Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-23-2001, 11:34 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I say we should try to bring Rik Smits to Dallas for the playoffs! I just e-mailed Mr. Cuban about this. Call me crazy, but I really think this would be a great idea. Think of the kind of flexibility that pairing up Smits and Bradley would give us. Smits is an adequate post defender, but he causes matchup nightmares offensively. I don't know how anyone would be able to guard a lineup featuring Nash/Fin/Dirk/Howard/Smits. This move could really help us advance beyond the first round this year. He considered coming back to the Pacers because his perennially injured feet have been feeling better this year, and he has been working out with the Dutch national team. Earlier this year, I also read that his agent had talked to the Lakers about a possible return in order to have a chance at winning a title... If we could actually get him to come, I think that he would fit in perfectly with the Mavs as the seventh or eighth guy in the rotation. Nelson would have a field day incorporating him into the offense. He would only need to play 10-15 minutes a game, but those minutes could really go far in terms of their impact in the playoffs...

Old 03-23-2001, 11:35 AM   #2
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

he wouldn't be eligible for the playoffs. He wouldn't be on the roster in time.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 11:37 AM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't there different roster eligibility requirements for retired players? I remember when Kevin Johnson came back to the Suns a week or two before the playoffs, and he had been gone for over a year... I'm going to have to go to RealGM and try to look this up...
Old 03-23-2001, 12:11 PM   #4
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

when KJ came back he finished out the the season but wasnt eligible for the playoffs.....I think the day ROD STRICKLAND sign with the Blazers was the last day to be on a NBA roster to be eligible for the playoffs.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:14 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Oh well... the beautiful dream can't come true this year...

Old 03-23-2001, 02:48 PM   #6
Bluwizard

Bluwizard is on a distinguished road

As long as the player wasn't on a another team's roster on or after March 1st they are elligble for the playoffs. Ric Smits, Scott Burrell, Dennis Scott, Rony Seikely and anyone else like them are all elligble for the playoffs because they weren't under contract. KJ did play in the playoffs last year as did Brian Williams with the Bulls a few years back, he signed with about 10-15 games left after holding out all year. Bring back Bill Wennington [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] j/k.
Bluwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 02:53 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

So that means Rod Strickland won't be eligible for the playoffs right? I could've sworn he was signed a day or two after the deadline. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 02:54 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Upon first glance, that first picture of Smits reminded me of Joe Montana!
Old 03-23-2001, 03:05 PM   #9
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

I have already e-mailed Mr. Cuban about this beautiful dream, and I would encourage any other Mavs faithful to do so... You can also e-mail Mr. Smits (as I have) at the following address: Ultsportsshop@aol.com (his official site says that's how he can be reached)... He was actually playing with the Dutch national team this December...

Old 03-23-2001, 03:06 PM   #10
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Whoops... That picture was a little bigger than I expected... Sorry, DJ...
Old 03-23-2001, 03:08 PM   #11
djb
Administrator

You could just post a link to the pic if it's too big to display on the board.
Old 03-23-2001, 03:39 PM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

no, strickland can play, because he wasn't on a team when the deadline passed. the deadline was for a player to be waived, which he was.

basically, you can't sign a player that was on a team when the deadline passed. strickland had already been waived.
Old 03-23-2001, 03:42 PM   #13
djb
Administrator

Oh ok..that explains it. I remember he was being waived the day of or before the trade deadline. And since he couldn't be signed until 48hrs had passed, I thought the Blazers couldn't add him to their playoff roster.
Old 03-26-2001, 09:46 PM   #14
derek harper

derek harper is on a distinguished road

actually, there have been talks of jeff hornacek coming back to the jazz, so maybe rik smits could come back for the playoffs, but i highly doubt it.
derek harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 09:54 PM   #15
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

i like bill wennington [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2001, 10:40 PM   #16
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Other ideas for centers to add for the playoffs:

Bison Dele

George Muresan

Others still available: Chris Anstey, Matt Fish, Oliver Miller, John Celestand, Pete Chilcutt, Ed O'Bannon, Rex Walters, Haywood Workman, Andrew Lang, and Antoine Carr.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 02:24 AM   #17
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Damn I really wanted a mulleted-Mav
Old 03-27-2001, 02:27 AM   #18
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

I think Muresean ate a bad fish and injured his foot and Dele went crazy and skipped the country.
Old 03-27-2001, 06:08 AM   #19
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Those people CANNOT BE ON THE PLAYOFF ROSTER! It's too damn late. March 1 was the cut off! Don't you think that Khalid A., who got cut from the Bulls, would be here if we could use him in the playoffs?
Old 03-27-2001, 07:30 AM   #20
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

El-Amin was under contract with the Bulls. Apparently if you are not on a team or under contract when the deadline passed, you are eligible for the playoffs.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 09:18 AM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

exactly, madape.