Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-18-2004, 09:45 AM   #41
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dallas Cowboys vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Gameday Thread!!!

Why? Because more often than not (or unless your name is Pittsburgh) you are going to struggle in a year with a first year starting QB. Let's struggle this year, it's obvious we already are.

Get Henson seasoned now. Not next year.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:59 AM   #42
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand your thinking U2, but throwing a kid to the sharks can also be taking a step backwards... Thats why I said get him prepared this year but don't play him until we are definitely out of the playoff race or by week 12, which ever comes first... Vinny is a good quarterback, but it is quite clear that he will not be leading this team following this year... So I say play the guy who is the future of this team, but only when he is up to speed and can succeed, (succeeding does not just translate to wins, but also to how he plays based on his understanding of the playbook and up-coming defensive schemes)... To those of you suggesting otherwise, the future is NOT Romo regardless how Parcells raves about him... He may be the backup currently, but that is more because of Henson NOT BEING ready than Romo BEING ready!!!

Do you remember him raving about Stewart during training camp and then releasing him weeks later??? Bill says a lot of stuff!!!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:04 AM   #43
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree to not throwing Henson in at Lambeau.... but after we lose next week and our record is 2-5... I don't think you can come up with a single sound reason not to play Henson. I mean, unless you are still holding onto playoff aspirations after that.... if that is the case then you should seek professional help.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 10:24 AM   #44
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

We do have one of the toughest closing schedules in all of football!!! With that said, a win next week would put us at 3-3, (we are 2-3 right now, NOT 2-4)... You would need to seek professional help if you believe that a 3-3 team is out of the playoffs...

Old 10-18-2004, 10:25 AM   #45
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Keep in mind that GB is 0-3 at Lambeau this year!!! Winning there is not as impossible as it used to be!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:46 AM   #46
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

We will not win next week at Lambeau. You heard it here first.

Sorry about the miscalculation on our schedule.

Embrace the future. Not the past.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:02 AM   #47
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Yeah, GB and that 2-4 record looks much better than Dallas' 2-3 record... Defense wins football games and we have the better defense...

I guess we will just have to wait and see!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:11 PM   #48
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dallas Cowboys vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Gameday Thread!!!

I'm just as anxious as the next man to see what Hennings can do, but I wouldn't play him this year under any circumstance. I want him to get two offseason programs, two camps and a year of watching from the sideline before throwing him to the wolves. I thought we learned our lesson with Chutch. You throw a kid in there that is not prepared and you're doing him a disservice.

What if Henson goes out there and sucks…do we throw him out and draft another QB?

As for Romo, if Henson is better he sould beat him out on the field and not be handed the position.

Old 10-18-2004, 01:25 PM   #49
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
I would agree to not throwing Henson in at Lambeau.... but after we lose next week and our record is 2-5... I don't think you can come up with a single sound reason not to play Henson. I mean, unless you are still holding onto playoff aspirations after that.... if that is the case then you should seek professional help.

There really is no good reason to keep playing Vinny. Regardless of when he starts, Henson is going to not be good for awhile. Sooner or later Big Bill is going to have to face the fact that his "coaching ability" is not going to be enough to propel this group into playoff contention.

If they are worried about "throwing him to the wolves", then perhaps it should be questioned why they acquired him in the first place. Was Chutch a bad QB because he was started too early, or was it because he's not very good? Besides, the refs are doing a pretty good job of overprotecting QB's this year.

How many QB were sucking more than David Carr his first year? How many QB's were getting sacked more than David Carr his first year? Talk about someone being "thrown to the wolves". Sometimes you just have to put on a pair of pants, go out there and take it. Henson is not going to "learn" how to get hit by sitting on the sideline.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:12 PM   #50
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I had a strong feeling, but I didn't want to come out and say it here. I had the same strong feeling, so I am going to say it:

If Quincy Carter were our starting quarterback, I think we'd be 4-1.

There. I feel better now.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:19 PM   #51
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I won't go that far, though I am tempted. But I feel confident that we wouldn't be doing any worse than we already are.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:34 PM   #52
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

..............waiting anxiously for a Doc moment..............

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 04:18 PM   #53
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Last week I had a strong feeling, but I didn't want to come out and say it here. I had the same strong feeling, so I am going to say it:

There. I feel better now.
4-1...maybe.
Well, he definitely would have been UP for every game.

Old 10-18-2004, 04:27 PM   #54
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
We will not win next week at Lambeau. You heard it here first.
I don't think so U2.

This ain't the same ole Packers - and the Lambeau mystique is gone. The Bears beat em @ Lambeau - the Bears.

Hit Brett in the mouth a couple times and he'll start making stupid throws. Not to mention their defense sucks (see Titans loss @ home). If we lose it will be the result of Ahman Green carrying the ball 40 times.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #55
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

If we can even get to Favre.... Have you seen how slow our guys are? They had multiple chances at Brunell, Warner, and most recently Roethlisberger. They can't even finnish the play. On the other side... the Steelers had nicely timed blitzes and everytime they got close to Vinnie down he went, causing a fumble that set the game tone at the very end... BTW Brett suffered a concussion on one of his throws a few games back and threw for a touchdown on the very next play.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:40 PM   #56
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Ya, i believe if we loose against greenbay, henson should get the nod the rest of the year. This will get him seasoned and we will procure a higher draft pick to pair with Buffalos.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:50 PM   #57
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I like Vinny. He throws a very nice ball. But I'm worried about these costly sacks. And hey, that three-interception performance against Cleveland wasn't any worse that Carter's bad games last year.

I thought it was funny, too, the way we came out against the Giants two weeks ago. It was eerily similar to last year. First play from scrimmage, a quick out to the right side. Last year the guy picked it and ran it in. This year the guy couldn't hold on to the ball. But it was almost the same play.

I guess I'm just frustrated that our passing game was so crisp the first couple weeks and has gone downhill since. I'm ready for Vinny to start slinging it around again! And it would be nice if he could avoid a sack every now and again.

But, it's a long way from the-sky-is-falling time. We're only one game back of the wildcard pace.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:01 PM   #58
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

At tops Vinny can get us to an 9-7 season. We more than likely miss the playoffs. With a younger qb we go probably 5-11 however we get a lottery pick to go with our Bills lotter pick. Why not try one of our younger qbs in there? Maybe not for the whole game but to see atleast what they are capable of right now. I'm usually the ones saying don't throw a inexperienced qb out there to get killed but after seeing Ben Rothlisberger yesterday or for the season for that matter i'd like to see how our qbs compare.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 05:10 PM   #59
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

agreed ffm
Old 10-20-2004, 07:41 PM   #60
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:28 PM   #61
chumdawg
Guru

It just seems to be that pressure on our quarterback has been a major reason we lost the last two games. Carter would have given us something to counter that with. Both games, in my opinion, we had well in hand until the game changed on the basis of one big play. I think that if we had been able to counter the pressure they were putting on our QB, we would have had dominant control of both games.

Of course, this assumes that Carter could have been good enough to beat Cleveland and Washington. That wouldn't have taken much.

Not that we would necessarily be better off for the whole season, but I really do think that we might be 4-1 at this point with Carter still at the helm.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:31 PM   #62
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Laughable. If Q-caine was still the QB, he'd be doing about 4 lines a day and would continue to make shitty decisions. Maybe four arrests and a felony drug charge. If that is what you meant by 4-1 then maybe.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #63
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Maybe four arrests and a felony drug charge. If that is what you meant by 4-1 then maybe.
Good stuff!
Old 10-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #64
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It just seems to be that pressure on our quarterback has been a major reason we lost the last two games. Carter would have given us something to counter that with. Both games, in my opinion, we had well in hand until the game changed on the basis of one big play. I think that if we had been able to counter the pressure they were putting on our QB, we would have had dominant control of both games.

Of course, this assumes that Carter could have been good enough to beat Cleveland and Washington. That wouldn't have taken much.

Not that we would necessarily be better off for the whole season, but I really do think that we might be 4-1 at this point with Carter still at the helm.
I cannot believe that Carter would have been given the opportunity to make many throws in either game. Parcells had absolutely no faith in Carter...for good reason. In the Giants game, Parcells still would have gone in with an extremely conservative game plan...in last game, I can't see Carter doing much better than Vinny. Perhaps he avoids a sack, but he's also likely to throw a mindless interception. I really don't see how you can make the claim that you're making...seems rather baseless.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #65
chumdawg
Guru

The game plan in the Giants game this year, with a presumably trustworthy QB aboard, was VERY conservative. Not at all unlike many of the game plans last year. The sack Vinny took when we were in good field range was costly. Those three points would have influenced a lot of things that happened afterwards. If everything else had been equal, I believe that adding mobility to the QB position could very well have been the difference. You understand what I am saying, right? If all else were equal. I don't think Vinny did anything positive in the Giants game that Carter couldn't also have done.

And for that matter, I don't think Vinny was especially remarkable last week, either. You remember Carter's bad games last year, and rightfully so. But I think you forget his good ones. He had a couple big passing games. He had more no-interception games than not, if I remember correctly. He threw a lot of deep balls, for a guy who was on such a short leash.

And he ran for a LOT of first downs. He avoided a lot of sacks. He simply has a different skill set than Vinny does. On the whole it's probably a lesser set, but the differences may have been what we needed in the last two games. See what I'm getting at?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:13 PM   #66
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I actually had hope in Quincy taking the next step this year, (to the humor of Doc)... I thought he made great strides last year and I thought he had a very good chance to improve on that... I think if the whole cocaine/INSERT DRUG thing didnt happen, he would have again led us to the playoffs or very close... With that said, I would rather get Henson ready and put him in because he was obviously our future!!! If he turns out to be a bust, well, we will continue to play with mediocrity; however, if he turns out to be special like many think, who knows how good we can become...

The bottom line is that Quincy was not in the Cowboys' future plans with or without the drug issues... Better that we cut ties early rather than let Q get another good year under him and make it another controversy... Quincy could do several things well, and others not so well... Too bad this happened or maybe we could have at least have gotten a pick for him!!!