouldn't take either guy long to get on board and find a rhythm with Bledsoe.

• • •

Q: Any word if La'Roi Glover is just as concerned as Greg Ellis about his role? In this new scheme, Glover doesn't even start, does he?

Mike Davis

TAYLOR: At the last minicamp, Glover said he's not going to be happy if he doesn't start and finish games. I don't think he's going to be happy. If you ask me, he has a point. Name me another player who has been to five consecutive Pro Bowls who has been relegated to second-team status without actually losing the job. And when you name me that player, tell me if he was mad or not. Now, none of that really matters because Parcells has said he doesn't care what players think; he's going to do it his way. I don't really have a problem with that except that it implies that he hasn't been doing things his way, which is a joke.

• • •

Q: I'm hoping, like Ellis' agent is, that his situation turns out to be OK, but my gut tells me he will end up just like Dexter Coakley. What do you think?

Tim Rubio, San Jose, Calif.

TAYLOR: I think you're exactly right. He doesn't fit the scheme, and he doesn't want to hear any poppycock – I like that word – from Bill Parcells that he can excel in a spot where he's aligned head up against players who out outweigh him by 50-60 pounds on a regular basis. In his current position, there's a chance his production will drop and the Cowboys will decide next spring that he's not worth the $500,000 roster bonus and $2.25 million salary that he's supposed to receive.

• • •

Q: Is Greg Ellis fast enough and mobile and smart enough to make the transition to linebacker. This is a good football player with a high motor, and it would be a shame to lose him at the end of this season.

Howard Weinberg, Weirton, W.Va.

TAYLOR: Nope. Ellis played some linebacker in college when North Carolina used the 3-4, but he's not agile enough to cover running backs and tight ends and some of the other things that linebackers do. Don't forget that the game looks a lot different when you're standing up than it does when you have a hand on the ground.

• • •

Q: Did Richie Anderson completely screw up by not taking the job offer from Maurice Carthon to coach running backs in Cleveland? Was it that he thought he could actually come back from neck fusion surgery to make the team and contribute after age 35? Is he not looking for work at this time?

Kara McGregor, Austin, Texas

TAYLOR: Based on what I know, the timing wasn't right when Carthon asked Richie to join the coaching staff. Anderson, who has made his home in Dallas, wasn't sure he wanted to move his kids again, and there was some talk that he might rejoin the team as an assistant coach. Carthon needed an answer in a certain time frame, and I don't think Anderson could make a decision at that time. If he wants to coach next year, I wouldn't think it would be difficult for him to find a job.

• • •

Q: I think it's safe to say that other than Roy Williams, the 2002 draft class was a bad one. What do you think?

Brek Burgweger, Fairfax, Va.

TAYLOR: It certainly looks like another blown draft. Roy Williams has been to consecutive Pro Bowls and is a proven star. The rest of the class is filled with talented disappointments like Andre Gurode, who has been relegated to backup status, and Antonio Bryant, who was traded last year because the Cowboys grew weary of dealing with his attitude. Derek Ross is another talented player who couldn't stop the off-the-field antics that caused him to drop to the third round and Pete Hunter balked at moving to safety, hastening his departure. Tyson Walter is just a guy, so there you have it. Yet another wasted draft class. Is there any wonder why Dallas has struggled so much this decade?

• • •

Q: Dallas is seeking a free safety replacement for Darren Woodson so that Roy Williams can again move closer to the line of scrimmage, where he wreaked havoc two years ago. However, with the much-anticipated move to the 3-4, doesn't this change the role of the strong safety and his role as pass rusher?

Mike Bruce, Leesburg, Va.

TAYLOR: Not really. Roy will do some blitzing, but it's not like he's gotten to the quarterback that much when the Cowboys have turned him loose. He's playing close to the line this year so he can be a disruptive force against the run. If he excels in that role – there's no reason to think he won't – then the Cowboys will be more than happy with his performance.

• • •

Q: I have always been a Quincy Carter fan. I thought he had the potential to be a good NFL quarterback. Any word on him?

B.H. Prange

TAYLOR: Quincy is working out and preparing himself so he'll be ready when opportunity knocks. There's no doubt he has the talent to play in the NFL for a decade – Rick Mirer played nine seasons, so I don't want to hear any arguments – but he has to prove to teams that he can handle the off-the-field pressures. I like Quincy and wish him a lot of luck, but I don't know if any team is going to give him a shot this season.

• • •

Q: Don't you think the Cowboys' defensive players fit the 4-3 better than the 3-4?

Dennis Trook, Amarillo, Texas

TAYLOR: Yup. I've said that several times. I think Parcells should've tried to integrate it some this year and went full-fledged next year. That's because it would've given him another season to subtract personnel like Greg Ellis, La'Roi Glover and Dat Nguyen and add adequate replacements who are geared to the 3-4. Parcells always said he would let the personnel dictate the scheme, but he was so frustrated by the defense's performance last year that he decided to pull the trigger on the 3-4 a year early.

• • •

Q: What is your pre-camp projected starting lineup for the offense and defense?

Kirk Mathews

TAYLOR: I'll go one better. He's my 2-deep projection at each spot, though I'm entitled to change my mind once we get to training camp and I get a look at some guys up close and see how they perform in the preseason. Here goes:

Offense:

QB: Drew Bledsoe, Drew Henson

RB: Julius Jones, Marion Barber III

FB: Darian Barnes, Lousaka Polite

LT: Flozell Adams, Jacob Rogers

LG: Larry Allen, Ben Noll

C: Al Johnson, Tyson Walter

RG: Marco Rivera, Stephen Peterman

RT: Kurt Vollers, Rob Petitti

SE: Keyshawn Johnson, Patrick Crayton

FL: Terry Glenn, Quincy Morgan

TE: Jason Witten, Dan Campbell

Defense:

LDE: Marcus Spears, Kenyon Coleman

NG: Jason Ferguson, La'Roi Glover

RDE: Greg Ellis, Chris Canty

OLB: Demarcus Ware, Kalen Thornton

ILB: Bradie James, Scott Shanle

ILB: Dat Nguyen, Keith O'Neil

OLB: Al Singleton, Kevin Burnett

LCB: Terence Newman, Aaron Glenn

RCB: Anthony Henry, Lance Frazier

SS: Roy Williams, Lynn Scott

FS: Izell Reese, Keith Davis

• • •

Q: What are your thoughts on Newman and what you think Glenn can teach him?

Joseph F. Greenberg, Houston

TAYLOR: I think Newman's going to benefit tremendously from having secondary coach Todd Bowles, who's supposed to be a terrific teacher. Bowles will put him in position to be a playmaker, and then Glenn's experience will help him with some of the tricks of the trade that will help him become an elite player. The Cowboys need him to be a star – not just a good player.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #493
alby
Guru

good to hear he is back healthy

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #494
chumdawg
Guru

That 53-yard field goal by Longwell just now, in the conditions, was greatness. Thank God ESPN is whetting my appetite. Who doesn't like a game at Lambeau Field, even if it is the preseason opener.

I can't even BEGIN to tell you how excited I am about Saturday night's game in Arizona. Roll on, football season. Roll on.

I've got the 'Boys for ten wins (secretly, I am holding out hope for eleven). You?

Things to watch for Saturday night:

How does Keith Davis perform as the starting free safety?

Will Terrence Newman bring a punt back?

Will either Tyson Thompson or Woody Danzler or Zuriel Smith do something on kick returns?

Who starts at right tackle? I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect that by the time it's said and done, Pettiti will fill this role.

Who stands out at receiver? Today Parcells said that even the third receiver spot is not set in stone. Could Crayton beat out Morgan for this job? Can Copper make enough plays on special teams to nail down a spot? Don't worry about Johnson or Glenn. Both are poised for excellent seasons, if they don't get injured.

What does Henson show in game conditions? Romo? Word is that Parcells has some interest in Testaverde for the backup job. Makes a lot of sense to me. But even though Romo appears to have some of that intangible moxie, don't look for Henson to be making an exit anytime soon. Parcells is notoriously tough on young QB's who he thinks have talent. Witness the young Phil Simms in New York, who rode the pine for quite a while before he found the field. But don't dismiss Romo, either. Parcells once believed in Ray Lucas when no one else would have, and it served him well. The third quarterback spot will be one of the most interesting battles of the preseason. I'll be more than surprised if Testaverde isn't wearing a helmet with a star on it next year.

Will Justin Beriault be the next Bill Bates? He probably needs to make some plays in preseason, much like Lynn Scott did a couple years ago, particularly in the Oakland game. He tackled a ton in college, but will that translate to the NFL?

This should be an entertaining preseason, with at least two starting spots up for grabs and several roster spots hinging on special teams play. As I said, I can't wait for Saturday.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:28 PM   #495
chumdawg
Guru

That 53-yard field goal by Longwell just now, in the conditions, was greatness. Thank God ESPN is whetting my appetite. Who doesn't like a game at Lambeau Field, even if it is the preseason opener.

I can't even BEGIN to tell you how excited I am about Saturday night's game in Arizona. Roll on, football season. Roll on.

I've got the 'Boys for ten wins (secretly, I am holding out hope for eleven). You?

Things to watch for Saturday night:

How does Keith Davis perform as the starting free safety?

Will either Tyson Thompson or Woody Danzler or Zuriel Smith do something on kick returns?

Who starts at right tackle? I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect that by the time it's said and done, Pettiti will fill this role.

Who stands out at receiver? Today Parcells said that even the third receiver spot is not set in stone. Could Crayton beat out Morgan for this job? Can Copper make enough plays on special teams to nail down a spot? Don't worry about Johnson or Glenn. Both are poised for excellent seasons, if they don't get injured.

What does Henson show in game conditions? Romo? Word is that Parcells has some interest in Testaverde for the backup job. Makes a lot of sense to me. But even though Romo appears to have some of that intangible moxie, don't look for Henson to be making an exit anytime soon. Parcells is notoriously tough on young QB's who he thinks have talent. Witness the young Phil Simms in New York, who rode the pine for quite a while before he found the field. But don't dismiss Romo, either. Parcells once believed in Ray Lucas when no one else would have, and it served him well. The third quarterback spot will be one of the most interesting battles of the preseason. I'll be more than surprised if Testaverde isn't wearing a helmet with a star on it next year.

Will Justin Beriault be the next Bill Bates? He probably needs to make some plays in preseason, much like Lynn Scott did a couple years ago, particularly in the Oakland game. He tackled a ton in college, but will that translate to the NFL?

This should be an entertaining preseason, with at least two starting spots up for grabs and several roster spots hinging on special teams play. As I said, I can't wait for Saturday.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #496
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I’m Tivo’n it and will have probably watched each play at least 5 times by the time we play Seattle.

Quote:
I doubt he’ll return one Saturday. I think Bill is going to use him like Deon…he’ll only return punts when the opponent is kicking from inside their 20 so he’ll have a chance for a big return.

Quote:
I’m anxious to see TT…I keep hearing about this blazing speed but I don’t think I heard Bill say he’ll be in the rotation.

Quote:
I don’t think It’ll happen this year. It sounds like Rogers has it locked down if he can stay healthy.

I hope they didn’t screw Henson up by changing his throwing motion. Wonder if he’ll revert to his sidearm style when the pressure is on.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #497
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
I’m Tivo’n it and will have probably watched each play at least 5 times by the time we play Seattle.

Quote:
I doubt he’ll return one Saturday. I think Bill is going to use him like Deon…he’ll only return punts when the opponent is kicking from inside their 20 so he’ll have a chance for a big return.

Quote:
I’m anxious to see TT…I keep hearing about this blazing speed but I don’t think I heard Bill say he’ll be in the rotation.

Quote:
I don’t think It’ll happen this year. It sounds like Rogers has it locked down if he can stay healthy.

I hope they didn’t screw Henson up by changing his throwing motion. Wonder if he’ll revert to his sidearm style when the pressure is on.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #498
alby
Guru

I love the opening weeks of the NFL season, theres so much anticipation built up over the spring/summer. But, each year I just stop caring for those 12 weeks or so after the start and right before the playoffs begin..

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #499
alby
Guru

I love the opening weeks of the NFL season, theres so much anticipation built up over the spring/summer. But, each year I just stop caring for those 12 weeks or so after the start and right before the playoffs begin..

Contact Me
Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 PM   #500
chumdawg
Guru

D2K, I'm with you on the Tivo thing, man. I suspect that you and I are cut from the same cloth.

You're probably right about Newman. Bill doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is comfortable with two different return guys, but of course we know for a fact that he wasn't willing to risk Newman last year. This will probably depend in large part upon what the other guys do in camp and preseason. If someone could win the job, I expect that Parcells would be happy being comfortable with Newman on the sidelines. But Bill is looking for some punch. I'm certain he'd like to have a guy with a ton of ability in that role, and if Newman is the guy, then he's the one if there is enough depth in the secondary. But if someone like the fourth or fifth receiver (or fourth safety?) steps up in that role, then so be it. At any rate, I do expect him to return one Saturday. Check back here Sunday and we'll see who's right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm not positive about the return rotation, either. But I think that if Thompson is going to make the team, he better do it there. I guess he could do it on kick coverage too, but this seems more natural. Like you, I am anxious to get a look at this blinding speed.

On a side note, I'm almost sad that Bickerstaff has been reduced to an ultimate longshot. I have always liked him.

I have absolutely zero faith in Rogers. In fact, I worry about the team if he is starting. I believe I would rather Noll or Vollers be out there. Until I see something, that is. And of course, that's what preseason is all about.

I dont' worry in the least about Henson. If he figures it out, great. If not, see ya.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 PM   #501
chumdawg
Guru

D2K, I'm with you on the Tivo thing, man. I suspect that you and I are cut from the same cloth.

You're probably right about Newman. Bill doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is comfortable with two different return guys, but of course we know for a fact that he wasn't willing to risk Newman last year. This will probably depend in large part upon what the other guys do in camp and preseason. If someone could win the job, I expect that Parcells would be happy being comfortable with Newman on the sidelines. But Bill is looking for some punch. I'm certain he'd like to have a guy with a ton of ability in that role, and if Newman is the guy, then he's the one if there is enough depth in the secondary. But if someone like the fourth or fifth receiver (or fourth safety?) steps up in that role, then so be it. At any rate, I do expect him to return one Saturday. Check back here Sunday and we'll see who's right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm not positive about the return rotation, either. But I think that if Thompson is going to make the team, he better do it there. I guess he could do it on kick coverage too, but this seems more natural. Like you, I am anxious to get a look at this blinding speed.

On a side note, I'm almost sad that Bickerstaff has been reduced to an ultimate longshot. I have always liked him.

I have absolutely zero faith in Rogers. In fact, I worry about the team if he is starting. I believe I would rather Noll or Vollers be out there. Until I see something, that is. And of course, that's what preseason is all about.

I dont' worry in the least about Henson. If he figures it out, great. If not, see ya.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #502
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I declared Rogers a bust after last season but I've been hearing good things about him from the coach and the media. I also hear that Petiti is struggling, as you would expect a rookie to do. He's been backing up Flozell on the left side so he's going up against that speed deamon from Troy.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #503
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I declared Rogers a bust after last season but I've been hearing good things about him from the coach and the media. I also hear that Petiti is struggling, as you would expect a rookie to do. He's been backing up Flozell on the left side so he's going up against that speed deamon from Troy.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:11 AM   #504
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Chum, your more interested about what Henson and Romo are going to look like? Not Bledsoe? He is the starting QB.
I'm interested in the defense, 4-3 vs 3-4 schemes and who is out there in those different formations.
I'm not worried about the O-line at all because a good RB makes any line look good. With Allen and Flozell already being as good as they are, JJ should have some huge holes to run through this season. They are going to be regarded by most as one of the best O-lines in the NFL by midseason.
Crayton
Barber
Ware
Beriault
Killer Keith
Burnett
Canty
Bradie James
Newman
Of course Julius Jones.
And I cant wait to see Roy at his natural strong safety position, laying out fools.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:11 AM   #505
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Chum, your more interested about what Henson and Romo are going to look like? Not Bledsoe? He is the starting QB.
I'm interested in the defense, 4-3 vs 3-4 schemes and who is out there in those different formations.
I'm not worried about the O-line at all because a good RB makes any line look good. With Allen and Flozell already being as good as they are, JJ should have some huge holes to run through this season. They are going to be regarded by most as one of the best O-lines in the NFL by midseason.
Crayton
Barber
Ware
Beriault
Killer Keith
Burnett
Canty
Bradie James
Newman
Of course Julius Jones.
And I cant wait to see Roy at his natural strong safety position, laying out fools.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 04:26 AM   #506
alby
Guru

Our cb's are so good. Anthony Henry, Aaron Glenn, Terrance Newman.. Newman is the 3rd best rated cb on our team in Madden, crazy =]

Contact Me
Old 08-12-2005, 04:26 AM   #507
alby
Guru

Our cb's are so good. Anthony Henry, Aaron Glenn, Terrance Newman.. Newman is the 3rd best rated cb on our team in Madden, crazy =]

Contact Me
Old 08-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #508
chumdawg
Guru

mavs413, I'm not worried about Bledsoe. I'm rather confident that he'll do just fine. If the guy has players around him, he can be a very effective player. The big problem in Buffalo was that after he had a terrific first year with them, they began to focus strictly on defense with their personnel acquisitions. Drew was hung out to dry, in a way. This will be a much different situation.

But yes, you're right. It will be fun to watch the front seven. I'm hoping they become monsters.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:25 PM   #509
chumdawg
Guru

Dirno, looks like you were right about Newman not taking any punts back this week. I forget who Bill said was going there (three different guys, I think), but he wasn't one of them.

QB rotation goes Bledsoe, Romo, Henson. Next week the bottom two switch.

Pettiti starts at right tackle (Bill said he's been doing well lately, for what that's worth), and Gurode starts at center (Bill needs to see how he can play there).

Jules should get seven or eight runs, maybe as many as ten.

Can't wait!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:37 PM   #510
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Gurode starts at center (Bill needs to see how he can play there).
This really surprises me. Bill's going to play it like it's no big deal but it is. he's not sitting Allen to see what Peterman has. I hope it's a case of Gurode rising to the occasion and not Al Johnson regressing.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:10 AM   #511
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

DMN reporting Rogers is gone for the season.

Shit.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:14 AM   #512
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Jerry: OT Rogers out for season

12:04 AM CDT on Friday, August 19, 2005

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR /The Dallas Morning News

OXNARD, Calif. – Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said late Thursday that right tackle Jacob Rogers will miss the entire 2005 season with a knee injury.

"It's a shame that he's gone," Jones said. "It's a disappointment."

Rogers is scheduled to have surgery a week from today. Earlier in the day, coach Bill Parcells had said he wasn't sure about Rogers' future. Rogers, the front-runner to earn the job after the first week of camp, injured his knee Saturday night in a 13-11 loss to Arizona after just two plays.

An MRI on Sunday revealed no structural damage. On Monday, Parcells said the injury "isn't too serious." Now, Rogers needs surgery.

That leaves rookie Rob Petitti and three-year veteran Torrin Tucker as the leading candidates for the starting right tackle job, unless the Cowboys want to add a free agent such as 11-year veteran Scott Gragg.

The Cowboys spoke to Gragg's agent before the season and indicated they might have an interest in him at some point. Parcells thinks Kurt Vollers is more valuable as a backup than a starter because he can play both tackle positions.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:05 AM   #513
alby
Guru

damnit

Contact Me
Old 08-19-2005, 07:46 AM   #514
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

not that bad of news. Now they will be forced to make a decision on who starts. I have a feeling Rogers was just going to string them along.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #515
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

allen to right tackle and find a new guard? more water-cooler talk..
Old 08-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #516
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If Torrin Tucker makes the team I will eat a turd. Man I hate that no talent scrub. Anyone know anything about Gragg?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:27 PM   #517
chumdawg
Guru

I don't know anything about Gragg (except that he's available), but if Tucker makes the team, it will be because he is the least of all the possible evils.

If Larry Allen was on the trading block for a #3 last year, I don't like Tucker's chances.

I really do think, though, that if they can stabilize the line they've got a chance to have a tremendous offense. I love the pieces that are in place. Man, I'm getting excited about this team.

I'm also excited about Tyson Thompson. He needs to show a little something on kick returns Monday night, but at this point I'd say that Thomas is in more danger of getting cut than Thompson is.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:05 AM   #518
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I don't know anything about Gragg (except that he's available), but if Tucker makes the team, it will be because he is the least of all the possible evils.

If Larry Allen was on the trading block for a #3 last year, I don't like Tucker's chances.

I really do think, though, that if they can stabilize the line they've got a chance to have a tremendous offense. I love the pieces that are in place. Man, I'm getting excited about this team.

I'm also excited about Tyson Thompson. He needs to show a little something on kick returns Monday night, but at this point I'd say that Thomas is in more danger of getting cut than Thompson is.
thats a big if there buddy, but i'm right with you on how good the other pieces of the puzzle are with this year's Cowboys..

edit:/ random question, would you trade for T.O.? If so, what would you give up?

Contact Me
Old 08-20-2005, 10:40 AM   #519
chumdawg
Guru

I wouldn't give them Patrick Crayton for TO. So I guess, no.

You?
Old 08-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #520
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

sure I'd trade any one of our 3rd stringers for him. then we could trade him to chicago for urlacher