Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-16-2003, 11:49 AM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fantasy football advice

ok, since you guys are obviously cowboys fans, i need a little advice...

should i start:

troy hambrick (vs. DET)

or

Eddie George (vs. CAR)

just wondering if troy has looked good enough to be a no-brainer start in this situation. eddie going against carolina is definitely not something i want to go with. just checking with you guys.

also, any advice for QB?

Brooks (vs. ATL)

or

Green (vs. OAK)

ATL gave up lots of points to STL. but brooks has been disappointing. Green looked great last week, but OAK has a decent pass D and gets picks. plus, they may use holmes all game. any ideas?
Old 10-16-2003, 12:13 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Eddie George + Trent Green. No doubt in my mind. George will score a rushing TD or a TD out of the backfield on a short pass. The guy is a workhorse even against that Carolina defense. Green is hot. Never go away from the hot player for a guy that has underachieved all season.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:20 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fantasy football advice

yeah, one would think that about eddie except he's only done that once all year (score a TD). titans are bringing in holcombe on passing downs and chirs brown on other downs throughout the games.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

I would play Hambrick and Brooks

Only reason i'd play Hambrick is because he is playing the Lions and Eddie George is going up against the Carolina Defense, the Titans run game hasn't been that strong this year, so the better option would be to go with Hambrick .

Brooks should get a start, especially after the way Bulger carved up the ATL defense last week. But at the same time Green is on a hot streak 5 td's in 2 games. Both Qb's are a great play but I'd personally play Brooks since he doesn't have to face Charles Woodson and Philip Buchanon in the secondary.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:28 PM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, in talking it out to myself, the tough decision is the QB one. pros and cons both ways. damn.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go with Hambrick. The Cowboys are more likely than the Titans to have a 2nd half lead. Parcells has shown that when he gets the lead, he's just going to try to run out the clock.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'd definitely go with Hambrick and Brooks

I wouldn't want to take ANY running back right now versus carolina.
Plus, yes, the cowboys should have the lead late in the game and should be able to pound the ball a little.

The atlanta defense is torn to high hell with injuries... throwing the ball should be of little difficulty

sure, the raiders are down, but i see them getting up for this game vs the undefeated chiefs
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:10 PM   #8
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

I would go with Hambrick. I am sure he heard the rumors all week about adding another running back via trade, so I think he produces close to a 100 yards. Plus, Detroit doesn't have a good run defense. I like Eddie George, but watching him on Sunday ticket you see he is a shadow of his former self (McNair is my qb in fantasy). Tennessee is really one dimensional right now. Eddie George doesn't make people miss anymore and goes down after initial contact way too easily these days. Unfortunately this past 2 years he has looked like a shell of his former self.

I have no idea who I would start with Brooks or Green. I would say Green because Brooks has been pretty bad this year. Although both are very inconsistent...especially Green. Green can have a game like he did on Sunday and then follow it up with a horrible game the next week. He is a major roller coaster ride.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 01:53 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

eddie's nickname around here is "one-yard eddie" cause that's all he normally gets... he gets touched once and falls down. very disappointing.

the thing with brooks this year is that he hasn't really been bad (except for the game against indy). he's gotten about 175 yards, some rushing yards, one or 2 TDs, and no picks. definitely not exceptional, but definitely not horrible... green always throws at least one pick... last week may have been an aberration for him... who knows. tough call for me.

i really appreciate the replies.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:20 PM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Go with Hambrick and Green.

Green is the quarterback of a high-powered Chiefs offense and is certain to produce at least 250 yards passing and 2 TDs throwing. Brooks has plenty of potential. Potential is what gets you killed in fantasy football. Go with the sure thing.

The Hambrick pick is situational. George doesn't get into the end zone much anyway, and many people start him when they shouldn't simply because he still has name recognition (despite declining skills). But against the Carolina defense, it's just not a smart move. Hambrick may not score a touchdown (he doesn't get into the end zone often either), but he's more likely to get a decent number of yards and be in a position to score than George is.

Old 10-16-2003, 02:35 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, Green has been the better QB this year..but not by that much. They're both probably sitting with QB ratings somewhere in the 80's.

But, the reason why i'd take Brooks is because of the defense that they are up against. The Falcons are absolutely horrible at defending the pass..they've been destroyed by injuries this year. I'm not sure where they're ranked currently against the pass, but i know they were near dead last going into last weeks game.

And yeah, I know that the Raiders defense hasn't been exactly great. But, they're a middle of the road team at defending the pass. Plus, I believe they'll play with a little extra this week when facing one of their biggest rivals..the undefeated KC Chiefs
Old 10-16-2003, 03:41 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tough call at QB, and you offer legitimate reasoning to choose Brooks. I just went back and looked at the numbers, and Brooks averages about three fewer "fantasy points" per game on average than Green.

It's all about your aversion to risk. Green is the surer thing, and Brooks has more potential to have a big day, IMO.

Old 10-16-2003, 03:44 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

oh sure..
the only reason I'd take brooks over Green is because of this matchup. Atlanta has been destroyed by injuries on the defensive side of the ball. They are very, very bad defensively.

but, one thing to look out for with brooks is that he he has a 'knack' for fumbling the ball.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:52 PM   #14
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Exactly. To the tune of 4 fumbles lost in 6 games. That's not good.

Still, if he could post a 250 yd, 3 TD type game, you'd have to like that, fumbles or not.

Old 10-16-2003, 04:13 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, and 3 of those were in the colts game... or maybe just 2.

i wouldn't even be having the eddie/hambrick debate if harrison (and boldin, for that matter) wasn't on a bye week, as this is for my wr/rb flex position.

raiders give up 200 yards per game passing, falcons give up 254. they're both awful against the run (raiders - 164, falcons - 147). i just have a gut feeling KC is gonna try to run the ball all day. and i also think the raiders are going to come out amped up.

well, no matter what i do, it's going to be the wrong decision... such is fantasy footbal.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:17 PM   #16
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

just in case anyone was wondering, i'm going with hambrick and brooks... why do i have to like the saints? brooks is sucking me in again, i can feel it... but i can't stop starting him...

feel free to release the "i told you so's" if this is the wrong decision...
Old 10-17-2003, 05:25 PM   #17
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Fantasy football advice

big boy,

i use this method to choose my starting lineup on a weekly basis. It worked very well so far.

http://www.fftoday.com/stats/all_tot.htm

DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #18
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

That Brooks play is looking smart right now BBL. He already has 2 TDs in the first quarter.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 01:47 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

yep, BBL, glad you went with Brooks

he's sitting with 3 td's and almost 300 yards passing at the half while completing 15 of 18 passes.

gotta love that

I told ya that the Falcons defense was banged up and couldn't play the pass
Old 10-20-2003, 09:31 AM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

brooks and hambrick was definitely the way to go... unless green plays out of his mind. but hambrick had the better day over george. except that damn fumble. i thought his forward progress was stopped.

word of advice to anyone. start everyone that plays against the falcons! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2003, 07:51 AM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

man, i won 128.90 to 119. if i had started either green or george, i'd have lost. 119 was the second most points of the week. gotta hate it when that happens.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:15 PM   #22
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I got (2) dilemma's:

1) Who would you start @ QB this week. Collins vs Vikings or Bledsoe vs Chiefs?

2) I set my lineups 2 weeks in advance and if an injury happens than I will change it at the last minute. I do this because if I get busy at work, than I know at least I am set for 2 weeks. Well I started looking at my lineup for week 9 and this is the first time this year where I have everybody healthy and I am confused on who to start and who to sit.

QB Favre, Brett (QB-GB) @Min
WR Owens, Terrell (WR-SF) @ StL
WR Bruce, Isaac (WR-StL) @SF
WR Porter, Jerry (WR-Oak) @Det
RB Williams, Moe (RB-Min) @ GB
RB Hearst, Garrison (RB-SF) @ StL
TE Conwell, Ernie (TE-NO) @TB
WR/TE McCardell, Keenan (WR-TB) @ NO
WR/RB Moss, Santana (WR-NYJ) @ NYG
Bench Collins, Kerry (QB-NYG) @NYJ
Bench Thrash, James (WR-Phi) @Atl
Bench Thomas, Anthony (RB-Chi) @ SD
Bench Rice, Jerry (WR-Oak) @Det
Bench Faulk, Marshall (RB-StL) @SF Sun

Somebody help me!

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:28 PM   #23
DNNF
Golden Member

I would go with Collins this week. The giants will most likely play from behind because their pass defense is awfull and collins will have to air it out.

As far as week 9. You might want to watch the marshall faulk situation. He's expect to be back for the 49ers' game. Moe william production will get cut down since Michael Bennett will return and the rookie O. smith also get his fair share of carries.

Old 10-22-2003, 01:34 PM   #24
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Well I am starting Collins as of right now, unless someone can give me a reason to Pick up Bledsoe.

I know Faulk will be back, but he sucked before he got injured so I don't know about him yet. The one thing going for Faulk is that his legs will be Very Fresh.

I knew that bennett was coming back, but Moe Williams has done such an outstanding job while he was gone, I just don't see how they could just totally kill has his touches for Bennetts first game back. He will have some rust thats for sure.

I guess I am just more confused on all the weapons I have now and I don't know who would do the best against each opponent they are facing!

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 10-22-2003, 02:02 PM   #25
DNNF
Golden Member

also like A train against SD. You might want to look into that. I am a M. Faulk owner as well. He will come back in the second half. Just take a look at St. Louis remaining schedule. It's a walk in the park.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:09 AM   #26
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

This is my team this week, and I was wondering if I should start Jerry Porter (playing the Jets this week.) Should I start him over somebody and whats your reasoning? I also am sitting Marshall Faulk this week as well, even though he is starting on Sunday.

QB Favre, Brett (QB-GB) Phi -
WR Bruce, Isaac (WR-StL) Bal -
WR Rice, Jerry (WR-Oak) NYJ -
WR Moss, Santana (WR-NYJ) @Oak -
RB Williams, Moe (RB-Min) @SD -
RB Thomas, Anthony (RB-Chi) @Det -
TE Smith, L.J. (TE-Phi) @GB -
WR/TE McCardell, Keenan (WR-TB) @Car -
WR/RB Thrash, James (WR-Phi) @GB -
K Vanderjagt, Mike (K-Ind) @Jac -
DEF Dallas (DEF-Dal) Buf

Old 11-05-2003, 02:29 AM   #27
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

If that was my team I would go with Porter over Thrash because McNabb has only thrown a TD to one WR the whole season.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:21 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

i'd start porter over rice

keep thrash...mcnabb has looked better recently plus oakland is starting ther 3rd string QB.

Old 11-05-2003, 02:28 PM   #29
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

I went ahead and started Faulk and am sitting both Rice and Porter. I just don't have the confidence of a 3rd string QB in Oakland. It might blow up in my face, but I am hoping maybe Faulk will get touches in the Red Zone.