Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Which is the best performance this year?
Tim Thomas vs Cleveland 1 2.70%
Caron Butler vs SAS 0 0%
Roddy Beaubois vs Chicago 1 2.70%
Dirk Nowitzki vs SAS 3 8.11%
Jason Terry vs Houston in November 0 0%
Dallas Mavericks vs NJN in 2nd Quarter 0 0%
Dirk Nowitzki vs Denver 2 5.41%
Roddy Beaubois vs GS 2 5.41%
Jason Kidd vs Atlanta 5 13.51%
Dirk Nowitzki vs Utah. 23 62.16%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dallas Mavericks 09-10 Top Ten Performances

DALLAS MAVERICKS TOP TEN PERFORMANCES

Previous Top 10 Lists: 09-10 Top Ten Games | 08-09 Top Ten Plays

So here we are again. To clarify what a "performance" is, I'm mainly talking about the best, most efficient, most clutch, most outstanding overall performances by a single player in a game. For a couple of these, I slightly edited the rules, but at least I'm not SportsCenter, calling a 56 game hitting streak or a no-hitter spanning 3 hours a "top ten play".

In this addition, instead of actually ranking each play 1-10, I'll add a poll with each option. This will be interesting to me...I'm curious to see if the general consensus lines up with my own rankings of these performances. Anyway, hope you guys like this one.

Tim Thomas plays Dirk for a day
Statline
22 points, 7/14 FG, 2/6 3PT, 6/7 FT, 7 rebs, 2 assists, in 37 minutes
Video Proof

Surprisingly, the 22 points were not a season high for Thomas here. However, scoring 23 in a blowout is so totally different than scoring 22 against the best team in the league record-wise, starting in place of the Mav's best player.

In the Maverick's case, we aren't supposed to win anything without Dirk. As the amazing player he is, he's impossible to replace. There is not a single player in the league that can do what he does, hitting the same number of turnaround J's, spinning drives, or face up jumpers like Dirk does. He's amazing. He goes out due to Elbow-gate, and our next game against the Cavs...we aren't favored to win.

But in Dirk's typical PF position, Thomas got the start, and though his line wasn't the sexiest, though he didn't have any poster dunks (though he tried, if I recall correctly), though he didn't bring Dirk's usual repertoire of fade aways, spins, or pull up jumpers, he scored points and made up for Dirk's absence. Great performance, rising to the occasion and really helping us win a game. I wonder if he would have made any difference down the stretch as a reliable three point shooting big with the occasional ability to score in other ways, too. He for sure made a different in this game.

Caron Butler finally decides to show up for the playoffs...but at least he shows up big
Statline
35 points, 12/24 FG, 3/8 3PT, 8/9 FT, 11 rebs, 1 assist, 3 steals, 1 block, in 36 minutes

Clearly, Caron Butler was one of the players who failed to show up in the playoffs like they should, shooting just 37% and scoring just 12 PPG in the 3 game losing streak following a Game 1 win, including the infamous Game 3 benching.

But unlike Jason Terry, Butler has the talent and the ability to come up big, and he did so in this game, scoring 35 points. It was efficient, at 50%, and it was needed, because Dirk failed to produce his usual playoff brilliance, scoring only 15. In the end, it was enough.

Sadly, it was too late to change the course of the series, partly because of Butler's previous failures to produce. But if remains a Maverick, I wouldn't be surprised to see these types of games to occur more regularly.

Rodrigue Beaubois scores a point or two
Statline
24 points, 10/17 FG, 1/6 3PT, 3/3 FT, 5 boards, 5 assists, a steal, a block, no TO’s, in 34 minutes
Video Proof

The fact that this is his second highest game in points is not the reason this is on here. Roddy is amazing and there were several games which I considered choosing from: Game 6 vs the Spurs, the game against Minnesota where he kept hitting threes to bring us back within striking range, and his big 2nd quarter against Sacramento.

But in the end, I think this is one of the best representations of what Roddy can be. He's not always going to hit 9 threes on 81% shooting like GS (wait for that one), but he will be able to attack the other point guard off the dribble. And then do it again. And again. And not just taking it to the rim, not every time, but sometimes pulling up, finding creative ways to score, being unpredictable. That why I love Beaubois so much - he is anything but a one trick pony.

Great game for Roddy. Fantastic performance, scoring most of those 3rd quarter points on Kirk Hinrich, who is pretty well considered as a defender around the league, despite his natural disadvantage of being white.

Dirk Nowitzki in Game 1...some will say he couldn't miss, I think he just decided not to

Statline
36 points, 12/14 shooting, no 3‘s, 12/12 FT, 7 boards, an assist, a block, and a turnover in 40 minutes
Video Proof

This isn't the first time Dirk's had crazy shooting games (I remember a 16 for 20 game in 08-09), but this is probably the biggest stage he's done it on. Only two misses from the field, and perfect at the line. This is so much like Dirk. And this is so much like the Mavs. The only time they win in the playoffs is when Dirk plays above even his usual awesomeness.

Amazing performance. Even more amazing, but yet so taken for granted because it happens night in and night out, is that he only commits a single turnover in 40 minutes. That's incredible. That might be the most amazing thing about Dirk throughout his long career, his ability to protect the ball and prevent turnovers. Its funny to see the stats and realize that superstars like LeBron are turning it over a 4x the rate Dirk does.

Jason Terry's Month of November against Houston
Statline
In two games, 51 points, 17/19 FG, 5/5 3PT, 12/12 FT, 2 boards, 13 assists, 1 steal, 3 TO’s in 56 minutes

There's not really much I can say about this one. That's a pretty incredible stat line, even if it is two games. Talk about getting hot.

Too bad he never could do this in April (then again, that's probably because the Rockets never play in April! Rimshot!).

The Maverick's 2nd Quarter vs. the Nets
Statline
In one quarter, 49 points, 17/19 FG, 5/5 3PT, 10/10 FT, 10 rebs, 12 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 1 turnover
Video Proof

This was just an incredible quarter. I get that it was the Nets, and I get that provides an inherent advantage because of their pitiful defense, but look at those stats and tell me that's normal. Its not. And the two misses? An attempted Dampier alley oop, failing because Dampier lost his footing, and a driving and fading Dirk jumper along the baseline, contested but not too hard of a shot for Dirk.

Dampier was huge in this quarter, recording both blocks while hitting two reverse layups...yes, that's right, reverse layups. Never mind that you'd like your center dunking, those were sweet layups.

Dirk's triple double against Denver
Statline
34 points, 7/17 FG, 4/5 3PT, 16/17 FT, 10 boards, 10 assists, 1 block, 2 turnovers in 37 minutes
Video Proof | More

If you look more closely at those stats, you'll see Dirk was 3/12 from 2PT land. And if you watched that game, you'll realize that Dirk's shot was just off...this game had all the makings of a bad night for him.

But then you look at the stat line again, you see the points scored, you see the free throws made and the 4 treys he drained, you realize that Dirk also realized it was the makings of a bad night, and did something about it. He got to the line by taking some fouls. Being unable to get open 2's, he shifted outside to get open 3's. And despite scoring 34, he made an effort to let his teammates score some for him too. And somehow, that all added up to a triple double.

So props to Dirk, because he found what would work when his usual wasn't. But that's what superstars do, right? When other teams crowd the lane, they find open room and drain jumpers. When people double team, they find the open 3 point shooter. When people crowd, they put it on the floor and get to the rim. That's what Dirk did, at least. Maybe we're just spoiled because he's special.

Rodrigue hit a three pointer last night...and maybe a few more
Statline
40 points, 15/22 FG, 9/11 3PT, 1/1 FT, 8 rebs, 3 assists, 3 blocks, just 1 turnover in 30 minutes
Video Proof

What can you say? Beaubois is going to be diety-esque next year. The sweet shooting touch, the raw athleticism, and the nifty finishes...he's quite a package. Of course there are things he can work on, but he's very, very good. And even though he won't shooting 81% in all his games like he did in this one (as I mentioned above), he's going to hit some threes, he's going to get some fast break points, and he's just going to flat out put points on the board.

That Kidd does it again

Statline
19 points, 7/18 FG, 4/10 3PT, 1-2 FT, 16 boards, 17 dimes, 2 steals, 3 TO’s, in 46 minutes
Video Proof | More | More

Triple doubles are impressive. 19/16/17 triple doubles are unheard of.

The clutch threes down the stretch. The crisp passes to Dirk for J's that swish in. The backside steals and fast break around the back passes. And of course, the typical run-into-the-opposing-coach-when-he's-on-the-floor-to-draw-a-technical-with-a-minute-to-go-in-the-4th.

Yeah, Kidd's a fantastic player when running on full.

Dirk decides he doesn't want to lose, and so he goes out, messes around, and beats Utah by himself
4th Quarter Statline
29 points, 7/8 FG, 1-2 3PT, 14/14 FT, 5 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block, no TO’s in 11 ½ minutes
Video Proof

29 points in the quarter...it shattered the Maverick's record of 24, it was 2 away from the NBA record in the 4th, and it was 6 away from the NBA record in any quarter. It was accomplished in the 4th quarter down 10 at one point against a playoff team, and it was done so despite a lackluster previous 3 quarters.

Dirk, again, realizes his normal stuff isn't working, so he changes his game and drives. And he drives. Gets a ton of free throws, makes them all, and puts in a few and-1 layups as well, and using his jumper as a change-up rather than his primary weapon. And when it really matters, he lets Kidd take and make the dagger shot, because despite his 29 points, Kidd's got the open look.

This is one of those Dirk games we all should remember, though it seems like some of us may have forgotten it already. Don't. Because Dirk is incredible and this is one of the reasons why.

-=-=-=-=-=-

There we go. Vote on your #1, feel free to comment on other performances which were incredible. A couple which I seem to remember happening, but can't find any video proof, are JJ Barea going crazy and some team being unable to stop his drives, and that one game where Dampier scores like 10 straight on legitament post moves. If someone could find video on those, I'd love to see it.

Top 10 plays will be next, hopefully in a week or so. I'd love for you guys to PM me plays you think should be included, because I'll be honest...there aren't just a whole lot that jump out in my memory as plays I have to include. I only have like 5-6 which I know have to be included as of right now.

Last edited by tcat075; 06-07-2010 at 12:14 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

To me it's a split between Dirk's rampage on Utah in the 4th quarter and Jason Kidd bending the Hawks over.

I voted for Dirk since I'm allowed only one vote.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy

Last edited by Rick41; 06-07-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I also cast my for Dirk single-handedly destroying Utah...

100% pure win.

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tcat075 again.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-07-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, Dirk's my choice too.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

If the game when the Mavs played the Suns that started the 13 game win streak I would vote for that, because that was the most exciting Mavericks game I've ever seen live that wasn't in the nosebleeds (Was in lower bowl area, idk good seats though). Gotta shell out the cash if you want the good stuff I guess
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareMilk View Post
If the game when the Mavs played the Suns that started the 13 game win streak I would vote for that, because that was the most exciting Mavericks game I've ever seen live that wasn't in the nosebleeds (Was in lower bowl area, idk good seats though). Gotta shell out the cash if you want the good stuff I guess
I remember that game. The list I'd go under is the Top Ten Games, but yeah. Actually, I considered putting that game on that list. It was a nice win. Did it start the streak? I thought it was like 4 or 5 in. But don't quote me on that, I'm not entirely sure.

Tags
top ten